Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Azran posted:

Nah they're shared, it's just that JotL missions rarely reward Prosperity (since that wasn't A Thing in JotL) so you won't be unlocking new items in the shop doing those missions (you will however get the treasure chest items, of course). It's literally just more missions but exclusively set in the city, basically.

Okay, one of the posts made it sound like it breaks the balance of the main campaign. Sounds like if I keep characters and items separate between them I should be good. Then again I am likely thinking too much about this. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It really really doesn't break anything. There are some decent items but nothing outlandishly powerful, and the missions aren't easy enough for it to be easy exp or money either. They're just... More missions.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, one of the posts made it sound like it breaks the balance of the main campaign. Sounds like if I keep characters and items separate between them I should be good. Then again I am likely thinking too much about this. Thanks!

Yeah that post sounded like it was talking about the board games. The JotL DLC is literally just more missions for the main campaign and they don't count for personal quests that specify 'base game'. That's it. Whatever characters you have can all br used there because it's just more missions, it's not a separate instance or anything, just a series of linked missions. I'd say only the very first one is easy (and it's a better intro for new players than Black Barrow imo), the others range from challenging to absolute hell in one or two cases.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It looks like there's an expansion coming out for Mechwarrior 5 at the end of the month - I'm guessing it'd be a good idea to wait til after that to mod/play?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of MW5, I got the Jumpship bundle from fanatical here (If anyone is interested. It is a real good deal compared to what it costs to get the game plus expansions even on the winter sale). I played a few missions of the campaign to get a feel for it and I think I like it. My question is that does it dovetail into Career mode like Battletech does?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Resdfru posted:

Lotta great recs for my kids, thanks everyone! Might get bugsnax and slime rancher for myself tbh

A short hike ("bird game") was a big hit for my kid.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Waffle! posted:

I kinda forgot about it for a while, but the remake of Solium Infernum is due out sometime this year! It's a resource building/political game where you and other demons try to claim the throne to Hell after Lucifer goes missing. It's being developed by the same team that did Armello, so they know their way around boards and hexes. The original game seems pretty drat impossible to find, and the creator quit to make board games instead :(

I'm really looking forward to this. SI is absolutely great as a complex and unique board game and total trash as a video game. The guy who made it is honestly a great designer, but it was clear he didn't really have the technical chops for making computer games and wasn't interested in stepping out of his comfort zone to learn. It's great that a competent developer is taking the core design and turning it into something more technically playable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

man nurse posted:

It, and 12 which is what I was actually referring to in the first place, are much less overtly anime than say X or XIII or VII Remake which is gasping and grunting all day to extremely melodramatic situations. But thanks for the input, worst poster in Games.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh your one of those grunting weirdos

FF14 is still the most anime of them all ignoring your weird hang ups
a new steam thread and already it's happening again

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
What's the best texture up-scaling pack or mod for Star Wars: Jedi Outcast?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh your one of those grunting weirdos

FF14 is still the most anime of them all ignoring your weird hang ups

it isnt. not evne close. cfrankly its in the bottom half of final fantasys for it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*yelling loudly at the cashier* excuse me does this cereal have any GMOs in it??? i'm not allergic, i just need to know if it has a lot of GMOs or if its GMO free

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i a m allergic

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

*yelling loudly at the cashier* excuse me does this cereal have any GMOs in it??? i'm not allergic, i just need to know if it has a lot of GMOs or if its GMO free

technically all bananas are GMOs

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I love GMO. Gettin' Mad Online.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The 7th Guest posted:

lol

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Gameing More Often

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ragequit posted:

I love GMO. Gettin' Mad Online.

Perfect username

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What’s a grunting weirdo

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
One of my goals this year was to work through (ie, open at least once and then abandon) games from the giant charity bundles. According to my recap I ended up having played 151 games this year, which seems sort of wild just on a per day basis? What did everyone else’s look like?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of MW5, I got the Jumpship bundle from fanatical here (If anyone is interested. It is a real good deal compared to what it costs to get the game plus expansions even on the winter sale). I played a few missions of the campaign to get a feel for it and I think I like it. My question is that does it dovetail into Career mode like Battletech does?

