Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

For that map, I huddled everyone near the castle entrance (upper-right portion in the default camera perspective), with Erador and another unit blocking the staircase. Other melee units take out anyone who approaches from the left side (and your archer(s) sniping them as well). There's at least one archer on a rooftop who will remain in their position--you don't have to engage at all (although I think they may start moving when Avlora does). Speaking of Avlora, she doesn't move until after a set number of reinforcements/after a certain number of defeated enemies, so you can use this to your advantage: provoke any dangerous units so they waste turns fruitlessly while you take some time to heal up before killing them and unleashing the next wave of reinforcements.

You basically maintain a front line of attackers while your squishy mages remain on the staircase and snipe with magic as they can. Remember: enraged enemies will do everything in their power to physically attack their provoker and will simply move and wait if they cannot reach you.

This strategy takes a lot of patience, and it will get very hectic once Avlora reaches your front line. Focusing on bursting her down is important, her one turn is worth two of her peons', AND, iirc, she is fast enough to double your slower units like Erador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Managed to clear the map by rushing the lower traps to trigger reinforcements, getting Avlora on the middle trap, getting a bunch of units on the top trapand hunkering down the staircase. Biggest regret was foelding Anna, besides triggering a trap she pretty much did nothing.

Now I've advanced and in the next choice I rejected Silvio's offer cause I can smell a traitor in a JRPG from a mile away. The chapter's named Wheather Vane fr. Now to see if it was the right choice.

EDIT: It was the right one.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

One of the cool things about this game is that there is no "wrong" choice, though there are certainly morally wrong ones. The writing is deft enough that they'll generally pull you where they want you to go despite the actions you've taken. You won't see this until you go through several playthroughs but I do highly recommend doing just that.

Sounds like your strategy worked well for that map and Anna's role while limited may have been essential. With her invisibility she's able to get to things others can't and having two actions makes her take care of things and die if necessary.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Now I've advanced and in the next choice I rejected Silvio's offer cause I can smell a traitor in a JRPG from a mile away. The chapter's named Wheather Vane fr. Now to see if it was the right choice.

EDIT: It was the right one.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

One of the cool things about this game is that there is no "wrong" choice, though there are certainly morally wrong ones.

I completely disagree, lol. I think the narrative goes out of its way to tell you that accepting Silvio's offer is a wrong choice. Ignoring what everyone says about him (including what he reveals in cutscenes to which only the player is privy that spell out his motivations), his plan makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and the characters point this out. It is a bad--and indeed wrong--choice to ship the king you just spent dozens of resources defending in a fairly fortified castle to a hard-to-defend, not-known-for-their-fighting wine country.. There is literally no reason to do so other than blind loyalty/allegiance. Spoilers for that route: Even if you choose that route, I believe the characters still believe he's up to something and remain on their guard.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Even if you accept Silvio’s offer, they know it’s a trap and prepare a plan. That battle is really hard, though, because your units aren’t together at the start of the battle so it’s easy to lose someone (almost always Roland lol) early on.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Prowler posted:

I completely disagree, lol.

What I meant by wrong choice is that there's no instant game-over for a decision you take and that the game really goes out of its way to accommodate your actions while, I think, adequately bringing it back to the general plot the game has in mind. A lesser game would've given you a game over, this game gives you a fight before working its way back.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The important thing is that when you make that choice the characters don't suddenly put idiot hats on. They suspect something but take the offer because if it does turn out to be legit then it's really advantageous.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What I meant by wrong choice is that there's no instant game-over for a decision you take and that the game really goes out of its way to accommodate your actions while, I think, adequately bringing it back to the general plot the game has in mind. A lesser game would've given you a game over, this game gives you a fight before working its way back.

True, and you are not penalized narratively or mechanically (i.e. missing out on something you might get in another route, fighting a harder fight (although YMMV on that)).

