Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I just brewed this Lurrus pile. No, I don't know why I decided to make her the Companion and not the commander, but here we are. Gameplan is to aggro for a bit then initiate aristocrats plan. I feel like I need more legends to make the goodest dog work, but then I have to start cutting 'crats stuff. I also probably want some additional ways to reload hand than just Ad Naus.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/JohS-WwUm0-stNcDh8UbsA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Not being able to play Necropotence is rough. Some of the newer white creatures that let you draw when stuff happens are probably your only good option, and it looks like you have a couple of those already.

E: Mask of Memory might help a bit?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 25, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Would you really want Necro in a deck where you're intending to have full use of the graveyard?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If Lurrus was the commander instead, you could make use of Oriq Loremage

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Framboise posted:

Would you really want Necro in a deck where you're intending to have full use of the graveyard?

Oh yeah that drawback kinda makes it awful in a Lurrus deck anyways, huh?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/V5oPAQ5HMcQ

This was a pretty fun cEDH game with 4C Omnath in it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I just brewed this Lurrus pile. No, I don't know why I decided to make her the Companion and not the commander, but here we are. Gameplan is to aggro for a bit then initiate aristocrats plan. I feel like I need more legends to make the goodest dog work, but then I have to start cutting 'crats stuff. I also probably want some additional ways to reload hand than just Ad Naus.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/JohS-WwUm0-stNcDh8UbsA

Made a bunch of changes to the list. Notably Elas il-Kor is commander now.
I like the exercise of trying to slot in the best permanents possible given the constraint that they must cost less than 2 and then slotting in spells around that.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Made a bunch of changes to the list. Notably Elas il-Kor is commander now.
I like the exercise of trying to slot in the best permanents possible given the constraint that they must cost less than 2 and then slotting in spells around that.

Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim might also be good in either the 99 or as the commander.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Looks like there are like a dozen of the necron dynasties decks fulfilled by Amazon for 93. Is it worth pulling the trigger at this price?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

meanolmrcloud posted:

Looks like there are like a dozen of the necron dynasties decks fulfilled by Amazon for 93. Is it worth pulling the trigger at this price?

No, not even close. You can even get them cheaper on TCGplayer as it is ($83), and even then I'd not pay too far over retail on those.

Like, get it if you REALLY want it I guess, but.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Also check Target too if you can. There was a big restock before Christmas. Was able to finally find an Imperium deck there last week.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I just picked up three of the four at a Walmart today.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

meanolmrcloud posted:

You can get it off MPC for about $30 USD.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I made some custom magic cards, as is all the rage these days.

Also in the year since my girls got me playing I somehow now have 16 decks. This is ridiculous. None of them are "good" (not even a 7 but they're 10s in my eyes baybee) but they're all fun, and are basically at the power level we all play at on a casual table level.

Neera Dragon Tribal (I call it "Don't Go Neera!") is probably my favourite, and apparently I did the combo of Neera and Displacer Kitten without even realising. The deck even has a wincon! With Astral Dragon, Displacer Kitten, Reflections of Littjara and Neera it gets wacky, especially with Crucible of Fire and other craziness involved. I put in Possibility Storm and played it for a single game and that... was not fun at all. loving with my own poo poo with random chance is fine, doesn't feel great doing it to others and it slows the game horribly.

That's probably the biggest thing I have discovered with the game. I like to go fast. In my own turn if I have to combo something that takes like four steps that's too much. I much prefer very simple mechanics and combos that I can just do quickly, have an effect and move on.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

syntaxfunction posted:

I made some custom magic cards, as is all the rage these days.

Also in the year since my girls got me playing I somehow now have 16 decks. This is ridiculous. None of them are "good" (not even a 7 but they're 10s in my eyes baybee) but they're all fun, and are basically at the power level we all play at on a casual table level.

