Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I remember Eastern Poland being PiS territory. Does the internal division ever cause tensions the way it sometimes did in Ukraine, do you have people from Western Poland grumbling about having to live under a regime that they never voted for? I assume talk of secession is off the table, regardless.

Also, I agree that the ad is brilliant, it's bizarre in a way that sticks with you, I was automatically reminded of it when the discussion turned to Eastern Poland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I remember Eastern Poland being PiS territory. Does the internal division ever cause tensions the way it sometimes did in Ukraine, do you have people from Western Poland grumbling about having to live under a regime that they never voted for? I assume talk of secession is off the table, regardless.
poland is ethnically/linguistically homogenous. if there weren't population transfers after ww2 but the borders still shifted, it'd be more likely

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My five year old got a globe for Christmas (thanks mom!), with a lightbulb in it that must always be turned on.
I haven't really had much time with a globe since I destroyed my own in a fit of childhood idiocy, and let me tell you, that is not how I think of the world. Greenland is so very small (not actually small, but relatively, and Africa and the Arabic peninsula in particular are huge. Asia is also less impressive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I imagine the intervening border and sovereignty issues in Poland between now and World War One take precedence in most people's minds.

Phlegmish posted:

We can all agree that the Mercator projection is flawed, but is there something close to an actual consensus among map people as to which alternative is preferred? I feel like every time this comes up, there are a billion different options, each with its own problems.

e: I guess different map types can work for different purposes

Yeah just use different projections for whatever different purposes you got. Mercator may have some issues with size, and in theory if there's a bunch of equally-valid ways of presenting information, no one should be allowed to be dominant, but Mercator's purpose was for naval navigation, and it worked for that. Accurate naval navigation is why maps with precise shapes of landmasses became popular in the first place, and current maps still struggle with denoting non-liquid terrain features.

And also once you get into alternate map projections, there's a lot of crap that can make you bounce off and into the simple and familiar.

I think there's also good reason to argue for centering the map on the Pacific instead of the Atlantic, since although the Atlantic is smaller, the Pacific is much less empty, and filled with a bunch of little islands that it matters to be able to tell the relative distance between, as well as their relative proximity to the US, which is one of the more dominant powers in the area.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I saw a video of the evolution of Poland's borders, and as far as I could tell there is not one square centimeter of territory that has consistently been Polish (even ignoring the times when the whole country was annexed by one or more neighbors) since it's first founding

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm definitely a Robinson or Winkel tripel man.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Equirectangular easily wins just for being the easiest to work with.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's no legitimate reason why anybody shouldn't do just fine with an old fashioned T and O map. People are too pampered.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I like Mollweide, it round. :shobon:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tenebrais posted:

It's not possible to accurately project a sphere into 2D, so map projections come down to making compromises between preserving the shape of places, preserving their relative size, and making a map that fits on a rectangle.

The specific focus on Mercator always interested me, since it's not something I ever saw growing up until I started seeing arguments on the internet about it. I assume it's a popular one in the US.

Mercator is popular among map nerds. The only universally popular US map is the one that still has Rhodesia and two Germanys at your kids' school.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only universally popular US map is the one that still has Rhodesia and two Germanys at your kids' school.

It provides useful context on keeping up with events in Democratic Kampuchea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's also good reason to argue for centering the map on the Pacific instead of the Atlantic, since although the Atlantic is smaller, the Pacific is much less empty, and filled with a bunch of little islands that it matters to be able to tell the relative distance between, as well as their relative proximity to the US, which is one of the more dominant powers in the area.

The whole area has approximately 0.1% of world population, though.

If splitting the Atlantic makes European relations even one percent less clear, it’s not worth it.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

steinrokkan posted:

There's no legitimate reason why anybody shouldn't do just fine with an old fashioned T and O map. People are too pampered.

finally somebody is talking some sense here

"wahhh we should avoid distortions or eurocentrism"

oh, will that show the garden of eden, or where noah's sons were distributed?

that's what i loving thought

anyway, hairy ball theorem aside, i think people should think of maps as informational structures for particular people, for a particular purpose. asking which one of those is "best" is sort of like saying "what is the best sentence for describing a tree" or something. there's better and worse, but always in the context of a particular audience, goal, etc. a good map to sail the world is different than a good map to drive around your town is different from a good map to answer map based trivia questions is different from a good map to drive home that, if you include portugal's colonial empire, it's actually rather large if you think about it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mercator is popular among map nerds. The only universally popular US map is the one that still has Rhodesia and two Germanys at your kids' school.

