Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilcat
May 16, 2009
Why does it have an IEC input on that ground module and why is it RGB, it doesn't even pass through power or anything. Apart from the obvious snake oil, did they really do the "red color makes the transients sharper and blue mellows the midrange" or am I high or misreading
To contribute, I found this review of a record player containing such gems as

quote:

In addition to clarifying music and performance, the new Walker’s increased resolution and dynamic range has a third effect: It clarifies engineering. You may recall from my review of the AAS Gabriel/Da Vinci ’table how impressed I was with its transparency to sources, which I attributed in part to a lower noise floor.

and

quote:

Equipped with a cartridge capable of superior width, height, and depth of stage, the Proscenium has not been equaled by any other ’table/arm I’ve had in house. It simply goes wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling with a really expansive LP. More importantly—most importantly, actually—with a really great LP, the Walker now sounds even more like the absolute than it did in the past, and in my experience it was always the champ in this key regard. Instruments simply sound just a bit more like themselves through the Proscenium Black Diamond Mk II.
Luckily at 57,000USD the air pump is "barely noticeable" and only requires oil every few months!
Do audiophile versions exist who tweak wind up 78 players with acoustic horns and put, I don't know, sound improving anti-resonance lead foil tape inside the horn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lmao of course its Synergistic Research
https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/hd-sx-metaground/

it's $495. to be clear it's $495 for what amounts to an anti-static wristband. the ground block is $8,000.

gotta evangelion myself into my audio system

see you in the drift space cowboys

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

"We realize this may be a stretch for many people to accept..."

Small bit of self-awareness trying to peel through, there.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If you're grounding yourself to the system, your might as well go all in and just feed the amplified electrical signal into your body and/or brain.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BonHair posted:

If you're grounding yourself to the system, your might as well go all in and just feed the amplified electrical signal into your body and/or brain.

Brain? Everyone knows the best neural interface for audio is the nipples.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Brain? Everyone knows the best neural interface for audio is the nipples.

Actually, I don't honestly know much about the power flowing through speaker cables. Theoretically, if I were to hook my amplifier up to my nipples instead of my speakers, where would I be on a scale from not even aroused to electrocuted?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Depends really. How empty are your JO crystals?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

evilcat posted:

Why does it have an IEC input on that ground module and why is it RGB, it doesn't even pass through power or anything.

so you can have $5 worth of circuitry that power the LEDs and connect the ground bar to the IEC ground pin to sell for $8000 duh

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Mister Speaker posted:

having them come up to me an hour in and go "dude... I get it."

Once the pingers had kicked in haha

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lol

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

sound is just a delusion that our brains are trained to believe

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have an audio cable/connection question that is related to minidisc. Shall I post it in this thread that's filled with experts or is there another thread better suited? Sorry for gunking up this wonderful thread but I couldn't find anywhere to post it

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

I have an audio cable/connection question that is related to minidisc. Shall I post it in this thread that's filled with experts or is there another thread better suited? Sorry for gunking up this wonderful thread but I couldn't find anywhere to post it

The audio questions megathread would be a good start

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

strtj posted:

sound is just a delusion that our brains are trained to believe

headline and the cable ad side by side
land of contrasts

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I thought sound was just air wiggles

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How Can Sound Be Real If Our Ears Aren't Real?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Sound is the same vibrations that we are all made of. We are sound and sound is us.
:2bong:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I dreamed I was in a cafe and someone was listening to music in a HE-1, and had even brought the loving amplifier.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

stealie72 posted:

Sound is the same vibrations that we are all made of. We are sound and sound is us.
:2bong:

I hate this Sacred Vibrations scientific mysticism dreck. It sucks when you meet someone with some talent and then they start going on about 432Hz or their pants-on-head-stupid idea of what string theory means, and your eyes roll out of your head.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Some of the 432Hz stuff is interesting from a mathematical view, but that's about it. Otherwise it's just another set of woo to ridicule deserving people over.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A440 being some kind of vast elite conspiracy was one of the tenets of Lyndon Larouche so you know it's good

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have a coworker who played renaissance flute at a high level. From her I have learned that most symphony orchestras actually use 442hz because gently caress you, and every single renaissance musician uses a different frequency because gently caress you. For flutes, you can't just adjust it, you need a different flute.

