Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
This insurrection's cool, but I wish there was a way to find the Proud Boys in the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

escapegoat posted:

This insurrection's cool, but I wish there was a way to find the Proud Boys in the crowd.

"Hey does anyone here like Girlz 'n' Gamerz?"
(20 people put their hands up.)
"I guess there are 20 Proud Boys in this crowd."

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

For those who haven't clicked on the Tweet, it's a Deposition of a Proud Boy.

He is comparing their group to KFC and then tortures the metaphor further by saying that people come for the 11 spiced White Supremacy but stay for the "Truth Biscuits".

I'd read more of the tweet, but thinking of how those KFC biscuits are basically scones just weirds me out.

That’s straight up deep cult language.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Omg it's even worse than the noodle analogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfMT6-ptP-g&t=59s

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Yeah.
January 6 Hearings: The Biscuits are Truth.

Many thanks to whatever twit that was being deposed, because I had a hearty belly laugh thinking about that just now in the car on a road trip, and now my fiancé thinks I’m stupid.

She’s right.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Waiting on the Biscuits of Truth to meet the Toaster of Reality

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PainterofCrap posted:

Wait.

…do you put biscuits in the toaster?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Browning the outside of a biscuit in a toaster oven rules

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Xand_Man posted:

Browning the outside of a biscuit in a toaster oven rules

O toaster oven rules.

Specifically toaster I don’t follow.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

People lacking meaning, purpose, and place can be radicalized by offering them meaning, purpose, and place.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Lucasar posted:

That makes sense as an idea for success of the overall response of the country of America and it's government to the events of 1/6, but it does not altogether make sense as the standard to which to hold one specific step in the process of trying to achieve that result by one specific body of the US government.

You offer arrests, prosecutions, judicial changes, and cultural changes as avenues to achieve your idea of success. This specific committee cannot arrest anybody. That is not decorum that is civics. This specific committee cannot prosecute in the way that you mean here, again, not decorum but civics. This specific committee (among other factors) can and has led to a very favorable result in the recent mid-term elections, especially when considered relative to history and expectations. That may lead to judicial changes and signals at least an overture to a cultural change (higher voter turnout in midterms and especially higher voter turnout for young people are good things).

I agree with you that the flagrant disregard for civics and fair play by the GOP in the last decade makes it difficult to continue to hope that their opposition playing by the rules may wind up being naive or useless. I think the resistance in this thread is not so much to that idea or that hopelessness, which I think are broadly shared, but rather to the idea that congress not exceeding its jurisdiction in this matter means that nothing has been done.

Although it is sort of fun to imagine Bennie Thomas forming an old school western posse and storming Mar-A-Lago on horseback.
I think everybody here knows that the committee cannot prosecute directly, what the committee can and cannot do was established pretty early on in the thread. When I speak about prosecutions/arrests/etc. I'm talking about what the committee can inspire the DOJ and the Biden Administration to do. Maybe those are still unfair standards, but they are tied to what needs to happen to address the threat and the Biden Administration isn't offering us much of a second course.

I'll try to be less obnoxiously negative though. The committee on it's own merits did fine. They are a functioning bicep on a less-well functioning arm. Sometimes it flexes too, and that's entertaining.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 29, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
After all this time I am still unaware of a single instance of Meadows being reported as having been before either of the DC grand juries. Even in Mike Pence's case we know his counsel and CoS have been called in.

The longer this goes on, absolutely no solid news about Mark Meadows, the more I wonder if he must be cooperating. His exposure is maximal compared to everyone but Trump and Eastman themselves. Why no news? Not even hints from public-facing court filings.

I smell a rat.

I really hope that's a fact.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

After all this time I am still unaware of a single instance of Meadows being reported as having been before either of the DC grand juries. Even in Mike Pence's case we know his counsel and CoS have been called in.

