Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Does slow stack? My gm ruled it that it does today but, I can't find anything online to support that. (It was in my favor so I wasnt going to complain at the time but dropping an npc from 3 to 1 or even 0 feels unbalanced)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jiffypop45 posted:

Does slow stack? My gm ruled it that it does today but, I can't find anything online to support that. (It was in my favor so I wasnt going to complain at the time but dropping an npc from 3 to 1 or even 0 feels unbalanced)

Yes, it does, it's very clear in the condition's definition in the CRB: https://2e.aonprd.com/Conditions.aspx?ID=35

e: unless you mean applying slow 1 multiple times and it going slow 1>2>3 which doesn't work that way, see https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=774

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 21, 2022

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Arivia posted:

Yes, it does, it's very clear in the condition's definition in the CRB: https://2e.aonprd.com/Conditions.aspx?ID=35

e: unless you mean applying slow 1 multiple times and it going slow 1>2>3 which doesn't work that way, see https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=774

My sorcerer casts slow. They are slowed 1. They have one less action. My sorcerer casts slow again. Do they have 2 less actions now?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jiffypop45 posted:

My sorcerer casts slow. They are slowed 1. They have one less action. My sorcerer casts slow again. Do they have 2 less actions now?

No. See redundant conditions in the second link.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

jiffypop45 posted:

Assuming they failed both saves, they are slowed 1 for 1 minute, and slowed 1 for 1 minute.

Conditions never stack unless otherwise specified (there are things that specifically stack enfeebled - shadows - or drained - vampires).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cyouni posted:

Assuming they failed both saves, they are slowed 1 for 1 minute, and slowed 1 for 1 minute.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, but:
"When you’re affected by the same thing multiple times, only one instance applies, using the higher level of the effects, or the newer effect if the two are the same level. For example, if you were using mage armor and then cast it again, you’d still benefit from only one casting of that spell. Casting a spell again on the same target might get you a better duration or effect if it were cast at a higher level the second time, but otherwise doing so gives you no advantage."

So, 2 copies of slow just resets the duration. This is relevant in case someone was trying to dispel it from you, for instance. There aren't 2 copies to dispel, only the stronger one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Toshimo posted:

I'm not sure where you are going with this

Cyouni posted:

Conditions never stack unless otherwise specified

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This is beyond just conditions, though.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Ghoran ancestry is pretty rad thematically and I am a sucker for cool unarmed attacks. Now I just need to find a game I can play one in

https://2e.aonprd.com/Ancestries.aspx?ID=52

e: I never played PF1 but I assume they were in it since there seems to be a lot of info about them already

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ooh, I missed that that was out... time to update my orders list.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Syrinxx posted:

The Ghoran ancestry is pretty rad thematically and I am a sucker for cool unarmed attacks. Now I just need to find a game I can play one in

e: I never played PF1 but I assume they were in it since there seems to be a lot of info about them already

Yes, Ghorans existed in 1e, but a lot of info? No, not really, but there is some.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

they were the original option for "So you want to play as a plant?" before playable leshies turned out to be more popular. Possibly because they don't have the "Everything finds you delicious and also you can plant yourself a new body every so often" baggage.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

"everything finds you delicious" owns though

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Some people just wanna be tasty and there's nothing wrong with that. Leshies are adorable as hell though which is a strong positive in their favor.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Foundry is :10bux: off

https://foundryvtt.com/purchase/

I guess no real point in getting it if you're just a player though?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Foundry is :10bux: off

https://foundryvtt.com/purchase/

I guess no real point in getting it if you're just a player though?

Not unless you're planning on GMing, no.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Syrinxx posted:

I also was looking at the needles build.

Looks neat.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I was considering a Champion character with Barbarian dedication for a game and was wondering how the Titan Mauler thing works. In that case you would get the ability to use oversized weapons at lv 6? But how do you calculate their damage? The basic rulebook has rules for hoe their bulk changes, but tables for large sized weapons don't seem to be there.

