Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm disappointed the aquarium PC isn't using the ank as part of the cooling loop. I have to run a heater to keep my tropical fish happy so that would be two fish with one gadget so to speak.

It's an interesting idea but I suspect unless you had a heat exchanger to isolate the two systems then the tiny structures in the computer cooling part would get clogged up over time with microorganisms or just detritus. Plus, with PC cooling there's such a ramp up and down with CPU power and heat dissipation you'd probably need to be able to independently start and stop the cooling so you don't cook the fish. Maybe with a much bigger tank, temperature control hardware, and a link to be able to throttle the system up or down if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's time. The Disappointment Build 2022.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-LQua3toJ0

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rexxed posted:

It's an interesting idea but I suspect unless you had a heat exchanger to isolate the two systems then the tiny structures in the computer cooling part would get clogged up over time with microorganisms or just detritus. Plus, with PC cooling there's such a ramp up and down with CPU power and heat dissipation you'd probably need to be able to independently start and stop the cooling so you don't cook the fish. Maybe with a much bigger tank, temperature control hardware, and a link to be able to throttle the system up or down if needed.

Yeah, maybe some sort of heat exchanger with a buffer tank between them so you could store excess heat and decouple computer usage timing from tank heating timing. My thermodynamics knowledge is as bad as all my other physics knowledge so…

Why am I mind-building this? I don’t even want an aquarium or open-loop cooler really. Well, not very much. Probably.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Just take an AIO and toss the radiator (sans fans) in the fish tank. :smuggo:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm disappointed the aquarium PC isn't using the ank as part of the cooling loop. I have to run a heater to keep my tropical fish happy so that would be two fish with one gadget so to speak.

Fish get real hosed up with fluctuating temps. They prefer it like 5 degrees cooler always than comfortable rather than it jumping +-5 degrees every couple hours.

Some species would be ok but most would probably die in those conditions.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve gets parodied.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dQzbnSkcA

And gives his feedback in the comments.

quote:

Your charts are too legible though, please add 5x as many parts so that no one can read them on mobile.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Friendship with Tech Jesus ended, new friendship with Blonde Tech Jesus begun.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Fish get real hosed up with fluctuating temps. They prefer it like 5 degrees cooler always than comfortable rather than it jumping +-5 degrees every couple hours.

Some species would be ok but most would probably die in those conditions.
Well duh that's why you'll need a thermostat to only open the tank loop when needed to maintain their favorite temp :)

Obviously it's a dumb idea... but on the other hand why am I paying to run a separate heater in the tank anyway

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Friendship with Tech Jesus ended, new friendship with Blonde Tech Jesus begun.

Yes please have her do all GN videos from now thx

E: I kind of phased out Linus content but I just saw he did a review of an AE laptop and couldn't skip it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um0l6ZSxfTE

As a haver of Chinese laptop I'm not really surprised once I saw which CPU it's using. The camera and keyboard choice are definitely bizarre though. If you didn't want that there are better options though.

That's probably Linus lol.

They really should've checked the BIOS for memory and power settings though. I can get my N5100 permanently at 2.8ghz.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 2, 2023

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I feel like if any pet would want to live on top of a computer it would be some kind of reptile. I know cats like it up there, but I doubt they'd want to live in the box.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Very funny and interesting Gamers Nexus video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCChvfi3GA0

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
WTH is a flipped cap

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Palladium posted:

WTH is a flipped cap

This specific motherboard, one of the capacitors had been put on backwards. Boards with flipped caps had issues with catching on fire or exploring.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SalTheBard posted:

This specific motherboard, one of the capacitors had been put on backwards. Boards with flipped caps had issues with catching on fire or exploring.

A reverse voltage up to 1V is quite tolerable long-term for a electrolytic cap IINW

if that flipped cap is used to power the CPU that has a Vcore around 1V anyway that wouldn't be a problem with enough luck

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
rough revenue figure

https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1609468262219403264

why the timeline is a bit broken

https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1609469139458084864

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Honestly that seems pretty abysmal for the effort and staff that goes into making LMG what it is. I know the YouTube revenue is only a fraction of what they pull in but still.

Linus goes on to say that it doesn't even cover payroll.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Honestly that seems pretty abysmal for the effort and staff that goes into making LMG what it is. I know the YouTube revenue is only a fraction of what they pull in but still.