However, later on, you can actually get a game over outside of gameplay if you fail to do something during an exploration phase, and I can see a lot of players failing that section their first time through (read: I got a game over). Which is interesting, because there's a similar instance of this where the consequences are being forced into a certain path you didn't choose anyway instead of a game over.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

Barreft posted:

Biggest thing to remember. The old man may move slow, but he arrows like a loving truck.

Also Frederica rules. Now that I got a Deck I need to replay TS on it. Incredible game

Denuvo's on TS, so unless if you have an internet connection hooked up at all times to your Steam Deck, expect periodic intervals where the game will refuse to work.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pyre of Word Salsa posted:

Denuvo's on TS, so unless if you have an internet connection hooked up at all times to your Steam Deck, expect periodic intervals where the game will refuse to work.

Yeah I know, not been a problem

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Next battle wasn't too hard. Thank Frederica for being such an awesome boss killer.

Now it's tine to face the decision of helping Sus Guy do illegal contraband or tattle him to the Holu Seat... which I don't really trust much and probably is midly aware, but dude keeps Roselian concentration camps, I have to try even if it's actually a game over option.

That said, something I was dissappointed in was checking the story so far and seeing that unless giving up Roland us a fully different branch seems to eventually merge the branches to where I am, unless there's something I'm missing... but seeing as both chapter 7 options apparently lead to the Golden Ending it makes sense, and I have an idea how the story would work... still midly bummed though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I recommend giving the give up Roland route a go, it's fun. and he deserves it

Picking trust Silvio is actually the right choice. it lets you pet a cat

Prowler
May 24, 2004

That said, something I was dissappointed in was checking the story so far and seeing that unless giving up Roland us a fully different branch seems to eventually merge the branches to where I am, unless there's something I'm missing... but seeing as both chapter 7 options apparently lead to the Golden Ending it makes sense, and I have an idea how the story would work... still midly bummed though.

As you noted, it is a necessary evil. Things can become ridiculously convoluted and require too much additional dialog and other measures to cover plot holes and etc. You have games like the Trails series that have a novel's worth of dialog to account for random variations in timing alone (e.g. there's a random child NPC that I spoke to who has their 2x normal daily dialog, 2x special dialog when an event is triggered that occurs right in front of him, then has 2x special dialog after the event is over). It's cool, but wholly unnecessary and time consuming (says the translators).

That said, Triangle Strategy does account for your choices in one or two ways you might not expect, so never fear!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Prowler posted:

As you noted, it is a necessary evil. Things can become ridiculously convoluted and require too much additional dialog and other measures to cover plot holes and etc. You have games like the Trails series that have a novel's worth of dialog to account for random variations in timing alone (e.g. there's a random child NPC that I spoke to who has their 2x normal daily dialog, 2x special dialog when an event is triggered that occurs right in front of him, then has 2x special dialog after the event is over). It's cool, but wholly unnecessary and time consuming (says the translators).

That said, Triangle Strategy does account for your choices in one or two ways you might not expect, so never fear!

Obviously I don't blame the writers, and thinking about it the other route probably has Roland also faking his death for Ser Maxwell II to join House Wolfwort... but with Aerfrost more neutral towards Serenoa since he complied to their demands and Roland's sister maybe knowing about the fake death? Since I'd guess she'd be the one to help him and her knowing he's alive is probably better than my route.... And I'm also guessing instead of Silvio you deal with the cool old archer on the duke's orders and might be able to save him so he can join?

...huh. Maybe selling your friends out was the moral choice all along. Who knows, maybedoing contraband leads to the pink hair revolution!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Selling out Roland is great because:

You get attacked by Hyzante and can literally ask Gustadolph to send Avlora to your aid, which he does because he's king of Glenbrook and wants to defend a friendly vassal.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Obviously I don't blame the writers, and thinking about it the other route probably has Roland also faking his death for Ser Maxwell II to join House Wolfwort... but with Aerfrost more neutral towards Serenoa since he complied to their demands and Roland's sister maybe knowing about the fake death? Since I'd guess she'd be the one to help him and her knowing he's alive is probably better than my route.... And I'm also guessing instead of Silvio you deal with the cool old archer on the duke's orders and might be able to save him so he can join?