Neera Dragon Tribal (I call it "Don't Go Neera!") is probably my favourite, and apparently I did the combo of Neera and Displacer Kitten without even realising. The deck even has a wincon! With Astral Dragon, Displacer Kitten, Reflections of Littjara and Neera it gets wacky, especially with Crucible of Fire and other craziness involved. I put in Possibility Storm and played it for a single game and that... was not fun at all. loving with my own poo poo with random chance is fine, doesn't feel great doing it to others and it slows the game horribly.

That's probably the biggest thing I have discovered with the game. I like to go fast. In my own turn if I have to combo something that takes like four steps that's too much. I much prefer very simple mechanics and combos that I can just do quickly, have an effect and move on.

I don't think gently caress you nerd actually does anything. Since it's not an ETB trigger or anything, but it's an artifact. But maybe that was the point?

I do like the idea of Temur Cookie Monster.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think gently caress you nerd actually does anything. Since it's not an ETB trigger or anything, but it's an artifact. But maybe that was the point?

I do like the idea of Temur Cookie Monster.

Haha yeah, it was originally a sorcery but that would, you know, make sense and mean you know how the rules work, so it got changed to an artifact because that's funnier. Also an entire field of artifacts that do nothing called "gently caress You Nerd" is funny to me, because I am extremely mature.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want to make a Sun Quan deck. Well, I want to make a Horsemanship tribal deck but those cards are mostly very expensive and mostly not that good, very overcosted. Sun Quan can tick my monocolor for blue, infect I haven't played with or against yet, and seems like a fun thing to do with the idea of unblockable creatures themed deck. Putting together potential decks though... started wondering if I should just wait? All Will Be One has the Toxic mechanic, but can't quite tell if it's better or worse than Infect creatures assuming they have Horsemanship. Sun Quan is pretty mana expensive though so who knows how reliably he will be around.

Is there anything else cool with the idea of monoblue creature based commander, I mostly saw lots of hit opponent -- > draw/return to hand and a little bit of ninjutsu and I'd rather do ninjutsu with more colours. I did see a few steal-stuff cards and I love steal/copy stuff. Infect has me most psyched though so reckon just hold my horses until ONE is spoiled

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I want to make a Sun Quan deck. Well, I want to make a Horsemanship tribal deck but those cards are mostly very expensive and mostly not that good, very overcosted. Sun Quan can tick my monocolor for blue, infect I haven't played with or against yet, and seems like a fun thing to do with the idea of unblockable creatures themed deck. Putting together potential decks though... started wondering if I should just wait? All Will Be One has the Toxic mechanic, but can't quite tell if it's better or worse than Infect creatures assuming they have Horsemanship. Sun Quan is pretty mana expensive though so who knows how reliably he will be around.

Is there anything else cool with the idea of monoblue creature based commander, I mostly saw lots of hit opponent -- > draw/return to hand and a little bit of ninjutsu and I'd rather do ninjutsu with more colours. I did see a few steal-stuff cards and I love steal/copy stuff. Infect has me most psyched though so reckon just hold my horses until ONE is spoiled

Mono Blue:

Orvar for Copy, Empress Galina for steal, Azami for card draw.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

My first commander deck was Prosper, as I've gotten to mid power with him I've found that it's really boring to win with. So now I'm going to play Tor Wauki as the commander and Prosper in the 99 so it'll be more fun but still just as dastardly. Turns the tire spinning phase of prosper into pings so folks actually care.

Besides that I'm looking to build a dungeon deck but not in esper, maybe tymna jeska? I've seen some examples with isshin that might have some promise.

Saw a cedh version of Jan Jansen tonight which kinda took the fire out for trying to brew with him because he's so geared towards infinites that I think he'd be as boring as prosper at mid power.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I built a Kiki-Jiki deck.

