Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Field trip! Field trip! Field trip! Field trip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

lollontee posted:

where on earth, and how is this poo poo produced anyway?

have you never driven through louisiana?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unless posted:

have you never driven through louisiana?

it's loving british, of course the cancer shampoo is fookin british. they swear they changed the recipe tho

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

it's 2023 already, and we're still not bending the extinction curve. The only path for real change left to us is [REDACTED]

But I am not a young man anymore, and I have a wife and children. I leave it to younger/braver people to do the needful

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

FFT posted:

it's super easy to do a basic search for soaps and shampoos that have or had formaldehyde in them

it's a Thing

and it's weird that this is news in this thread
Oh gently caress it's in vape(I'm not a degenerate but I am shocked people are pumping hot cancer gas right into their lungs)

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Pidgin Englishman posted:

But where does it say it's in soap or shampoo??

I made it for a few years and the amount of processed palm oil products is absolutely disgusting. Tonnes and tonnes of shipping processed oil products and wasting poor countries to subside the costs. The big hang ups were the preservatives, like parabens, but evidence was mixed. Most companies now go for vitamin E and a wide variety of novel poisons that no-one has had time to work up anger over.

Appears to be "DMDM hydantoin" which is a preservative that breaks down into formaldehyde.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

FistEnergy posted:

it's 2023 already, and we're still not bending the extinction curve. The only path for real change left to us is [REDACTED]

But I am not a young man anymore, and I have a wife and children. I leave it to younger/braver people to do the needful

Hell I've met older childless single dudes who are like "you may be right, but I gotta look out for me. If [disruption] happens I could lose my retirement!"

I guess we're all hostages of this in a way, but drat I'd really prefer to hear people be a little less openly selfish. Especially if they go with the "well you drive a car / buy literally anything/ have access to first world material comforts you know, what are YOU doing?!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BRJurgis posted:

Hell I've met older childless single dudes who are like "you may be right, but I gotta look out for me. If [disruption] happens I could lose my retirement!"

I guess we're all hostages of this in a way, but drat I'd really prefer to hear people be a little less openly selfish. Especially if they go with the "well you drive a car / buy literally anything/ have access to first world material comforts you know, what are YOU doing?!"

Individuals shouldn’t be accosted for being selfish when the government doesn’t care about the factory down the road dumping more co2 in the air in a week hour than a single person could in a year.

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Jan 2, 2023

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Individuals shouldn’t be accosted for being selfish when the government doesn’t care about the factory down the road dumping more co2 in the air in a week than a single person could in a year.

*hour

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:hmmyes:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OK doomer

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Individuals shouldn’t be accosted for being selfish when the government doesn’t care about the factory down the road dumping more co2 in the air in a week hour than a single person could in a year.

Think you misread my post. This isn't a person who wants the government to disrupt the economy by enacting climate preservation measures for real (it would hurt the markets / weaken the US you see)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
60 Minutes really knows how to start 2023 off with a bang.

Earth currently experiencing a sixth mass extinction, according to scientists | 60 Minutes

How agriculture hastens species extinction | 60 Minutes Overtime

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this being the 6th mass extinction means it's perfectly normal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Things happen six times all the time

Idiot

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

phew, at least we're not in the 7th

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AceClown posted:

phew, at least we're not in the 7th

We’re doing our best to prevent a 7th mass extinction tyvm!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

the only path left is to save yourself

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

We’re doing our best to prevent a 7th mass extinction tyvm!

working hard!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Nudging people toward appreciation of nature and disgust with the world we've built and are responsible for, with some levity to offset the self loathing. It's like carbon credits I reckon.

But unironically.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Over the last year I've been watching a lot of these "Deadliest Roads" videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLgqOez346ZN1NODJrl7Z3ApTvf11Czyy. The level of hardship and exploitation shown in them is truly staggering to me, but it makes me think about how far western nations are bound to fall when government services stop existing and it's everyone for themselves.

I'd suggest you check out some of the african nation episodes for some eye opening scenarios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ7xGYBI6PQ

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BRJurgis posted:

in australia, the priorities of just about every retiree i know has abruptly switched from "travel the world and build myself a stupid tiny castle" to "avoid residential care at all costs". it's a coup for capitalism, because care is a financial black hole where there's always a more expensive, better option and terrified old people will pour everything they own into it until they die.

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Jan 3, 2023

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/PCarterClimate/status/1609825922970185733?t=WPoZFNHImuFXHkjXBqlVeg&s=19

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

dry beans are almost $3/pound now, how the freaking frick are methane levels still rising? what more do they want to take from us?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

lollontee posted:

where on earth, and how is this poo poo produced anyway?

It's mostly made to support steel manufacturing, so it's a huge industry with most countries producing it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what’s going on in Sweden? https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/1610093601073020929

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

sweden sucks

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

my great-great-grandfather was swedish/finnish and when the temperature got above like 30c he would go insane and fire his shotgun into the ceiling while his family cowered under the furniture, i think it's an indication of how gracefully they will cope with climate change

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

in australia, the priorities of just about every retiree i know has abruptly switched from "travel the world and build myself a stupid tiny castle" to "avoid residential care at all costs". it's a coup for capitalism, because care is a financial black hole where there's always a more expensive, better option and terrified old people will pour everything they own into it until they die.