What kind of Israel does it have though? Y'all should be able to get the old maps replaced if you can get Israel bucks to make it "accurate".

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

I saw a video of the evolution of Poland's borders, and as far as I could tell there is not one square centimeter of territory that has consistently been Polish (even ignoring the times when the whole country was annexed by one or more neighbors) since it's first founding

Kraków and areas north, north-east should fit the bill.

Also if anyone wants one of those globes I can act as intermediary. Just give me some time so I see how much hassle the process is. I'm just ordering the first one to send to US Goon.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

E.f.b twice, even!

Edit 2: for actual non xkcd content, the partition of Poland also shows up on this map that maps the proportion of pre-1946 dwellings to blue, 1946-1980 buildings to red or and 1980-2011 to green.

If you zoom unreasonably far in, it shows the proportions.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 3, 2023

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

alex314 posted:

Kraków and areas north, north-east should fit the bill.

Also if anyone wants one of those globes I can act as intermediary. Just give me some time so I see how much hassle the process is. I'm just ordering the first one to send to US Goon.

what about during the Swedish invasion and successful siege?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(history)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Krak%C3%B3w

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think it falls into "completely disappeared from maps".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

E.f.b twice, even!

Edit 2: for actual non xkcd content, the partition of Poland also shows up on this map that maps the proportion of pre-1946 dwellings to blue, 1946-1980 buildings to red or and 1980-2011 to green.

If you zoom unreasonably far in, it shows the proportions.

The recent suburbs around the old cities show up pretty well too

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BonHair posted:

What kind of Israel does it have though? Y'all should be able to get the old maps replaced if you can get Israel bucks to make it "accurate".

North to the Litani, south to Sharm el Sheikh, west to Suez, east to the Jordan?

Edit: apparently that never happened; there was a six week gap after Sinai was returned to Egypt late April 1982 and before Israel occupied southern Lebanon in early June 1982.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 3, 2023

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Countries that elected “Adolf Hitler”.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

e:nvm

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

TIL Adolf Hitler Unoona is the name of an anti-apartheid militant. They did it folks they reclaimed the name Adolf Hitler.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Were there any more elections after the annexation of Austria before the end of the war?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Offler posted:

Were there any more elections after the annexation of Austria before the end of the war?

the anschluss had a referendum that passed with saddam hussein numbers but germany had already deployed troops there

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

the anschluss had a referendum that passed with saddam hussein numbers but germany had already deployed troops there
Yep. All elections and referendums carried out while foreign troops are in the country are illegitimate.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yep. All elections and referendums carried out while foreign troops are in the country are illegitimate.

Reichsburger spotted! (Because, you see, American troops have been present during all German elections since WWII)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

Reichsburger spotted! (Because, you see, American troops have been present during all German elections since WWII)

Somehow that took me to a flashback where apparently for some time, the most popular autocomplete question in Google for Angela Merkel was: "Is Angela Merkel Hitler's daughter?" Considering that another one was "Is Silvio Berlusconi gay?" you really can't concluding nothing else than that many people are incredibly dumb.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Offler posted:

kinda sorta

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_German_parliamentary_election_and_referendum

quote:

Parliamentary elections were held in Germany (including recently annexed Austria) on 10 April 1938.[1] They were the final elections to the Reichstag during Nazi rule and took the form of a single-question referendum asking whether voters approved of a single list of Nazi and pro-Nazi guest candidates for the 814-member Reichstag[2] as well as the recent annexation of Austria. Turnout in the election was officially 99.6% with 99.1% voting 'yes' in Germany and Austria.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Disappointing that the various panhandles aren't being used for their stated purpose.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Disappointing that the various panhandles aren't being used for their stated purpose.

Especially Idaho's. The Northern Idaho panhandle is right there and they put it just south of Twin Falls.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think michigan (or rhode island, not pictured) would make the worst omelette

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Good ol' Two-Handle Texas

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I want the to-scale Alaska pan

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alaska Pan
For those times when you need to cook a full meal for 24 people.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why aren't they showing the Maine pan? What do they have to hide?