...huh. Maybe selling your friends out was the moral choice all along. Who knows, maybedoing contraband leads to the pink hair revolution!

While there is a *plot* there are at least 2 chapters where what you choose to do really changes things up. The second of these is really significant.

The first of these choices leads to the best fights in the game generally speaking too!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Absolutely loving the character variety. When I hears units had unique roles I guessed "oh, there's probably multiple tanks/healers/mages but with some slightly distinct characteristics" but no, like one healer is classic, another uses items and raises TP and another is on a horse and heals on attack. I just got the merchant for money farming and a Shaman who can change the weather (sadly she missed out on Sunny Day to buff Frederica).

Biggest problem is paralysis on who to give upgrades. I upgraded Hughette for more damage but idk which debuff to increase duration, and I have to decide between Benedic, the shaman and the barlady for a weapon upgrade...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Absolutely loving the character variety. When I hears units had unique roles I guessed "oh, there's probably multiple tanks/healers/mages but with some slightly distinct characteristics" but no, like one healer is classic, another uses items and raises TP and another is on a horse and heals on attack. I just got the merchant for money farming and a Shaman who can change the weather (sadly she missed out on Sunny Day to buff Frederica).

Biggest problem is paralysis on who to give upgrades. I upgraded Hughette for more damage but idk which debuff to increase duration, and I have to decide between Benedic, the shaman and the barlady for a weapon upgrade...

Yeah the uniqueness is its best feature. I easily get choice paralysis and the whole new anyone can do anything in FE killed it for me. Plus it allows for tighter game design since they know all the parameters.

These are good problems to have. Again focus on the units you use the most. As for the choices that can be an OR one you can always change it later for free. For Hughette, I had the immobility one one for a long time, but eventually moved to blindness. It's cheaper on TP and Blind is very very useful but it all depends on how you see things, no pun intended.

Barlady is seriously one of my favorite units. With enough upgrades she ends up being one of the strongest characters in the game. The Shaman is neat, but is probably one of the units I used the least. I was never great with mages, due to how necessary for them a TP battery was.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hot drat this next fight seems real tough. Starting at the bottom of cliffs with a bunch of archers to the otherside is just mean. And if I send people to the opposite side they get mauled. And the people with high mobility (Hughette and Anna) deal even less damage that the low damage I deal.

I feel like I'm playing real badly. Except Frederica on one enemy I barely deal any damage or set any followups while enemies can just follow me to death.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The strategy that finally worked for me in that fight was pulling my characters back and advancing up the left side cliff. Trying to go up the right side cliff immediately just gets you flanked by the rogues from the left cliff while the archers rain shots on you. Jens was really good on that map as he can make ladders to help you get the high ground faster and can use his traps to deal fall damage to anyone who tries to advance on your position.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

You can swap which selection you took at any time IIRC. So Hughette can swap to the other debuff if you find it more useful.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

dude789 posted:

The strategy that finally worked for me in that fight was pulling my characters back and advancing up the left side cliff. Trying to go up the right side cliff immediately just gets you flanked by the rogues from the left cliff while the archers rain shots on you. Jens was really good on that map as he can make ladders to help you get the high ground faster and can use his traps to deal fall damage to anyone who tries to advance on your position.

Big issue was my characters didn't have enough move and ladders seem to have a movement penalty/still require jumping. I still managed it with Erador's sacrofice.

The thing is the battle annoyed me enough I just farmed the latest mock battle to get on par with the next fight and I'm farming money to clear out the accesories in the shop :v:

The Salt Minister will never see it coming when my former-minister old man spiner busts down his storage. I do really hope there's a movement acc to help him, he's the coolest character so far.

EDIT: Advanced a bit more. "Heya, we'll let you be our patsy if you just give up your persecuted people to the concentration camp-":fuckoff:

House Wolfwort continues with their proud tradition of stabbing anyone who dares offer them an aliance. And if they die alone and without allies... maybe it's for the better.