The longer this goes on, absolutely no solid news about Mark Meadows, the more I wonder if he must be cooperating. His exposure is maximal compared to everyone but Trump and Eastman themselves. Why no news? Not even hints from public-facing court filings.

I smell a rat.

I really hope that's a fact.

Do they call in a target for a grand jury deposition or wait until after the indictments and discovery?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Murgos posted:

Do they call in a target for a grand jury deposition or wait until after the indictments and discovery?

That would be a really weird thing to do as part of getting probable cause.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

That would be a really weird thing to do as part of getting probable cause.

I assume asking them, “did you do this?” is a pretty common part of establishing probable cause. Some people cooperate and plead guilty and it probably saves a lot of time.

I know they send a target letter at which point it’s probably on you to make arrangements to either do things the easy way or the hard way.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

PainterofCrap posted:

The toaster sits on the counter of justice in the kitchen of freedom.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Trump’s tax returns have been released by the House ways and means committee.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Discendo Vox posted:

fake news! witch hunt! MAGAGA!

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Discendo Vox posted:

Speaking as someone who works in public practice in tax, these returns are about as mundane as expected. The business returns were not included though (only his holding companies and personal return).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ginni Thomas Jan 6 transcript released today.

https://january6th.house.gov/sites/democrats.january6th.house.gov/files/20220929_Virginia%20L.%20Thomas.pdf

Not hearing anything too crazy other than Clarence should be removed, so maybe nothing too nuts in it.

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNow7/status/1608980232392040448

Oh looks like a bunch more were released also, like Juniors and Kash Patels.

https://january6th.house.gov/news/press-releases/release-select-committee-materials-5
https://january6th.house.gov/news/press-releases/release-select-committee-materials-7

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 31, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Admiral101 posted:

Speaking as someone who works in public practice in tax, these returns are about as mundane as expected. The business returns were not included though (only his holding companies and personal return).

There is a weird one however, where one company made exactly as much as it lost.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
HBO has a new doc up called This Place Rules that takes a look at the build up to 1/6 and the types of people that took part in it. Looks pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_rX9S6sU8

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

HBO has a new doc up called This Place Rules that takes a look at the build up to 1/6 and the types of people that took part in it. Looks pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_rX9S6sU8

gently caress yeah love to see Andrew Callahan

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is a weird one however, where one company made exactly as much as it lost.

It's not that unusual, you usually see it when a certain LLC or other legal entity administers payroll or some other kind of centralized service/function for a large group of other LLC's. The affiliated entities would reimburse this centralized entity for the payroll expenses incurred, and this entity would then immediately pay it out to the employees in question, resulting in a net zero bottom line. It's done to avoid a massive group of LLC's each having to administer their own payroll or other filings.

The DT Endeavor I entity in Trump's return is likely his private jet, not payroll filings though. Possibly represents reimbursements from affiliates for aircraft use on business for those affiliates. This is me just guessing though, hard to discern much off solely a tax return and in previous years this entity was reported differently. Regardless, the 160k in question is peanuts.

If there's an odd part of what the W&M provided, its that the older returns have hand written commentary/revisions on them.

maskenfreiheit2
Dec 26, 2022

Discendo Vox posted:

were they not on distributed denial of secrets :confused:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Admiral101 posted:

It's not that unusual, you usually see it when a certain LLC or other legal entity administers payroll or some other kind of centralized service/function for a large group of other LLC's. The affiliated entities would reimburse this centralized entity for the payroll expenses incurred, and this entity would then immediately pay it out to the employees in question, resulting in a net zero bottom line. It's done to avoid a massive group of LLC's each having to administer their own payroll or other filings.

The DT Endeavor I entity in Trump's return is likely his private jet, not payroll filings though. Possibly represents reimbursements from affiliates for aircraft use on business for those affiliates. This is me just guessing though, hard to discern much off solely a tax return and in previous years this entity was reported differently. Regardless, the 160k in question is peanuts.

If there's an odd part of what the W&M provided, its that the older returns have hand written commentary/revisions on them.

