Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It seems to be just one part of what is currently a huge influx of Korean money into western big budget gaming.

Yeah, it's this. Callisto (to me at least) seemed like a pretty low key game release right up until and after launch, when I started to notice things like ads for it during NFL games while I was at my parents house over xmas. it has a huge marketing push that is still going on that is probably easy to miss if you don't encounter ads much (which I assume is most goons including myself)

I think it's Kraftons first big western AAA release? They are probably trying to overtake middling reviews via marketing to boost sales. Afaik it's actually selling pretty well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, Krafton has been really happy with the sales numbers, at least according to a buddy who works there (Not on that game though).

They've had a few other Western releases, but yeah this is their first AAA launch abroad afaik.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i didn't know it got nfl ads lol. at least horror has broad appeal, someone can post the WWF Drakengard ads here

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regardless of how good TCP is, if that sells well and so does Dead Space Remake and RE4, we could start seeing 15 hour long horror action games back in the regular AAA rotation and I would be really happy with that over open world game #16577599

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

there's also the Korean dev ShiftUp that got an influx of cash recently and moved from bouncing tiddy anime shooters on mobile to Sony publishing a AAA and somewhat less horny Bayo meets Gears brawler, shiny nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayek3ZzWb1E

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
A new publisher (at least in this market?) flush with cash makes sense!

veni veni veni posted:

Regardless of how good TCP is, if that sells well and so does Dead Space Remake and RE4, we could start seeing 15 hour long horror action games back in the regular AAA rotation and I would be really happy with that over open world game #16577599

If you're hurting for horror slap on a VR set cause thats the biggest genre for some fuckin reason!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

There's a definite data crossover point where for every million you spend on ads you'll probably get close to a million back in sales, and it's proven to be much better to have some losses on huge sales numbers than it is to break even and sell fuckall.
we lose money on every sale, but we'll make it up in volume :shepicide:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

A new publisher (at least in this market?) flush with cash makes sense!

If you're hurting for horror slap on a VR set cause thats the biggest genre for some fuckin reason!

Unfortunately the selection of actual good VR horror games seems very limited. I’m open to any recs though. I probably have played most of the big ones

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

Unfortunately the selection of actual good VR horror games seems very limited. I’m open to any recs though. I probably have played most of the big ones

walking dead saints and sinners 2 recently dropped! I haven't tried it yet but the first one was the first VR game that convinced me it was a legitimate platform.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I’m gonna grab that one but I’m waiting for PSVR 2 for it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

I think I’m gonna grab that one but I’m waiting for PSVR 2 for it.

Oh that's a good idea!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Morpheus posted:

Oh man drifting is where the game gets so awesome. It's weird at first going through the tunnels that you get it in, but man, drifting past an enemy as you turn and riddle it with bullets is so choice and by the end as you're turning around to Tokyo drift around a battleship to take out turrets or fighters made me wish there were bigger battles to do more sick moves in.

I agree RE: CHORVS. The way they introduced drifting in a tight environment really sucked but once you get used to using it and start blasting around in space, boosting into a drift and then turning to face your attackers and blow them away feels cool. Kinda reminds me of how they used Vipers in Battlestar Galactica

Getting more rite powers also helps the game a lot and makes it more entertaining. Neat game but it does take a little while for it to start getting fun

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQJlBoNNeMA

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
open world game #16577599 was the best one yet!!!!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Everyone knows the odd-numbered ones are the good ones

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’ve been hankering so much for more dark souls. Elden Ring on NG+ is fun but weirdly easy and lacking in that need to explore everything. I’m level 180 something and so far every boss I’ve fought has died first try, even with sloppy play. And the end result of finishing any one of the hundreds of previously enchanting dungeons is just a duplicate drop. But I realized last night that holy poo poo I’ve never played Dark Souls 1. I have had the remastered version for a while, never tried it.

I have to say, Dark Souls 1 has some wicked cutscenes so far. Great story. But it feels.. primordial? I hate to use the word “clunky” because it’s not, but I can feel how the design of just about everything makes it feel like the original evolutionary precursor to all their future games. Which, I know, duh, it is. But drat does it feel like it. Combat can get weirdly slow and frustrating. Swing timing feels like the game takes much longer than my brain says it should to complete moves, or actions all get hung up on eachother if multiple enemies are attacking. I can’t hold the run button to ascend up or slide down a ladder faster. Enemies chase for way longer and further than current games and that makes the practice of running past a bunch of them to retry a boss very frustrating. Also hilarious that the rat models are the same ones still used in Elden Ring. Just lmao at that. Hell, many of the basic enemies have the same move set and AI as in demon souls all the way up to Elden Ring as well.

With that said about the combat, yeah it borders on rudimentary clunkiness. But it’s still better and tighter than Mortal Shell or The Surge. From Soft seems to be the only one in the industry that knows how to code this kind of combat.

The way estus flasks and kindling works is totally bizarre too. Am I correct in understanding that I can spend humanity to “upgrade” a bonfire ie kindle it so that when I rest at that specific one it gives me 10 flasks instead of 5? And the upgrade is permanent? That’s truly bizarre instead of the usual slowly upgrading your number of estus charges.

