Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

What's Malcolm Nance up to these days
https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1609581872345907200?t=qBAcVaxaZP1eyBjrotw65Q&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj8KjjZVZYw

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Tens of thousands of shells produced every year? So what's that, a couple days worth of shelling in the Ukraine?

They must have 100s of these factories to keep up with the war effort.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

iirc two

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Lol it's hand crafted artisinal shells at a rate of less than one shell per worker per day.

speng31b posted:

trying to find a link to that Atlantic author who said calling Ukrainians "banderas" was the same as the N word

The "N" word is Nazi.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Marenghi posted:

Tens of thousands of shells produced every year? So what's that, a couple days worth of shelling in the Ukraine?

They must have 100s of these factories to keep up with the war effort.

For Russians it could be a day if things are quiet.

Виктор Мураховский posted:

Shell famine

Miscalculations by the General Staff in the ammunition accumulation rate (900 rounds) led in 1914 to an acute shortage of shells for the army in action. Emergency measures were needed to save the army from a complete shell famine. The military industry was not prepared to meet this challenge.

Although the measures taken made it was possible to improve the supply of the front with artillery shells in the first half of 1915, the "shell famine" was only fully eliminated in 1916.

The modern munitions and special chemicals industry.
It is engaged in the development and production of ammunition (AP) and cartridges of all types, gunpowder, rocket fuel, chemical poisons and special agents. As of 2022, the munitions and special chemicals industry comprised 91 enterprises.

The Russian Army in the early 1990s inherited about 15 million tonnes of missiles and ammunition from the Soviet Army, stored in 180 arsenals, bases and warehouses.

As of 1 January 2013, the availability of ammunition in the Russian Armed Forces is 3.7 million tonnes, of which 1.1 million tonnes are unserviceable. In other words, there are 2.6 million tonnes suitable.

In 2020, almost 300,000 rounds of ammunition were repaired at the arsenals using their own resources, and over 20,000 shells for multiple-launch rocket systems were collected.

The real need for ammunition is MILLIONS of pieces per year.
(from t.me/Viktor_Murakhovskiy/398, via tgsa)

Коты и кошка Крамника posted:

To understand the scale - one million tons of ammunition in terms of 152mm rounds (projectile+charge) is approximately 16 million shots. About the same amount of ammunition per 122mm Grad MLRS rocket launcher. Peak consumption during summer battles is up to 60,000 rounds per day. Average, taking into account periods of calm - up to 20 thousand rounds per day.

Is it a lot or not? The consumption during the war, according to western estimates, reaches 7 million rounds of shells over 100mm caliber during the past 10 months. Annual production is unknown, roughly estimated (see here for an example Western estimate) in 2021 it could reach for 152mm shells about 300k a year, and that is a lot - about 10 times the annual production of 155mm shells in the USA before the conflict. But not enough given the consumption. Is a multiple of that possible given the defence industry's shift to a tightened regime? Yes.

And by an order of magnitude or more, in order to ensure the consumption of 300,000 rounds in less than two weeks?

That would require a general mobilization of the economy and more than one year of preparatory work with a fundamental restructuring of the entire political and economic system of the country, the probability of which everyone is free to assess for himself.

In the West, the problem is exactly the same - and to a greater extent, given that no NATO country has deployed full-flow ammunition production today, and such deployment is still only planned and estimated in the United States. However, the potential production volume there could be much higher, given the capabilities of US partners and allies outside NATO. At the same time, its full utilisation is only possible in a direct conflict between Russia and NATO, whereas if limited to Ukrainian territory it would be limited by the capacity of the Ukrainian military machine and Ukrainian infrastructure, with natural demographic and geographic limits.

The political question of ending the war hinges somewhere here - at the intersection point where the reduction of stocks on both sides, the growth of industrial capabilities, the resulting limits to the combat capabilities of both sides (which they will achieve at _different_ times) and the willingness to pay for it - in every sense of the word.
(from t.me/kramnikcat/2986, via tgsa)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I get industry bulletins and I vaguely remember they put out a press release about how the automation saves them labour costs, not anything about producing more shells.

e: Correct, their state of the art Washington facility

BAE Systems Land UK heavy munitions director Lee Smurthwaite said: “This contract is a testament to what collaboration between strong companies can achieve. Manufacturing and assembling products to someone else’s design demands an agile and capable setup, which we’ve demonstrated at our Glascoed and Washington facilities.

“As well as offering excellent value for money, this contract shows the dedication of our people to ensure third-party designs remain interoperable with the British Army’s weapon systems and ultimately, deliver essential capability to soldiers.”