Given that it’s Trump my expectation is that it’s deliberately mundane and if you peel back the surface it’s all very wrong.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lol the text messages between Hutchinson and Tony Ornato are quite damning, I love how these guys think they can just not recall things they wrote down in conversations saved to off-site locations they don't control

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Slight derail, I'm looking for help understanding something.

The question was posed "How long until the new GOP House causes a gov't shutdown?" over in another Trump thread. If I heard the news correctly this will be a non-issue until late next year (September?) because the House GOP (I am guessing this just means, "Mitch McConnell") allowed the votes to pass an omnibus budget bill. I could be wildly wrong or just off on a technicality, but I think this is the good news. If I'm right, I am curious as to why they compromised:

Here goes, all thoughts are welcome while we wait for J6 news:

There must be a reason McConnell didn't stonewall the budget bill. Do we know why? Because all I have is speculation. Most of it is one kind of "gently caress you" statement or another. To the GOP in general for the midterms. To Trump specifically for same, or other slights against him and his wife. Or something about McCarthy's predicament? Or, and I am really reaching here, did the GOP allow certain things just recently, most importantly this omnibus bill, out of some kind of "let's not pick battles right now" instinct? I want to suggest this could be the case, but it requires the possibility the GOP can reflect upon itself in some capacity and behave differently as a result.
I feel I am doing very poorly asking the question so I will add some context. There is a very vocal base that sees any cooperation with Democrats verboten. They are constantly and loudly pissed and belligerent, and I am used to seeing them get their way. I feel something is different and I wish I understood it better.

Could it be J6 related at all, or in any way related to Trump's troubles, the George Santos thing, McCarthy's weak position ahead of the new Congress? A mixture or something I simply haven't picked up on? Seems weird they made whatever compromises they made to pass an omnibus, and I feel there have been other places where I might've expected them to go to the wall being Trumpy but instead, stuff kinda got done or at least didn't implode. I wish I could be more specific but I'm tired.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dr. Faustus posted:

The question was posed "How long until the new GOP House causes a gov't shutdown?" over in another Trump thread. If I heard the news correctly this will be a non-issue until late next year (September?) because the House GOP (I am guessing this just means, "Mitch McConnell") allowed the votes to pass an omnibus budget bill. I could be wildly wrong or just off on a technicality, but I think this is the good news. If I'm right, I am curious as to why they compromised:

Here goes, all thoughts are welcome while we wait for J6 news:

There must be a reason McConnell didn't stonewall the budget bill. Do we know why?

Democrats still hold the House until Tuesday. McConnell could cry all he wants, they can call the end to debate and call a vote and that's it, it's held. Ds didn't need a single R vote to pass it, so Rs didn't try to block it (because they can't, partly, but also because it wouldn't change the outcome).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hasn't it been a losing position time and again to stall on budget and debt ceiling talks? Every poll in the country has made it clear that most Americans are sick of partisanship and the GOP just failed to gain a Senate they were widely expected to win. At least part of the argument could be "Let's not worsen our position to make ourselves seem even more radical."

By not stalling on the budget it does make the first half of next year simpler for the House, but 2023 is going to be rocky no matter what.

Dr. Faustus posted:

House GOP (I am guessing this just means, "Mitch McConnell") allowed the votes to pass an omnibus budget bill. I could be wildly wrong or just off on a technicality, but I think this is the good news. If I'm right, I am curious as to why they compromised:

McConnell is the minority leader in the Senate, Kevin McCarthy is favored to be majority leader of the house, but there's a lot of infighting. The GOP is not what I'd call a unified group right now.

Edit: ^^ Also that ^^

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I believe the next pointlessly self-inflicted moment for sabotage would be servicing the debt ceiling. That said, this may be a better question for USCE.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

There must be a reason McConnell didn't stonewall the budget bill. Do we know why? Because all I have is speculation.

