Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

if you want to see the cryptocurrency float timestamp is 16:10 if it doesnt jump there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW8cCMM_2FM&t=970s

how did this get into the rose parade.

Actually your link jumps in to that noun garbage but I couldn't help but notice how little anyone gave a poo poo or appeared to have any enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah FF14 is like the inverse WOW in that over time it’s just gained popularity and has improved over time after being utter poo poo at launch

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Actually your link jumps in to that noun garbage but I couldn't help but notice how little anyone gave a poo poo or appeared to have any enthusiasm.

You can hear in her voice that the news lady wanted to turn to someone and say "what the gently caress am I reading lol".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

i'm gonna do it

i'm gonna say shitcoin

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

shitcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Dabir posted:

shitcoin

hmm, it's a bit inelegant and crass, is there another phrase? maybe something more like...bumcoin? no that's not right

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Boxturret posted:

hmm, it's a bit inelegant and crass, is there another phrase? maybe something more like...bumcoin? no that's not right

Probably burncoin

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
arsecoin

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Burpcoin

‘cause aye ‘ate ‘em!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Naoki Yoshida, producer of FF14, straight up said that FF14 will never have NFTs. I don't know his exact position in the SE org chart, but I know he has enough clout to make that stick. And even without that, "I am the guy who's footing the bills for all your expensive fuckups" should carry some weight on its own.

As for selling off those studios, while I think that "we're not even sure what to do with these guys, maybe we should sell them to someone else" is a perfectly rational business decision. It's just that the whole "and then they invested in the most hated thing in games just as the bottom fell out of the market" that makes everyone go :cripes: at it.

But at this point, I think that "we sold those studios to get money to invest into crypto" and "we sold those studios, and in an unrelated move, decided to get into crypto" is a distinction without difference. They sold off those studios and properties they weren't sure what to do with (details I don't know determine if this was a good or bad move), and also they decided to go big on blockchain (catastrophic stupidity to the point that a whole lot of people need to be fired).

"We sold beloved IPs cheap to blow it on Mega Millions scratchersblockchain" is shorter and funnier, though, so that's how it tends to get phrased. :v:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

It is possible that "Final Fantasy 14" could be made more fun if it were to incorporate blockchain technology in some way, but it is important to note that the use of blockchain technology does not automatically make a game more enjoyable.

That being said, there are several potential benefits that the use of blockchain technology could bring to "Final Fantasy 14" or any other game. For example, the use of blockchain technology could potentially enable players to own and trade in-game items as non-fungible tokens (NFTs). This could give players greater control and ownership over their in-game assets, and it could also create new opportunities for players to engage in trade and commerce within the game.

Another potential benefit of using blockchain technology in "Final Fantasy 14" is increased security and transparency. The use of blockchain could potentially make it more difficult for players to cheat or engage in fraudulent activity, as all in-game transactions would be recorded on the blockchain and could be audited.

Ultimately, whether or not the use of blockchain technology would make "Final Fantasy 14" more fun would depend on how it was implemented and how it impacted the overall gameplay experience. It is important for developers to carefully consider how the use of blockchain technology could enhance the game, rather than simply adding it as a gimmick.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Source your quotes.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

Source your quotes.

Reads like an AI

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I understand why you might think that my support for adding NFT sales to Final Fantasy 14 indicates that I am an AI, but that is not the case. NFTs, or non-fungible tokens, are a type of digital asset that represents ownership of a unique item or piece of content, and I believe that adding NFT sales to the game would provide players with additional ways to engage with and customize their in-game experience.

I am a human player of Final Fantasy 14, and like many other players, I have a passion for the game and its community. My support for adding NFT sales to the game is based on my personal interests and opinions, and is not a reflection of my being an AI. I hope this clears up any confusion and helps to better understand my perspective on the matter.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never really understood the rise of the desire to own game assets in a meaningful sense. Another bitcoin solution looking for a problem perhaps?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

remember when people asked the brain geniuses how to do inter-game nfts and they were like, if you like this gun from game 1 you can use it in every other games as well because you own the nft, disregarding every philosophy against video game design and programming

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Ultimately, whether or not the use of blockchain technology would make "Final Fantasy 14" more fun would depend on how it was implemented and how it impacted the overall gameplay experience.