I fear I might have gone slightly mad with power. :ohdear:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Pulled a Queen Kayla in one of the packs of BRO I got for Christmas, and I remembered that people were saying she could be an interesting stax commander, so I build a deck around her trying to play the fairest of magic. I'd already gotten the ire of one of the LGS guys because I'd played Magus of the Moon against his super greedy 5-color manabase, and he kept being a whiny pissbaby the whole rest of the game, so I think I'm at least headed in the right direction. I did notice there aren't a ton of fliers in here, nor is there really a whole lot of ways to deal with planeswalkers, but I haven't really found a solution that would work with the deck that I really like.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Aniodia posted:

Pulled a Queen Kayla in one of the packs of BRO I got for Christmas, and I remembered that people were saying she could be an interesting stax commander, so I build a deck around her trying to play the fairest of magic. I'd already gotten the ire of one of the LGS guys because I'd played Magus of the Moon against his super greedy 5-color manabase, and he kept being a whiny pissbaby the whole rest of the game, so I think I'm at least headed in the right direction. I did notice there aren't a ton of fliers in here, nor is there really a whole lot of ways to deal with planeswalkers, but I haven't really found a solution that would work with the deck that I really like.

You should put Ajani Vengeant in there.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Get Zealous Conscripts in there if you want to be mad with power.

Also, cut Temple of the False God for a Mountain, and probably also Darksteel Citadel unless I'm missing an interaction where Citadel is relevant.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

W.T. Fits posted:

How good do you want it to be? If you run combat celebrant, port razer, and scourge of the throne you can generate infinite attack steps.

If you wanted to use big dumb stuff and make copies, you could cheat out things like Phyrexian Triniform with Sneak Attack, Purphoros, and Arm's Race, hasted huge huge artifact creatures, copy them, slam them into your opponents, and then get death benefits.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aniodia posted:

, nor is there really a whole lot of ways to deal with planeswalkers, but I haven't really found a solution that would work with the deck that I really like.

Flame Blitz, Angelic Ascension, Fateful Absence, Storm's Wrath, Burn Down the House and any number of o-ring effects

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Flame Blitz, Angelic Ascension, Fateful Absence, Storm's Wrath, Burn Down the House and any number of o-ring effects

Also Hour of Devastation

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Aniodia posted:

For planeswalker help that is an artifact or creature cmc 1-3 I think you're options are individual planeswalker hate, evasion, or taxing. Couple I can think of are:

sword of sinew and steel, straight up destroys planeswalkers
flamescroll celebrant, pings when folks use planeswalkers and is a silence on the back
sparkhunter masticore, planeswalker pinger
phyrexian revoker, pithing needle, and sorcerous spyglass all turn off 1 pw
anointed peacekeeper, taxes and individual planeswalker
immovable rod, turns off 1 planeswalker at a time but can swap each turn

besides that any equipment that gives evasion is good.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Aniodia posted:

…nor is there really a whole lot of ways to deal with planeswalkers, but I haven't really found a solution that would work with the deck that I really like.

Comet, Stellar Pup. Send all squirrels and fetched burn spells at the enemy plainswalkers.

Be sure to get the showcase art and talk to him like a real dog if the salty guy is the type who is very against Unfinity cards being eternal legal.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

disaster pastor posted:

Get Zealous Conscripts in there if you want to be mad with power.

Also, cut Temple of the False God for a Mountain, and probably also Darksteel Citadel unless I'm missing an interaction where Citadel is relevant.

I'll have to look into acquiring one of those, stealing and sacrificing all my opponents' creatures sounds like a fun time.

Only real interactions for Darksteel Citadel at the moment are to trigger Ingenious Artillerist's ETB effect (and Reckless Fireweaver once I acquire one of those), and also as sacrifice fodder for Goblin Welder if I need it.

pseudanonymous posted:

How good do you want it to be? If you run combat celebrant, port razer, and scourge of the throne you can generate infinite attack steps.

If you wanted to use big dumb stuff and make copies, you could cheat out things like Phyrexian Triniform with Sneak Attack, Purphoros, and Arm's Race, hasted huge huge artifact creatures, copy them, slam them into your opponents, and then get death benefits.

