Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Even in an island off Australia that seems really steap for a starter. Hopefully they good will some further diagnosis for you at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Is my (potentially excessive, I like a clean windscreen) use of the cheap alcohol-based windshield washer the reason my wiper blades dont seem to last all that long?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

Even in an island off Australia that seems really steap for a starter. Hopefully they good will some further diagnosis for you at that price.

Well that's why you pay the big bucks so they can use their fancy snap-on tools to do the wrong thing.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
2002 Civic (again), diagnosing the fuel leak, took off the inspection cover and found all this sooty stuff (might be rust or dirt suspended in gasoline or something) on top of the fuel filter. The filter is very cracked and I am going to replace it, should I/how can I clean up this soot so it doesn't fall into the gas tank?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Shopvac is a good start, plus a lovely paintbrush to loosen any you can't pick up. It's not a bad idea, usually you can just brakleen off the lines where they go into the filter assembly but it's your choice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Please don't use a vacuum cleaner in a gas tank

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If I'm going to dump a quart of ATF in my enigne oil and run it for a few weeks to try and clean things what type/brand should I use?

I'm not particularly familiar with any of them as I haven't done poo poo with automatics since last century.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

spankmeister posted:

If you are bound & determined to try, start filming from a distance before you turn it on and insert the nozzle

DO NOT DO THIS It's frozen-turkey-dropped-into-overheated-oil-levels of Bad Idea.

wesleywillis posted:

If I'm going to dump a quart of ATF in my enigne oil and run it for a few weeks to try and clean things what type/brand should I use?

I'm not particularly familiar with any of them as I haven't done poo poo with automatics since last century.

I have never done this but I wouldn't recommend driving more than an easy mile or two, or just let it sit in the driveway & idle for a half-hour or so before draining.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 31, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Whatever is laying around on a shelf. It literally doesn't matter. All modern ATF is high detergent. So use the cheapest generic (almost definitely dex/merc) poo poo the parts store has got if you don't already have a half used bottle of whatever sitting around in your garage.

You also should NOT be leaving it in for a few weeks. Try 30 minutes of idling and a good flog around the neighborhood, then change your oil.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Got it. Someone up thread said something like "dump in a quart and flog the poo poo out of it for 500 miles or so".

:can:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Got it. Someone up thread said something like "dump in a quart and flog the poo poo out of it for 500 miles or so".

:can:

You could do that too.

You should do none of this though, as both of us up thread also said. But you seem determined to make this bad decision so I'm trying to help you make it as less bad as possible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

spankmeister posted:

The inspection cover is the floor block off plate, not actually opening the tank. Shopvac is perfectly fine till you crack the seal on any fuel line or the tank, then it's verboten unless you want to see flames shooting out of your shopvac.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

The inspection cover is the floor block off plate, not actually opening the tank. Shopvac is perfectly fine till you crack the seal on any fuel line or the tank, then it's verboten unless you want to see flames shooting out of your shopvac.

So... Yes?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Welp someone cut me off on the freeway and a rock shot out from under their wheel chipping my windshield. I seem to recall there is a way to repair these now as long as they aren't spidering? Is that true or snake oil?

2016 prius v two

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Welp someone cut me off on the freeway and a rock shot out from under their wheel chipping my windshield. I seem to recall there is a way to repair these now as long as they aren't spidering? Is that true or snake oil?

2016 prius v two

Call your insurance company. Most of the ones in PA will send someone out for free.

It's a vacuum(?) rig and epoxy. I've had a few done and most are still fine years later. The biggest deal is that it keeps water from getting under the first pane and freezing, which will absolutely ruin your day. When done well you can barely see the repair. I had one right in my line of sight driving for years and I had to look hard while cleaning the windshield to find it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Call your insurance company. Most of the ones in PA will send someone out for free.

It's a vacuum(?) rig and epoxy. I've had a few done and most are still fine years later. The biggest deal is that it keeps water from getting under the first pane and freezing, which will absolutely ruin your day. When done well you can barely see the repair. I had one right in my line of sight driving for years and I had to look hard while cleaning the windshield to find it.

