Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

friend got this bike for free from an estate sale or garage sale or whatever and I offered to fix it up.

Thoroughly cleaned all surfaces because it was dirty as heck, tires were rotted and I had some spare 27" that I was never going to use sitting around, so replaced those and tubes, added a screw or two for the racks and tightened them up, replaced one of the little rollers on the rear derailleur, replaced the brake pads, replaced a brake lever and the little thumbscrew on one of the levers then adjusted all of the brakes and derailleurs, broke the lovely worn out plastic bracket on the simplex front derailleur while trying to adjust it, so replaced that, thoroughly cleaned and lubed the chain. Total cost of parts ~$20 from the coop without the new tubes and tires.

Eventually, I'll need to replace all the cables and housing, but I'll do that whenever the first one snaps. The chain is not worn out, but a bit rusted, so I'll get to that at some point. A fun little project overall that required a number of trips to the parts bin whenever I discovered a new thing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

CH Science posted:

Have had a set on my mtb for about a year now that have done fine. Not sure what the other poster is talking about with the frozen bottle thing? Do you unscrew the top and chew on the ice? Or are you counting on it melting over the course of the ride? Might have to give that a try on my next century

The trick is to fill one bottle 3/4 full and put in the freezer overnight, then top up with cold water just before you ride so you have water to drink straight away. make sure to put it in the freezer standing upright or you will have to wait until it thaws to drink.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
fill one third of the way and place in freezer horizontally so you can drink more sooner :colbert:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
My in-laws are staying so I've had a little more free time to get out for rides.

Ugh I can never get thumbnails to work

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 30, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

F500 final day

I am very, very glad that's over.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Slavvy posted:

F500 final day

I am very, very glad that's over.

I missed out this year, twisted my knee half way through. I did manage to pass 9000 miles for the year though. So that's something.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That was my 8th Festive 500. The hardest part is always keeping my wife from killing me.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

:woop:

Gave it a quick spin in the garage and seems to fit me perfectly, hopefully the weather is better tomorrow and I can go for an actual ride.

Only a few things I'd like to tweak fit-wise:
- Have a seatpost with setback arriving this week, but might be I don't need to swap it as it felt pretty good like this and I don't even have the saddle all the way back.
- Bars are 42cm with 16 degree flare, might swap them for 40cm + flared, which I also did for my other bike, since that's nicer for my wrists.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Heliosicle posted:

:woop:

Gave it a quick spin in the garage and seems to fit me perfectly, hopefully the weather is better tomorrow and I can go for an actual ride.

Only a few things I'd like to tweak fit-wise:
- Have a seatpost with setback arriving this week, but might be I don't need to swap it as it felt pretty good like this and I don't even have the saddle all the way back.
- Bars are 42cm with 16 degree flare, might swap them for 40cm + flared, which I also did for my other bike, since that's nicer for my wrists.

It is a great bike, you're going to love it. The Graveling SK's never grew on me but waiting to wear them down before I swap them for something else.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hot

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Tentatively like Specialized Tracer Pro tires. Got them in 42. Easy to setup tubeless. They roll well on pavement and hook up on packed snow. Will be a bit before I get them on gravel...

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Heliosicle posted:

Did an hour on it this afternoon, including some offroad sections which were more suited to an MTB than this given how much it's rained recently. Fit is almost there but think I do need the other seatpost. I used the saddle it came with and it didn't agree with me much so will switch that out.

All in all though it's amazing, it eats up all the bumps that my race bike makes uncomfortable and just feels so capable. It feels really nice whilst accelerating on it, maybe even stiffer than my TCR, but holding the speed is harder so will definitely get some road wheels at some point for when it's too muddy for offroad or it's :rice: time

Did notice that I need to intentionally turn a lot more though, I'm used to small quick movements being enough to nip around corners and that's not the case on this.

Riding in road cleats on the muddy bits felt sketchy af though (I'm dumb and tried them anyway). I almost got stuck and was spinning my wheels like mad to get to a grippier section.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Winter in Colorado ain't bad.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Huh. Did you ride out from town? How was it?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:stwoon:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bud Manstrong posted:

Huh. Did you ride out from town? How was it?

Yup. We took 26th out and 32nd back. Was all great once I got out of my neighborhood.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Just got this nice basic tandem

My goal is to create a cargo bike for cheap, and to have a 10 minute, tool less conversion process between cargo and passenger mode
Think a more elegant and considered version of this

My bike is my primary transport method and previous bike, a converted step through beach cruiser,

is showing it's shortcomings , as my most recent haul was 55km

Which isn't a huge deal on a road bike, but on an undergeared upright bike, was quite a mission

So wish me luck and watch this space

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

New bike first ride :sun:

It fucken rules

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I still haven't ridden my new bike.

Have some before and after photos though

out of the box

now

still needs bars/stem. and a different saddle.

If this warm weather keeps up there might be some dryish trails in town in another week or so. Been out road riding a few times lately.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 15, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I bought this Pelso Brevet carbon fiber frame and built it up as a 1x12.

10-52 cluster, 40t cranks.