I realize that some people who “play to have fun” and who currently form the majority of players have voiced their reservations toward these new trends. However,

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Stupid problem, simple solution. Just charge NFT corkage fees.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

The Saddest Rhino posted:

remember when people asked the brain geniuses how to do inter-game nfts and they were like, if you like this gun from game 1 you can use it in every other games as well because you own the nft, disregarding every philosophy against video game design and programming

i demand to be able to use the bfg9000 in tetris! anything less is impeding my rights as a gamer

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

EoinCannon posted:

Reads like an AI

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

if you want to see the cryptocurrency float timestamp is 16:10 if it doesnt jump there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW8cCMM_2FM&t=970s

how did this get into the rose parade.

:lol: the ugly pixel art figures on the float are an accurate representation of the crap art they're shilling.
https://opensea.io/collection/nouns

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I think 2023 is going to be the year were the music stopped for many, because a lot of people over leverage in the last 10 years +, especially in 2020 and 2021, and it's time to reap what they sowed.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Flowers for QAnon posted:

It is possible that "Final Fantasy 14" could be made more fun if it were to incorporate blockchain technology in some way, but it is important to note that the use of blockchain technology does not automatically make a game more enjoyable.

That being said, there are several potential benefits that the use of blockchain technology could bring to "Final Fantasy 14" or any other game. For example, the use of blockchain technology could potentially enable players to own and trade in-game items as non-fungible tokens (NFTs). This could give players greater control and ownership over their in-game assets, and it could also create new opportunities for players to engage in trade and commerce within the game.

Another potential benefit of using blockchain technology in "Final Fantasy 14" is increased security and transparency. The use of blockchain could potentially make it more difficult for players to cheat or engage in fraudulent activity, as all in-game transactions would be recorded on the blockchain and could be audited.

Ultimately, whether or not the use of blockchain technology would make "Final Fantasy 14" more fun would depend on how it was implemented and how it impacted the overall gameplay experience. It is important for developers to carefully consider how the use of blockchain technology could enhance the game, rather than simply adding it as a gimmick.

The use of cooking utensil based controllers could potentially make the game more fun, but without evidence or a rationale behind that assertion, it's a pretty useless statement.

All blockchain does it distributed bookkeeping. On a game where the servers are centrally run and managed, I don't see what advantage NFTs would have over garden-variety microtransactions for "limited-edition" skins or whatever other garbage.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

SettingSun posted:

I never really understood the rise of the desire to own game assets in a meaningful sense. Another bitcoin solution looking for a problem perhaps?

It's all just hustle and grindset weirdos who have a panic attack if they do a thing that can't somehow earn them (purely theoretical) money, because they've made get rich quick schemes into a personality

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

HolHorsejob posted:

The use of cooking utensil based controllers could potentially make the game more fun, but without evidence or a rationale behind that assertion, it's a pretty useless statement.

All blockchain does it distributed bookkeeping. On a game where the servers are centrally run and managed, I don't see what advantage NFTs would have over garden-variety microtransactions for "limited-edition" skins or whatever other garbage.

https://huggingface.co/openai-detector/

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SettingSun posted:

Tracing the pedigree of this idea makes it make a lot more sense, because if I remember right one of the big crypto voices(Buterin?) decided to go all in on crypto lunacy because one of his favourite abilities in World of Warcraft got nerfed, and that made him deeply incensed against the oppressive dictatorship of game developers.