I always remember Tom Scott responding to the comment of how do you support yourself through Youtube with "You don't, you can't." The actual money always comes through external stuff.

Anyway have we had a pie chart showing where the money comes from and a hilarious meltdown over SponsorBlock like we got last year?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

yeah, youtube numbers in general seem very underwhelming. i think the adpocalypse completely did away with the gravy train of old youtube ad money, which is why so many youtubers started getting involved in twitch

the extent to which merchandise seems like an outright necessity than a quirky venture is becoming very clear

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
LTT did a reaction video to all their worst and cringiest videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E44CQ-8ooI

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drat he did all their videos?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mr.Radar posted:

LTT did a reaction video to all their worst and cringiest videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E44CQ-8ooI

njsykora posted:

drat he did all their videos?
It's Linus Eminem lol

edit: they painted a motherboard black and were surprised when it didn't work?!!

SlowBloke posted:

That is exactly the same model of carry strap i got with my DFI lanparty in the early 2ks https://www.newegg.com/dfi-lanparty-pc-transpo/p/N82E16811987001
No one forgets the ANTEC SUPER LANBOY
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811129145

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 4, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

kliras posted:

which is why so many youtubers started getting involved in twitch

that is drying up too. twitch is already shoving more ads everywhere, and changed their cut of subscriber revenue from 30% to 50% last year

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I never bothered actually getting one because my PC was heavy as gently caress beige case monstrosity for most of my lanning years and carrying it with a handle would have actually been much harder.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

F.D. Signifier posted:

edit: they painted a motherboard black and were surprised when it didn't work?!!

I watched that one and yep. IIRC they basically went "huh we should have seen that coming. Anyway," and cut to sponsor.

Still less dumb than the minivan.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

F.D. Signifier posted:

Lots of people are raised in households that don’t believe in motherboard photophilia.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Inept posted:

that is drying up too. twitch is already shoving more ads everywhere, and changed their cut of subscriber revenue from 30% to 50% last year

Bezos!!!!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Inept posted:

It's worth noting that this only applies to like the top 0.01% of streamers, the ones with special contracts with Twitch. Everyone else was already on 50%, so nothing changed for them.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

yeah, and if the people with the most viewers and sway are getting hosed for an extra 20%, what's going to happen to everyone else longer term

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Top streamers make gently caress all from subs. It’s the sponsored content bringing in the money. Asmongold went over it when he broke character and basically said the new changes gently caress over anyone under 1-2k viewers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
“Broke character”? People find that obnoxious act interesting?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's not exactly a shortage of obnoxious people who make a career out of being obnoxious.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's not exactly a shortage of obnoxious people who make a career out of being obnoxious.

needs more tryhard youtuber face

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Vintersorg posted:

Top streamers make gently caress all from subs. It’s the sponsored content bringing in the money. Asmongold went over it when he broke character and basically said the new changes gently caress over anyone under 1-2k viewers.

Was ths MAGA bit a character as well?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

jisforjosh posted:

Was ths MAGA bit a character as well?

No, you see, it was Make Azeroth Great Again on a red baseball cap, definitely no association implied or otherwise to your garden variety shitheads in red caps!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
"it's just a character" is the dumbest hand-waving excuse

even dr disrespect knows better than that

mewse
May 2, 2006

god help me for defending asmongold even tangentially but he has a separate youtube channel called zachrawr or something where he doesn’t play the asmongold character. i am not saying he’s not a shithead

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

We've had online personalities for more than a decade now, so we've had time to become very familiar with how goes:
They play a character until they get bored and drop it.
Their audience gets bored of the character and they disappear into obscurity.
It turns out that it wasn't a character.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

does anyone actually know anyone in real life who watches mr beast videos?

his viewership is 1% of the planet, his thumbnails look like that and I dont know a single person whos ever seen his videos. Is it all bots, or 6 year olds on their age restricted fire tablets, or what

https://twitter.com/MrBeast/status/1607704855631613953?s=20

e: the full image is even worse

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The first time I encountered a Mr Beast video was when I browsed YouTube without being logged in for the first time in a decade. I guess he makes hamburgers now and packs entire malls with people desperate to eat them? I don’t loving know.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

views aren't unique viewers, it's all unsupervised children with ipads watching the same videos over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

He has a dedicated “philanthropy” channel now which got recommended to me recently. He’s really the corporate image wet dream.