Broke most of my PR's on this already.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hell yeah weird bike buddy

I would love a recumbent if my local infrastructure supported it

I took the tandem out with a mate and had my/our first duo ride

It's such a different beast, way more communication than expected, but so much potential there

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Weird bikes are the best

Jestery posted:

It's such a different beast, way more communication than expected, but so much potential there
Once you start blowing past SERIOUS CYCLISTS with minimum effort it'll be hard to stop.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

It's interesting, I don't have a dedicated stoker yet, I'm mostly using the fact it's designed to carry weight more than anything I'm just getting tired of my badly geared and wobbly cruiser, it is starting to feel like a wheelbarrow with handlebars , especially up the hills

it seems the way the algebra all works out a well made tandem gravel bike might actually be a nicer ride solo than my cheap and cheerful beach cruiser, and it can carry a passenger

In a year it might have some moustache bars and friction shifters, because brifters are weird and I just don't need the complexity , and I might make a bit of money selling off the bit I don't need

Jestery fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 17, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Jestery posted:

It's interesting, I don't have a dedicated stoker yet, I'm mostly using the fact it's designed to carry weight more than anything I'm just getting tired of my badly geared and wobbly cruiser, it is starting to feel like a wheelbarrow with handlebars , especially up the hills

it seems the way the algebra all works out a well made tandem gravel bike might actually be a nicer ride solo than my cheap and cheerful beach cruiser, and it can carry a passenger

In a year it might have some moustache bars and friction shifters, because brifters are weird and I just don't need the complexity , and I might make a bit of money selling off the bit I don't need

Friction shifters *can* be better on tandems, as long as your stoker will listen and help you adjust.
Because the cable runs are sooo long, indexed shifting can be more of a hassle than normal.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

VideoGameVet posted:

10-52 cluster, 40t cranks.

Broke most of my PR's on this already.

That thing looks fast as hell. Been to that Peet’s before 👀

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That chain line is wild. I don't know how I haven't noticed one like that before.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The front wheel drive ones really break my brain wrt how the chain can stay on while you steer

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

tylertfb posted:

That thing looks fast as hell. Been to that Peet’s before 👀

I'm old as dirt but when I ride this northbound on the Coronado Strand I'm NOT on the bike path and I going around 22mph into that headwind.

Downhill I'm limited in speed my my desire not to DIE, but I have hit 47mph on El Furte in Carlsbad, if you know that.

It climbs better than my Bacchetta, and that's not just because it's 12lbs lighter (though that helps), it's mainly (I think) because it has a hardshell seat as opposed to a fabric back ... and it's a stiff frame.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Slavvy posted:

The front wheel drive ones really break my brain wrt how the chain can stay on while you steer

In 1999 I did a 24.12mph 20km (31:05) SDBC time trial (Fiesta Island) on this craziness:

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm old as dirt but when I ride this northbound on the Coronado Strand I'm NOT on the bike path and I going around 22mph into that headwind.

Downhill I'm limited in speed my my desire not to DIE, but I have hit 47mph on El Furte in Carlsbad, if you know that.

It climbs better than my Bacchetta, and that's not just because it's 12lbs lighter (though that helps), it's mainly (I think) because it has a hardshell seat as opposed to a fabric back ... and it's a stiff frame.

I hope to get blown past by you one day. That said thank you for not using the bikeway on the strand. I’ve witnessed multiple pileups caused by idiots in pelotons going like 25mph on that path.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

I hope to get blown past by you one day. That said thank you for not using the bikeway on the strand. I’ve witnessed multiple pileups caused by idiots in pelotons going like 25mph on that path.

Yeah, if you going back 15mph much less 20 or 25, the path isn't safe at all.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

:swoon:
Bike is completely set up as I want it (for now): got some xtr pedals, switched to tubeless and put a crankset powermeter on there.
Sram don't advertise it but you can totally set up the force/red spider PM with rival cranks. Would've gotten the rival PM but they were only available as a full crankset within the next couple of months, and for that price it wasn't much extra to get the spider.

I was going to do all this in a while but I already scratched my assiomas up quite a bit with all the dirt from using them off-road and didn't want to ruin the resell value.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 20, 2023

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That looks so good.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

dema posted:

That looks so good.
Not an emptyquote.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Goddamn I love this bike, best bike I've ever had easily

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just hit 20k on this bike and realized I've only changed the chain once and the bottom bracket twice. Oops!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

^ Great photos.

I snagged a fancy Emonda SLR for 25% off. Been low-key wanting a modern roadie for a while now and couldn’t resist. Shop was clearing them out. It’s 16lbs with pedals and cages. Not bad for a 56 with disc brakes.

I’m MAMIL AF now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What defines modern road bikes for someone that hasn’t bought one in a decade? Any big changes or innovations?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Electric shifting, 12 speed, hydro disc brakes, cleaner cable routing and probably more aero.

Think better brakes is what I wanted the most. Rim brakes and eight year old carbon clincher wheels... not great. Keeping that bike for crit duty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

dema posted:

Electric shifting, 12 speed, hydro disc brakes, cleaner cable routing and probably more aero.

Thru axle. Newer freehub formats if you wanna run big cassettes and/or attempt road 1x.