Also, is there a martial class based book coming out at some time? Samurai at least doesn't exist in 2nd ed yet, or does it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ataxerxes posted:

I was considering a Champion character with Barbarian dedication for a game and was wondering how the Titan Mauler thing works. In that case you would get the ability to use oversized weapons at lv 6? But how do you calculate their damage? The basic rulebook has rules for hoe their bulk changes, but tables for large sized weapons don't seem to be there.

Also, is there a martial class based book coming out at some time? Samurai at least doesn't exist in 2nd ed yet, or does it?

The samurai seems exceptionally unlikely as a class. I could see an archetype showing up if/when we get a Tian Xia
Book, but until then, you can mostly get there as a Champion with some Cavalier and Marshal archetype feats. It never really occupied a particularly unique or interesting niche mechanically in 1e, as, essentially, a reskinned Cavalier, and they’ve been pretty clear about trying to avoid new classes that don’t bring something mechanically unique to the table at this stage of 2e.

As for big weapons, the increased rage damage for a Titan mauler is the benefit for large weapons. There’s no damage difference inherent to them.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My SoT players just used Soothing Spring for the first time. Taking a break to chill in a hot tub while on a dungeon crawl is rad as poo poo :hellyeah:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

So I've been playing in a Blood Lords campaign for the last few months. Great campaign, super cool. But gently caress the player's guide for recommending undead bloodline for a sorcerer. Harm has been great to have (our entire party has negative healing), but when 80% of the enemies are undead and positive energy is super illegal, I've had a real lack of options in most encounters. Even with some of the house rules my GM has used to throw me a bone, it feels like it was mostly a trap option.

I just... needed to get that off my chest.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

5-Headed Snake God posted:

So I've been playing in a Blood Lords campaign for the last few months. Great campaign, super cool. But gently caress the player's guide for recommending undead bloodline for a sorcerer. Harm has been great to have (our entire party has negative healing), but when 80% of the enemies are undead and positive energy is super illegal, I've had a real lack of options in most encounters. Even with some of the house rules my GM has used to throw me a bone, it feels like it was mostly a trap option.

The divine spell list isn't big on DD, no matter the scenario, but you've got all of these by level 3 (In addition to your innate Chill Touch) to at least have some options:
• Daze (Mental)
• Haunting Hymn (Sonic)
• Admonishing Ray (Bludgeoning)
• Animate Dead (Varies)
• Concordant Choir (Sonic)
• Summon Lesser Servitor (Varies)
• Inner Radiance Torrent (Force)
• Sound Burst (Sonic)
• Spiritual Weapon (Force)

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm planning on playing my first game of 2e soon. I've been thinking about making either a bard or barbarian.

For the barbarian, I'm leaning towards the animal instinct subclass. Are the intimidation feats worth investing in? It seems like it be hard to invest enough points into Charisma, along with Str/Con/Dex. An Athletics build that focuses on either trip or grapple seems like it would be easier to build.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

players guides for PF always have a mix of "this is mechanically good" options and "this makes sense lore/flavor-wise" options, undead sorcerer is definitely the latter (just like all the ice character options in Reign of Winter were...)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I'm planning on playing my first game of 2e soon. I've been thinking about making either a bard or barbarian.

For the barbarian, I'm leaning towards the animal instinct subclass. Are the intimidation feats worth investing in? It seems like it be hard to invest enough points into Charisma, along with Str/Con/Dex. An Athletics build that focuses on either trip or grapple seems like it would be easier to build.

Both are really strong options - intimidation builds own bones and I love demoralize and barbarians in particular get some fun toys and get to avoid some of the skill feat taxes for going all in on demoralize. The Charisma investment is real, but remember that you only need 14 Dex at start (Hide/Scale armor) and 16 Dex at level 5 (if taking Animal Skin at 6, which, as a net +4 AC vs. Medium Armor while raging is a Good Trade), which makes the overall build pretty manageable. So, for example, on a human, a starting stat line of something like 18/14/12/10/10/14 is fine

A Goblin, Azarketi, Catfolk, or Skeleton could do 18/14/14/8/10/14 or 18/14/12/8/10/16 (flip Wis/Int for Skeleton).

