Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Reface DX is by all accounts a great piece of gear, and resells pretty well. If I was looking for hardware, I’d snatch it up, but not at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Pollyanna posted:

Do not buy that.

to be clear, I would not. I might be party to a PCB group buy depending on total costs, but that's mostly because I'm an AI & ML nerd on the side. There's a Jetson Nano sitting on my desk for no good reason rn, in fact.

The reasons I wouldn't throw cash at someone else's build mostly relate to how likely it is to have Google Unsupported Thing problems of various kinds, combined with how fast the tech is moving, etc. And also it's not like this is Sweetwater or some known entity with a support policy, seems like it's a kickstarter in all but name, who knows if there's anyone to email in 8 months if it fails. (Making a lot of assumptions from the look of the website, did not dig deeper).

I know there was already one "Eurorack ML thing powered by Jetson" that was protoyped and maybe even sold in some small number a year or so ago, and I think we may see new breeds of synthesis approaches come out of this, so that "ML/AI generative synthesizers" are just another class of digital thing, and there will be a spectrum of algorithms, workflows and uses.

My experimentation makes me think the tech in its current form (meaning stuff like RiffDiffusion, and not this Google thing I have not tried) is already good enough to create some pretty interesting effects. I am waiting for dreambooth-grade ease-of-use for "import 200 of my own stems and make a riff model thats `cabbages_like`" before I start dicking with it, because I already waste too much of my life keeping AI environments updated for StableDiffusion.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

If anything I'd just see if I can run it in software to dick around with, like hell am I buying a Google toy project for $400
I am assuming whoever is selling those is minimally inflating the price by 100% and probably more. I haven't priced out the parts, but assuming self assembly it seems more like a pain in the rear end timewise than money wise. If I did really want one and the math worked out that it was "$100 plus 12 hours of your time to build it completely, and 10 of those hours are lovely soldering" vs "$250 and 2 hours of your time to assemble" vs "$400 ready to go out of the box", personally I'd probably just spend $400 because I hate soldering poo poo. Thankfully I don't really want one, I just think it's neat that it happened so fast!

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 29, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

some kinda jackal posted:

Or maybe I should just get a bigger house :thunk:

:same:

I got an 8x8 “loft” area at the top of the stairs for my music studio. No walls, no door, just a weird little nook maybe meant for a home office or something. It sucks.

I have unspecified plans to eventually get a bigger place, especially since I’m now working from home full-time in the living room, and my wife spends half her workday working out of the guest bedroom because she’s required to have a closed door due to HIPAA poo poo with her job (not a doctor or nurse).

I’m holding off on getting a second Mantis case and expanding my eurorack monstrosity further simply because I have no room for it. :sad:

Would be great if I could get a place where I could have my work office and my music studio all in the same room for when things get slow at work. :unsmigghh:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone know how to make a vocal patch? Like those old pseudo-choir patches you hear in 90s music. Here’s an example:

https://youtu.be/kKIhEIzzlis?t=27m01s

I have no idea what exactly is happening to cause this effect, it doesn’t sound like any particular wave or filter to me. What is this?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Generally choir patches are ROMpler based. Either a choir sample with loop points or a choir sample at the attack phase that fades into a digital synth sound. There’s also formant synthesis and effects that will give you discrete “AEIOU” sounds, but those tend to sound more robot-like.

So in short, you’re not going to make choir sounds from a standard Sine/Square/Saw subtractive synth. Sampler presets and ROMplers will most likely get you what you’re looking for.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
That specific example you linked to sounds a lot like a low-res sample of someone singing "Oh", pitched up, with reverb added. Reminds me of the stock "Hello" sample on the Casio SK-1.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Here's an example of a subtractive analog choir patch - these get programmed basically like string synths (though this one I'm pretty sure is all detune, no bbds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa7eDQi-njM&t=144s

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Now that I actually took the time to RTFM on Arpitecht, the thing is fun as (fun) poo poo. loving around patch: https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-01-01-vaguely_sinister-2

I left this patched because I want to add some ambience and reverb to the main voice, and also add some drums and maybe make something resembling a track here.

but the point is that arpitecht is fun as (fun) poo poo, I am glad I snagged one before they vanished, glad I managed to get a Triad, and an A-111-4 or maybe just a Quadnic is almost certainly in my near future for Triad Things.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone know how to make a vocal patch? Like those old pseudo-choir patches you hear in 90s music. Here’s an example:

https://youtu.be/kKIhEIzzlis?t=27m01s

I have no idea what exactly is happening to cause this effect, it doesn’t sound like any particular wave or filter to me. What is this?

What you're hearing is most likely a Waldorf Microwave. It uses a wavetable for the choir patch. It's this weird and wonderful thing between sample-based and synthesized.

If you need something more vocal-ish, check https://klevgrand.com/products/pipa, otherwise try https://waldorfmusic.com/ppg-wave-3-v-en/.

