Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Now there's a follow up:
https://defector.com/what-horrible-things-did-we-do-to-our-penises-last-year-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

i am absolutely not reading this poo poo

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
heartwarming to see the cause of so many of these is “older sibling”

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

quote:

SITTING ON A FRESHLY LACQUERED BENCH NAKED IN FRONT OF HIS WOOD STOVE.

The story does not end like I thought it would.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Real unfortunate luck here

quote:

WAS PLAYING BASKETBALL WHEN A BASEBALL FROM A NEARBY FIELD STRUCK PATIENT IN PENIS

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

fast cars loose anus posted:

Touchdown!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

FORE!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I shoulda yelled two

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

does anyone know if defector is planning to do name of the year in the future and if not if anyone else is planning to take it up? the last edition i'm aware of was at Unnamed Temporary Sports Blog

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
SON KARATE CHOPPED HIM IN THE BALLS ABOUT 10 DAYS AGO

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1610101204687949827

for fucks' sake

In case it's deleted:
"No doubt the NFL is considering postponing the rest of this game - but how? This late in the season, a game of this magnitude is crucial to the regular-season outcome ... which suddenly seems so irrelevant."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
What did you expect? He's a gremlin.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1610114342523113472

Lmao

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Same energy

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656?s=46&t=35qbYJ_GGfgMILW-0E5H0Q

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t think Skip is explicitly saying the NFL shouldn’t postpone the game, he’s just kind of implying it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Even grosser was the ESPN (radio?) dude tweeting to the effect of “gotta restart the game, think of my parlays!!!”

Apparently the coverage was handled well and SVP was also on and got some plaudits from some of the sports media folk I follow on Twitter (like Holly Anderson), but I wasn’t watching and can’t speak first hand.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For the first 45 min or so they kept cutting to the studio with Suzy Kolber, Adam Shefter, and Booger McFarland. It was painful and they were almost TOO somber. They were like deers in headlights. I had to turn it off before they ended up cutting to SVP.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

harperdc posted:

Even grosser was the ESPN (radio?) dude tweeting to the effect of “gotta restart the game, think of my parlays!!!”

Apparently the coverage was handled well and SVP was also on and got some plaudits from some of the sports media folk I follow on Twitter (like Holly Anderson), but I wasn’t watching and can’t speak first hand.

he was an espn fantasy dude, in that he doesn't exist because he was a made up twitter account designed to make people mad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is a "sources say" and all that, but

Awful Announcing posted:

After the controversial tweet, Bayless was on-air for Tuesday morning’s live taping of Undisputed on FS1, but noticeably missing was Shannon Sharpe, and the absence may have occurred at a tipping point in their relationship. According to Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports, sources have claimed the relationship between Bayless and Sharpe has deteriorated to an “all-time low.”

In recent weeks, Bayless and Sharpe have had multiple blow-ups on camera. And while those blow-ups are part of Undisputed’s contrived theatrics, the debates became increasingly tense with Sharpe even accusing Bayless of taking “personal shots” by disrespecting his NFL playing career. Sharpe and Bayless appeared at odds again Monday night. As Bayless sparked outrage with his polarizing tweet, Sharpe offered a much more measured and considered assessment of the tragedy that was unfolding on Monday Night Football.

“Please keep Damar Hamlin and his family in your thoughts and prayers,” Sharpe tweeted. “The NFL doesn’t have a manual on how to proceed after an incident like this.”

Tuesday morning, Sharpe left Bayless to host Undisputed by himself and his absence was glaring. Just as glaring, was Sharpe liking a tweet from Charles Woodson that read “Undisputed is unwatchable without Shannon Sharpe.”

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Can't believe Skip Bayless had the gall to disrespect Shannon Sharpe's on field achievements! What won't this guy say ?!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Defector did some admirable trolling of its own subscribers by making its only coverage of college football's postseason thus far a fairly straight-faced column giving kudos to Penn State for its Rose Bowl win.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
College football is definitely an area where they have zero writers who seem to have much interest. Not sure if that's by design.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I don't think it's by design, if Spencer Hall was able to join Defector I'm pretty sure they'd hire him in a heartbeat.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Henchman of Santa posted:

College football is definitely an area where they have zero writers who seem to have much interest. Not sure if that's by design.

It’s by design. They aren’t big fans of the college sports system.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Are they big fans of the NFL as an organization?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

General Dog posted:

Are they big fans of the NFL as an organization?

They are not. However, I do think they give a wide latitude to what a given writer knows or is interested in.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: missed the point of this post

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

They are not. However, I do think they give a wide latitude to what a given writer knows or is interested in.

Yeah I think they just happened to not have anybody who really knows/cares about CFB, as opposed to having an editorial stance that “we’re not going to appeal to those readers.”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's because they're all east coast elites who went to liberal arts college and don't care about CFB.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
And Drew and Roth will have folks on to talk about the upcoming season.

Last year, Eric Eager: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/welcome-to-the-haters-guide-the-2022-college/id1525039108?i=1000577992182

This year, Spencer Hall: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nicki-minajs-cousin-is-never-going-to-marry-you-with/id1525039108?i=1000535489879

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/shannonsharpeee/status/1602320855765323776

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I realize that’s apparently extreme but seriously who watches that poo poo

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think 90% of FS1's daytime viewership is chud sports bar owners who have it on their TVs at 2pm when nobody is there

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

I think 90% of FS1's daytime viewership is chud sports bar owners who have it on their TVs at 2pm when nobody is there

And Los Angeles, apparently, for some reason (hence USC and UCLA defecting to the Big Ten).

Also if Defector wants a good CFB writer, Alex Kirshner is right there freelancing. Hell, go get Godfrey.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Godfrey would be a weird fit but Kirshner is like the exact type of person they normally employ.

Also speaking of CFB writers, Jason Kirk got some sort of Athletic editorial job.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm perfectly happy with defector not really covering college football.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Godfrey would be a weird fit but Kirshner is like the exact type of person they normally employ.

Also speaking of CFB writers, Jason Kirk got some sort of Athletic editorial job.

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1610386765373636608

senior newsletters editor, eh. huh! steady day-job and benefits can't be bad. hopefully this won't interrupt

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1610392521686847490

yeah the haint is too strong to be interrupted by things like day jobs, I should've known.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lockback posted:

I'm perfectly happy with defector not really covering college football.

Speak for yourself. I watch more college football than almost anything and it’s frustrating that they barely mention it.

Also seems like a bad business decision since college football ratings outdraw pretty much everything but the NFL.

And I don’t think it is a moral stand they are taking or anything, just none of their main writers give a poo poo about college football. Kelsey McKinney is the only one I can think of there who cares about college football but it’s mostly cuz she went to Texas and I don’t know that she knows or cares about college football beyond Texas.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They have a tag called "Death to the NCAA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

They have a tag called "Death to the NCAA"

I don’t think you’ll find a lot of college football fans that disagree with that sentiment?