As to which is better a lot of that depends on how you’ll support your allies and how they’ll support you. If the party has a high Charisma face type who can grab Bon Mot, that’s a tremendous enabler for an intimidator and you should absolutely play into that combo. If on the other hand you’re gonna have a fighter buddy with attack of opportunity, maybe consider athletics for the ability to use force enemies into provoking Attacks of Opportunity (forced movement doesn’t provoke… but forced movement can… y’know, force someone to move on their own turn which absolutely does provoke.)

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks! Both sound reasonable, so I'll see what the rest of the group ends up playing to see which fits best.

Also, is it worthwhile to use a shield? I would still have one free hand for maneuvers and just one action needed to raise a shield. I'm not sure how combat tends to play out with barbarians. I imagine once you get in to melee range, one action would be to intimidate or grapple/trip, one for a strike, and then either a second strike or raise shield. At least that's how it's looking to me at lower levels.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 31, 2022

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Thanks! Both sound reasonable, so I'll see what the rest of the group ends up playing to see which fits best.

Also, is it worthwhile to use a shield? I would still have one free hand for maneuvers and just one action needed to raise a shield. I'm not sure how combat tends to play out with barbarians. I imagine once you get in to melee range, one action would be to intimidate or grapple/trip, one for a strike, and then either a second strike or raise shield. At least that's how it's looking to me at lower levels.

It’s worth having a shield on hand absolutely; if nothing else, it’s a third action to gain +2AC, which is never a bad choice. Whether you invest in that further for things like blocking is much more of a thing to build around. Keep in mind also that Grapple and Trip are attack actions, so they increase (and are affected by) your Multiple Attack Penalty the same as a Strike does.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's not super difficult to support having four good stats in Pathfinder 2e (presuming one is Wisdom) due to how ability boosts work. Things even out in the long-run except for your #1 stat and you're getting increases to four stats as that happens.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Arivia posted:

It's not super difficult to support having four good stats in Pathfinder 2e (presuming one is Wisdom) due to how ability boosts work. Things even out in the long-run except for your #1 stat and you're getting increases to four stats as that happens.

And it’s not the end of the world if wisdom starts a little low, so long as you’re boosting it later. The trick is that, for most characters that care about doing this (generally Str based martials) there’s a hard cap on how much DEX is useful, so you can stop boosting it at 5 at the latest.

(That said, Dex up to that cap is probably the single most important early game Defensive stat, and is worth skipping Con for in a way that would be anathema to players of most other editions of d20 based games)

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think the idea is to play the Outlaws of Alkenstar adventure path, which I think ends at level 10. If strength starts at 18, I wouldn't be able to get +5 until the end. Is it worth skipping leveling it up in place for wis and con?

Also thanks for clarifying that trip/grabble count as attacks. I totally glossed over that reading through the rules.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I think the idea is to play the Outlaws of Alkenstar adventure path, which I think ends at level 10. If strength starts at 18, I wouldn't be able to get +5 until the end. Is it worth skipping leveling it up in place for wis and con?

Also thanks for clarifying that trip/grabble count as attacks. I totally glossed over that reading through the rules.

To mitigate the trip = attack issues there's some feats that only start counting MAP after you've done the attacks, so like this one for Fighter:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=372

Lets you attack and trip at your max bonus which is pretty cool. Not sure if there's a barbarian equivalent.

You can also take the Assurance (Athletics) skill which lets you use trip/grapple but doesn't consider it an attack. Trouble is you can't get a good roll with Assurance since you aren't rolling, so it could just be an auto-fail.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

To mitigate the trip = attack issues there's some feats that only start counting MAP after you've done the attacks, so like this one for Fighter:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=372

Lets you attack and trip at your max bonus which is pretty cool. Not sure if there's a barbarian equivalent.