Yes - theoretically Vital etc should work as well, but the wavetables in there are magnitudes more complex.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

some kinda jackal posted:

I feel like just have ONE piece of gear too much for the space I have. The world's dumbest game of tetris. Or maybe I should just get a bigger house :thunk:

This is exactly the problem I'm running into, especially after the Opsix and Wavestate sales this year. I'm still waiting on keyboard arms, but I just installed a 4x2 slatwall panel with aluminum inserts above my desk. I'll post up some photos once I get all the parts in, but moving my mixer and other midi controlled instruments up off my desk onto keyboard arms should be a game changer since I can control everything with the keystep. I also bought some overpriced (imo) eurorack rails and am going to build a 12U/126HP case (like this) to pop these larger moog modules and everything else into. I really wanted a Jaspers rack, but they're a pain to get in the US and I think slatwall actually winds up being cheaper and more versatile for me.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Somewhat related: anyone have tips on managing cables? Every time I move, I swear this is going to be the time I route my cables all proper and neat and every time by the time I move out it's an absolute rat's nest back there. Going to try to actually do it right this time but we'll see.

I've tried a buncha stuff, but I'm pretty excited about these little cable clips I just ordered. My plan is to put them on small slatwall brackets or hanger plates so I can move them around fairly easily and add cable routing that I can easily reconfigure ad hoc.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone had any issues with the Native Instruments free holiday gift of December (Hypha) failing to appear for them in Native Access (or Kontakt) despite being associated with their Native Instruments account? I added Hypha back in December when it was made available, and when I look at my NI account on NI's website, I see it listed there with the various other serial numbers of other NI software I own. But when I try to find it in Native Access it's simply not there (neither among my uninstalled products nor among my installed products). I've even gone into Native Access with the serial number I get from my NI account webpage and entered the serial manually, and it tells my Hypha is associated with my account, but still nothing shows up.

Never had a situation before where the NI website reflected I owned a product by Native Access did not agree. Anyone else encountered this?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone had any issues with the Native Instruments free holiday gift of December (Hypha) failing to appear for them in Native Access (or Kontakt) despite being associated with their Native Instruments account? I added Hypha back in December when it was made available, and when I look at my NI account on NI's website, I see it listed there with the various other serial numbers of other NI software I own. But when I try to find it in Native Access it's simply not there (neither among my uninstalled products nor among my installed products). I've even gone into Native Access with the serial number I get from my NI account webpage and entered the serial manually, and it tells my Hypha is associated with my account, but still nothing shows up.

Never had a situation before where the NI website reflected I owned a product by Native Access did not agree. Anyone else encountered this?

Do you have the latest version of native access? I was stuck on an older version that wasn't prompting me to update. I manually downloaded and installed the new version and that fixed it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I am crap at configuring midi because I usually play stuff independently but I have a question for those with a Monologue.

I’d like to save some space by using my monologue keyboard to control my Moog Minitaur but I don’t want it to take over any of the parameters, just send the keyboard notes as if I just plugged a barebones controller directly into it. Can I do that? It seems like no matter what I select the Minitaur loses a few knobs.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

havelock posted:

Do you have the latest version of native access? I was stuck on an older version that wasn't prompting me to update. I manually downloaded and installed the new version and that fixed it.

I do, and weirdly what I just noticed is that I have Native Access installed on both my desktop and my laptop, and on the desktop I see Hypha, while on the laptop I don't. The page where you redeem Hypha suggests there may be some delay in it showing up, and today was the first time I tried to use it on my laptop, so maybe it will be there tomorrow.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Are trackers within the scope of this thread? I just got custom firmware going on my 3DS so I'm messing around with LSDJ and Fatass Tracker.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Are trackers within the scope of this thread? I just got custom firmware going on my 3DS so I'm messing around with LSDJ and Fatass Tracker.

:justpost: IMO

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, post about all the trackers. The superior sequencing solution.

LSDJ is probably the best of them all (that I've used) in terms of interface, laying out notes is so dang smooth. Never heard of fatass though, give us the deets.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Post about the 3ds for sure. Im running the korg poo poo on my 3ds and its a lot of fun. would like to know what other ppl do on 3ds too

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

xzzy posted:

Yes, post about all the trackers. The superior sequencing solution.

LSDJ is probably the best of them all (that I've used) in terms of interface, laying out notes is so dang smooth. Never heard of fatass though, give us the deets.

Fatass is a port of Fast Tracker II to GBC by Jeremy Evers. (https://archive.org/details/demo_fatass_tracker) I don't know enough about trackers to know how it differs from LSDJ.

To get the custom firmware going I used https://3ds.hacks.guide/

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

havelock posted:

Actually, looks like it was exactly this. Just updated Native Access on my laptop, and bam! there's Hypha. Thanks very much!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise Renoise

Speaking of Renoise, today I made this pile of poo poo:

https://on.soundcloud.com/EU9Qx

gently caress you, it’s Jamuary 2nd!