Although Aerfrost now in retrospect is a "maybe should have agreed". But only maybe and it would have probably involved a betrayal at some point.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 2, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Does Luck actually make crits happen? The Chemist and Merchant get high luck and I had them whip and stab some trapped soldiers in a mock battle a bunch but I never saw a crit. Regardless it's funny to think of Serenoa zoning out at the bar imagining it happening

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Since all your characters get experience from it I like to think they're all sitting there at a big table in the bar playing D&D/a wargame.
And uh, the items and money you get for it are the barkeep giving you little presents for doing things in the game.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

(Chapter 12+ spoilers) Dragan totally found a vein of pink salt, didn't they? That's why Aerfrost cut ties with Hyzante, they found their own salt. Not happy to have to team up with the guys who will absolutely backstab us in order to keep their secret.

And wow, a three way choice this time! Although the question is between blowing the bridge to siege them and help the townsfolk, or blowing their ships up so they can't escape, cause flooding the country seems like a very bad choice in the long run.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

(Chapter 12+ spoilers) Dragan totally found a vein of pink salt, didn't they? That's why Aerfrost cut ties with Hyzante, they found their own salt. Not happy to have to team up with the guys who will absolutely backstab us in order to keep their secret.

And wow, a three way choice this time! Although the question is between blowing the bridge to siege them and help the townsfolk, or blowing their ships up so they can't escape, cause flooding the country seems like a very bad choice in the long run.

I love that choice, every single one of those fights is excellent and generally very unique. I've made a save there just so I can run those maps at will.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, it's wild how the level 18 mock battle is so loving hard lots of enemies with your units all over the place and a time limit, and then there's the level 20 one where the enemies die much faster and give better exp.

Is there any better money making ways than Lionel+Drop ring+the level 10 mock battle around lv 20? There's an itirenant merchant with lots of stuff I'd like to buy...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I feel bad that I'm so bad at this game, I was also stuck on the "you're in a valley surrounded by archers" battle until I looked up someone else playing it and found that counterintuitively it's best to retreat into the valley further so you can go around and up one of the sides, and then the boss comes at you relatively isolated.

I feel like I'm bad at making choices. Turtling up is bad because enemy mages and archers have the same range that you do. Healing that way is unsustainable unless you bring multiple healers (why the gently caress can Hossabara not target herself with Be Brave??). Striking out gets you surrounded if you're not careful about it.

Bosses also have like triple the health of any of your characters.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Man, it's wild how the level 18 mock battle is so loving hard lots of enemies with your units all over the place and a time limit, and then there's the level 20 one where the enemies die much faster and give better exp.

Is there any better money making ways than Lionel+Drop ring+the level 10 mock battle around lv 20? There's an itirenant merchant with lots of stuff I'd like to buy...

Honestly that lvl 10 mock battle is the best way. You're close to where Fred can one-shot everyone in that map and with the right positioning you can have her Pillar of Fire 3, then Scorch 3, kill 1 and then wait while Lionel picks things up. You shouldn't take anyone but her and Lionel, maybe Julio if she can't regenerate her own TP (she will be able to do this eventually.) I could clean up in just tens of minutes each run last 2-3 mins tops. Make sure she's got the ring that generates more moneybags.

bewilderment posted:

I feel bad that I'm so bad at this game, I was also stuck on the "you're in a valley surrounded by archers" battle until I looked up someone else playing it and found that counterintuitively it's best to retreat into the valley further so you can go around and up one of the sides, and then the boss comes at you relatively isolated.

I feel like I'm bad at making choices. Turtling up is bad because enemy mages and archers have the same range that you do. Healing that way is unsustainable unless you bring multiple healers (why the gently caress can Hossabara not target herself with Be Brave??). Striking out gets you surrounded if you're not careful about it.

Bosses also have like triple the health of any of your characters.

It depends how you Turtle, but it's actually really effective in this game especially in higher difficulties. Of course positioning is key so if you turtle in the valley you're dead. Map control is pretty much invaluable so always consider who gives you an advantage in a map. If its got lots of height Jens, Anna, and Hughette will give you a huge advantage. If you have choke points bring tanks. Mages are very powerful, but less useful than you may think, on both sides. They can usually only hit once and then they need to recharge their batteries, which you can do, but the enemy rarely can.

