Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I hope the Elden Ring post in this thread's GOTY countdown gets hijacked mid-sentence by weird rambling about Bill Clinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Feldegast42 posted:

I think all the games should be #1 because we all had a good time with them

Maybe the real thread was the friends we made along the way :unsmith:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guys i still don't know where the options menu is to turn on embeds!! i am serious!!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

guys i still don't know where the options menu is to turn on embeds!! i am serious!!

Edit Options > scroll down to Thread View Options > Show video embeds with [video] tag? option set to yes/no.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

A Bystander posted:

Edit Options > scroll down to Thread View Options > Show video embeds with [video] tag? option set to yes/no.

i don't see Edit Options anywhere....... :negative:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

i don't see Edit Options anywhere....... :negative:

Between Private Messages and Forum Rules up top and down below.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

A Bystander posted:

Between Private Messages and Forum Rules up top and down below.

okay this took me a minute and it is slightly embarrassing but i actually adblocked a bunch of things at the top and bottom so that "User Control Panel" stays in the middle where i am used to it being lol

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

okay this took me a minute and it is slightly embarrassing but i actually adblocked a bunch of things at the top and bottom so that "User Control Panel" stays in the middle where i am used to it being lol

Nah, it's understandable. I should've also said that from the User Control Panel page, it should be there between Edit Profile and Change Password unless the adblockin' also got that too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haram to adblock the catte and doge pictures imo

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqaTdggRPE8&t=152s

elden ring's ost was disappointing, i loved the main theme but i listened to it probably hundreds of times before the game came out, but i was surprised by how much i enjoyed the more low key atmospheric tracks that arent boss themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVjVMoySj1c

also this is one of the cooler boss themes imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEQYUKyse8Y

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Item Getter posted:

I hope the Elden Ring post in this thread's GOTY countdown gets hijacked mid-sentence by weird rambling about Bill Clinton how the entire Japanese video game industry is secretly run by one trans person breadcrumbing their existence across decades of games

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Isn't it obvious though, both Dark Souls and Final Fantasy 1 have a lich and a big dragon in them so of course they're related. Never mind D&D and every other fantasy RPG

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I ain't played a single Soulsborne game but goddamn if all the praise I'm seeing for Elden Ring here hasn't put it on my radar.

Stupid question, how's it run on the Deck? I'm guessing badly...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Silver Falcon posted:

I ain't played a single Soulsborne game but goddamn if all the praise I'm seeing for Elden Ring here hasn't put it on my radar.

Stupid question, how's it run on the Deck? I'm guessing badly...

Runs great, actually. You won't get much battery life though, play it plugged in IMO.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It runs great on the Deck. It was one of the best ways to play it at launch before it got more optimised

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Welp. I guess there goes my last excuse I had to not play it, having recently acquired a Deck. As I said in my list, I hate being tethered to my desk to play a game. Ya'll have definitely put it on my list. Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Stux said it once in this thread but Elden Ring is simultaneously the hardest and easiest of the Soulsborne games. It's the hardest if you go at it pure melee, no spells or super-fancy weapon skills, no spirits, just you and a weapon learning enemy patterns and dodging. It's certainly very beatable that way, but it's definitely really tough. But it also gives you by far the widest variety of options to make situations easier, from both main types of magic being really strong, to spirit summons making bosses much more manageable, to the ability to just go somewhere else when something's too hard.

It's probably the best possible starting point for someone who's been worried about the series's reputation for difficulty, because the difficulty is so dynamic and the world so open and full of ways to make yourself more powerful.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Harrow posted:

I think Stux said it once in this thread but Elden Ring is simultaneously the hardest and easiest of the Soulsborne games. It's the hardest if you go at it pure melee, no spells or super-fancy weapon skills, no spirits, just you and a weapon learning enemy patterns and dodging. It's certainly very beatable that way, but it's definitely really tough. But it also gives you by far the widest variety of options to make situations easier, from both main types of magic being really strong, to spirit summons making bosses much more manageable, to the ability to just go somewhere else when something's too hard.

It's probably the best possible starting point for someone who's been worried about the series's reputation for difficulty, because the difficulty is so dynamic and the world so open and full of ways to make yourself more powerful.

This is entirely accurate. My glass cannon Bloodborne builds were entirely non-viable :negative:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, and most of the main bosses have respawns basically directly outside their fog doors, which takes a lot of the tedium and frustration out of doing multiple runs of a boss.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's a good game (just IMO)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

As somebody who was put off by the difficulty of the other games I adore Elden Ring because it gave me the exact Soulsborne experience I wanted.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was thinking about buying Encased since it was on a few lists. It's part of this month's Humble Choice if people were also thinking about it!

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was thinking about buying Encased since it was on a few lists. It's part of this month's Humble Choice if people were also thinking about it!

