Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Most likely, seeing as the paperback originally came out in October.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/09/titans-clash-on-terra-as-mortis-arrives-for-pre-order-in-paperback/

So eithers a smaller edition or it's a reprint.
Or they just did a goof. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Fulgrim is delightful. There's more smut in this book than all the rest of the black library put together.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you didnt read any of ian watsons stuff did you

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Oh, no haven't gotten around to that yet.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
try not to

somehow this is the guy who worked w spielberg and had serious screenwriting creds lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
watson and abnett are the two oxonians (because oxford is so fuckin old that the demonym for peeps who went to oxford is an irregularity imported from church latin) in bl and boy they are different

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Watson and Abnett collab book when?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I have heard that you should read Watson if you want some real weird poo poo, but also his books look like they're straight out of the dumbest era of Star Wars extended universe stuff.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Black Griffon posted:

I have heard that you should read Watson if you want some real weird poo poo, but also his books look like they're straight out of the dumbest era of Star Wars extended universe stuff.

That's being very kind. The stories are loving dumb as poo poo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Black Griffon posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

e;

S.J. posted:

That's being very kind. The stories are loving dumb as poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

e;

Dumb 40k is and can be very good and a thing that I enjoy. There is no joy to be had in his stories except to laugh at how awful they are. Which if that's good enough for you, then by all means.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I mean it will have to compete with such things as the impostor of the three eyed son of Palpatine getting laser blasted by a robot Leia bride and so on, but I do believe stupidity is an infinite scale.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
luuke
luuuke
luuuuuuke

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What are you nerds talking about Watson loving rules.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

D-Pad posted:

What are you nerds talking about Watson loving rules.

Pretend I posted the paragraph that displays the excitement of the Imperial Fists as they realized what part of the Tyranid ship they were about to board.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Wasn't Ian Watson tasked with literally inventing Wh40K fiction? I think Draco is like actually the first novel in the setting ever. I can't really begrudge him too much for being wild with the setting when all he had to work with was a janky Space Judge Dredd where Space Marines were emaciated crackheads who primarily used their advanced weaponry to execute unarmed and unarmored civilians.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

S.J. posted:

Dumb 40k is and can be very good and a thing that I enjoy. There is no joy to be had in his stories except to laugh at how awful they are. Which if that's good enough for you, then by all means.

SPACE MARINE owns, sorry :colbert:

Zil posted:

Pretend I posted the paragraph that displays the excitement of the Imperial Fists as they realized what part of the Tyranid ship they were about to board.

You mean when the low-born gang scum turned roided up Scout all hopped up on gene juice laughs about going in through the butt? Because again, owns, and not even the weirdest bit of the book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

SPACE MARINE owns, sorry :colbert:

You mean when the low-born gang scum turned roided up Scout all hopped up on gene juice laughs about going in through the butt? Because again, owns, and not even the weirdest bit of the book.

Wait I read a short story with some Scythes of the Emperor and this exact thing happens. Clearly someone wanted to pay homage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Everyone remembers the weird bits of SPACE MARINE but this has always been one of my favourite parts. The three main characters - a Spire-born brat, a Midspire worker, and an Underhive ganger have all been selected for recruitement into the Imperial Fists. After a set of physical, psychological, and psychic assessments, they're all asked one simple question.

Space Marine by Ian Watson posted:

“Lexandro d’Arquebus,” demanded the possessor of that extraordinary physique, “what is the name of the Emperor?”
“I d-don’t know, sir,” Lexandro stuttered; and for once the title of Sir came sincerely to his lips. He gritted his teeth, angry at his tongue for having tripped him. He had never stuttered before, neither during his humiliating initiation into the Lordly Phantasms, nor on any subsequent hazardous escapade with them. Nor even when the d’Arquebus family was demoted. However, this was different. Goose bumps pocked his bare flesh. He felt genuine awe at this superhuman man, at once so puissant, so self-possessed, so monomaniac in his demeanour.
How could he answer? Surely no one knew the name of the distant, immortal Lord of Mankind – in whom Lexandro had only ever felt the most casual interest since his early catechisms.
“Awesome is His name, sir,” he suggested, and the giant almost smiled.
“So I am your Emperor here, it seems. True enough. In His name I can crush you – or increase you. Think carefully: would you become a Space Marine in His service?”

“Yeremi Valence,” said the Marine, “what is the name of the Emperor?”
“Of the Godfather of All?” whispered Yeremi, haunted by the memory of Yakobi being forced towards the heat-sink.
“Willpower: the Godfather’s name is that. Willpower supreme.”
“A good answer to a question that has no simple answer. A reverent answer. A forceful answer.”
“Why, then, Sir, is it His will that we in our hive are beset by so many enemies within? Above and below. Why does Will not breed stronger Law?”
The Marine regarded Yeremi with increasing interest. “For thus, Yeremi Valence, is the condition of the galaxy itself. As above, so below! Enemies fester everywhere. Foes and traitors. The miracle is that His will prevails generally across a million worlds. And it shall prevail, indomitably! Through death, through blood. That is the only universal law.”
Yeremi thought of the remote Lord Helmawr plucking the strands of the web of Necromunda. The Imperial Governor could only ever heed truly weighty wasps that sought to tear that web apart – not the myriad mites that bit one another.
In the Godly mind of the Emperor whole worlds might well be mere mites… A yawning, awesome, black perspective opened within Yeremi’s soul.
“Would you yield yourself to Him utterly Yeremi Valence, to help impose His will?” asked the Marine.