Fuschia tude posted:

Democrats still hold the House until Tuesday. McConnell could cry all he wants, they can call the end to debate and call a vote and that's it, it's held. Ds didn't need a single R vote to pass it, so Rs didn't try to block it (because they can't, partly, but also because it wouldn't change the outcome).

A government shut down will do nothing for McConnell and the GOP. If it did he wouldn't have played ball.

GOP has historically had fewer compunctions about government shut downs than the Dems and when it happens they are the ones getting the blame. The social security checks, tax refunds, medicaid benefits don't get paid out and even 'small government' Republicans will complain about it. GOP has always taken a hit (no matter how small) when the government shuts down. It's going to be a contentious session so clear the decks and one less thing fewer can will bite you.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 2, 2023

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, everyone.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

mdemone posted:

Lol the text messages between Hutchinson and Tony Ornato are quite damning, I love how these guys think they can just not recall things they wrote down in conversations saved to off-site locations they don't control

Is this new? The only references I see to Hutchinson/Ornato texts are from the middle of last year.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Automatic Slim posted:

A government shut down will do nothing for McConnell and the GOP. If it did he wouldn't have played ball.

GOP has historically had fewer compunctions about government shut downs than the Dems and when it happens they are the ones getting the blame. The social security checks, tax refunds, medicaid benefits don't get paid out and even 'small government' Republicans will complain about it. GOP has always taken a hit (no matter how small) when the government shuts down. It's going to be a contentious session so clear the decks and on less thing that will bite you.

Its this, I listened to some radio interview of Chuck Grassley and he responded to being asked "why not wait like some of the house republicans want, and his response was a very direct. We tried waiting our hand, tried shutdowns, those ended badly, they cost us politically, they caused a lot of mess that cost even more money to deal with, they don't work and we are not trying it again.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

Its this, I listened to some radio interview of Chuck Grassley and he responded to being asked "why not wait like some of the house republicans want, and his response was a very direct. We tried waiting our hand, tried shutdowns, those ended badly, they cost us politically, they caused a lot of mess that cost even more money to deal with, they don't work and we are not trying it again.
Awesome context!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

duodenum posted:

Is this new? The only references I see to Hutchinson/Ornato texts are from the middle of last year.

Here are the text messages themselves where Ornato discusses things he can no longer remember discussing.

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1609701611470741510?s=20&t=v7TSWaF4HEBQ011IVUCnZQ

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
More transcripts released today.
https://january6th.house.gov/news/press-releases/release-select-committee-materials-8

Today was their last day together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w92Ctw01wUE

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

AtomikKrab posted:

People think that it’s still 2010 and even a 216-217 house means guaranteed gridlock but the GOP’s shenanigans from that era came from a wave of gerrymandering that ensured the Republicans in congress could virtually do anything (or well, nothing) without losing control for a good decade.

Edit: Also uuuuh Donald J Trump more like CONald Jailbird Trumpdgeon. The files ladies and gents???

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm still kind of waiting to really see it consistently in action before I believe it fully, but most conservatives I encounter are over the obstructive 'burn it all down' poo poo and seem to have taken 'the dems overperformed because they did things that people wanted' as the clear message of the 2022 election. I saw people physically groaning at the house's first announcement that they want to investigate hunter's laptop. Obviously the die-hard trumpists are going to do whatever stupid poo poo that they're going to do, but there's genuinely a significant amount of the republican party at this point who are aware of how ill-advised republican strategy has been for the last 6 years (or in some POVs, as much as 15 years). Basically from that perspective: when Americans want a government that actually does stuff and isn't an embarrassing disaster, it's really bad to be the party known for obstructionism above all else. Doubly so if you're going to then go after women and minorities and queer people.

idk where it ends, but it's interesting to see conservatives actually pushing for some kind of direction that isn't just More Trump. Republicans who had voluntarily side-lined themselves during the Trump era also seem to be poking their heads out again, too.