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I tried Renoise but it felt weird IDK. I think I'll give ReViSiT a go when I feel like making music on computer again. Track is dank Pollyanna.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks, I artificially lengthened it 2x by copy-pasting all the bars I had written :coal: math

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's the difference between a blank cell and OFF in trackers? I'm guessing it depends on the instrument type, certain sounds are continuous and require a note off or a kill and others aren't.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's the difference between a blank cell and OFF in trackers? I'm guessing it depends on the instrument type, certain sounds are continuous and require a note off or a kill and others aren't.

Traditionally trackers don't have envelopes on notes, so you'd need a note off to stop playing it. A blank cell does nothing, so if a note is already playing it continues to do so.

Envelopes are super common now though.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I just picked up the Roland J-6, and I realize I want a small, battery powered (but still runnable off external power) mixer.

The Teenage Engineering one is a no, it's way too expensive and the ports are too close together.
The Volca Mix is tempting, it's $110 on backorder a lot of places, but I played around with one at a local shop today and I'm not super into it.

I figure I wouldn't need more than like 3-4 inputs, and really that's pushing it. If I'm plugging in more stuff than that I'm out of the portable zone anyways and can use a larger mixer.

TC-Helicon Blender is $50 more than the Volca Mix and it doesn't look like what I want.

Maker Hart Loop Mixer seems to be around $75 and looks close to what I want, minus the lack of battery.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
if you're using a roland aira compact + 1 other synth (or chain of pocket operators), you don't need a mixer. they have mix in on them. love mixerless mini synth jams.

if i can't chain them with mix in, i use this 35 dollar 8 channel usb-c powered mixer with a battey bank

i have a myvolts 5 input passive mixer coming that i hope works well

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
also, im going a bit gas crazy with portable stuff. i've bought 4 volcas (sample2, bass, modular, fm2) and a pocket operator (po14 sub) in the last 30 days. bought a zoom recorder for portable jamming too

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I forbid you from buying any more gear until you make and release music with what you currently have :colbert:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

CatBlack posted:

if you're using a roland aira compact + 1 other synth (or chain of pocket operators), you don't need a mixer. they have mix in on them. love mixerless mini synth jams.

if i can't chain them with mix in, i use this 35 dollar 8 channel usb-c powered mixer with a battey bank

i have a myvolts 5 input passive mixer coming that i hope works well

Hmm, just using the built in mixing will probably work, thanks. I mostly just want to plug the OP-Z, J-6, and E-4 all together for portable jams. I might mix in a Volca or two sometimes.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Chainclaw posted:

Hmm, just using the built in mixing will probably work, thanks. I mostly just want to plug the OP-Z, J-6, and E-4 all together for portable jams. I might mix in a Volca or two sometimes.

I picked up a cheap Bastl Dude recently and have had no complaints - https://bastl-instruments.com/instruments/dude

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Boody posted:

I picked up a cheap Bastl Dude recently and have had no complaints - https://bastl-instruments.com/instruments/dude

I was on board until I got to "The mixer is monophonic", I want stereo, I think. The Roland E-4 has some great stereo effects.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Man, having an Init patch available on the Virus again is so much better for learning the intricacies of how to actually program the drat thing. Still thinking of picking up Syntorial and going through that to get my subtractive synth knowledge a bit more fleshed out, but now I can actually do the exercises on the hardware as well which will be handy.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

CatBlack posted:

bought a zoom recorder for portable jamming too

what did you go with? been going back and forth between buying a zoom h6 and tascam x8 for recording samples / jams.

the tascam x8 is the winner on paper but the build quality on the mics (plasticy, they just look cheap) is a big turn off for me. also i feel like using a touch screen on a field recorder is going to be an exercise in patience, and if it's winter time just a big annoyance.

e: is there a field recording thread?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Let me go bust out my Babylonian stone tablets so I can share what I've done in Impulse Tracker.

/edit: Not snarking anybody for using trackers, trackers rule, but "trackers are ancient history" jokes were already common in tracker communities 20 years ago and it's amazing to see them still going :D

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 4, 2023

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

CRAYON posted:

what did you go with? been going back and forth between buying a zoom h6 and tascam x8 for recording samples / jams.

the tascam x8 is the winner on paper but the build quality on the mics (plasticy, they just look cheap) is a big turn off for me. also i feel like using a touch screen on a field recorder is going to be an exercise in patience, and if it's winter time just a big annoyance.

e: is there a field recording thread?

i got a zoom h1n. feels like a cheap mcdonalds toy but it does everything i need and sounds good. both the ones you mentioned should be good, i did a tiny amount of research and the only ones to avoid are low end tascams (due to interference)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I want to get rid of Chipz and ....

edit: this isn't the gear thread. poo poo. but it gets a lot more traffic...

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I want to get rid of Chipz and ....

edit: this isn't the gear thread. poo poo. but it gets a lot more traffic...

Sorry, no one wants Chipz. :lol:

I hear there’s always a glut of them on Reverb. Cre8 should probably be fined for generating e-waste at this point.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/la_meme_young/status/1610356415939637250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How many thousands is it going to cost?