Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm in the Jefferies Tube
I'm in the Taco Bell
I'm in the combination Jefferies Tube and Taco Bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1433845136165728258

Jean Luc Picard cramming down enough fries to feed a family

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Seemlar posted:

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1433845136165728258

Jean Luc Picard cramming down enough fries to feed a family

Has to keep his golem joints greased up or he starts moving his neck like Data

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

bull3964 posted:

They were also very squeaky.

https://youtu.be/1Gg9dkYMlJI

Woah that was intense. Sorry to get real but all I can think of watching that was about how Russian soldiers when they drove the tanks into Budapest were told by their superiors that they were in Germany supressing a fascist uprising.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Actually they replicate a Royale with Cheese

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Actually they replicate a Royale with Cheese

Is this with, or without, the dead astronaut

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hollismason posted:

I kind of wonder if you can use replicators to generate fast food from the 20th century. Like can you just tell the replicator "Give me a McDonald's Double Cheeseburger and fries".

Probably not exactly. You'd get something that looks like it and probably tastes better, but it's probably packed with vitamins and proteins with zero fat. You'd have to override the safety protocols on a food replicator to the point of producing poison to get something as unhealthy as a real 20th-21st century McDonald's Double Cheeseburger and fries.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Everyone posted:

Probably not exactly. You'd get something that looks like it and probably tastes better, but it's probably packed with vitamins and proteins with zero fat. You'd have to override the safety protocols on a food replicator to the point of producing poison to get something as unhealthy as a real 20th-21st century McDonald's Double Cheeseburger and fries.

Although that said, you are free to override them, it's not some totalitarian state where you're not allowed to replicate unhealthy food. It's just not the standard mode. (For some reason a bunch of people think it's a hard limit built into the replicators and they force you to only eat healthy versions, but we've seen it done, the computer is just like 'are you sure?')

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Barclay had this strange idea about a working-class bar set in 20th century Boston and just had to set it in motion.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Everyone posted:

Synthetic scotch... synthetic commanders... synthetic burger grease.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Everyone posted:

This is a pedantic point but it wouldn't be zero fat, it would be healthy fat in the right ratios.

Then again, I am sure sickbay has a hypo spray that prevents weight gain/fat gain or something.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

Then again, I am sure sickbay has a hypo spray that prevents weight gain/fat gain or something.

Funny how they always seem to run out of it towards the last two seasons...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

After your designated nutritional requirements, meals are made with synthecalories that pass through your body and schlorp out the other side in a way that would be very distressing without the advent of sonic toilets.

Another reason why many prefer real food.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If you listen closely to TNG season 6 episode 12 you can hear the sonic toilets screaming in the background

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Although that said, you are free to override them, it's not some totalitarian state

That's impossible, everyone knows all space opera settings are authoritarian dystopias! :v:

Barkhawk
Dec 23, 2006

I watched the ST: TNG's Inner Light again recently and instead of getting teared up at the end like a normal person with feelings, I started wondering if anyone ever explained how aliens knew for sure to put that little flute in the probe. What would have happened if Kamin / Picard (or another subject) decided not to play the flute. What if he took one look at it and decided he was more of a trombone guy? Then he comes back, they crack open the probe, and "hey, we found a flute inside. Is this significant to you?" "Um...no, not really. Was there a trombone? Maybe some flowers? I liked to plant flowers."

It's possible that Picard didn't ultimately have free will in the vision or the NPCs were really good at guiding him to put all of his skill points in fluting. They seemed pretty drat confident that he'd learn the flute, since it was the ONLY THING in the probe. Maybe the flute was created by a replicator after the fact based on events that took place in the vision.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Unpopular opinion: The Inner Light is merely okay

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HD DAD posted:

Take this poster to the brig

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Dang I can hear the sonic toilets right now wtf

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's impossible, everyone knows all space opera settings are authoritarian dystopias! :v:
Is this related to the phenomenon by which all historical governments are authoritarian dystopias, if not literal fascism? Or is it more of a convergent evolution?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HD DAD posted:

Jim, this man is a Klingon!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Take this poster to the brig airlock

e: OP is also an ENT defender. This single post is making me reconsider my position as one.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 2, 2023

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Inner Light is great but it's also not an episode I ever feel the need to rewatch. I'm not sure why

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Admiralty Flag posted:

e: OP is also an ENT defender. This single post is making me reconsider my position as one.

Hey now I still hold that The Visitor is fantastic. I do have a soul, you know.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Barkhawk posted:

I watched the ST: TNG's Inner Light again recently and instead of getting teared up at the end like a normal person with feelings, I started wondering if anyone ever explained how aliens knew for sure to put that little flute in the probe. What would have happened if Kamin / Picard (or another subject) decided not to play the flute. What if he took one look at it and decided he was more of a trombone guy? Then he comes back, they crack open the probe, and "hey, we found a flute inside. Is this significant to you?" "Um...no, not really. Was there a trombone? Maybe some flowers? I liked to plant flowers."