Anyway, only rock/jazz/pop/etc uses 440 anyway, despite ISO 16

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"historically inspired" ensembles love tinkering with pointless poo poo so it wouldnt surprise me to see a ton of variation in pitch and temperament depending on who's conducting that day

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Adam Neely has a really good video on the 440Hz stuff, illustrating how boring it is to simply tune down. But he takes it a bit further with some different interpretations of temperament and honestly some of the harmonies he plays in these alternative tunings are hauntingly beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKTZ151yLnk

None of it is going to unlock your pineal gland though.

EDIT: It was this one where he goes into alternative temperaments and some of them sound kind of good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUs-84NAAU

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 22, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I love this dude and he really helps music theory become way more understandable to me, a college dropout who didn't master sightreading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZftrA-aCa4

His latest video also expands on just vs equal tune.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Techmoan put up an end of year recap video and he actually got hate mails for that CD shaver video from audiophiles who bought it. Amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0kh9BXzAww&t=2691s

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.musicradar.com/news/voxengo-universe-creator-big-bang

Huh? Is this music?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Oh god, I remember when this story hit earlier this year. What a load of utter shite.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iEk5iu9S_w

Studio monitor blind testing done in Russia has engineers/audiophiles preferring ~$100 speakers over much more expensive Genelecs and Yamahas.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
after getting into a sinkhole of reviews of "audiophile grade" ethernet switches I have a great scam idea. someone needs to bring back network hubs, but for audiophiles. mention that switches use some dirty encapsulation method to alter the signal, while hubs pass along the pure, unaltered signal. make some comparison that switches are like digital, and hubs are analog.

please don't let me know that someone's done this

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

after getting into a sinkhole of reviews of "audiophile grade" ethernet switches I have a great scam idea. someone needs to bring back network hubs, but for audiophiles. mention that switches use some dirty encapsulation method to alter the signal, while hubs pass along the pure, unaltered signal. make some comparison that switches are like digital, and hubs are analog.

please don't let me know that someone's done this

even if they have, the existence of two companies pushing the same “tech” just legitimizes it more in the eyes of believers

it’s not a snake oil company, it’s a snake oil industry

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Trip report: I got an Amazon gift card from my employer and decided to spend it on extremely frivolous poo poo. After the Infernal Affairs Criterion set and a SSD for my PlayStation I has just enough left for a set of SVS SoundPath replacement subwoofer feet. They fit my Rythmik but so far I’m not noticing additional ”punch” or “clarity” like the reviews claim.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I legit can't believe that the expert shared lexicon (ITU-R BS.2399-0) is something people put up with at all. It's such a perfect indicator something's bullshit in marketing or discussion

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ok Comboomer posted:

even if they have, the existence of two companies pushing the same “tech” just legitimizes it more in the eyes of believers

it’s not a snake oil company, it’s a snake oil industry

why wouldn't it be when insane profit margins meets idiots jumping mouth first into the hook

even competent audio manufacturers like Benchmark aren't rocking the audiophile snake oil boat for obvious reasons

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Now is as good a time as any to link the Harman audition tracks:

https://artoflistening.harman.com/professional-reference-songs

They may not be your taste, but they have definitely been proven effective for testing speakers.

The Spotify link is missing 5 tracks. The Tidal link has all of them.

Nice attempt at trying to trick me into listening to Michael Bublé but I won't fall for it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Palladium posted:

even competent audio manufacturers like Benchmark aren't rocking the audiophile snake oil boat for obvious reasons
From their point of view it’s free money. Plus they get to look like heroes because they only charge $22 for their AC cable.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

qirex posted:

From their point of view it’s free money. Plus they get to look like heroes because they only charge $22 for their AC cable.

lol if you think they are "drat these charlatans are ruining the industry" instead of "drat why didn't i become part of them earlier"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Palladium posted:

lol if you think they are "drat these charlatans are ruining the industry" instead of "drat why didn't i become part of them earlier"

what we need is to turn the industry toward full-on 40K-style techpriest superstition

like get people spending four figures to have their equipment blessed and anointed with holy relics

some investment banker dropping $25k in a gray market deal to secure the finger bone of a deceased Stereophile editor for his preamp’s onboard shrine

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 3, 2023

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Any recommended headphones to enjoy lossless music on my iPhone? I currently have a pair of AirPod Max but need to hear Phoebe Bridgers at the highest quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

sailormoon posted:

Any recommended headphones to enjoy lossless music on my iPhone? I currently have a pair of AirPod Max but need to hear Phoebe Bridgers at the highest quality

this is the funny that we sub for