Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

withak posted:

Do like Muir Woods and require advance parking (and shuttle bus) reservations with a reasonable daily limit. It not like there is a lack of state and regional park alternatives nearby.

i went to muir woods in 2014 with no reservation it was pretty empty cause it was like easter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Everyone in the PNW is like "ooooh I love nature" and this is what they mean

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One day I want to do something like a train/hike trip through the Swiss Alps. The only place I know of in the US where you can really do that is the Durango train in Colorado.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Some of our best national parks really are like amusement park rides that you drive in a circle around. I hiked miles into the Yellowstone backcountry and could still see cars in the distance.

Isle Royale is the best national park, hands down, no arguments accepted.

It has no cars.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

you can’t watch park rangers dump burning trash off the top of el capitan anymore, but at least you can still drive your car right through the middle of yosemite

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

One day I want to do something like a train/hike trip through the Swiss Alps. The only place I know of in the US where you can really do that is the Durango train in Colorado.

I did a 2 weeks bicycle tour around Switzerland in 2021 and it was pretty great. Most roads and towns have decent bicycle lanes (except Zurich, gently caress Zurich) the train network is absolutely top notch, you can get in and out with packed bikes with 0 problem. Campground amenities are so clean you could eat off the floor, and yeah the Swiss alps are amazing. Would recommend looking up Lauterbrunnen if you go. There’s some cool hikes to do in that area.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I did a 2 weeks bicycle tour around Switzerland in 2021 and it was pretty great. Most roads and towns have decent bicycle lanes (except Zurich, gently caress Zurich) the train network is absolutely top notch, you can get in and out with packed bikes with 0 problem. Campground amenities are so clean you could eat off the floor, and yeah the Swiss alps are amazing. Would recommend looking up Lauterbrunnen if you go. There’s some cool hikes to do in that area.

That sounds like a great trip.

I think I'll die if I try it in Switzerland, but yeah a bike tour there is a bucket list thing. I want to retrace Fred Birchmore's path.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/_dmoser/status/1609240409636577285

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Even the brits are owning us now. It's all over

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
National parks just love cars, but as soon as you go on a trail those loving power-drunk volunteer rangers are all up your rear end, and they don't allow dogs. IMO they should all just be converted into (official) wilderness areas, which cost basically nothing to administer and do a better job at what they're supposed to do because they don't allow any kind of wheels.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Dog ownership is the only thing more narcissistic than car ownership

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Groda posted:

More of a cat guy, huh?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

cat botherer posted:

National parks just love cars, but as soon as you go on a trail those loving power-drunk volunteer rangers are all up your rear end, and they don't allow dogs. IMO they should all just be converted into (official) wilderness areas, which cost basically nothing to administer and do a better job at what they're supposed to do because they don't allow any kind of wheels.

Wow so what if my dog has wheels huh??

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

eXXon posted:

Wow so what if my dog has wheels huh??
You're out of luck, PAL!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

post yr route

ch #1

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Groda posted:

Bait posting in the I hate cars thread, shameful

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Groda posted:

I’ll take the lovely bait

we didn’t coevolve with cars as a species

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

cars hate dogs and love to mulch them therefore dogs are good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Groda posted:

full agree. you want to talk about making GBS threads up a city figuratively with cars but theres literal poo poo smears all over what little pedestrian area exists. the cat is a proud mascot of the home. the dog is a designer suitcase paraded around for attention, the owners feigning oblivious all the while to how much piss they are leaving on every block they haunt.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Clark Nova posted:

cars hate dogs and love to mulch them therefore dogs are good

Cars also murder other cars so cars must also be good

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Make an I hate dogs thread

E: I won't post in it tho, love dogs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

cspam cannot handle a thread like this, do not do it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

unless you want to create a honeypot to get a bunch of psychos permad

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Let's spice things up a bit more: pit bulls are good

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

shhhhh you're giving the game away

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think pit bulls are cute, moreover they should not be allowed to drive

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cat botherer posted:

Let's spice things up a bit more: pit bulls are good

my friend's pitbull is extremely friendly

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

actionjackson posted:

my friend's pitbull is extremely friendly

Also a great driver.

*googles pit bull driving car, is not disappointed*

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
dogs receive more training than humans and become better drivers than humans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWAK0J8Uhzk

shelter dogs are good dogs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

lobster shirt posted:

:sickos:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

eXXon posted:

Also a great driver.

*googles pit bull driving car, is not disappointed*

put this into an AI generator and same

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Technically there's no law that says dogs can't drive.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Edit: oops I missed that someone had already posted a thing about dogs actually learning to drive cars

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Would explain tailgating

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

only dogs should drive cars.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

only dogs should drive cars.

I'm fine with this. Can't be worse at it than people

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cars also murder other cars so cars must also be good

cars realize that they are abominations and have an innate desire to correct the mistake

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Clark Nova posted:

cars realize that they are abominations and have an innate desire to correct the mistake

have you met my dear friend Christine? she’s built different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oezKQEF0deY&t=85s

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Jan 2, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Re cars and national parks: I camp at the designated camp grounds around rainier a few times a year most years and the absolute worst poo poo in the world is being all snuggled in your tent and listening to nature / woods/ birds /water flowing and then just a whole loving group of motorcyles will come rippin through at like 1am. Happens every single loving time. I even once tried camping at a dead end near sol duc falls on the olympic peninsula and even then it happened and I was like what the gently caress are you people doing cutting through here at this time of night? what is wrong with you? Why do you hate peoples ears?

I should just do more BLM land / dispersed camping but my husband is a bit of a wuss about camping and wants to have facilities available so I compromise :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The last time someone did this they got permabanned, so yes do it