Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Counterpoint, lego is expensive so BFC is its rightful home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This thread’s like 80% of the way towards being a screenshot community-LP already

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I have a gripe about these. Everything but the primary build tends to leave a lot more in leftover pieces, and as a result the alternate builds are smaller/less detailed than the primary one. It feels more like "1 + 2ish in 1" than "3 in 1".

Are there any where the nicer model to display is the b or c model in the set?

I don't know of any where the alt-builds use all/almost all the pieces but there are a few where the alt-builds are strong.

The shark is clearly the main model in 31088 but the squid and anglerfish are good too (and there's even a 4th whale model, though that is a bit more simple)

The spaceship in 31107 is great given the part limitations.

Then you've got stuff like the inn for the pirate ship where even though you can see the compromises made it's still impressive.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I thought it was a funny joke and of I could get my hands on the big Y Wing I would temporarily suspend my "cars only" policy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Prophet of Nixon posted:

See if you can find scans of a contemporary catalog and at least learn their MSRP - that's probably what was paid for them.

Edit: ehhh, 1984 US catalogs don't have prices, all you can buy through them is replacement technic parts.

Sears catalogs can be found online but I guess that only works for the US

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Lego $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

e: gently caress, too late

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

moana posted:

Here's our Nightmare Before Christmas scene I made with my daughter:

That's pretty neat

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Well all I have out right now is 11022, and it has NO BROWN, but I tried:

Classic allies bull and monkey-market-account

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dear Lego,

When am I getting the following movie vehicles to put next to my Delorean, ECTO-1, Tumbler, and Optimus Prime:
- Jurassic Park Tour Vehicle (No this one doesn't count)
- V8 Interceptor
- Herbie
- Tardis

I want more movie vehicles that don't suck
(Ps redo The Batman Batmobile)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

tuo posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Lego $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

e: gently caress, too late

you can survive about a month with no food as long as you have water and if you move out into the woods you could build a pretty good shelter.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Do it. Dooooooo iiiiiiiit.

Oh… I don’t know… maybe I’d get the Palace Cinema if I saw it for a good price, i think that’s my favorite retired modular I don’t have

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ended up reordering the connector bit between the rails and the speed controller thingie. The plastic on the cables is totally gone, don't want to risk destroying things by plugging them in.
If the replacement sucks too, it's time to get out the soldering iron I guess.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

xzzy posted:

Sears catalogs can be found online but I guess that only works for the US

The lego homemaker sets where standard mini figures were babies are really facinating, they feel like they come from an alternate universe. I remember reading that the reason many lego food items are so out of scale these days is that they originated in those sets.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Take this thread on a tour of all the subforums imo, only move it to the next when someone makes a build themed for the current subforum.
This would legitimately be a great thing for this thread.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Y-Wing chat question. What’s the big deal about 10134 when 75181 exists and is bigger and better?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Y-Wing chat question. What’s the big deal about 10134 when 75181 exists and is bigger and better?

10134 is actually slightly bigger, though not by much (longer basically). It's purely a collector thing. 75181 is more detailed, arguably closer to the prop in regard to colors, has an actual lower canopy while 10134 is pretty flat there. 75181 is the evolution using more modern parts and techniques, but not as old and "collector's worthy".

75181 also fixes some problems with the thruster guards (or however they are called) beeing too long on 10134 and slightly flexing downwards, at least on mine.

e: it's similar to the UCS Falcon, Star Destroyer or other UCS re-releases. The new one usually is always "better" in regard to details, but the old one was "the first".

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 2, 2023

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Decided to grab the Tie Bomber and the Inquisitor Scythe as my new years gift to myself. I have no room for anything.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Dear Lego,

When am I getting the following movie vehicles to put next to my Delorean, ECTO-1, Tumbler, and Optimus Prime:
- Jurassic Park Tour Vehicle (No this one doesn't count)
- V8 Interceptor
- Herbie
- Tardis

I want more movie vehicles that don't suck
(Ps redo The Batman Batmobile)

Fail for no 1989 Batmobile in your list.

Seriously, that was an amazing build and looks great. But it is huge.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
With Doctor Who heading to Disney+ for worldwide distribution this year, a return to Lego would be a great move. UCS TARDIS when??

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

With Doctor Who heading to Disney+ for worldwide distribution this year, a return to Lego would be a great move. UCS TARDIS when??

But how would you do a UCS TARDIS? Just a blue police box would be pretty boring. Can’t really have it open up to be a play set. Not unless LEGO figures out how to break the current laws of physics.

A wholly interior scene could work out. Especially if they can get some light function going for whatever the central control core is called.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orvin posted:

But how would you do a UCS TARDIS? Just a blue police box would be pretty boring. Can’t really have it open up to be a play set. Not unless LEGO figures out how to break the current laws of physics.