Lastly, the graphics though. Ancient. Sometimes downright ugly. They don’t have the charm Bloodborne’s old graphics do. Although every once in a while I catch myself marveling at the crazy complex environments. And how wildly huge they made this starting castle area.

in demon's souls and dark souls 1 i think there was more emphasis on experiencing the levels/world map as intended without running past enemies to retry the boss the way bloodborne, ds3, and elden ring started to lean.

when i played dark souls 1 for the first time last year, it took some effort to mentally wrap my head around it being an older, "clunkier" game, but once i was fully locked into the right mindset, it was just an amazing experience. it was my #1 game in the 2021 Game of the Year thread submission and i gushed about it pretty heavily in that thread. but long story short it feels to me like a getting a badge of honor and entering the video game hall of fame. half life, portal, super mario world, ocarina of time, shadow of the colossus, etc etc etc, dark souls 1. just cream of the crop stuff when you think about every great game that has contributed to what make video games cool and good. the rest of the souls series plays more fluid and has better graphics and whatever, but dark souls 1 is just special in a different way. embrace it for what it is and enjoy as much of it as you can.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like that demon's souls is very focused on the levels and not the bosses. It also seems happier to force you to fight through the enemies with fewer ways to just sprint by since you tend to end up in poo poo doing that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's almost always at least one big shortcut at the end of a Demon's Souls level that keeps the runback from becoming too long (except 3-2, don't die!!!)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

There's almost always at least one big shortcut at the end of a Demon's Souls level that keeps the runback from becoming too long (except 3-2, don't die!!!)

True, but the levels are fairly long and you might be tempted to run back to your last death spot. It's almost always a poor idea.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

there's also the Korean dev ShiftUp that got an influx of cash recently and moved from bouncing tiddy anime shooters on mobile to Sony publishing a AAA and somewhat less horny Bayo meets Gears brawler, shiny nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayek3ZzWb1E

They're bouncing butt anime shooters

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Say no more

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

They're bouncing butt anime shooters

from what i can tell NIKKE has bouncing butts too but i still don't think the two games are all that comparable

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

How the heck could I sleep on Return to Monkey Island? I tend to play at least the first two on a nearly yearly basis, MI1 actually was one of the very first games I owned on PC. The artstyle reminded me sadly off MI3 which I don't like as much as others do, but seeing it in motion on the big screen, it's just perfect and somehow oozes the athmosphere from the first two.

I definitely will replay it on hard mode, as it seems to be a bit on the easy side at the moment (currently wrapping up the second part of it it seems).

e: also All Butts are Beautiful!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
am i high????????? i saw this on facebook marketplace, he wants 70 quid for it.... it has backpaddles somehow!??????? this is a dualsense right? :eyepop:

"Had this made myself, official controller with a retro paint job and back paddles, perfect working order only selling due to going to Xbox " like what

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are companies who make bespoke customs with paddles, that’s probably one of them.

£70 is pretty cheap, they usually go for like double that. It looks like it’s kind of lovely quality though and/or it’s been treated like poo poo, look at the finish on the paint and the huge scrape marks.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
do the paddles work tho? in ps5 games or is it just for ps4 games cos im assuming its using that ds4 addon or something? im confused.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah the paddles work, they’ve been making them forever.

It’s basically a stock controller with a custom wiring job to add the paddles, same way you got DS4’s or 360 controllers with paddles before Sony and MS released the real ones.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That's an eXtremeRate Rise PS5 kit.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

tuo posted:

That's an eXtremeRate Rise PS5 kit.

That plus the lovely paint is probably why it’s so cheap then.

You can get controllers prebuilt from companies like Scuf and Defy gaming but they start from ~£130

Edit: lol

VVVV - Scuf are THE name in overpriced controllers for people who take their video games too seriously.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 2, 2023

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I don't know anything about Scuf

e: I don't even like controllers tbh

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

tuo posted:

I don't know anything about Scuf

e: I don't even like controllers tbh

I bought a scuf once. Absolutely terrible build quality. Their Reddit is nothing but bitching and moaning about how bad they are.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

am i high????????? i saw this on facebook marketplace, he wants 70 quid for it.... it has backpaddles somehow!??????? this is a dualsense right? :eyepop:

"Had this made myself, official controller with a retro paint job and back paddles, perfect working order only selling due to going to Xbox " like what

lol have fun with that

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Given the reviews, I'm probably going to hold off on Callisto until it inevitably gets added to PS+. Hoping the DS remake fares better, at least - 1 and 2 were some of my favorite games from that generation.

I'm also hoping that the System Shock remake is good, but man, there isn't much good news coming from that studio

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least DS remake only needs to not gently caress up too much of the original to be good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

curried lamb of God posted:

Given the reviews, I'm probably going to hold off on Callisto until it inevitably gets added to PS+. Hoping the DS remake fares better, at least - 1 and 2 were some of my favorite games from that generation.

I'm also hoping that the System Shock remake is good, but man, there isn't much good news coming from that studio
You're making the right move. I spent money on Callisto and definitely felt some buyer's remorse.

Can't wait for the DS remake and really hoping it goes better than Callisto did.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vikar Jerome posted:

But what does it taste like

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sammus posted:

I bought a scuf once. Absolutely terrible build quality.

Sounds bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Square-Enix is doubling-down on the crypto bullshit and saying the kinds of things that gamblers say when they think they can make back all of that money they lost with one last roll

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1609883123562549250?s=20&t=noMeP5W7oSej2N2-R2dH5Q

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

tuo posted:

Sounds bad.

It was the joysticks that ruined it. The Scuf Vantages for PS4 had terrible stick drift within weeks of unboxing them, before stick drift was a problem for the other brands. I don’t know a single person who bought one the first year and didn’t have to send it in for repairs.

Then the replaceable joysticks have lovely as gently caress rubber on them that rapidly turns to goo/cracks/falls off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Only stick drift I had within couple of weeks of use was my OG DualSense. Since it varies so much and seems to be a problem with a lot of manufacturers, I assume it might also be due to bad batches of sticks. Similar to the (really crappy) Joycons. I had some go bad within weeks, while others hold up after years. I really hope the modular approach from the Edge becomes standard in more expensive custom controllers so you don't have to RMA / are hosed after warranty runs out. Then again, depends on how long they hold up. If they go "just buy a new module" on a controller that's still under warranty, it would also be a bad thing.