Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

cr0y posted:

How in the gently caress do you keep that much money in Bitcoin as opposed to you know cash in a bank, even more so a hot wallet as opposed to cold storage
Because you're a moron.

You know, at this point if you're going to go all-in on an electric vehicle that doesn't look like a standard car and is going to likely be a bit of a gamble and also possibly be up your own rear end about then you might as well just say gently caress it and reserve something off the small Delorean production line that's supposedly going to start this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Crazy Ted posted:

reserve something off the small Delorean production line that's supposedly going to start this year.

what, this is happening? I suddenly find myself in the market for a car !

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

cr0y posted:

Some quick Twitter searching tells me this is only one of many accounts that got robbed

How in the gently caress do you keep that much money in Bitcoin as opposed to you know cash in a bank, even more so a hot wallet as opposed to cold storage

Good luck converting even 5% of that into any real currency.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Glimm posted:

what, this is happening? I suddenly find myself in the market for a car !
https://delorean.com/reserve/

Read more about it and supposedly a few thousand units being produced either this year or next year.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

koshmar posted:

Good luck converting even 5% of that into any real currency.

No? The price is derived from ongoing exchange and I'm fairly sure the daily volume of bitcoin trade is greater than 150k dollars.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

VW made a limited run of Harlequin cars that look like that. Some enthusiasts swap panels to make their own unofficial versions.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does that person have to pay taxes, i hope they have a ton of expenses they cant cover now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Yeah of all the stupid things Bitcoin has problems with market capitalization is not one of them, you can convert a couple million dollars worth of bitcoin into cash pretty easily and no one will give a poo poo as long as you pay your taxes.

E: ^ at this point Bitcoin is essentially like stock so you can write this all down as capital loss.

Unless you did something very stupid like cash out several million dollars worth of it and then had some other amount of Bitcoin stashed away earmarked for taxes and those got stolen. I don't know I could see a situation where the IRS would want to gently caress you here depending on how you moved money around.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Crazy Ted posted:

Read more about it and supposedly a few thousand units being produced either this year or next year.

That sign up system is so transparently a side-grift, assuming a car ever gets built at all. I’m sure the company will skim a hefty chunk off of any sale or transfer of a production slot after selling them for 2500 bucks in the first place.

Lol

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Crazy Ted posted:

Getting Star Citizen vibes here.

They look awesome, but up front join fee, production slot fee...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Edmund Sparkler posted:

VW made a limited run of Harlequin cars that look like that. Some enthusiasts swap panels to make their own unofficial versions.

Yeah a lot of cars in my town do the same thing. But its less style and more the intersection of deer, icy roads and socioeconomic forces.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

madmatt112 posted:

That sign up system is so transparently a side-grift, assuming a car ever gets built at all. I’m sure the company will skim a hefty chunk off of any sale or transfer of a production slot after selling them for 2500 bucks in the first place.
Well...yes.

And you and I know there are people who will jump all over it. The most recent article I read about a small production line starting this year - using Google - was from late October of '22 so it does seem like a thing that actually it happening. It also seems like there are fairly recent government programs meant to promote "small-volume" auto companies that are meant to help things like that happen. I don't know a ton about the ins and outs of auto manufacturing so that's just what I got out of a quick read.

And back to the first point, look at how loving enthusiastic people get about Subarus (I own one) so it wouldn't surprise me at all if some dudes go nuts over people trying to resurrect the Delorean name.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

That poor plane got cancer :(

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Fuckwit adjacent:

Really enjoying the whiplash from "The great thing about bitcoin is that government agencies can't regulate, track, or seize it" to "My bitcoins have gone missing, where TF is the FBI?!" LOL

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Keeping all of your money in Bitcoin is like putting your life savings in a safe and then having a public record of exactly where the safe is and then just hoping that nobody with the ability to crack safes picks yours.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Wonder if we're seeing a Russian dash-cam situtation with Tesla. iirc it's incredibly easy to find videos of Russian car accidents, which makes it seem like they're particularly bad drivers... when in truth they just have dash cams on way more cars than the US so there's more documentation of said accidents.

