Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Well, I guess we know why *your* weenie hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I signed up for the 500 but only rode 1-1.5 hours on the trainer each day because it's winter and cold and

jesus christ

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

how do I order something like this and size it appropriately for me / my riding partner by comparing it to a bike I already own?

I keep seeing deals like this pop up on bikes and I don't feel comfortable ordering them because I don't have that LBS guy who knows what fits me.

a winter bike that cheap is insanely appealing.

That geo visualization above: https://www.bike-stats.de/en/geometrie_vergleich

Or here if you want to look at geo numbers:
https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/framed-minnesota-2020/
And add the bike you have for reference.

Major caveat: you can only reliably compare flat bar to flat bar, or drop to drop.

If reach and stack are within 1cm of each other, did be ready to tweak the stem to get the same fit on each.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Almost certainly the most kJ in an 8-day period for me, by a little bit.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 1, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Almost certainly the most kJ in an 8-day period for me, by a little bit.

Festive 1,000 buddies

Strong work

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
my saddle is on a fixed bracket so i can't tilt it :( thank you all for the problemshooting tho, i've lifted the saddle up a little bit so my knees don't end up crumbling, even if my weenie does

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hmm, can you get a closeup of the mechanism?
A replacement with this adjustment would be $15-20, so might be worth it.

Also, let's not be delicate -- is it getting numb? Or flat out hurting?

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, can you get a closeup of the mechanism?
A replacement with this adjustment would be $15-20, so might be worth it.

Also, let's not be delicate -- is it getting numb? Or flat out hurting?

it's late as gently caress here so going outside to take a picture would be a futile effort - i'll post pictures tomorrow. i'm thinking of investing in a spongy wonder or a stelle smp so that there's nothing actually touching my genitals, because they do actually really hurt lol

unsure if it's relevant (my intense googling tells me it's not) but i do have genital piercings. when i first began cycling a few months ago i was told by people on other forums that that could cause minor discomfort as i was getting used to the new sensation of sitting on a bike, but the pain has continued. would appreciate hearing from any goons who can either confirm/deny that that information is correct

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

That geo visualization above: https://www.bike-stats.de/en/geometrie_vergleich

Or here if you want to look at geo numbers:
https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/framed-minnesota-2020/
And add the bike you have for reference.

Major caveat: you can only reliably compare flat bar to flat bar, or drop to drop.

If reach and stack are within 1cm of each other, did be ready to tweak the stem to get the same fit on each.

Nifty website, thank you

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

w4ddl3d33 posted:

unsure if it's relevant (my intense googling tells me it's not) but i do have genital piercings. when i first began cycling a few months ago i was told by people on other forums that that could cause minor discomfort as i was getting used to the new sensation of sitting on a bike, but the pain has continued. would appreciate hearing from any goons who can either confirm/deny that that information is correct

The undiscovered country.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Why did trek make the only colors for the domane al5 grey, the lower trims each got a least one decent color

Waiting until taxes are filed before I pick anything

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

w4ddl3d33 posted:

it's late as gently caress here so going outside to take a picture would be a futile effort - i'll post pictures tomorrow. i'm thinking of investing in a spongy wonder or a stelle smp so that there's nothing actually touching my genitals, because they do actually really hurt lol

There has got to be a way to adjust that saddle to a sane angle.

But trying other saddles is part of cycling too. I've got traditional saddles with no perineum cutout and both male and female (cis male here) designed perineum cutout versions and all work for me for the bike and style. Try other stuff for sure, making sure they fit the width of your ischial tuberosities. I think the OP of this thread may have a section about sitting on a piece of cardboard and finding the distance between your ischial divots to get that width.

Padded bibs/shorts helps a lot, but proper seat size, style, and adjustment is more important to solve first.

But still, even cheap rear end department store bikes have a way to adjust to a neutral seat angle, which is the first thing to hash out.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 2, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

brand engager posted:

Why did trek make the only colors for the domane al5 grey, the lower trims each got a least one decent color

The bottom one looks incredibly sick though

Apr 7, 2003

brand engager posted:

That looks so much like my Giant Contend AR that I have a hard time believing they’re not the same exact bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are the same company and made by the same taiwanese factory along with countless other brands afaik

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

They are the same company and made by the same taiwanese factory along with countless other brands afaik

No. Trek is a private American brand.

The Domane AL might be made in a Giant factory, but that would be a lucky guess.