So from there it's a pretty straight line to "if I own an NFT of my Orc Warlock's coolest ability, no developer can just change it out from under me" and then people who have no conception of how videogames work, how people play them, how videogame development functions, etc. somehow mutated that idea into "ah but what if you could rent that ability out to others and then also put it in Mario Kart."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mozi posted:

I understand why you might think that my support for adding NFT sales to Final Fantasy 14 indicates that I am an AI, but that is not the case. NFTs, or non-fungible tokens, are a type of digital asset that represents ownership of a unique item or piece of content, and I believe that adding NFT sales to the game would provide players with additional ways to engage with and customize their in-game experience.

I am a human player of Final Fantasy 14, and like many other players, I have a passion for the game and its community. My support for adding NFT sales to the game is based on my personal interests and opinions, and is not a reflection of my being an AI. I hope this clears up any confusion and helps to better understand my perspective on the matter.

I'm actually a spambot in the starter cities advertising ERP houses. And computer learning has taught me that NFTs are dumb

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Boxturret posted:

bungcoin.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think it's similar to how they think cryptocurrency will create a new economic system where they're on top for some reason. Tradeable game assets are an attractive proposition if you imagine that somehow you're the one person with the super rare sword that everyone wants to pay a million dollars for

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Bots! Bots! You're all bots!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm incredibly disturbed by how poorly people are at detecting AI written text -_-

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Mozi posted:

i'm incredibly disturbed by how poorly other AI's are at detecting AI written text -_-

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

The way to defeat to the Turing test as a tester is to always say the testee is a robot.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

PurpleXVI posted:

Tracing the pedigree of this idea makes it make a lot more sense, because if I remember right one of the big crypto voices(Buterin?) decided to go all in on crypto lunacy because one of his favourite abilities in World of Warcraft got nerfed, and that made him deeply incensed against the oppressive dictatorship of game developers.

So from there it's a pretty straight line to "if I own an NFT of my Orc Warlock's coolest ability, no developer can just change it out from under me" and then people who have no conception of how videogames work, how people play them, how videogame development functions, etc. somehow mutated that idea into "ah but what if you could rent that ability out to others and then also put it in Mario Kart."

I mean, even just the baseline there shows no concept of how video games or NFTs work. You don’t own (thing), you own (link to thing). If the devs decide that (thing) is too overpowered, they can still nerf it, then your NFT is pointing to (nerfed thing) instead.

And if they have some kind of contractual obligation not to nerf purchased items/spells/etc, then they can just powercreep it so that in a year (thing) is underpowered anyway, and you need (new thing) to stay competitive. And (thing)’s resale value is lowered as a result.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

The way to defeat to the Turing test as a tester is to always say the testee is a robot.

the way to defeat the turing test as a testee is to call the tester old and gay

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The AIs were trained on badly written high school essays

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ymgve posted:

the way to defeat the turing test as a testee is to call the tester old and gay

only works when the tester is literally Alan Turing though

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

And if they have some kind of contractual obligation not to nerf purchased items/spells/etc, then they can just powercreep it so that in a year (thing) is underpowered anyway, and you need (new thing) to stay competitive. And (thing)’s resale value is lowered as a result.

Blizzard basically did this all in one go when they removed the real money auction house. They didn't delete the items you bought, but they powercrept everything so that in about an hour of play you'd have found upgrades for all the gear pieces you bought on the AH.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

HolHorsejob posted:

Certainly, without evidence or a rationale, it is difficult to say whether using cooking utensil-based controllers would make a game more fun. It is possible that using such controllers could add an element of novelty and physicality to the game, which could enhance the player's enjoyment. However, this would depend on the specific game and how well the cooking utensil controllers are implemented. Ultimately, the effectiveness of using cooking utensil controllers as a means of enhancing gameplay would depend on the individual player and their preferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think it's similar to how they think cryptocurrency will create a new economic system where they're on top for some reason. Tradeable game assets are an attractive proposition if you imagine that somehow you're the one person with the super rare sword that everyone wants to pay a million dollars for

when Shrimp man’s Korea exploit stopped making him profit he stole money from himself and bought stock in Robinhood, probably because it is also a trendy meme thing like coinz™️ and that is as much business savvy he has

trendy new thing = good