Hossabara is not a healer. She's powerhouse who can heal, but she's really not very good at it, so it shouldn't be what you use her for. Striking out only works with a small squad of 3-5 very powerful units who can eliminate small groups of 2-3 enemies. It's a numbers game in that either side needs to be overwhelmed to be killed. As someone said in the Switch thread, you don't really one-shot people, rather whittle away at them while surviving their blows.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bruh I did that lv10 mock battle like 100 times, it’s definitely the best one. I used Frederica with an accessory that gives her AP when she kills a guy and then just one-shotted everyone and picked up the money with Lionel.

Edit: might have been an ability she has to get AP when she kills a guy. SP? It’s been a minute since I played the game lol

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is this game supposed to be such hard going in the beginning? I just played I think the third battle, and it felt like my guys were doing so little damage and had to waste so many turns moving around the battlefield even though my opponents were all mages who could hit me from where ever. My poor shieldbearer guy just got dismantled and killed between turns. :(

Do things start to pick up pretty soon? I'm putting a lot of trust in the goon hive mind here lol, it's been a lot of slow world-building and politicking dialogue without very much gameplay so far, and I'm several hours in now, just got back from visiting one of the allied countries after the tournament. I picked the one that's apparently super-racist against all the pink-haired anime waifus and keeps them as slaves for the salt mines. Felt very bad getting railroaded into fighting the mages that want to go against their religious fascism. :ohdear:

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 3, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The gameplay is definitely on the challenging side; that sounds like my experience with it too at first, but that was coming from other games where you can have characters that can feasibly one-shot enemies. Here, nobody has skills that are that OP, and it's very hard to be overleveled because of the exp scaling. I found it satisfying once I got in the groove because you really have to think about which characters to bring along and how to use them instead of just bringing your highest level people and whacking away because you have high enough defense to tank hits.

The story is frontloaded and the start of the game definitely has the most cutscenes between battles; later on the balance between battles/story is better, and even when it isn't, you can do mock battles (you still get XP and items) if you're getting tired of reading. I think once you start getting random people joining your party a la Suikoden you'll be at a point that's more representative of the gameplay/story balance.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Chapter 7 is generally considered to be where the game picks up steam and a very slow early game is a common complaint. It doesn't help that for the first couple chapters you don't have access to the mental mock battles so the dialogue/gameplay split is skewed even more towards dialogue.

As far as the difficulty, if you're playing on hard then it will remain very difficult the entire way through. Most enemy skillsets will remain very simple but on hard they will far surpass you team in terms of damage dealt and taken. As you progress the enemies won't be able to keep up in terms of available moves but the damage difference will continue to increase and will generally have starting formation and numbers that more heavily favor them. Once you reach NG+ and later playthroughs though you will have so many options and available strategies that the enemy will have a much harder time keeping up with your team.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I feel ashamed. I ended uo turning the difficulty down to Easy on the next fight because enemies were dealing so much damage and I couldn't finish them properly. I just wanted Frederica to have the chance to murder her evil siblings :negative:

Honestly I feel a big problem is that there's, not many true DPS units that are not mages or the old guy, like only 3 or 4. The game shines on unit variety but sometimes it feels it wants you to bring a lot of DPS... I might just be bad at strategy.

Also wth the initial promotion item gets rolled out so slowly if everybody else comes at Tier 2, Erador is still at Tier 1 and Chapter 13-14.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To those who are struggling at the moment, I have two questions:

1. Are you playing on hard?
2. Do you have access to Medina and if so, do you want further tips on what to do with her?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I feel ashamed. I ended uo turning the difficulty down to Easy on the next fight because enemies were dealing so much damage and I couldn't finish them properly. I just wanted Frederica to have the chance to murder her evil siblings :negative:

Honestly I feel a big problem is that there's, not many true DPS units that are not mages or the old guy, like only 3 or 4. The game shines on unit variety but sometimes it feels it wants you to bring a lot of DPS... I might just be bad at strategy.

