Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A simple rewrite: we open with a flashback to the events of Avatar 1, from a different perspective. Quarritch is preparing for his final battle against Jake Sully. He lays out the plan, prepares his gear, and finally uploads a backup copy of his memories. Smash-cut to 15 Years Later. Now we can follow Quarritch 2 as he learns what the gently caress he's missed: the status of the colonial project, what Jake's activities have been, etc.

With this all firmly established, we can then smoothly transition to the Sullys' perspective: a reveal, to new audiences, that public enemy #1 - the terrifying insurgent Jakesully - is just a dopey family guy.

tbqh, i think i would've preferred something closer to this. the first fifteen minutes or so of this film are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It is kind of a weird flaw of the film that when Jakesama Bin Sully finds out he's being hunted by the Americans, instead of further fortifying his mountain fortress and using it to bait his enemies into ambushes and putting more patrols on key Na'vi assets such as the Ikran roosts, he panics and flees over the border to Pakistan Metkayina. Its an awkward and contrived way to tell the story of the water tribe.

But whatever who cares, sometimes these things can be brushed over.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Horizon Burning posted:

tbqh, i think i would've preferred something closer to this. the first fifteen minutes or so of this film are weird.
It would have been a neat change, and very "Cameronesque", but I wonder if Disney would have allowed him to have a bad guy protagonist for even 15 minutes.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

with the 9 hour cut of a3 i hope we just get an entire remake of blade runner fc as a subplot for q2

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

It is kind of a weird flaw of the film that when Jakesama Bin Sully finds out he's being hunted by the Americans, instead of further fortifying his mountain fortress and using it to bait his enemies into ambushes and putting more patrols on key Na'vi assets such as the Ikran roosts, he panics and flees over the border to Pakistan Metkayina. Its an awkward and contrived way to tell the story of the water tribe.

But whatever who cares, sometimes these things can be brushed over.

I mean seems fair given he's seen firsthand how they'll go literally scorched earth given the slightest excuse

Also,

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

atrus50 posted:

with the 9 hour cut of a3 i hope we just get an entire remake of blade runner fc as a subplot for q2
Having the protagonist be a morally conflicted enforcer working for the oppressive system can be a very effective choice, especially in post-apocalyptic cyberpunk stories. Blade Runner, Judge Dredd, Robocop and Alita Battle Angel are all examples of that. They start out catching legitimate bad guys, but then the story turns to the system itself - or at least central people in it - being the greater villain.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean seems fair given he's seen firsthand how they'll go literally scorched earth given the slightest excuse
Everything changed when the scorched earth nation attacked.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

teagone posted:

MY EYES!!!

The other shots in your post are fine but lol at this one. Absolutely hideous, reads like a meme

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That shot was specifically composited for 3D, it looks pretty rad in that context.

e: The display is itself stereo within the narrative of the film, so when the camera moves behind the display there is an inversion of the 3D that makes it clear that you're viewing the display from behind. Even the eyelines between the Navi Quaritch and recording Quaritch align with each other, as I recall. It's a shot that you couldn't get without stereoscopy and one that doesn't work without it. In 2D it looks like nonsense, to the point where he should have used an alt take.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 2, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Horizon Burning posted:

"Hi, I'm Jake! Life is fun on Pandora! I have four kids, one of whom I adopted from my dead commander's inert clone."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Halloween Jack posted:

"Hi, I'm Jake! Life is fun on Pandora! I have four kids, one of whom I adopted from my dead commander's inert clone."

"There's also this human kid that we treat like a wild animal"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know hippies get tough feet, but the kid is climbing mountains. Also, can't Navi jump like fleas? How is he keeping up?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lmfao at the buzzcut avatar.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I know hippies get tough feet, but the kid is climbing mountains. Also, can't Navi jump like fleas? How is he keeping up?

I’d agree but I prefer what we got to a typical human left behind kind of thing. He was competent, intelligent, cunning and not a drag at all.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fsmhunk posted:

Lmfao at the buzzcut avatar.

I know it’s so the audience has a quick way of recognizing all the avatars but it was pretty funny.

*wakes up in alien body* WHERES MY POMADE?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

The thing is Quaritch 2 being speed run through Na'vi culture with the help of Spider in TWOW does function on its own; it helps prop up the father/son family dynamics that are introduced in the film.

The problem here is that that’s not the narrative; the family dynamic thing is ‘just’ an aspect of the characterization of the antagonist, where there’s a tension between his affection for his nephew and his dedication to ‘the mission.’ Q2 tries to have it both ways, but it culminates in the cliche scene of him being forced to choose at knifepoint.

The drama consequently depends on Q2’s dedication to ‘the mission’ being so strong that killing his own nephew is a distinct possibility. And that psychological investment is not established in the narrative - or, even, in the plot. [If Q2 let his nephew die at the end, what would that have accomplished? (Does anyone expect that the entire Sully family (and the water people, and the whale...)) would just surrender and let Q2 hold them at gunpoint on a sinking ship until... what? Backup arrives? No backup ever arrives in the film. So is Q2 just dumb and crazy?]

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You can just say son and not nephew smg

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Halloween Jack posted:

Ha this opening rules. Just moves right past that crazy fact drop. Lion kings a baby like all fathers do, and then family photo!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

I know it’s so the audience has a quick way of recognizing all the avatars but it was pretty funny.

It just makes me wonder what their brain tentacles look like when they aren't covered in hair.