I totally agree and have older parents saying stuff like "why go to the doctor to find out I have something I can't afford to deal with it costs money to even talk about it" and also feel the same as my local doctor became part lf a big health company and then retired (he was super old though).

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

Ursula von der Leyens pony was killed by a wolf
https://europediplomatic.com/2022/09/02/wolf-attacked-ursula-vd-leyens-pony/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Are they sure it was a wolf and not a wolf-looking dog?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ah, that explains it.

a strange fowl posted:

my great-great-grandfather was swedish/finnish and when the temperature got above like 30c he would go insane and fire his shotgun into the ceiling while his family cowered under the furniture, i think it's an indication of how gracefully they will cope with climate change

it's a normal way to relieve climate stress, eh?

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
We have a wierd relationship with wolves here. Everyone in the cities loves em, people countryside hates em. Probably since they are competition for hunters and people who hold cattle

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

We can see the cliff and we're still accelerating towards it faster and faster. Everything is so ridiculous about living in the world right now. Atleast we're not burning to death... yet!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

no way lmao

she’s so loving gross. the new aristocracy smells just like the old regime.

quote:

She was born and raised in Brussels to German parents. Her father, Ernst Albrecht, was one of the first European civil servants. She was brought up bilingually in German and French. She moved to the Hanover Region in 1971 when her father entered politics to become minister-president of the state of Lower Saxony in 1976. As an economics student at the London School of Economics in the late 1970s, she lived under the name Rose Ladson, the family name of her American great-grandmother from Charleston, South Carolina. After graduating as a physician from the Hannover Medical School in 1987, she specialized in women's health. In 1986 she married fellow physician Heiko von der Leyen of the von der Leyen family of silk merchants. As a mother of seven children, she was a housewife during parts of the 1990s and lived for four years in Stanford, California, while her husband was on the faculty at Stanford University, returning to Germany in 1996.

Most of her ancestors were from the former states of Hanover and Bremen in today's northwestern Germany; she has one American great-grandmother of primarily British descent, with more distant French and Italian ancestors, and some ancestors from what are now the Baltic states, then in Imperial Russia. The Albrecht family was among the hübsche ("courtly" or "genteel") families of the Electorate and Kingdom of Hanover—a state that was in a personal union with the United Kingdom—and her ancestors had been doctors, jurists and civil servants since the 17th century. Her great-great-grandfather George Alexander Albrecht moved to Bremen in the 19th century, where he became a wealthy cotton merchant, part of the Hanseatic elite and the Austro-Hungarian Consul from 1895. He married Baroness Louise Dorothea Betty von Knoop (1844–1889), a daughter of Baron Johann Ludwig von Knoop, one of the most successful entrepreneurs of the 19th century Russian Empire.[14]

Von der Leyen's father's grandparents were the cotton merchant Carl Albrecht (1875–1952) and Mary Ladson Robertson (1883–1960), an American who descended from a planter family in Charleston, South Carolina. Her American ancestors played a significant role in the British colonization of the Americas, and she descends from many of the first English settlers of Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Barbados, and from numerous colonial governors. Among her ancestors were Carolina governors John Yeamans, James Moore, Robert Gibbes, Thomas Smith and Joseph Blake, Pennsylvania deputy governor Samuel Carpenter, and the American revolutionary and lieutenant governor of South Carolina James Ladson.[15][16][17] The Ladson family were large plantation owners and her ancestor James H. Ladson owned over 200 slaves by the time slavery in the United States was abolished; her relatives and ancestors were among the wealthiest in British North America in the 18th century, and she descends from one of the largest slave traders in the Thirteen Colonies, Joseph Wragg. Carl and Mary were the parents of Ursula von der Leyen's grandfather, the psychologist Carl Albrecht, who was known for developing a new method of meditation and for his research on mystical consciousness.[18] She is the niece of the conductor George Alexander Albrecht and a first cousin of the chief conductor of the Dutch National Opera Marc Albrecht.[19]

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Jan 3, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

75 wolf lives for one pony, seems just

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
Can someone confirm/ deny my interpretation of that 60 minutes overtime segment:
Absolute biodiversity loss, compared to 1970 levels, increased from 64% to 68% over two years.
Could this be restated as an absolute reduction of biodiversity by 1/9th over 2 years (36% remaining » 32%)?

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
Because :ohdear: if so.
Hopefully it was the bad kind of biodiversity.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's the bad kind of biodiversity? All those ancient diseases melting out of the permafrost? :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

OIL PANIC posted:

Can someone confirm/ deny my interpretation of that 60 minutes overtime segment:
Absolute biodiversity loss, compared to 1970 levels, increased from 64% to 68% over two years.
Could this be restated as an absolute reduction of biodiversity by 1/9th over 2 years (36% remaining » 32%)?

I'd say so and yikes