Also wth the initial promotion item gets rolled out so slowly if everybody else comes at Tier 2, Erador is still at Tier 1 and Chapter 13-14.

Erador is a tank, maybe part of your problem is that you aren’t soaking up hits with your tanks while letting your attackers deal damage? He’s one of the toughest units in the game. Provoke is incredibly good and he can provoke multiple enemies at once. In general, debuffs like provoke/blind/the one where they can’t move are really good. You should try to draw enemies out in small numbers and then take them out individually. It’s really easy to get overwhelmed, slow and steady is the way to go.

The store should restock those promotion medals every few chapters, but yeah I think I had just gotten everyone to tier 2 with a few at tier 3 when I cleared the game the first time. It’s a game that’s meant to be played multiple times, after all.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Natural 20 posted:

To those who are struggling at the moment, I have two questions:

1. Are you playing on hard?
2. Do you have access to Medina and if so, do you want further tips on what to do with her?

1) On Normal.

2) Haven't used her much due to both not buying much healing pellets until recently and her TP stuff (which I assume makes her broken) not unlocking till 20s (she should get it soon)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
If you ended up with the map where you get pincered by Thalos and Erika on the bridge, that is one of the most difficult chapters in the game. I ended up cheesing it by putting Archibald and Hughette on the upper levels and spreading damage around until the healer AI brain farted. I was able to keep Frederica alive and it was pretty cool to see her blast Erika away as Erika can't damage Frederica if her Fire Absorb skill is active.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

1) On Normal.

2) Haven't used her much due to both not buying much healing pellets until recently and her TP stuff (which I assume makes her broken) not unlocking till 20s (she should get it soon)

Coolio.

She's already broken.

TP stuff takes her to overdrive but her pellet healing is better than what Geela does, except with the option to heal two targets in a turn if she wants to, or area heal if she wants to.

She's also got a more efficient version of Benedict "Now" for minimal cost.

On a lot of maps she'll do you wonders because you can afford to drop an entire healer for another utility/damage character and let Medina handle everything herself.

On the bridge map, I didn't have to cheese on normal, just rushed down one side with everyone, cleared it out and then turned to face the other. It's certainly intense, but it's basically a case study in what Tristrat usually wants from you; which is to overwhelm a part of the map with superior numbers and then defend from that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Here are a few tips that carried me in the game:

1. Erador Erador Erador. Provoke is a ridiculously powerful status effect. Mages can't cast magic when they're angry, and other units will focus fire on him with physical attacks, which he can easily endure. There are a few ways to improve this: give him the Fire Counterattack buff, which does percentage damage as a counter attack to any melee attack (giving him actual damage output); buff his defense with an item or spell, and have him either heal himself or spend all his turns healing. Do not spec him for damage, spec him for defense.

2. Serenoa and Roland are not really front line fighters and can get overwhelmed if they push too far forward. Roland hits from a distance and should be positioned to swoop in and trigger follow-up attacks with his high mobility. Serenoa can strike from a distance with enough TP, and can get crits and etc with some clever positioning.

3. Funky Cold Medina. Grab some really cheap HP pellets and use her as a TP battery (or as an item healer when possible). The 5-panel healing pellets will also recover TP to the targeted area.

4. The AI can get broken in a number of ways, as they prefer setting up for big damage than following through (e.g. tossing oil everywhere).

5. Ice magic and ice wall, if available, are incredibly valuable if you need to stop an enemy advance. Ice itiles reduce movement, and ice wall prevents it (and AI units tend to target them for attacks).

6. If you have no reason to move or act, don't move or act. Sometimes, not taking a turn--and having a turn come around sooner to respond to the enemy's move, is the better decision. (I can't remember what the bonus to speed is for not acting/moving, it mentions it in a tutorial).

7. The turtle/defensive strategy is a bit OP in this game.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 3, 2023