A wholly interior scene could work out. Especially if they can get some light function going for whatever the central control core is called.

Big enough where the explination on the door is entirely brick-built

E: it could open it and sort of unfold like a popup book, giving a "bigger on the inside" feel

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Infinity mirror effect where if you apply a single reflective/transparent sticker crooked it doesn't work.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Well they're both retired so I would be happy with either I guess

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My kid loves stickers, especially ones that say police, fire etc. Does anyone have a guide on how to print homemade ones using a standard laser or inkjet printer?

Best case we could even print stickers that go on tiles that would be like the pizza one, newspaper headlines etc

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mastershakeman posted:

My kid loves stickers, especially ones that say police, fire etc. Does anyone have a guide on how to print homemade ones using a standard laser or inkjet printer?

Best case we could even print stickers that go on tiles that would be like the pizza one, newspaper headlines etc
It's just a paper you buy.
Label paper I think is what you're looking for.
Then just print and then cut out your new stickers

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've used waterslide decal paper before and been happy with the results, but they won't hold up to kids playing with them. I used a free program called inkscape to do the layout and sizing for printing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

shut up blegum posted:

By the way, I feel like the instructions for those older sets are way less detailed than the newer sets. Still fairly obvious what's supposed to go where, but nowadays they really explain everything in great detail.

It's because instructions used to be drawn by hand with stencils. They needed a balance between enough detail to show what's happening and not having to to so many drawings.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/1631477b-271d-4263-ab61-10ddd55baefe
36 PRODUCT IDEAS QUALIFY FOR THE THIRD 2022 LEGO IDEAS REVIEW

There's some fun looking stuff in there, like the Parthenon, wright flyer, suitcase, and the Courtyard but what really got me is these:
James Web Telescope.

Look at how shiny it is! And it's space! I love Space+shiny!

A dog park with a bunch of dogs and they all move!

They're all a good batch, IMO, except the IP sets which don't interest me. The cat too because I'm a dog person.
The clock would have been way up there for me, but you can tell it's going to be all stickers and I hate stickers almost as much as frogs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only one I'm even mildly interested in is the flip clock. But knowing Lego, if it was picked, the final design would only be able to flip between 12:00 and the time the Lego designer was born.

Also, wasn't the wright flyer already a Lego set?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Cojawfee posted:

Also, wasn't the wright flyer already a Lego set?

Yes, 10124 in 2003.

I'm totally disinterested in most of these, though I'd think about getting the Roman temple if it was really made.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Orvin posted:

Fail for no 1989 Batmobile in your list.

Seriously, that was an amazing build and looks great. But it is huge.

It's retired :argh:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Modular Arcade is a little weird, for the set being called an Arcade from the outside it looks like a corner Pizzeria with an arcade on the side.
For me, I’d want a modular arcade to be front-and-center an arcade from the outside.

Plus, a modular would never ever get through the review process, right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Take this thread on a tour of all the subforums imo, only move it to the next when someone makes a build themed for the current subforum.

I support this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Traveling threads is fun, ignore the haters.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'd buy that Jaws set day one. I know they didn't approve another one before though. :pray:

deoju fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 2, 2023

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'd love a Lego James Webb Telescope to add to the NASA collection, but somehow I don't want it to take away an Ideas winning slot with a pretty technical build.

e: which makes me think: what's the current deal with manuals and Ideas submissions? It used to be that the designers basically can no longer sell the manuals for anything they enter into the Ideas contest...but it would be cool if Lego at least allows the ones that don't win to be sold on BrickLink, as it's their own platform now. So BrickLink stores could create bundles for them...like semi-official Bricklink Designer program entries. Lego might get it's share on the manual, and the instructions are available at least

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 2, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Aren't manuals, like all instructions, not something that can't be copyrighted? No one can own the rights to "put this brick there"

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 2, 2023

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oh, I missed the Japanese Courtyard entry...that would totally be a day-one for me

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

Aren't manuals, like all instructions, not something that can be copyrighted? No one can own the rights to "put this brick there"

IIRC you transfer said copyright to Lego once you enter the contest. Something like that.

e:

quote:

(i.) Assignment

In exchange for use of the Platform, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the Platform give rise to any intellectual property right interest, hereunder copyright, patent rights, design rights etc., you hereby assign all rights worldwide to the content generated by you to LEGO, meaning that LEGO and co-marketing partners can use your contributions in any way and for any purpose, including to reproduce, manufacture, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, sell, broadcast, transmit, or communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions.

https://ideas.lego.com/terms

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tuo posted:

IIRC you transfer said copyright to Lego once you enter the contest. Something like that.

I meant can't. Lol. You can't copyright instructions.