Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

HopperUK posted:

Every year on my birthday I go with my sister and her little girl to the zoo. A couple of years ago the kiddo was about two and a half and we went on the little steam train thing that goes around the zoo. We adults were all gasping and pointing and showing her elephants and stuff and she was politely interested, and then suddenly she leapt to her feet and pointed and shouted "TRACTOR!!!"

There was a tractor doing something in a field on the other side. We asked her in the car what was her favourite animal at the zoo and she said it was the tractor.

Anyway now she plays Minecraft but just as a way to collect as many cats as possible and walk around with them.

This reminds me of when I saw a coworker giving a tour of some stuff to a bunch of kindergartener's where I worked. I won't get into details, but needless to say the workshop had some really cool stuff that you don't see every day. The kids seemed kind of bored until he used the crane to pick up something to show them better. The kids pointed and stared in amazement and for the next 10 minutes just asked him to make the crane go up and down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thank you to those who recommended Stray, it's turning out to be a pretty interesting and engaging game with a unique premise. Not many other titles with a feline protagonist and set in a post-apocalyptic world.

And yes, I did get the achievement for dying more than nine times. A cheevo's a cheevo

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Lotta great recs for my kids, thanks everyone! Might get bugsnax and slime rancher for myself tbh

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)
I was thinking of getting back into Stellaris. I played about a hundred hours when it came out, the only DLC I have is Leviathans. There's a bundle for literally over a hundred bucks for all the DLC (with the sale) - is there a list somewhere on which DLC are most relevant? It's a bit overwhelming.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sprenk posted:

I was thinking of getting back into Stellaris. I played about a hundred hours when it came out, the only DLC I have is Leviathans. There's a bundle for literally over a hundred bucks for all the DLC (with the sale) - is there a list somewhere on which DLC are most relevant? It's a bit overwhelming.

Covered in the OP of the Stellaris thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850079

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

Oh, thanks. For some reason I didn't find it when I searched for a Stellaris thread.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Resdfru posted:

Lotta great recs for my kids, thanks everyone! Might get bugsnax and slime rancher for myself tbh

Slime rancher is delightful, strong recommend

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Stux posted:

there is no fight in any souls game where you are expected to use summons
Except for the the co-op areas of the Dark Souls 2 DLCs

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

kazil posted:

Honestly, if you strongly disliked the characters and story from one Final Fantasy you'll probably dislike all Final Fantasies

thinking on it I'd probably only recommend 4, 7r/crisis remake, and maybe 9 or 12 depending on the reader's tastes

16 is probably a safe bet too

and maybe tactics if you prefer srpgs, but tactics isn't... it's not really anything like the mainline games

1-3 are just ancient at this point, 5 is a ton of fun from a mechanical standpoint but the rest is whatever, I have a fondness for 6 but I think its settings and ideas don't hold up to its presentation these days, 8 is goofy as gently caress, X is goofy as gently caress, 11 lol, 13 lol, 14 is an mmo (though increasingly its edging towards 'you can play the whole story solo if you want'), 15... I actually like 15 a lot, but I completely get why a ton of people don't

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I know that materialist subtext has become chic in games lately but was not expecting a full uprising of the proletariat and discussion of class consciousness in loving Tinykin of all things

e: an ant named Max is quoting Das Kapital directly. dreamworks foresaw this

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 2, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Supraland Crash is such a bummer. I knew going in it wasn't going to be as good as the base game, but it's worse in an almost scientifically precise way where every aspect is exactly 65% worse across the board.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

John Murdoch posted:

Supraland Crash is such a bummer. I knew going in it wasn't going to be as good as the base game, but it's worse in an almost scientifically precise way where every aspect is exactly 65% worse across the board.

On a positive note, Six Inches Under is just as good and possibly even slightly better than the base game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ymgve posted:

On a positive note, Six Inches Under is just as good and possibly even slightly better than the base game.

hard disagree

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Koburn posted:

Some games from this months Humble Monthly have leaked:

Doom Eternal - https://store.steampowered.com/app/782330/
OlliOlli World Rad Edition - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190170/OlliOlli_World/
Tribes of Midgard - https://store.steampowered.com/app/858820/Tribes_of_Midgard/

Oh nice I almost bought olli olli world

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Boy I sure have been seeing this error for a while now.

Anyone else been having trouble signing in and general friends network connectivity problems consistently for a while?(I swear it's all been acting up for me for almost 3 weeks now)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Resdfru posted:

So anyone got any recommendations for games that 3 to 6 year olds can play? For an idea of what they like: they love Wobbly Life and Grand Theft Auto 5 (with the family friendly mod). So basically open world driving but you can get outta the car and do stuff too.