Last time I called glass wasn't a thing here. I will give it another call as it's been like 15 years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Last time I called glass wasn't a thing here. I will give it another call as it's been like 15 years.

Yeah, that's definitely a state/local thing. Our roads are so terrible glass coverage absolutely IS a thing lol.

But even if it's not where you are that should be a pretty cheap first shot at not having to replace the whole windshield. And yeah, it works when it works. When it doesn't it's pretty obvious early on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I use the rainx crack repair kits with good results.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

You could do that too.

You should do none of this though, as both of us up thread also said. But you seem determined to make this bad decision so I'm trying to help you make it as less bad as possible.

Thanks for your advice, and for everyone else's.

I'm just trying to figure out ways to stop or at least minimize the oil consumption in this thing without doing major surgery if I can help it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks for your advice, and for everyone else's.

I'm just trying to figure out ways to stop or at least minimize the oil consumption in this thing without doing major surgery if I can help it.

If dumping ATF into it was any sort of solution there would be an enthusiast forum or series of youtubers giving you excruciating details on how much, how far and exactly what. But there isn't, which means you are not going to find that one weird trick that everyone else hadn't thought of. At least not this one, because it's the FIRST trick everyone thought of and it did nothing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

thank you daddy:)

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

idk where to ask this, but awhile back I read a rumor that Audi was bringing some version of an S4 Avant over to the US for 2024 model year. Is there anything to this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

phosdex posted:

idk where to ask this, but awhile back I read a rumor that Audi was bringing some version of an S4 Avant over to the US for 2024 model year. Is there anything to this?

no

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Does anyone have a list of common issues for a 08-2015 TLC 200?
Traded in our 120 prado for a 200 that wifey always dreamed of and it's been quite, uhh, a ride in terms of poo poo breaking during first 10k kms of use
Starting with both turbo control modules being mounted right above front right wheel with almost no cover...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Erulisse posted:

Traded in our 120 prado for a 200 that wifey always dreamed of and it's been quite, uhh, a ride in terms of poo poo breaking during first 10k kms of use
Starting with both turbo control modules being mounted right above front right wheel with almost no cover...

Yeah, you're gonna wanna specifiy the motor you've got.

Because my list of LC200 issues is short, but is all related to the 5.7 gasser in mine.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Erulisse posted:

The 200s we got in the states are NA gasoline/petrol with no turbo diesels available. I'm assuming yours is the turbo diesel on account of 'turbo' but also we never got the Prado here.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

JoshGuitar posted:

Hypothetically, if one were to drop a small object (a metal/rubber compressed air blowgun tip for example) into one of the water pump ports on a 454 Chevy, and were unable to get it out, how likely would said small object be to cause a catastrophic failure? It would be downstream of the water pump and dense enough to probably just sit at the bottom of the water jacket, so the main issue would be a restriction in flow and possibly a localized hot spot, right? I'm asking for a friend.

In case anybody was curious about how this all ended up...the reason I had the blow gun there in the first place was to try to figure out why coolant wasn't flowing right. My truck was overheating within minutes after I started it. Water pump is in good shape, flushed the radiator with a garden hose and there were no restrictions, hadn't yet replaced the thermostat, but I was running out of possibilities. December was a busy month and I've been frustrated with this truck, so today is the first time I've touched it since November.

It turns out when I first drained the cooling system back in April (I then got hurt and couldn't work on it for several months), I didn't want to lose all my coolant, so I found a plastic lid that fit perfectly inside the lower rad hose and kept it all from draining out. Guess what was still there? :downs:

I should just sell all my tools, I can't be trusted to work on anything :saddowns:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I could use some advise on how to remove this security bolt from my 2018 Prius V's undercarriage:

Backstory: It's a security bolt for a catalytic converter shield. The bolt head got damaged at some point and now my security screw bit won't fit into the screwhead. I've tried using vise grips but the rounded bolt head doesn't allow me to get adequate grip. I also tried using Irwin bolt extractors but the smallest extractor (8mm) in my 5-piece set is too large for the bolt head.

