Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Yeah there was a polar vortex that's why everything is below freezing in freedom units

Actually that's C and it's abnormally hot. They're temps that are more normal for spring, at least in Denmark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

a world covered with mummified humans as there will be nothing left to feed on our remains

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ER: the time for action has passed, now is the time for vote

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

yes YES

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yeah im sure that will work

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

a strange fowl posted:

i had that realisation about shampoo. all this time i've been like "it's made from plants probably" but then you look at the ingredients and ? ?? ????

then there's makeup. millions of people every single day doing the microplastics equivalent of ancient romans painting their faces with lead, then washing it all down the sink to the sea

shampoo has never really been made from plants (the ingredients are made processed palm oil tho iirc), that was the whole point when it was invented, because it used synthetic surfactants that never existed before, instead of just soap. just because something is synthetic doesn't mean it's going to kill you, and the ingredients in soap have been in use for a century. the problem we are really having today is that there's a billion new synthetic mixtures of various rather unknown molecules, some of which are definately turning out to be poisonous. some microplastics are fine and don't do anything, others will shrink your balls in a couple of micrograms stuck to whatever inert synthetic plastic they're being used to treat

welcome to the great oily beta

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

also there's formaldehyde in most shampoos and iirc it's the leading cause of leukemia

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what will ER try after this plan fails?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FFT posted:

also there's formaldehyde in most shampoos and iirc it's the leading cause of leukemia

what? no, your shampoo should not contain formaldehyde

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

:vince:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lollontee posted:

Threemaldehyde at most. Four is too many

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
there is definately a majority of plastics that are safe to use, and only a small minority used in specific context, that are actually a danger to human body in daily use. there's just been a gigantic explosion in new mixtures of well-known and safe plastics, combined with novel and previously niche treating agents, that we don't actually know what the major sources of these particular, poisonous synthetics are anymore

and then of course, all that crap gets washed out to the seas, or dispersed through lovely waste burner filters. that's the real problem, not my tiny balls growing incrementally tinier

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CODChimera posted:

what will ER try after this plan fails?

A strongly worded letter

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

:dadjoke:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lollontee posted:

and yet,

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
like, are you talking about an equilibrium reaction that formaldehyde participates in, or...?

e: like, as conjugate to something, i'm sure there's a few micromoles per litre or something in there, but as a conjugate, it's not going anywhere

lollontee has issued a correction as of 12:39 on Jan 2, 2023

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

in a perfect world it would be nomaldehyde

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lollontee posted:

like, are you talking about an equilibrium reaction that formaldehyde participates in, or...?

e: like, as conjugate to something, i'm sure there's a few micromoles per litre or something in there, but as a conjugate, it's not going anywhere
i don't know the specific chemical properties of formaldehyde that make it cause leukemia but i know it's in loving soap that's intended for babies

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FFT posted:

i don't know the specific chemical properties of formaldehyde that make it cause leukemia but i know it's in loving soap that's intended for babies

i see. pray tell, how did you learn of this astonishing truth?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
and as a small chemistry lesson, sometimes molecules that would ordinarily on their own be poisonous can participate in small quantities as conjugates, that means chemically bound, parts of larger molecular complexes, especially the kinds that form from vast arrays of complex hydrocarbons. like, you know, shampoo. those conjugates are necessary for those chemical complexes to exist in stable form at all, so it is simply impossible to break them free from the substance without also breaking the conjugate complex.

e: and breaking the conjugate complex means burning it to loving pieces or something. i hope you dont rub your shapoo with such vigorousness that your hair catches on fire, without filming it for us

lollontee has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Jan 2, 2023

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TqhcZsxrPA

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Stereotype posted:

in a perfect world it would be nomaldehyde
perfectly happy with casualdehyde myself

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
these puns are embarrassing

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lollontee posted:

i see. pray tell, how did you learn of this astonishing truth?
it's not that loving hidden, did you not realize you're in the microplastics thread???

quote:

Studies of workers exposed to high levels of formaldehyde, such as industrial workers and embalmers, have found that formaldehyde causes myeloid leukemia and rare cancers, including cancers of the paranasal sinuses, nasal cavity, and nasopharynx.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

FFT posted:

it's not that loving hidden, did you not realize you're in the microplastics thread???

But where does it say it's in soap or shampoo??

I made it for a few years and the amount of processed palm oil products is absolutely disgusting. Tonnes and tonnes of shipping processed oil products and wasting poor countries to subside the costs. The big hang ups were the preservatives, like parabens, but evidence was mixed. Most companies now go for vitamin E and a wide variety of novel poisons that no-one has had time to work up anger over.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Pidgin Englishman posted:

it's super easy to do a basic search for soaps and shampoos that have or had formaldehyde in them

it's a Thing

and it's weird that this is news in this thread

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pidgin Englishman posted:

I made it for a few years and the amount of processed palm oil products is absolutely disgusting. Tonnes and tonnes of shipping processed oil products and wasting poor countries to subside the costs. The big hang ups were the preservatives, like parabens, but evidence was mixed. Most companies now go for vitamin E and a wide variety of novel poisons that no-one has had time to work up anger over.

turns out the oil palm plant is an incredibly efficient tool for neocolonial exploitation, quite literally stripping entire biospheres and their nutrients up out of the african soil, and out to new empire

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
wait so you mean I’m NOT supposed to be using this formaldehyde as shampoo??

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

look it's a great preservative, obviously

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FFT posted:

it's super easy to do a basic search for soaps and shampoos that have or had formaldehyde in them

it's a Thing

and it's weird that this is news in this thread

maybe the weirdness is in the red eye of your baby, screaming her heart our as you slowly pick up the bottle next to the non-teary shampoo

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i mean idk if your lovely government regulations allows for manufacturers to put lethal amounts of formaldehyde in your baby soap, that sounds more like a capitalism problem, not a problem with shampoo

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

how do u expect people to maintain their luscious locks without dousing their head in coconut scented embalming fluid

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

we used to wash our hair with this back in the 80s

primary ingredient: Coal tar

it fuckin stunk too

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lollontee posted:

i mean idk if your lovely government regulations allows for manufacturers to put lethal amounts of formaldehyde in your baby soap, that sounds more like a capitalism problem, not a problem with shampoo
... yes?

obviously??

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

trying to mitigate weird chemical poo poo getting into your microplastic-lined veins is a fools errand in 2023 just wash ur dang hair

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AceClown posted:

it fuckin stunk too

jesus christ

FFT posted:

... yes?

obviously??

soo sorry for your lack of shampoo then. land of the free *waves his luscious mane*

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AceClown posted:

it fuckin stunk too

they still sell coal tar shampoo to treat psoriasis

like you say "back in the 80s" but that poo poo is still in stores my dude

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can confirm I used vosene well into the 00s before switching to Pantene

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

they still sell coal tar shampoo to treat psoriasis

like you say "back in the 80s" but that poo poo is still in stores my dude

where on earth, and how is this poo poo produced anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Used to be that you would take regular coal tar baths if you had bad psoriasis.