BAE Systems will produce the shell bodies at its UK facility in Washington, England, and assemble the smoke and illuminating artillery rounds into the shells at the Glascoed facility in south Wales.

The existing Assegai Carrier design developed by German tank manufacturer Rheinmetall will be employed for the manufacture of the shell body instead of designing a completely new round. This approach will save time and cost, according to BAE Systems.

Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal officially opened the new BAE Systems munitions plant at Washington, Tyne and Wear, on Monday 2nd July 2012. Princess Anne has links with more than 20 British and Commonwealth military units, many of which use products from the factory.

The new £75m plant on the site of the old Dunlop factory in Washington carries out forging, machining and treatment of large-calibre mortar, artillery and tank ammunition. Similar work has been carried out at nearby Birtley since 1916 when refugee Belgians delivered the first supplies to British troops.

Work started on the new site at the beginning of last year and production has now been almost completely transferred there from Birtley. The move will ensure even better supplies of UK-manufactured ammunition to the front line, while underpinning around 230 jobs at the site.

The move will see a major transformation in terms of efficiency, productivity and cost effectiveness. The change is largely due to an innovative 15-year £2 billion partnering agreement called MASS (Munitions Acquisition - the Supply Solution), signed in August 2008 with the UK Ministry of Defence.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Jan 2, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is it a problem that 230 workers are charged with producing all of the artillery shells needed for a conventional war? Might that be a bottleneck of some sort? Is it possible that privatizing war production led to measures aimed exclusively at profitability?

:thunk:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Is it a problem that 230 workers are charged with producing all of the artillery shells needed for a conventional war? Might that be a bottleneck of some sort? Is it possible that privatizing war production led to measures aimed exclusively at profitability?

Nah. Encourages diplomacy instead :glomp:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Land war in Europe is back baby :dance:

Didn't think this owuld be one of the big achievements in my lifetime, but eh take what you can get I guess.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

who is winning

The Khajiit

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So they're going to white phosphorous Kyiv? :thunk:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1609955805020966912

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wish texas had those psychoneurological dispensaries set up. most people go to oklahoma now

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

maybe neoliberalism completely hollowing out the ability of the state to actually do things comes with drawbacks when the poo poo actually hits the fan :thunk:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i say swears online posted:

i wish texas had those psychoneurological dispensaries set up. most people go to oklahoma now

sounds like something out of cyberpunk 2077

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1609945250453413889

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Orange Devil posted:

Vegetarianism.

Always good to remind people that Hitler liked eating meat, but did so very rarely because it gave him horrifically foul-smelling farts

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

The Russian military’s failures in Russia’s wider war on Ukraine almost are too numerous to list.

Sounds to me like Ukraine's got it, don't worry.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I hate stupid rear end Ukkkraine. *GBSishly* the government not the ppl.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

i thought this was calm.jpg for a sec

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I loving told you guys in Jan/Feb that EW ruins most of this stuff people have been jerking off to in Popular Mechanics. Someone run back the tape.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Russia has no idea how badly they hosed up now that they've pissed off Malcolm loving Nance. Can't wait to see the looks on their faces when he takes the fight to their shores :munch:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Chicom is straight out of a Clancy novel

Clancy also used "John Chinaman"

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Barack Ukraine Obama

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

also "joe [booop]"

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1609704302590787587

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Sounds to me like Ukraine's got it, don't worry.

Just making sure to preface with how terribly russia is doing before handing it to them

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nazi rear end single, perhaps, in the near future, only legal Church in Ukraine which does not, in any way, represent the opinion of Ukraine as a whole.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

lobster shirt posted:

he replaced the communism with пицца хат

dont like that. looks too close to the n word. take this post down please

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Victor Vermis posted:

why this dude look like Urkel when he smell cheese

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

These are really cool and everything but aren't they really easy to target?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
important OSINT from Budapest

https://twitter.com/matthewsitman/status/1610026475062697984?s=46&t=HHKHFjo6ce5EWbhZAsbgUw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Seatbelts posted:

These are really cool and everything but aren't they really easy to target?

Yes, jammers and radars are high priority targets. It’s why Bde Arty staff is paired up with the SIG/EW staff.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Joe Mahometan

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Schwarzenegger's most ill-considered role in the 90s.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

In new hampshire i saw more confederate flags on pickup trucks than usa flags

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
i mean the real answer is Rod Dreher is 1000% full of poo poo. He’s just a weird divorced dad trad-catholic.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

rod dreher is orthodox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
whatever he is, weird

https://twitter.com/roddreher/status/1610045317285650432?s=46&t=mjQow_UR30zx_b9z1PGgRw