It's possible that Picard didn't ultimately have free will in the vision or the NPCs were really good at guiding him to put all of his skill points in fluting. They seemed pretty drat confident that he'd learn the flute, since it was the ONLY THING in the probe. Maybe the flute was created by a replicator after the fact based on events that took place in the vision.
I guess I always assumed it was basically scripted, but *sheug*.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

Are you prepared for the kind of death you've earned, little man?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I agree with HD DAD; Tapestry is a much better episode. The idea that an ancient civilization can launch a probe that just happens to find a person who will give a poo poo about them, and who just happens to have the right brain compatibility to get zapped by the probe, is....improbable.

Still an episode that can tug at heart strings, but I prefer Tapestry because the stakes feel higher than some civilization that died out a thousand years ago.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Whining about how the premise is "improbable" has got to be one of the goofier critiques I've heard about a Star Trek episode. The whole goddamn setting is improbable!!

It's okay to just admit you didn't like the story.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just don't think it's that interesting a premise, it's just a blandly nice epitaph to some dead guys. Tapestry and The Visitor are both much stronger character stories imo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Delsaber posted:

The Inner Light is great but it's also not an episode I ever feel the need to rewatch. I'm not sure why
There are plenty of good-to-great episodes that I would only rewatch if I was doing a full runthrough of one of the shows. For a casual watch in a spare hour, fun and action trump Serious Drama.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's okay to just admit you didn't like the story.
"[Artistic work] didn't speak to me" is a sentence in far too few personal lexicons.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Payndz posted:

There are plenty of good-to-great episodes that I would only rewatch if I was doing a full runthrough of one of the shows. For a casual watch in a spare hour, fun and action trump Serious Drama.

Yeah. It's a lovely story but if I'm just going to sit down and watch some Star Trek I'm more likely to watch Cause and Effect for the 100th time. 500th time? It's impossible to say.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I agree with HD DAD; Tapestry is a much better episode. The idea that an ancient civilization can launch a probe that just happens to find a person who will give a poo poo about them, and who just happens to have the right brain compatibility to get zapped by the probe, is....improbable.

Still an episode that can tug at heart strings, but I prefer Tapestry because the stakes feel higher than some civilization that died out a thousand years ago.

I think that's what makes it so meaningful though. It's absolutely nothing to Picard at the beginning of the episode, he's never ever met any of these people before. When he's playing the flute at the end he's mourning all these lives he came to know and then lost inside of a lifetime no one else ever knows and that's just 30 minutes for everyone else on the Enterprise. It's an emotional gutpunch in a way you can't do as a "probable" or realistic event.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm in the same boat, I think "The Inner Light" has a great concept, but it's missing something to me. The aliens aren't very interesting and we only barely see the effect the experience has on Picard, so it feels like we never get to the good part except the flute thing at the very end. That's why I really like DS9's "Hard Time" because the episode is always cutting back and forth between O'Brien feeling the after effects of the experience, and his flashback of what it was like. I feel like the right way to do it is either that, or you don't reveal what's going on at all until the very end. But in TIL you find out fairly early, when they start cutting to the crew trying to wake Picard up -- but I'm not sure that really adds much to the episode, dramatically.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The Inner Light is sad, but Tapestry is better because it adds to Picard's characterization. We learn more about who Picard is and how he became that person, and generally, things that happen to your main characters are more impactful than things that happen to one off characters we meet once and never will again.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Tapestry is peak rear end in a top hat Q.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

External Organs posted:

Tapestry is peak rear end in a top hat Q.

Tapestry Q is the perfect incarnation of Q. Mildly menacing but with your best interest at heart from the get go, but willing to put you through hell to get you there.

Q is not humanity's judge; Q is humanity's Saul Goodman.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Tapestry Q is the perfect incarnation of Q. Mildly menacing but with your best interest at heart from the get go, but willing to put you through hell to get you there.

Q is not humanity's judge; Q is humanity's Saul Goodman.

NGL, I would absolutely tune into Better Call Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm in the same boat, I think "The Inner Light" has a great concept, but it's missing something to me. The aliens aren't very interesting and we only barely see the effect the experience has on Picard, so it feels like we never get to the good part except the flute thing at the very end. That's why I really like DS9's "Hard Time" because the episode is always cutting back and forth between O'Brien feeling the after effects of the experience, and his flashback of what it was like. I feel like the right way to do it is either that, or you don't reveal what's going on at all until the very end. But in TIL you find out fairly early, when they start cutting to the crew trying to wake Picard up -- but I'm not sure that really adds much to the episode, dramatically.

i wonder if you were to take a 2nd crack at it, maybe its not making Picard relive this one guys experience of a dying civilization if you had all crew members experience it from different angles and bond through it would of made it more resonant. Cause, I also find Inner Light kinda boring on rewatch.

I mean it ACTUALLY worked for Voyager when they did it.