Gatts posted:

I’d agree but I prefer what we got to a typical human left behind kind of thing. He was competent, intelligent, cunning and not a drag at all.
This is supposedly, like, the most magicalest imaginational movie franchise ever. I'm just saying give him some jump boots.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 2, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
edit:dp

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeterSciretta/status/1609972778828189696
I've seen it in 3D tonight. I didn't notice HFR-transitions, but think I subtly felt some scenes looked better than others - might have been just imagination. It was in RealD 3D.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

General Ardmore: "He is not your son."
Some 9-year-old in the audience: "Yes he is." :kiddo:

Halloween Jack posted:

Jake gives him a boost up, and the other kids probably do that too, when they're not teasing him for being a small monkey.

Nuts and Gum posted:

They even gave them their tattoos. Z-Dog (Z-Dawg?) must have cost a fortune in tattoo artist time, if they didn't just laser print that poo poo.

Vir fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 2, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1609973180881596416

It’s days away from passing Top Gun Maverick and becoming the best selling movie at the box office released in 2022 and is picking up momentum. How does he do it folks

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How much of this is the same people seeing it multiple times? Loads of people have said they're going back for more while it's still in cinemas.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I've seen it three times because of different groups, and I didn't get to see it in 3D before tonight. But that's probably enough for me until Avatar 3 comes out - I'll see 1 and 2 again before seeing 3. I've seen the first Avatar two times in total so far. I'm not trying to set a record for most viewings.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Just saw it, pretty cool. Not great imo but fun to see on the big screen and some good action.

Call me crazy but I'm starting to think that this James Cameron guy likes the ocean...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

stev posted:

How much of this is the same people seeing it multiple times? Loads of people have said they're going back for more while it's still in cinemas.

I saw the first Avatar movie 4 times at the theater. I might see TWOW again this week, not sure yet though since COVID cases are spiking in my area; would be my 3rd time if I go. I brought my brother and dad to see it when I saw it the 2nd time, and I've convinced at least 5 others to go see it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’ll probably see it again at least one more time. I’ll take a buddy most likely to see it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
There’s only 10 people watching avatar clearly and half are in this thread. They just post and avatar over and over until one day it all just kind of ends.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
i'll probably go see it again. took our 10 yo the first time, probably will take roommate and/or partner this time

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Nuts and Gum posted:

All humans will just swap to avatar bodies in the future as they move to pandora, so best to get in on the ground level now and invest in giant sunglasses and sweaters. Also extra large bubble gum.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

US Marine Jake Sully is a master of joint combined combat operations, but doesn't know what a moonpool or welldeck is.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I mean, no movie looks like this so I'll prolly see it again eventually too. Rare to see this level of craft in a theater.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

But it's not his son?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

But it's not his son?

Yeah well he calls him son in the movie even after saying he’s not his dad in the beginning. You can choose to interpret that how you will but Quarritch 2 has accepted that spider is his son.

Like did you miss the whole a Son for a Son line? (Rhetorical question)

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
she was actually saying "a sun for a sun." thought it was pretty obvious given the eclipse, smdh goons

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I watched this for the second time tonight. Not much to say other than it still slaps and I think Jermaine Clement’s character is wearing a future-band T-shirt.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I watched this for the second time tonight. Not much to say other than it still slaps and I think Jermaine Clement’s character is wearing a future-band T-shirt.

Want that shirt

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Kiri’s voice was really off putting

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

James Cameron is objectively a better artist/director/writer than Joss Whedon, yes.

Bugblatter posted:

Well, no one is going to contest that.

*cough*

I'm not contesting it because I prefer Whedon's films, I'm contesting it because I find the idea of "objectively good/bad" art very silly. At most you're describing some critics consensus. And, sure, most critics probably agree that Cameron is a better director than Whedon, but they first and foremost agree that neither is particularly interesting. See: The recent Sight and Sound poll that has zero James Cameron (or Whedon) movies in the top 100. That poll also raises the question: How did Jeanne Dielman become a better movie with age? If something is "objectively good" then surely it was that way from the start. Maybe we're supposed to accept the idea that it takes a certain number of people praising something in order to make it objectively good - but then you might as well just make box office returns the only way to judge goodness. In which case Jeanne Dielman is not a good film.

Or maybe you mean something entirely different when you talk about directors being "objectively better". I'm certainly curious about it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Steen71 posted:

*cough*

I'm not contesting it because I prefer Whedon's films, I'm contesting it because I find the idea of "objectively good/bad" art very silly. At most you're describing some critics consensus. And, sure, most critics probably agree that Cameron is a better director than Whedon, but they first and foremost agree that neither is particularly interesting. See: The recent Sight and Sound poll that has zero James Cameron (or Whedon) movies in the top 100. That poll also raises the question: How did Jeanne Dielman become a better movie with age? If something is "objectively good" then surely it was that way from the start. Maybe we're supposed to accept the idea that it takes a certain number of people praising something in order to make it objectively good - but then you might as well just make box office returns the only way to judge goodness. In which case Jeanne Dielman is not a good film.

Or maybe you mean something entirely different when you talk about directors being "objectively better". I'm certainly curious about it.

I just meant no one in the current conversation. My point isn’t too far off from yours.

Killing the discussion of arts nuance and disregarding someone’s critical interpretation because you think it’s objectively great and using box office earnings as your justification is just distasteful at the least.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Looke posted:

Kiri’s voice was really off putting
Everything about Kiri is off putting.

Weird loving decision to have Sigourney Weaver play and voice a 14-year old.