I think sadly Wobbly life and gta v modded are gonna be it. So I'll take other types of games that are wholesome and kid friendly if anyone has any
Late to the party, but hunt-the-object games are great for kids. Somebody in the Hidden Games thread said his four-year-old loved Under Leaves, and all 3 episodes of FIND ME.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ultrafilter posted:

The Final Fantasy games are pretty much unrelated to each other except for the title. There are some mechanical similarities, but not as much as you might expect from the fact that they all share a series title. The earlier games in the series basically defined JRPGs as a genre*, so they might be worth checking out to see how it evolved. That said, the NES games (1-3) are pretty old school and may not be that appealing if you like more modern games. The SNES sequence (4-6) is the high point of the series IMO, and I would definitely recommend looking at those. The PSX games (7-9) are more of a mixed bag, and they're also a bigger time commitment, so I'm going to recommend those less strongly.

If you're going to play the older games, the Pixel Remasters are the way to go. They're closer to the original releases than the 3D remakes are but they have some quality of life features that have become standard in the last thirty years.

*The early Dragon Quest games were heavily influential in the NES days as well, but the series never really evolved as much as the Final Fantasy games did so it's become something of a throwback since then.

They also love to reuse Proper Nouns even if they mean a completely different thing in each game.
Like there are 14 different Shivas across the 16 numbered Final Fantasy games

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They also love to reuse Proper Nouns even if they mean a completely different thing in each game.
Like there are 14 different Shivas across the 16 numbered Final Fantasy games

But only one Gilgamesh.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deakul posted:

Boy I sure have been seeing this error for a while now.

Anyone else been having trouble signing in and general friends network connectivity problems consistently for a while?(I swear it's all been acting up for me for almost 3 weeks now)

I posted about the same thing a while ago and I think you might have replied then too, this just comes and goes sometimes for me and I have no idea why it happens or why it stops happening when it does. It's particularly frustrating when you want to buy a game and it keeps saying you're logged out but refuses to log you in despite being definitely logged into steam. It definitely hasn't dragged on for 3 consecutive weeks though, it's usually more like a couple days for me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xander77 posted:

If a friend started playing Elden Ring, would Seamless Co-Op be the way to go?

Unless your friend is interested in doing pvp stuff, yeah this is 100% the way to go.
Default ER co-op doesn't work for exploring the open world at all, although it's fine for castles and dungeons and whatnot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a stand alone story. You can import it into a main campaign if you want to keep unlocks but it'll be a bit easy. That being said it actually has more gimmick missions and gimmicky classes even if the difficulty is lower.

To add to this, you can jump in and out of JotL whenever you want. Like do two JotL missions, then one base campaign one, then two more JotL ones, etc. JotL missions don't count for retirement because the intention is that you finish it with the same core group of characters, also ensuring you unlock the four spotlight scenarios for the JotL classes if you play the campaign as those.

Also the JotL campaign has one of the hardest missions ever made for a Gloomhaven product so uh, be warned lol

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

kazil posted:

hard disagree

not as great as the main game but much better as the crash DLC though

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Azran posted:

To add to this, you can jump in and out of JotL whenever you want. Like do two JotL missions, then one base campaign one, then two more JotL ones, etc. JotL missions don't count for retirement because the intention is that you finish it with the same core group of characters, also ensuring you unlock the four spotlight scenarios for the JotL classes if you play the campaign as those.

Also the JotL campaign has one of the hardest missions ever made for a Gloomhaven product so uh, be warned lol

Are progress and item unlocks completely separate or should I make a different campaign run for main and JotL? Sorry I hope that makes sense.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

FFX is the most boring game I have ever played and I have suffered through 30 hours of it become one of my friends kept insisting that "it gets good soon".
That'll teach me to trust people.

FFX "gets better" once you leave the first island where you meet all the main characters I'd say. You get some more control then, there's more characters to interact with, and the story actually gets going. Which means 30 hours in you're well past it. I think the next "it gets better" point would be shortly after the Calm where you get a bunch of revelations. But that's more of a story/stakes ramps up thing, it doesn't change the game fundamentally. After that there's the point where the map opens up and you get your usual airship. None of them are going to change your mind unless your complaints were specifically "the story is a little slow" or "I wish I had more freedom". The point after Calm might be a point where you like it better because it recontextualizes the story and characters, but if you're truly bouncing off probably not.

Jack Trades posted:

Do any of the Final Fantasy games hold up if I strongly disliked FFX's characters and story?