Is it time to zip off the bolt head with a cutting disc and attempting to use a Grabit extractor on the threading? Just exploring all options so I can maybe avoid having to buy a larger, more expensive set of bolt extractor tools. And I know that the moment I drill into the security bolt it's no turning back from there.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 2, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

melon cat posted:

I could use some advise on how to remove this security bolt from my 2018 Prius V's undercarriage:

Backstory: It's a security bolt for a catalytic converter shield. The bolt head got damaged at some point and now my security screw bit won't fit into the screwhead. I've tried using vise grips but the rounded bolt head doesn't allow me to get adequate grip. I also tried using Irwin bolt extractors but the smallest extractor (8mm) is too large for the bolt head.

Is it time to zip off the bolt head with a cutting disc and attempting to use a Grabit extractor on the threading?

The very lowest effort intervention would be using a hacksaw or a dremel tool to make a slot that you could attack with a slotted screwdriver. Failing that, zipping off the head might be your best bet. In either case, soak the threads in penetrating lubricant to get the best chances of unscrewing the screw in as few pieces as possible..

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah don't take the head off, grind a slot in it. Try not to make the slot a V shape and use your biggest screwdriver so you get a good bite. The nice part is if you mess it up, just make another slot at a different angle.

JoshGuitar posted:

a plastic lid that fit perfectly inside the lower rad hose and kept it all from draining out. Guess what was still there? :downs:

I should just sell all my tools, I can't be trusted to work on anything :saddowns:
We've all been there. I had a car that boosted super slow, even with a hybrid turbo that was supposed to spool faster than stock. I strongly suspect there was a rag in the intercooler tank but I sold it out of frustration before I ever got that far into inspecting it.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 2, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

2005 Pontiac Vibe, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE/4 speed auto, 112k mi.

This one has me stumped. When we got the really cold snap (under 10F) the week of Christmas, I thought I popped an exhaust leak as it got noticeably louder coming from somewhere seemingly around the cat or maybe the manifold.

The car sat for around a week, and the next time I drove it, it sounded normal and drove fine.

Drove it again today, and now the issue comes and goes. When it does happen, it very much has that distinctive exhaust leak sound. But I also notice it's slightly down on power, in addition to what seems like vibrations resonating which correspond to engine speed, and a rougher idle (enough so that when in drive the whole car vibrates pretty badly). But the really weird thing is how intermittent it is, I've never had that happen with an exhaust leak before. When it's not doing this, it drives 100% normal and quiet.

My only guess at the moment is possibly some cat material is loose and intermittently causing a partial exhaust blockage. I did a visual inspection and nothing looked out of the ordinary, but have yet to raise the car and throughly check it over.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah don't take the head off, grind a slot in it. Try not to make the slot a V shape and use your biggest screwdriver so you get a good bite. The nice part is if you mess it up, just make another slot at a different angle.

I'd do this, but also use a manual impact driver since it's probably in there pretty good and I bet a regular screwdriver would strip out pretty quick.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

opengl posted:

This one has me stumped. When we got the really cold snap (under 10F) the week of Christmas, I thought I popped an exhaust leak as it got noticeably louder coming from somewhere seemingly around the cat or maybe the manifold.

The car sat for around a week, and the next time I drove it, it sounded normal and drove fine.

Drove it again today, and now the issue comes and goes. When it does happen, it very much has that distinctive exhaust leak sound. But I also notice it's slightly down on power, in addition to what seems like vibrations resonating which correspond to engine speed, and a rougher idle (enough so that when in drive the whole car vibrates pretty badly). But the really weird thing is how intermittent it is, I've never had that happen with an exhaust leak before. When it's not doing this, it drives 100% normal and quiet.

My only guess at the moment is possibly some cat material is loose and intermittently causing a partial exhaust blockage. I did a visual inspection and nothing looked out of the ordinary, but have yet to raise the car and throughly check it over.