These days there's hundreds of bike factories, most of which you've never heard of. Topkey, Quest, Keentech, Carbotec, etc. Almost all of Trek and Canyon's premium carbon bikes are made by Quest. S-Works are made by Topkey. Alloy bikes might be made by Giant, Kinesis, or someone else.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
It was about 60° F today, which is madness, so of course I did a short bike ride, about 12 miles. The local trail group finally opened up a 2.5-ish mile stretch of one of the trails that's been closed for a year, so I headed out that way to see how they did. It had been crushed limestone, which was surprisingly smooth, and now it's fully paved, and it's crazy good. Lots of improvements along that stretch have been made, including the placement of a new pre-fab bridge (with a concrete deck) that replaces an old wooden bone-rattler.

Pretty cool ride overall. The trail was very busy today because of the timing and the weather, so I'm glad I was able to get out there and do something. It's been almost two months since I could ride outside.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

No. Trek is a private American brand.

The Domane AL might be made in a Giant factory, but that would be a lucky guess.

These days there's hundreds of bike factories, most of which you've never heard of. Topkey, Quest, Keentech, Carbotec, etc. Almost all of Trek and Canyon's premium carbon bikes are made by Quest. S-Works are made by Topkey. Alloy bikes might be made by Giant, Kinesis, or someone else.

Google indicates they manufacture trek bikes but don't own the company yeah

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

w4ddl3d33 posted:

my saddle is on a fixed bracket so i can't tilt it :( thank you all for the problemshooting tho, i've lifted the saddle up a little bit so my knees don't end up crumbling, even if my weenie does

Your seatpost is backwards, the saddle is on 180 degrees the wrong way round.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

brand engager posted:

I’ve got a white Domane which looks nice but the paint chips start to stand out and it drives me crazy.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

brand engager posted:

I was looking at their Supercaliber line up the other day and the only major change they made for the 2023 models was taking away all the fun colors. Such a shame.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Google indicates they manufacture trek bikes but don't own the company yeah

Giant has other bike brands -- Momentum and Liv. But did you think there were others that were part of the Giant company?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, seems pretty common to have a bunch of brands all made in the same factory by the same company

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

hadji murad posted:

I’ve got a white Domane which looks nice but the paint chips start to stand out and it drives me crazy.

Yeah they have a nice off-white color on the al4 & a good red on the same

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Giant has other bike brands -- Momentum and Liv. But did you think there were others that were part of the Giant company?

He’s basically operating on 100th hand hearsay from 80s era knowledge where everyone thinks Giant makes 95% of all carbon bikes to this day…which is of course untrue. They also never had a stranglehold on the alloy or steel market.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This implies that most of the big brands are made in a handful of plants in Taiwan. There are several other google results claiming that giant makes trek bikes. I don't really see why it matters, I suspect it's not considered cool and premium marketing to say your bike is made in Taiwan by a plant that makes half a dozen others as well. Stupid when just about every device in your vicinity is made in Taiwan or mainland china.

This shows that at the very least they make Scott and colnago bikes to some extent, as well as bontrager wheels.

But yeah them making a frame identical to a trek one is also possible I guess?

Apr 7, 2003

The laptop industry involves a handful of very large factories that go around and tell the brands every year "these are the reference designs that we're going to manufacture this year, let us know what you want to customize" and I wouldn't be surprised if bicycles work the same way.

The Domane frame geometry looks very similar to the Contend AR with the exception of the Contend AR using a carbon fiber D-shaped post.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The various odms are a good analogy actually. Some Dells are Dell designed. Some are reference designs from Intel. Some are codeveloped by Wistron or Quanta. Some are off the shelf from Inventec with a Dell badge. Most are not built by Dell.

If you Kramered into the laptop thread and insisted Apple was actually owned by Foxconn and they were the same product, you’d get the same response as “Trek is actually Giant” is getting here. That bikes are all built in a handful of factories in Taiwan or China wouldn’t be a surprise in 1994.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

This implies that most of the big brands are made in a handful of plants in Taiwan. There are several other google results claiming that giant makes trek bikes. I don't really see why it matters, I suspect it's not considered cool and premium marketing to say your bike is made in Taiwan by a plant that makes half a dozen others as well. Stupid when just about every device in your vicinity is made in Taiwan or mainland china.

This shows that at the very least they make Scott and colnago bikes to some extent, as well as bontrager wheels.

But yeah them making a frame identical to a trek one is also possible I guess?

