Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Damar Hamlin has to live now because he has to wake up to learn that his little toy drive, that he was hoping to reach $2500, has raised a million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Pain of Mind posted:

Am I the only one annoyed they keep mentioning that he made the hit on Tee Higgins? It was such a routine play that there is no fault there for either of them, but it sounds like it is trying to pass some of the blame to him.

I was listening to the radio broadcast and Kevin Harlan and Rich Eisen both seemed to make an effort to specifically not mention that it was Tee, which I thought was really compassionate of both of them.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Live on ESPN just now - no press conference from hospital tonight

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I hope Tee isn't too upset. poor guy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mirotic posted:

Live on ESPN just now - no press conference from hospital tonight

I have no idea if no news is good news or not.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I had a nap and have spent the last hour reading both the game day and this one.

God I hope he comes out of this ok.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

i think it's just "please don't stay up for this" tbh

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

indigi posted:

I hope Tee isn't too upset. poor guy

I'm sure he's beside himself right now. Anyone who isn't an absolute sociopath would be nearly inconsolable.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The best I can is that it means he isn’t dead but yeah, the reality is that there is nothing to say, and we likely won’t know more until tomorrow at the soonest

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Well gently caress, how am I supposed to go to bed?

What are you supposed to do exactly? Know that nothing will change based on your actions, get some sleep dude.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

I'm sure he's beside himself right now. Anyone who isn't an absolute sociopath would be nearly inconsolable.

Fortunately (as much as you can say that in a situation like this) his mother was also on hand tonight and walked out with him

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm seriously crying my balls off... His own mama watched him lay there, legally dead, for 9 minutes. In the past 2 years I've twice rode with my unresponsive child in an ambulance. Still I try to put myself in her shoes and I just can't comprehend the grief. I hope she gets some PTSD support, and of course I 100% hope she gets the good news I got the next day.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

OneMoreTime posted:

The best I can is that it means he isn’t dead but yeah, the reality is that there is nothing to say, and we likely won’t know more until tomorrow at the soonest

At the very least it means they are working on him right? If he were dead/dying they'd be saying they are waiting for his family.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Tee's dad apparently died a few months ago from a heart attack, too.

Martina Navritilova has announced she has two forms of cancer.

And Ken Block (the driver/co-founder of DC Shoes) was killed today in a snowmobile accident.

Has sports ever had a day like this, ever?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm not a doctor but some guy on another (not reddit) board I read who is, is saying if they had to sedate him to intubate it's technically a good thing because his brain is functioning enough to realize that he shouldn't have a tube in his throat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

At the very least it means they are working on him right? If he were dead/dying they'd be saying they are waiting for his family.

I have no idea :smith:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
The ESPN mic just caught SVP taking a deep breath before coming back on the air. Dude is doing a hell of job with the coverage.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yeah, likely doing interventions and workup

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Literally just cracked 1 million in his GFM as I refreshed!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The ESPN mic just caught SVP taking a deep breath before coming back on the air. Dude is doing a hell of job with the coverage.

he's barely holding it together you can hear it in every pause.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

It's over $1 million now.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

TheKevman posted:

Literally just cracked 1 million in his GFM as I refreshed!

Oh poo poo, this is exploding now! loving awesome.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

fartknocker posted:

It's over $1 million now.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm seriously crying my balls off...

this is a really funny phrase. Sorry about your kid and I hope they are ok and healthy forever

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm not a doctor but some guy on another (not reddit) board I read who is, is saying if they had to sedate him to intubate it's technically a good thing because his brain is functioning enough to realize that he shouldn't have a tube in his throat.

Technically yes! We don’t know if there’s any residual damage and gagging is a brainstem reaction do it’s sadly still possible to have some sort of anoxic brain injury, but we won’t know the true extent (If any!). For a few days at least

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

I wouldn't read anything into that statement other then "go to bed we aren't publicly saying anything tonight"

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

he's barely holding it together you can hear it in every pause.

i mean, just end sportscenter at this point? put some reruns of...something more uplifting? a nice 30-for-30? there's no reason they should be putting him out there at this point.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Tee is a sweetheart, I've never heard anyone say a harsh word about him.

God this is all so awful.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I feel like ESPN just gave a generation of people PTSD tonight.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

abelwingnut posted:

i mean, just end sportscenter at this point? put some reruns of...something more uplifting? a nice 30-for-30? there's no reason they should be putting him out there at this point.

They should be putting on the full run of This Is SportsCenter or reruns of this year's Marble Olympics or something.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know SVP is scheduled to be here till like 1 AM but he wasn't supposed to be on so early obviously and I don't think the man should be asked to keep going. Switch over to the west coast sportscenter people or something just to give everything some space.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Drink some water and try to get some sleep. Idk man. Sick to my goddamn stomach

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1610129764404334593?t=_vFg3m0dt6hdVURNk_iA2A&s=19

Try and get some sleep y'all. Keeping Damar and his family close to my heart tonight.

gently caress, he's 24.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

I feel like ESPN just gave a generation of people PTSD tonight.

Mostly Suzy Kolber with her eulogy-esque cut ins from commercial breaks.

At least 2 times I thought she was breaking the fact that he had died.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Kvantum posted:

Has sports ever had a day like this, ever?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaMia_Flight_2933

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thank you Ira for this guidance. I will

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

abelwingnut posted:

He's a journalist covering a story. One that is actually important in the grand scheme of things, instead of showing highlights and talking about playoff games and trades and whatever else.

He probably wants to be covering this. Even Cronkite had trouble keeping it together on occasion

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mirotic posted:

What astounds me is one of the ESPN reporters basically had to explain to the cops who the hell Diggs is
So possibly two lives saved tonight then

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I had my phone plugged in and came back to my ex telling me about this and like three news notifications

Holy poo poo I hope he's not permanently damaged :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

So possibly two lives saved tonight then

Oooof

Sad, but true.