Those particular engines had a pretty common air intake manifold gasket issue that caused rough idle and loss of power. Supposedly you have to order a different gasket that they revised, but used a different part number. The good one is orange.

If it starts leaking it will ruin the air/fuel ratio and cause shaking like your describing. My 2004 Toyota matrix shook so bad at idle the radio trim cover almost fell off.

I dont know if this is your issue, but check to see if you have an orange intake gasket (you can see some flanges) or if you see a black one you might as well replace that now (it only takes 20 minutes or so).

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

Those particular engines had a pretty common air intake manifold gasket issue that caused rough idle and loss of power. Supposedly you have to order a different gasket that they revised, but used a different part number. The good one is orange.

If it starts leaking it will ruin the air/fuel ratio and cause shaking like your describing. My 2004 Toyota matrix shook so bad at idle the radio trim cover almost fell off.

I dont know if this is your issue, but check to see if you have an orange intake gasket (you can see some flanges) or if you see a black one you might as well replace that now (it only takes 20 minutes or so).

Oh good call, I actually knew about that issue but didn't think of it for these symptoms. The sound/lack of power reminded me of when a shop left the air filter box open without a filter on my wife's elantra, so excess unmetered air could surely be it. Will check it out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I had to do the gasket on ours 2 years ago; it would periodically idle rough and just sounded... off, down on power, eventually started throwing a lean code and random misfire code.

It's stupid easy to replace on the 05 (DBW vs cable on the older ones) - don't disconnect the coolant lines to the throttle body, but unbolting it from the manifold makes it a bit easier. It took me less than an hour, half of that time spent picking tiny pieces of the original gasket out of the grooves (it came out in about 20 pieces). I may need to do it again though, stupid me went Fel Pro instead of OEM. Starting to idle rough again with an occasional high idle. :sigh:

Also a 2005, had about 90k at the time. Even if that's not the problem, it's a $10 part that's known to fail, and less than an hour of your time. Something worth loading the parts cannon with. Slap a valve cover gasket in too if you haven't replaced it before.

Don't go ham on reinstall, the manifold can crack easily. It's also a mix of nuts and bolts (on both the manifold and throttle body). :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 3, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah reading more it definitely seems like the issue, a lot of people report it first acting up in really cold weather too. Got a new OEM improved gasket on the way. Good call on the valve cover gasket at the same time, I noticed mine is weeping when I was looking around the engine trying to diag this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yup - it started acting up during that cold snap we had a couple of years ago.

Some of that weeping could be the timing cover - this one is leaking, but resealing it is an all day job, so.... no.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 3, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

melon cat posted:

Dremel with a cutting wheel. Cut opposite sides of the bolt head and put a wrench or Vise-Grips on the cut faces.

Other than that or grinding the head completely off as you suggest, I would weld a bar across the head to gain purchase.

opengl posted:

You getting any codes? Sounds like either the exhaust pipe is cracked at a flange, or the O-gasket has blown out where two flanges bolt together (usually at the head pipe). If it's between the two O2 sensors it'll throw a lean or sensor malfunction code

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 3, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
After another long weekend without a car the issue is reportedly a fuse box short frying starter that will cost another 500

Two concerns: How do I know the original starter even needed replaced ever?

And

Can I demand the original starter and a refund for this bait and switch poo poo? We would not have had work done if we'd been provided the correct price

I loving hate this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Harold Fjord posted:

After another long weekend without a car the issue is reportedly a fuse box short frying starter that will cost another 500

Two concerns: How do I know the original starter even needed replaced ever?

And

Can I demand the original starter and a refund for this bait and switch poo poo? We would not have had work done if we'd been provided the correct price

I loving hate this poo poo

At this point any demand is going to be "just give me the car back," I think. Then have it towed somewhere else. AAA will tow for you and is probably a lot cheaper than a tow all by itself.

And yeah, I learned to do mechanical things because of exactly something like this.