“Biff Tundrish,” said the huge man in yellow and blue.
However, he continued by using swank-words that Biff couldn’t comprend at all. Biff shook his head, rattling his beads, and answered in scumlingo,
slowly, to show that he couldn’t savvy.
The giant nodded. Presently a trooper appeared and translated, after a fashion, glaring hostilely at Biff. “Bigman says: you give him namenz of the Emp.”
Biff puzzled his brains. He thunk fast. The Emp was the Emp, natch. Techs worshipped the Emp. Even scum swore by the Emp. On occasion; mostly they jus’ swore. The Emp was mega-bossgod. Yet who was the Emp? Where was the Emp?
Everywhere. Nowhere.
Somewhere.
Not here.
Not in Trazior.
So maybe nowhere near.
Maybe the Emp was further away than Biff could imagine.
And even more mega. What was the most mega thing Biff knew? He stared the giant in the eye, and said boldly:
“Emp’s namenz is Bigger-Than-You. Emp’s namenz is Death.”
The giant seemed to understand even before the trooper turned Biff’s utterance into swank-words. He smiled faintly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Everyone remembers the weird bits of SPACE MARINE but this has always been one of my favourite parts. The three main characters - a Spire-born brat, a Midspire worker, and an Underhive ganger have all been selected for recruitement into the Imperial Fists. After a set of physical, psychological, and psychic assessments, they're all asked one simple question.

Hm, yes. This fuckin rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah see that's objectively great and does a whole lot of worldbuilding via implications.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The first Inquisitor War book is pretty okay, very purple prose-y but still a pretty entertaining read as early 40k fiction.

Then the second and third books are less interesting and morphs over to "Jaq Draco's girlfriend took his virginity before she died and now he wants her back" and get very muddled and unfocused. Not to mention the fact the series just kinda ends as well without much resolution.
Some neat stuff in them here and there, like a namedrop of Biff from Space Marine and some scenes, but as a whole the series get worse past book 1.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Flytrap posted:

Wasn't Ian Watson tasked with literally inventing Wh40K fiction? I think Draco is like actually the first novel in the setting ever. I can't really begrudge him too much for being wild with the setting when all he had to work with was a janky Space Judge Dredd where Space Marines were emaciated crackheads who primarily used their advanced weaponry to execute unarmed and unarmored civilians.

Yeah he gave an interview about being the first GW writer back in 2017 and you really can't judge him by modern BL standards:

https://www.ianwatson.info/a-sequel-to-the-inquisition-war/

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I feel the ol' Watson books et al capture the "hosed up gothic future " from all the earliest artwork the best.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

The first Inquisitor War book is pretty okay, very purple prose-y but still a pretty entertaining read as early 40k fiction.

Then the second and third books are less interesting and morphs over to "Jaq Draco's girlfriend took his virginity before she died and now he wants her back" and get very muddled and unfocused. Not to mention the fact the series just kinda ends as well without much resolution.
Some neat stuff in them here and there, like a namedrop of Biff from Space Marine and some scenes, but as a whole the series get worse past book 1.

I love how hosed up and weird they are, but you are correct that they get more focused on character drama and drag on at the end.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Pray Him on Terra protect me. I am committed to completing the whole series and I have just hit play on Descent of Angels.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

Pray Him on Terra protect me. I am committed to completing the whole series and I have just hit play on Descent of Angels.

It's been the short story collections that are alowly me down, but descent of angels is, appropriately, quite an early low

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

There's one person in here who thinks it's just the best book ever (I won't name them but it's obvious from searching the title) and I will let that carry me. If anything, audiobooks are just as much a way to still my ADHD as a way to actually absorb things, so I can just let it play.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Is Descent the mostly 'on Caliban pre-Emperor' book? If so I liked it fine. It just doesn't matter, but as a glimpse into a feudal world with WWI level tech I thought it was neat.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah it’s mediocre at worst imo, the much worse early offenders are nemesis and battle for the abyss.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Since we're talking about reading the Horus Heresy, thank you to those who replied to me earlier and suggested not skipping Slaves to Darkness, Wolfsbane, and Titandeath. I took a short break and then came back to these and enjoyed all three. I think I just needed the break.

Incidentally, also related to somewhat recent chat, Guy Haley's afterword in Titandeath directly addressed his reputation as the last minute, get it done guy at BL, which was fun to read directly from him.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

To clarify, I don't think Watson was a bad writer, just that the stories were dumb. But it's also been a long time since I've read anything he did! They're certainly no worse than the rest of what Black Library has put out.

Black Griffon posted:

Please just read a summary. Please. I read Descent of Angels and literally stopped re-reading the Horus Heresy afterwards and still haven't quite recovered.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

nemesis and battle for the abyss are both terrible books, as is descent of angels. at that level of quality you can’t really compare them; they’re all just awful in their own way.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

nemesis and battle for the abyss are both terrible books, as is descent of angels. at that level of quality you can’t really compare them; they’re all just awful in their own way.

I am actually trying to read Battle for the Abyss right now and yeah it's not great

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Descent of Angels is perfectly middling to competent fan fiction. I presume the author won a prize and was allowed to move their work from AO3 to a black library novel.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Which is the one where Corax Goes To Terra? Easily the worst heresy book by far.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKC5fxhIZo

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ok this does actually fuckin rule

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I would love an audiobook version of Space Marine read by Toby Longworth or Jonathon Keeble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I would like the whole thing to be read by the guy who does the russian ogryn in Darktide.