Giant itself operates factories in Taiwan, China, The Netherlands and Hungary. Most bikes are made in mainland China, not Taiwan.

Double triangle bicycles look the same as other double triangle bicycles. Endurance bikes have similar geometries to other endurance bikes. Bikes made out of aluminum alloy are constructed using the same techniques as other aluminum alloy bikes. Of course the Trek Domane AL looks a lot like a Contend from afar.

Like I said, Quest makes some Trek and Canyon carbon bikes. Topkey makes some Specialized bikes. Taishan makes Cervelo, Factor, Scott, Seka, etc. Tentech makes Specialized, Cervelo, Ridley, Scott. ADK makes Felt. The list goes on for miles, it's not a handful of factories, it's hundreds.

If you want detailed info, you're going to have to get better at Googling.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd have to care a lot more too lol

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

I'd have to care a lot more too lol

You seem to care a lot about perpetuating bad info.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You sure showed me though so it all worked out in the end

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You sure showed me though so it all worked out in the end

As you get more and more into the hobby, some day you might have to give the lowdown to some other person curious about getting into cycling.
At that point, it wouldn't hurt to be well informed.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

Giant itself operates factories in Taiwan, China, The Netherlands and Hungary. Most bikes are made in mainland China, not Taiwan.

How does this work since the EU at least has a huge import tax on bikes made in China (not Taiwan) to protect European brands. Or are these models that are never sold in the EU?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Havana Affair posted:

How does this work since the EU at least has a huge import tax on bikes made in China (not Taiwan) to protect European brands. Or are these models that are never sold in the EU?

From a quick scan it seems like the highest levies (>50%) are for e bikes or cheap bikes that companies are accused of just dumping in Europe at super low prices because they have government assistance in producing them. I couldn't find anything about whether bike components/frames are taxed differently to complete bikes, but could be the case.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Havana Affair posted:

If, for example, import taxes are lower on frames than complete bikes, then the frames/blanks could be sent from one Giant facility to another and painting / final assembly is conducted in not-China.

Or Chinese companies end up building facilities in Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia, etc.

Also tariffs usually just result in all brands pricing every bike higher regardless of where they are made.

Anyway, the vast majority of mass-market bikes still come from China so almost everyone is suffering the same problem. Only a few medium-large companies like Time and Look do 100% of their manufacturing elsewhere (France, Slovakia, Tunisia, etc.)

I mean, Canyon is a European brand with competitive prices right? Their high end bikes are made here: http://www.questcomposite.com/business-sport.php

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 3, 2023

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

TobinHatesYou posted:

I mean, Canyon is a European brand with competitive prices right? Their high end bikes are made here: http://www.questcomposite.com/business-sport.php

Love how the guy keeps insisting on Giant being the end-all-be-all manufacturer when it literally says on Quest's website:

quote:

Quest is a key partner to the best bike companies in the world-Trek and Canyon. From advanced research to R&D and mass production, Quest ensures the bikes are produced with the highest quality and performance standard. We are proud to be producing some of the bikes that have won the world's biggest races.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

They have a Taiwanese address listed as well so I guess that's how the bypass the tax? Like if you import eg. a Surly bike here they ship it straight from Taiwan and if it was shipped instead from China the mark up would be around 50%. There's some exceptions I can't be bothered to understand. It's kinda silly anyways since if that surly would be shipped with parts in a separate container and put together here you could call it made in EU.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Frames are boring, anyway. The competitive differentiators manufacturers try to add are always either gimmicky or soon to be adopted by everyone else.

The most interesting thing about most frames is the paint. There needs to be an affordable, mass-market way to get a custom paint job like with S-Works and such for high-end frames.

The average person will care a lot more about that than a half-degree of head tube angle or some weird seat post design that necessitates a recall. Custom bike paint for everyone! Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

marshalljim posted:

Frames are boring, anyway. The competitive differentiators manufacturers try to add are always either gimmicky or soon to be adopted by everyone else.

The most interesting thing about most frames is the paint. There needs to be an affordable, mass-market way to get a custom paint job like with S-Works and such for high-end frames.

The average person will care a lot more about that than a half-degree of head tube angle or some weird seat post design that necessitates a recall. Custom bike paint for everyone! Now.

I actually just want cheaper titanium frames. I've always ridden AL due to $$ but now I have more cash, but don't like CF because I like keeping things for a long time and I'm pretty rough on my bike (translate: i'm clumsy) so I don't know if I trust myself w a CF frame
I really want a VaMoots