Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

While I was visiting my grandmother for Christmas, I ended up getting donuts from a little hole-in-the-wall place near her house. As soon as I saw the place I immediately thought of this thread, so I decided to check some figures. The place was at the very edge of a little strip mall anchored by a gas station. They had 2 parking spaces (there was other parking, but the other businesses seemed to use most of those and there were just 2 spots in front that had "Donut Parking Only 5-10 Min" signs in front of them). I went in and there was one customer in front of me. Total amount of time I spent from walking into the store to walking out with my dozen chocolate glazed donuts was 2 minutes and 57 seconds. (They did take Apple Pay, which helped speed things up by a few seconds.) Total amount I paid was $12.25.

This is how the place looked:

The lady at the shop threw in a half-dozen chocolate donut holes for free, as well:

This was in suburban DFW, in an area with a median household income of around $63,000. After I left there wasn't another customer coming in after me, and the place seemed fairly slow, but it was also ten in the morning on Christmas Eve.

Rationale posted:

Obviously there are downsides in needing refrigeration as well as 10 eggs and 3 sticks of butter in like 27 doughnuts but brioche is pretty easy and very good so I’m gonna gently caress around with brioche instead of buttermilk now.

If you are serving any type of coffee drink other than regular drip, you're going to need refrigerators for the milk that you'll need to store. I don't think it's possible to execute the plans you've made so far without having a refrigerator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

the plans you've made so far

buddy,

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

LanceHunter posted:

While I was visiting my grandmother for Christmas, I ended up getting donuts from a little hole-in-the-wall place near her house.

Congrats, you've put more effort and thought into this than op

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

The lady at the shop threw in a half-dozen chocolate donut holes for free, as well:

These hexagonal donuts are way too futuristic for me.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LanceHunter posted:

Excuse me, but where is the "I could get killed at any moment in this place" ambiance? gently caress you for trying to fancify OP's dream donut delivery experience! There's no room for frills like "a likely murder-free experience" or "no fear of getting stuck by a used needle" if OP's gonna be stacking cash like he plans wants to.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This sign is probably more fitting

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This sign is probably more fitting

Are the taco shells two donuts?

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam

LanceHunter posted:

There’s tons of places in Illinois that look like this but they’re just a “restaurant” so they can fill the space with slot machines.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Did y’all determine if OP is doing a bit I don’t wanna read 30 pages

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
OP - I recall this Japanese grandma who has a similar hovel to yours selling food out of vending machines. She operates them manually talking through the speakers or with a puppet. She's on to something here. I'm pretty sure you could cobble together a similar setup with all the fine equipment you've been buying.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1480379813131358211

https://soranews24.com/2022/01/19/meet-the-japanese-grandma-who-manually-operates-vending-machines-in-the-countryside/

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

I'm lazy and expect others to cater to my laziness

You're in luck, there's a handy link to all the good posts. It's the little question mark under my avatar

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

the yeti posted:

It's still unclear, but he's certainly committed to the bit if so, and it is 100% worth your time to read.

Dough not skip this thread!!!!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

Probably a troll and it’s been a bit boring recently , but overall gotta give it , funny either way.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Volmarias posted:

It's still unclear, but he's certainly committed to the bit if so, and it is 100% worth your time to read.

Dough not skip this thread!!!!

Agree. Just enjoy the ride for what it is: A good thread.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably a troll and it’s been a bit boring recently , but overall gotta give it , funny either way.

If the op is trolling then it's the stupid 'hrrrr jokes on you guys I was only pretending' kind in which case he's still a dumbass

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I can be trolling and also getting into a coffee and doughnut situation

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

This is why I like this guy

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Rationale posted:

I’m glad you understand that you’re getting into a coffee and doughnut situation, and not a coffee and doughnut profitable business. It seems like the thread has been valuable.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

Joyful seasons everyone

The brioche was delightful. Easy to work with and it proofed up really nicely. Also there wasn’t any wasted dough. The doughnuts were shaped by push/pinching them until there was a round side and then setting them ugly side down to proof. If I were doing this at scale I’d take pk’s advice about a dough divider because same-sized chunks of dough don’t always make the same sized doughnut.

Anyway I couldn’t find my thermo so I ended up frying them shits a capella and I only wasted like a sixth of them before they started coming out nice. Most of them had the pretty proof ring and just one doughnut got greasy/soggy.

Then I shot em full of chocolate cream which was halfway butter before I gave up on a smooth mixture. Nobody noticed the lovely filling and everyone told me they loved the dough

Obviously there are downsides in needing refrigeration as well as 10 eggs and 3 sticks of butter in like 27 doughnuts but brioche is pretty easy and very good so I’m gonna gently caress around with brioche instead of buttermilk now.

The silver lining to all the extra dough expense is the opportunity to work with local farmers and be like “today we have Eli’s butter and bill’s eggs” maybe even flock and herd pics

Yeah looks like you’re figuring out the pros and cons of brioche. I have a customer facing reach in cooler for some milk and yogurts for peeps to grab but I’ve been using it as overflow for some eggs and butter and it’s been fun to be able to show custies exactly why donuts are so expensive, it’s because I use the same hella good eggs and butter in my hella good croissants!