The campaign has parts which resemble the Career mode from the Inner Sphere DLC, they didn’t create it from scratch, but it directs you to certain areas and has a definitive end. Some of the more extensive mods don’t play as nice with the open-ended-ish parts of the campaign either.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

The campaign has parts which resemble the Career mode from the Inner Sphere DLC, they didn’t create it from scratch, but it directs you to certain areas and has a definitive end. Some of the more extensive mods don’t play as nice with the open-ended-ish parts of the campaign either.

So basically it sounds like once I feel I have a handle on things in campaign, and/or if I get sick of it, to just switch over to Career.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 3, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there is an intimidating number of bars to fill up in Nobody Saves the World

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
GMO, more like Get Me Outta here

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I grabbed https://store.steampowered.com/app/652410/Brigand_Oaxaca/ and it's kind of like Deus Ex but incredibly janky. Haven't had any crashes and you die to a stiff breeze but starting with pistol skills the game is pretty fun so far. I've at least found 4 bucks of enjoyment from it so far.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous had a very engrossing story that made me tolerate it's godawful combat the whole way through, and it gave me a new...tolerance for D&D-esque RTwP combat so I gave Pillars of Eternity another shot and I'm actually liking it quite a bit so far. It even fixed most of my core issues that I have with the lovely D&D-esque systems.

I only tried Pillars 2 before and that game has the worst intro for a newcomer, probably because it seems to be a direct continuation from the ending of the first game.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Has anyone played https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874490/Potionomics/ ?

If they have could they say if it's in any way similar to Recettear? I've been looking for another game to scratch that itch for awhile now and this looks like the closest yet but still would like some goon opinions if possible.

Otherwise I might just pick up the Spark The Electric Jester pack or somethin for this winter sale.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Has anyone played https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874490/Potionomics/ ?

If they have could they say if it's in any way similar to Recettear? I've been looking for another game to scratch that itch for awhile now and this looks like the closest yet but still would like some goon opinions if possible.

It's extremely similar to Recettear, minus the realtime combat. It's a pretty good game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And negotiating prices is a fairly simple deck builder.

The game certainly has the same kind of charm as Recettear.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Huh, the economic side of the MW5 career mode feels surprisingly tricky. My dumbass lancemates just love getting themselves cored at the first opportunity even against easy enemies. And as it turns out the engine is far and away the most expensive part of a mech, so that's a sweet million credits just to get the drat thing running again each time. :suicide:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Perestroika posted:

Huh, the economic side of the MW5 career mode feels surprisingly tricky. My dumbass lancemates just love getting themselves cored at the first opportunity even against easy enemies. And as it turns out the engine is far and away the most expensive part of a mech, so that's a sweet million credits just to get the drat thing running again each time. :suicide:

A few things to note; first of all you can always restart a mission if it looks like it's going tits up, and the game autosaves when you warp into a new system so you can always revert save if you bite off more than you can chew, but more importantly directing your squadmates around using the F1-F5 keys seems to be really important because they love to leroy jenkins straight into battle and get annihilated. On top of that there seems to be a bit of a design philosophy when putting together mechs for your AI pilots because they are dumb as gently caress and will close into their range for weapons regardless of whether it's safe to or not. There's a couple steam guides about designing mechs for squad mates and it seems to be mostly about keeping a low amount of weapon groups that all have around the same med-long range and plenty of cooling. I've been using lots of Medium lasers, stripping jump jets on them because they don't use them very well either (same with machine guns, S Lasers, anything that would make them want to get up close to fight) which leaves more room for more cooling and armor.

Also make sure you're picking missions you can meet the tonnage for, anything less usually means you'll be outmatched by bigger and better mechs. Recently I've been bringing in a Firestarter for myself to run around in and generally be a nuisance while I have my AI bots in heavier armored mechs running mostly M/L Lasers.