:hmmyes:

It's also only $6 on steam right now.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well I can already say that Cyberpunk 2077 is gonna be on my list for next thread. :v: The constant post-launch support has really done a lot for the game. It's sucking my life away.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
Put me on the list of people who are going to try out Elden Ring because of this thread. Usually I force myself to start from the beginning of a series and I tried DS1 remastered on Switch for a few hours before getting too annoyed with running all the way back to a boss after dying. It sounds like a fair number of people started with Elden Ring and that inspired them to work through the back catalog, so maybe that will work with me.

As a side note I’ve worked out a rough order for big games in the first half of 2023 and it’s looking stacked (all first plays for me):
Last of Us Part 1
Fire Emblem Engage
Elden Ring
Persona 5 Royal
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

With Citizen Sleeper, Outer Wilds, Return to Monkey Island sprinkled in :getin:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

coiol posted:

Put me on the list of people who are going to try out Elden Ring because of this thread. Usually I force myself to start from the beginning of a series and I tried DS1 remastered on Switch for a few hours before getting too annoyed with running all the way back to a boss after dying. It sounds like a fair number of people started with Elden Ring and that inspired them to work through the back catalog, so maybe that will work with me.

As a side note I’ve worked out a rough order for big games in the first half of 2023 and it’s looking stacked (all first plays for me):
Last of Us Part 1
Fire Emblem Engage
Elden Ring
Persona 5 Royal
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

With Citizen Sleeper, Outer Wilds, Return to Monkey Island sprinkled in :getin:

Hell yeah return to monkey Island rules

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A lot of Elden Ring's music isn't especially memorable, it's true. If I was asked to name music I remembered from it casually it would basically just be the main theme, the endboss theme, Ancestor Spirit, and the start of the Caelid violins. As noted above it does have good ambient stuff going on as you explore.

AND TIBIA MARINER AND HIS FAUX SHANTY THEME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPJPJxZUFoE

I think this theme gets used for some other undead-related bosses (Deathbirds?) but it's most memorable when you run into these boat goofs

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10SYx9KU1YM&t=179s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Those poor boat dudes just want to tootle about on their boats and this rear end in a top hat keeps coming along and loving their poo poo up.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
my favorite track from the elden ring soundtrack was the garfield and friends theme song

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Neon white soundtrack has a lot of bangers, it reminds me of a lot of stuff, but it’s like persona 5 and danganronpa on ecstasy/made much more quickly, which is also pretty accurate for the overall look of the game as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcbcLwf6HP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW3KnzQHYmU

Also i didn’t play Bayonetta 3, but I heard this track in some YouTube video and it’s so good, I also thought it sounded like it could be in danganronpa before I found out what it was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz66RevLdSc

imhotep fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 4, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea what its name is but I love the track that plays in Violet’s sidequests

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

haveblue posted:

I have no idea what its name is but I love the track that plays in Violet’s sidequests

It's called Rigged Game. Violet's angry growl at 2:07 always made me jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVfiWU5oAck

One of Violet's sidequests also lead to one of my favourite jokes at the player's expense from this year that wasn't Elden Ring trap design:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played guilty gear and elden ring and tactics ogre reborn tonight. Thats my top three games of the day for jan 3rd 2023 in ascending order

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Real hurthling! posted:

I played guilty gear and elden ring and tactics ogre reborn tonight. Thats my top three games of the day for jan 3rd 2023 in ascending order

I played Celeste, I guess I've got to detransition though because I didn't like it very much at all.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

haveblue posted:

isn't it that second one i posted? it's calledbloody sneakers (violet's theme)

edit oh nvm, beaten. i dont know when bloody sneakers plays, i think during certain dialogue with her?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Celeste owns.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Celeste does own.

I am still playing Grapple Dog. So satisfying when you get the angle just right and go soaring through a stage

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I am finally getting around to SOLAR ASH. I was very excited for this because HYPER LIGHT DRIFTER is one of my all-time favorite games, just incredible aesthetic and solid gameplay. This is very different, and I have to admit I'm disappointed there are next to no RPG elements, but it's still good. I'd say it's the first good 3D Sonic the Hedgehog game.

e: oops, this is not the chat thread. why are there like 10 stickied threads lol.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Muscle Tracer posted:

I am finally getting around to SOLAR ASH. I was very excited for this because HYPER LIGHT DRIFTER is one of my all-time favorite games, just incredible aesthetic and solid gameplay. This is very different, and I have to admit I'm disappointed there are next to no RPG elements, but it's still good. I'd say it's the first good 3D Sonic the Hedgehog game.

I liked the first couple worlds but turns out rollerskating and platforming start to not jibe so good the more advanced you make the platforming