Getting into fillings and glazes and such will require the most specialized knowledge, imo. Bread is wild n crazy but sugar and eggs are two of the most complex foods to work with. You might pick up the textbook Advanced Bread and Pastry, it’s really pretty intermediate and not everything directly applies but it will give you base knowledge to pursue more interesting garnishes going forward.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
If only all of this were real, we'd be able to tell OP that he's never going to get anywhere if he keeps changing the type of dough he's going to center his business on each time he runs into a new option.

But since this is all a joke anyway, why not experiment some more and find a new type of dough each month, just to justify reversing another month of progress in donut development

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rationale posted:

this post was leaps and bounds better than the post it was replying to, and it's the comedy aspect of this thread that keeps it rolling

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

EricBauman posted:

If only all of this were real, we'd be able to tell OP that he's never going to get anywhere if he keeps changing the type of dough he's going to center his business on each time he runs into a new option.

But since this is all a joke anyway, why not experiment some more and find a new type of dough each month, just to justify reversing another month of progress in donut development

More like d'oh, am I right?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dough-not miss this thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020879

BFC mods seeking feedback on modding and subforum rules for 2023

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Tarnop posted:

Have you considered Vibes, the low effort, great tasting alternative to Plan

Giraffe posted:

Also, I know there's no way to calculate what it costs to make a donut or how much to sell it for, but

Holy poo poo lmao

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

EricBauman posted:

This is absolutely bonkers. Being that I literally don’t know about doughs why wouldn’t I familiarize myself?

Do you think that I think I’ll come up with a better recipe than my distributor?

Do you think the story will be “everything is built, everything is official. I’ll open as soon as I like the doughnuts.”?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Rationale posted:

This is absolutely bonkers. Being that I literally don’t know about doughs why wouldn’t I familiarize myself?

Do you think that I think I’ll come up with a better recipe than my distributor?

Do you think the story will be “everything is built, everything is official. I’ll open as soon as I like the doughnuts.”?

You’re right about this one. That poster got carried away lol

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
So buttermilk/cake donuts are cool and actually perfect for a lot of applications

Making them in my driveway it occurred to me that the whole setup could fit in a four-door car along with two people who could fry and finish a few hundred per hour for the entire horse gender reveal party.

There’s a reason there are like forty cake-only operations closer than the nearest honest-to-goodness doughnut shop and that’s because cake is easier and faster. They’ll still charge 2-3 times what dunkin does and they’re open.

But yeast dough is better than cake dough I’m a snob now and I do doughnuts not donuts.

E: also we’re having a baby June or July we’ll see what that does to the schedule

Rationale fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 1, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rationale posted:

E: also we’re having a baby June or July we’ll see what that does to the schedule

Congratulations! Your wife will be incredibly happy with you spending more time with the family no time with the family due to your new work at home in a donut hovel 90 hours a week profitable business doughnut hovel!

OK that's excessively mean. I genuinely mean it, congratulations, and I genuinely hope that 2023 brings you financial and personal and doughnut success. I doubt it, but I'm hopeful!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Congratulations!

Iirc this is young kid #3 and your wife is the only reliable paycheck coming in? Ymmv obviously, but to me it seems like this would be a good time to get more risk-averse, and also a good time to spend more time with your family / caring for your kids. I mean, I love donuts and restaurant supplies, but it seems like a good time to minimize betting

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Rationale posted:

Aw, man, this thread totally jumped the shark this season. What's next, a long-lost evil twin?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Aw, man, this thread totally jumped the shark this season. What's next, a long-lost evil twin?

childhood rival owns the best cake shop and is putting the other ones out of business.

the only way to save the town is if this big city baker visiting for the holidays learns to love small town america and maybe, just maybe, love someone else as well.

wait that second one was a hallmark movie sorry.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

An ominous donut doughnut shack murder brings the FBI to town when they find clues that it may be the work of a donut doughnut themed serial killer

Twin Peaks but it IS about the donuts doughnuts this time

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
These people have the audacity to dunk yeast doughnuts in batter before they fry them

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

hallo spacedog posted:

An ominous donut doughnut shack murder brings the FBI to town when they find clues that it may be the work of a donut doughnut themed serial killer

Twin Peaks but it IS about the donuts doughnuts this time

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

:perfect:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Holy poo poo

If their avatar wasn't so good already I would already have plonked the $20 down for an av change

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Giraffe posted:

I'm getting the vibe that you like the problem-solving aspects of starting this business (e.g. figuring out the best way to make donuts, optimizing the process, designing the kitchen, sourcing the equipment, etc.) than the business itself. Which is kind of like having kids because you love newborn babies.
I feel like you maybe took away the wrong message from this post, Rationale.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I’ve never seen the show because I’m too busy squandering my time and money

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Fun vid for thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JRyenMZ6u4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I got some donuts from Dunkin' today. solid but unspectacular, as always. I'm a fan of their sour cream donuts in particular. also tried the turkey sausage english muffin: mediocre.

anyway, thread, figured you all may want to know that baddog and I have posted updated rules for BFC. have a look:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021411