Mainly, I'm just looking to kill the entire table at once by going infinite with Kiki-Jiki, a Thornbite Staff, a sacrifice outlet (Goblin Bombardment, Ashnod's Altar), creatures that generate additional tokens when they ETB (Siege-Gang Commander, Mogg War Marshal, Dockside Extortionist, Hoarding Ogre), and something that deals damage to all my opponents when those tokens ETB (Impact Tremors, Witty Roastmaster, Ingenious Artillerist, Reckless Fireweaver).

Also have stuff that lets me just take the initiative or become the monarch on ETB so that I don't even have to attack my opponents if they take them from me, I just tap Kiki-Jiki on their turn on their second main phase to steal them back. (On that note, I also need to acquire a Crimson Fleet Commodore...)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I'll have to look into acquiring one of those, stealing and sacrificing all my opponents' creatures sounds like a fun time.

Only real interactions for Darksteel Citadel at the moment are to trigger Ingenious Artillerist's ETB effect (and Reckless Fireweaver once I acquire one of those), and also as sacrifice fodder for Goblin Welder if I need it.

Mainly, I'm just looking to kill the entire table at once by going infinite with Kiki-Jiki, a Thornbite Staff, a sacrifice outlet (Goblin Bombardment, Ashnod's Altar), creatures that generate additional tokens when they ETB (Siege-Gang Commander, Mogg War Marshal, Dockside Extortionist, Hoarding Ogre), and something that deals damage to all my opponents when those tokens ETB (Impact Tremors, Witty Roastmaster, Ingenious Artillerist, Reckless Fireweaver).

Also have stuff that lets me just take the initiative or become the monarch on ETB so that I don't even have to attack my opponents if they take them from me, I just tap Kiki-Jiki on their turn on their second main phase to steal them back. (On that note, I also need to acquire a Crimson Fleet Commodore...)

Kiki-Jiki goes infinite with Zealous Conscript. You copy the Conscript and target Kiki-Jiki with the etb ability, untap Kiki-Jiki, and repeat until you have enough attackers to kill the table. Also works with Splinter Twin.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Definitely appreciate the ideas. Not sure if I want to run planeswalkers of my own, especially if I'm gonna be trying out Flame Blitz on top of everything, but there's definitely a couple of neat ideas and cards I didn't know about (like Sparkhunter Masticore and Immovable Rod).

generatrix posted:

Be sure to get the showcase art and talk to him like a real dog if the salty guy is the type who is very against Unfinity cards being eternal legal.
Dude doesn't seem like that, and the LGS is usually pretty chill about that. I definitely want to start stressing that I'm playing fair magic though, and besides, it's not like I'm really running any hard stax, like Winter Orb or Smokestack; I'm still letting you untap and play one thing a turn. Not my fault you want to try to get up to some degenerate bullshit. I'll definitely start calling him out on his poo poo if he picks back up on being a whiny pissbaby again though, cuz I'm not gonna pay money to sit and listen to people whine about how they can't do broken poo poo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Any good player knows that if they want to do cool and broken stuff, they have to be able to interact and protect their combo, as well as push through obstacles.

Make them earn it!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Big ol' leak for the next set:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/104jnw3/phyrexia_all_will_be_one_massive_leak/

E:

More leaks https://imgur.com/a/Cqcm1dq

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 6, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Very excited I waited to build my infect deck, now though I'm not even sure if I wanna stick with Sun Quan as commander since these other colour infect cards seems really fun.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Just be boring and play Atraxa.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sun Quan should have won the Three Kingdoms so do it anyway.

Wu gang here.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
have there been any good zombie cards recently? haven't given a poo poo about new sets since capenna burned me hard.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sun Quan should have won the Three Kingdoms so do it anyway.

Wu gang here.

Liu Bei 4 Lyfe

Dizz posted:

have there been any good zombie cards recently? haven't given a poo poo about new sets since capenna burned me hard.

The new Venser is a UB Zombie. Picture in the link I posted upthread.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 6, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Man I wish the Selesnya lady didn't need to be exiled to activate her ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

Man I wish the Selesnya lady didn't need to be exiled to activate her ability

She's basically Saffi plus a minor poison counter hoser.