You can also take the Assurance (Athletics) skill which lets you use trip/grapple but doesn't consider it an attack. Trouble is you can't get a good roll with Assurance since you aren't rolling, so it could just be an auto-fail.

Assurance athletics is great Vs mooks or enemies with lopsided saves where you can identify a clear weak point, but it’s not as good as it seems at first glance. Unless of course, your use case is jumping. Assurance + Athletics rules for jumping. You can jump so goddamn far.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absolutely a valid choice to not chase the 20 Str if you won’t go past 10.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm playing a Gunslinger in a Blood Lords game and the class is alright but I get to use my special class feature reloads like one out of every three encounters and it's lame as hell. Hopefully we stop fighting bunches of mindless undead soon.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

You can also take the Assurance (Athletics) skill which lets you use trip/grapple but doesn't consider it an attack.

This isn't really correct. Attempting to trip or grapple someone while using the Assurance feat would still be an attack that increased your MAP penalty for any following attacks that turn, as the Trip and Grapple actions both have the 'attack' trait. Assurance just replaces the part of the Athletics check where you would make a d20 roll with a flat result that ignores modifiers other than your proficiency bonus, so it wouldn't include any existing multiple attack penalty.

The combo is to make a bunch of attacks as normal first, and then use Assurance to trip or grapple last while your MAP is high to ignore it. This should be especially effective early on or for skills that use an ability score that isn't a priority for you, but even later on when your Strength modifier might be maxed out at +7 with equipment for a +3 item bonus that still washes out against a -10 MAP.

Just raw swinging a hammer or flail that automatically inflicts prone on crit is still going to be a better bet most of the time, though. Even a -10 MAP strike could still roll a nat 20.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 2, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Vanguard Warden posted:

This isn't really correct. Attempting to trip or grapple someone while using the Assurance feat would still be an attack that increased your MAP penalty for any following attacks that turn, as the Trip and Grapple actions both have the 'attack' trait. Assurance just replaces the part of the Athletics check where you would make a d20 roll with a flat result that ignores modifiers other than your proficiency bonus, so it wouldn't include any existing multiple attack penalty.

The combo is to make a bunch of attacks as normal first, and then use Assurance to trip or grapple last while your MAP is high to ignore it. This should be especially effective early on or for skills that use an ability score that isn't a priority for you, but even later on when your Strength modifier might be maxed out at +7 with equipment for a +3 item bonus that still washes out against a -10 MAP.

Just raw swinging a hammer or flail that automatically inflicts prone on crit is still going to be a better bet most of the time, though. Even a -10 MAP strike could still roll a nat 20.

At -10 that’s at 20 is likely to be a hit, not a crit though. Remember, nat 20 is +1 degree of success - if that 20, -10 MAP, and let’s say, +10 to hit from Str/Proficiency/Items, a 20 will hit sometimes, but often won’t, so the nat turns it into a hit, not a crit.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Vanguard Warden posted:

Nah, this is definitely not true, especially if you're targeting the right save - my favourite example will still always be guaranteed trip on the level 7 elephant as a level 7 master. You can guarantee success quite a bit through smart Assurance use, and if you can't you were probably not hitting with a -10 anyways.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cyouni posted:

Nah, this is definitely not true, especially if you're targeting the right save - my favourite example will still always be guaranteed trip on the level 7 elephant as a level 7 master. You can guarantee success quite a bit through smart Assurance use, and if you can't you were probably not hitting with a -10 anyways.

Only if you Enlarge yourself first (which is likely metagaming).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's a halfliing feat for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Only if you Enlarge yourself first (which is likely metagaming).

yeah what actually "counts" as metagaming? seems like it often comes up that you want the person in the party with the highest skill in X to do a check, but it's "metagaming" to say that?