Edit: Added link to the guide I got most of this info from. Hopefully it's still relevant!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 3, 2023

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

A few things to note; first of all you can always restart a mission if it looks like it's going tits up, and the game autosaves when you warp into a new system so you can always revert save if you bite off more than you can chew, but more importantly directing your squadmates around using the F1-F5 keys seems to be really important because they love to leroy jenkins straight into battle and get annihilated. On top of that there seems to be a bit of a design philosophy when putting together mechs for your AI pilots because they are dumb as gently caress and will close into their range for weapons regardless of whether it's safe to or not. There's a couple steam guides about designing mechs for squad mates and it seems to be mostly about keeping a low amount of weapon groups that all have around the same med-long range and plenty of cooling. I've been using lots of Medium lasers, stripping jump jets on them because they don't use them very well either (same with machine guns, S Lasers, anything that would make them want to get up close to fight) which leaves more room for more cooling and armor.

Also make sure you're picking missions you can meet the tonnage for, anything less usually means you'll be outmatched by bigger and better mechs. Recently I've been bringing in a Firestarter for myself to run around in and generally be a nuisance while I have my AI bots in heavier armored mechs running mostly M/L Lasers.

Also if I remember right most stock mechs blow and you need to tear poo poo off of them and load every mech as close to max armor as you can, particularly in the center.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I'm really looking forward to this. SI is absolutely great as a complex and unique board game and total trash as a video game. The guy who made it is honestly a great designer, but it was clear he didn't really have the technical chops for making computer games and wasn't interested in stepping out of his comfort zone to learn. It's great that a competent developer is taking the core design and turning it into something more technically playable.

He did manage to release a finished product, which is more than can be said of something like That Which Sleeps. I have massive respect for anyone who can manage to create an actual fun videogame as a single person. There's so many aspects to a functional and fun (if flawed) game experience and being good enough at all of them to create something people enjoy playing by yourself is hard.

But yeah, a proper developer can probably take all the ideas and rebuild it better.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also if I remember right most stock mechs blow and you need to tear poo poo off of them and load every mech as close to max armor as you can, particularly in the center.

This has been true of every Mechwarrior game I've ever played. Mechs seem to be designed with completely random weapon systems, in particular. I always rip it all off and have as few different types of weapon as possible, I'm not sure how anyone manages to aim when their loadout is like, a fast rocket launcher, a machinegun, a slow rocket launcher, and a laser.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jack Trades posted:

It's extremely similar to Recettear, minus the realtime combat. It's a pretty good game.
So it's similar to 50% of Recettear?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Hitman games are getting consolidated together on January 26, so there's only one game (Hitman 3 with the Hitman 1 GOTY and Hitman 2 Standard content) and one DLC (containing the Hitman 2 and 3 expansions). If you already own Hitman 3, that means you'll be getting the Hitman 1 GOTY and Hitman 2 standard content for free if you don't own them already.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Interesting. Seems like I should buy Hitman 3 right now while on sale so I get all the Hitmans soon

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Griefor posted:

He did manage to release a finished product, which is more than can be said of something like That Which Sleeps. I have massive respect for anyone who can manage to create an actual fun videogame as a single person. There's so many aspects to a functional and fun (if flawed) game experience and being good enough at all of them to create something people enjoy playing by yourself is hard.

But yeah, a proper developer can probably take all the ideas and rebuild it better.

Oh poo poo that reminds me, wasn't there a goon game that was basically "That Which Sleeps but with a reasonable scope" and it actually released? I can't remember the name of it but I remember being really interested in it

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Kins posted:

The Hitman games are getting consolidated together on January 26, so there's only one game (Hitman 3 with the Hitman 1 GOTY and Hitman 2 Standard content) and one DLC (containing the Hitman 2 and 3 expansions). If you already own Hitman 3, that means you'll be getting the Hitman 1 GOTY and Hitman 2 standard content for free if you don't own them already.

This is extremely smart of them, because otherwise it’s a nightmare trying to piece together what you need to buy or own to have “everything” inside of the Hitman 3 framework. They function as one big game as is.

Fantastic game, and a hell of a value with how much content has been put into it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When's that roguelike mode coming out? Is that coinciding with the consolidation on the 26th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

explosivo posted:

When's that roguelike mode coming out? Is that coinciding with the consolidation on the 26th?

Yeah, Freelancer is out at the end of the month