The only other experience with the series that I have is FFXIV 2.x through Heavensward was pretty drat good. ARR and Stormblood were mostly boring though.

FFX is the best entry in the series IMO and it fits into the general style of FF games so... probably not. I'd say if the characters and story were a problem then any of the FFs from 7 onward are going to be a similar problem. You might like some of the earliest FFs because I think they are more story-light? You'd have to ask someone who played them though.

John Murdoch posted:

I got stuck in Supraland and quit it. It was just after the point where you make a health drought by putting a wet sponge and a red seed into an underground device. Past there you can get into an area where there's a barred window and if you do it a certain way the door closes behind you and there appears to be no way forward. Or back.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 2, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Phigs posted:

I got stuck in Supraland and quit it. It was just after the point where you make a health drought by putting a wet sponge and a red seed into an underground device. Past there you can get into an area where there's a barred window and if you do it a certain way the door closes behind you and there appears to be no way forward. Or back.

The way back is completing the zone and getting the device in it. You are stuck on purpose.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You could maybe try FF 12 if you liked 14. It’s got similarly flowery dialogue and is less overtly “anime” overall. The combat feels more like an MMO than the traditional FF combat, much to the ire of some fans. The modern port includes lots of QOL stuff to that end, like a fast forward option.

Avoid anything from the 13 series of games if you’re allergic to anime.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

man nurse posted:

The combat feels more like an MMO

I am very confused because usually when I see people say this they mean WoW or FFXIV which are the only MMOs they've ever played, but FFXII combat is nothing like either of those

It is a pretty huge departure from typical JRPG combat if you use it as intended (setting up gambits and autobattling) though, for sure.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 2, 2023

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I kinda forgot about it for a while, but the remake of Solium Infernum is due out sometime this year! It's a resource building/political game where you and other demons try to claim the throne to Hell after Lucifer goes missing. It's being developed by the same team that did Armello, so they know their way around boards and hexes. The original game seems pretty drat impossible to find, and the creator quit to make board games instead :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FF12 is actually RTWP combat

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I am very confused because usually when I see people say this they mean WoW or FFXIV which are they only MMOs they've ever played, but FFXII combat is nothing like either of those

It is a pretty huge departure from typical JRPG combat if you use it as intended (setting up gambits and autobattling) though, for sure.

I guess I mean like, you mostly just auto attack things and set a bunch of parameters like “heal when I’m this low on health” etc. it mostly plays itself with very little input on your part beyond setting up gambits. It tends to feel very grindy.

I’ll admit though, 14 has way more input on your part with all your skills and poo poo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The 7th Guest posted:

FF12 is actually RTWP combat

Correct, and this is why it sucks.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

kazil posted:

The way back is completing the zone and getting the device in it. You are stuck on purpose.

Ah I looked up a walkthrough and I didn't realize you could jump across that gap.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Calling FF14, the game with cat girls, less anime is hilarious.

It’s the most anime of them all

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Waffle! posted:

I kinda forgot about it for a while, but the remake of Solium Infernum is due out sometime this year! It's a resource building/political game where you and other demons try to claim the throne to Hell after Lucifer goes missing. It's being developed by the same team that did Armello, so they know their way around boards and hexes. The original game seems pretty drat impossible to find, and the creator quit to make board games instead :(

I'd forgotten about that too! Amaaazing

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Calling FF14, the game with cat girls, less anime is hilarious.

It’s the most anime of them all

It, and 12 which is what I was actually referring to in the first place, are much less overtly anime than say X or XIII or VII Remake which is gasping and grunting all day to extremely melodramatic situations. But thanks for the input, worst poster in Games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's anime

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Unlucky7 posted:

Are progress and item unlocks completely separate or should I make a different campaign run for main and JotL? Sorry I hope that makes sense.

It's basically treated as a big sidequest chain, accessible whenever you want, with whatever items and progress you have. It's basically just another node on the world map.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

man nurse posted:

It, and 12 which is what I was actually referring to in the first place, are much less overtly anime than say X or XIII or VII Remake which is gasping and grunting all day to extremely melodramatic situations. But thanks for the input, worst poster in Games.

Oh your one of those grunting weirdos

FF14 is still the most anime of them all ignoring your weird hang ups

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i liked ff7 and 9 way way way more than 10 fwiw. its beginning is so drat slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Unlucky7 posted:

Nah they're shared, it's just that JotL missions rarely reward Prosperity (since that wasn't A Thing in JotL) so you won't be unlocking new items in the shop doing those missions (you will however get the treasure chest items, of course). It's literally just more missions but exclusively set in the city, basically.