Seen enough people sharing lining and parts of Tesla's falling off that it sure does seem like the cars are shoddy builds. And the ai seems inadequeate as hell. But kinda feel the documentation thing is accounting for (a small small sliver) of it too.

lmao Tesla's build quality is a notorious industry leader

the dogshit industry

Megaraptor
Dec 10, 2004

Life, uh...finds a way

Infinitum posted:

"What are 3 overhyped pieces of poo poo?"

Lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
all these tesla purchasers asking "is it normal" when parts of the carputer break, fall off and/or spontaneously combust :stare:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Have a look at the specs on the Delorean page. Every single one from speed to range to battery life has an asterisk next to it as "estimated". There is no way in hell production kicks off this year if they don't even know what components their gonna use.

At best it's Elon style "we'll be on Mars in a decade" poo poo if not an outright scam.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

just buy a real DeLorean and do an LS swap, it's an actual, real thing that you can do which actually exists in real life that will probably steal as much money from you as whatever this new DeLorean horseshit is

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrQwerty posted:

just buy a real DeLorean and do an LS swap, it's an actual, real thing that you can do which actually exists in real life that will probably steal as much money from you as whatever this new DeLorean horseshit is

There's a company out of Texas that even sells them.

https://store.delorean.com/about-us

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Just realized that's the District 9/Chappie guy! Looks like he's in Vancouver as well, think that is Granville Island market. Only weirdos drive there btw. Something probably fell off the bridge above and smashed his window

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

priznat posted:

Just realized that's the District 9/Chappie guy! Looks like he's in Vancouver as well, think that is Granville Island market. Only weirdos drive there btw. Something probably fell off the bridge above and smashed his window

lol no Tesla sells cars with windows that explode randomly in the cold, this is a well-documented build quality issue

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Twitter Files will continue until morale revenue improves.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1610002386608594950?s=46&t=uAG80YZkAyg_AqtikoJe7g
It’s because it’s raining in Europe, this is normal

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It never rains in southern Catalonia

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SUPER FUN HAPPY SLIDE

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

That's just the Fed.

In Europe.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Didn't this happen a couple of days ago and the premarket slide was wiped out almost immediately upon market open? I wouldn't get too excited

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Elon will say this is the Fed's fault.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

feelix posted:

Didn't this happen a couple of days ago and the premarket slide was wiped out almost immediately upon market open? I wouldn't get too excited

Nah I think the highest after market drop was only like 2%.

Plus that’s not euro market that’s after hours trading

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

It's because nobody made any money last year so everyone is taking all their money out of the stock market and putting it into savings accounts. That's it. Deflationary period. The fed. It can't be our genius boy's fault, he's perfect and funny and everyone likes him.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Scientastic posted:

Ha! these cars are mere amateurs of ugliness, quailing in comparison to the true king, the Fiat Multipla:

Bibendum shifts in his chair as his pneumatic dingus begins to inflate.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the buttcoin thread gave its own answer ( that even computer algos go crazy if they dont have a break) but I still dont get why we dont have continuous trading.

high freq. trading algos do things in microseconds, firms try to get data centers closest to data centers so their speed of light packets have shorter fiber distance, Musk sleeps one second a day.

the HFT algos should either have all the microseconds or no microseconds.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/MovieEv/status/1610004941497671681?s=20

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

the buttcoin thread gave its own answer ( that even computer algos go crazy if they dont have a break) but I still dont get why we dont have continuous trading.

high freq. trading algos do things in microseconds, firms try to get data centers closest to data centers so their speed of light packets have shorter fiber distance, Musk sleeps one second a day.

the HFT algos should either have all the microseconds or no microseconds.

iirc it’s intentional in order to keep things from going too buck wild without giving humans an opportunity to step in

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kingo Ligma posted:

Have a look at the specs on the Delorean page. Every single one from speed to range to battery life has an asterisk next to it as "estimated". There is no way in hell production kicks off this year if they don't even know what components their gonna use.

At best it's Elon style "we'll be on Mars in a decade" poo poo if not an outright scam.

I went there to see what kind of engine and transmission and such the car has, and apparently none of that information is on their website. It is powered by thoughts and prayers, apparently.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/elon-musks-tesla-comes-up-short-of-2022-delivery-target-as-growth-slows-11672680081

this is why the stock went down today

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It is powered by thoughts and prayers, apparently.
They're just taking inspiration from Tesla's FSD program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

When you have to turn all of your attention to shitposting some things are just going to naturally be neglected.