Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really enjoying green hell. I played the tutorial, a couple of failed sessions of endless mode, then switched to story mode and I'm enjoying it. I met a Jaguar at one point though which I did not enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

CuddleCryptid posted:

Actually talking about STALKER reminded me of Cherynobylite which has been quietly developing since I played it like two years ago, I'll download it again and see if it has shaped up well. It's "enhanced edition" instead of early access now so hopefully it's at least done.

Chernobylite is incredible and is absolutely worth playing, though it's not strictly a survival game--though its survival elements are actually quite similar to ZS. Can't recommend it enough, it's the only game I've seen to have a story that hinges heavily on various choices throughout the game and has an in-universe Visual Novel style of being able to change your choices and play through different game states while working towards the different endings.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Verviticus posted:

A: you dont need both guns (you dont need either gun!)
B: you dont need something to start fire with and fuel. just use the fuel on the ground!
C: whats your light source? just use a torch from a fire
D: water comes from fires, you dont need to carry much

Yea i figured some of this out.

I think i'm done with it. I keep getting stuck in areas that are completely surrounded by mountains and trying to find the tiny path out is impossible. The fact there is no compass is really, really annoying. Also i cannot believe how fragile your character is. a 2ft drop and they're spraining things? if this is how normal people are, i'd sprain my ankle every time i got off the bus. There's making a hard survival game, but making your character made of paper is a horribly unfun aspect. All i wanted to do is go to Milton, and I was going north, but somehow even though i never changed my direction, i ended up on the far south west of the map, and couldn't find the way out. I even resorted looking at a map online and that didn't help.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

I think i'm done with it. I keep getting stuck in areas that are completely surrounded by mountains and trying to find the tiny path out is impossible. The fact there is no compass is really, really annoying. Also i cannot believe how fragile your character is. a 2ft drop and they're spraining things? if this is how normal people are, i'd sprain my ankle every time i got off the bus. There's making a hard survival game, but making your character made of paper is a horribly unfun aspect. All i wanted to do is go to Milton, and I was going north, but somehow even though i never changed my direction, i ended up on the far south west of the map, and couldn't find the way out. I even resorted looking at a map online and that didn't help.
The sprain stuff is ridiculous, I usually go custom and turn it off. Oh no, I've broken a leg again climbing a 2 degree slope!

I really like TLD most of the time so don't be afraid to tweak settings to your liking. Also look for spiky vines on rocks, those indicate an area you can climb (if you aren't doing that already). You may have wandered by the way out more than once if you don't know what to look for.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sab Sabbington posted:

Chernobylite is incredible and is absolutely worth playing, though it's not strictly a survival game--though its survival elements are actually quite similar to ZS. Can't recommend it enough, it's the only game I've seen to have a story that hinges heavily on various choices throughout the game and has an in-universe Visual Novel style of being able to change your choices and play through different game states while working towards the different endings.

I've been playing some of it; it's not bad although it's a bit too easy at the start. But I'm sure it will start ramping up fast.

My biggest complaint about it mostly revolves around the idea that yes, we all liked the HBO Cherenobyl series, but there is a certain point where "homage" becomes "plagiarism" and its when you start ripping off entire scenes including the shot framing and dialogue.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Green hell is really good, I've already got my money's worth. Definitely play story mode, it's nice to play a survival game with a plot for once. Making progress but not a lot. I had to look some things up, but I'm missing a lot of crafting recipes still.

Most of my deaths or bad situations are due to getting poisoned. As soon as I manage to get an antivenom dressing, I end up using it. If I see a Jaguar from far enough off, I can generally one shot it with a spear.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stranded Deep popped up on PC Gamepass today, is this worth checking out if I can drag a friend into it with me?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I barely fought my way through the ghoul lair and escaped with my life, all out of meds.

On the way to the nearest extract I got blindsided by a hunter on the other side of a random rock. :negative:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arrath posted:

I barely fought my way through the ghoul lair and escaped with my life, all out of meds.

On the way to the nearest extract I got blindsided by a hunter on the other side of a random rock. :negative:

Hunters hiding behind trees are really the biggest enemy of ZS. Monsters and animals are usually pretty easy to take down because even in numbers they will get on the same axis as you and them run straight at you, so you just need to get on that line and then spray directly down the axis. But then as you said you'll be walking along and then a hunter with a shotgun will be randomly hanging around just outside LOS and blow you to bits as you walk past.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Hunters hiding behind trees are really the biggest enemy of ZS. Monsters and animals are usually pretty easy to take down because even in numbers they will get on the same axis as you and them run straight at you, so you just need to get on that line and then spray directly down the axis. But then as you said you'll be walking along and then a hunter with a shotgun will be randomly hanging around just outside LOS and blow you to bits as you walk past.

Blinks are terrifying, most dangerous mutant by far, for the sole reason that this advice is far less applicable for them.

I'm also hoping they do some more claustrophobic interior areas full of mutants to make the reload specializations a worthwhile choice. Just desperately trying to reload as various mutants come out of the walls constantly.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So, thread consensus: zero sievert good or bad?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

redreader posted:

So, thread consensus: zero sievert good or bad?

Good but unfinished. There's some minor bugs but the faction system isn't in yet which hampers some of the overall progression. But in terms of the kill-loot-escape gameplay it's great how it is now and past this its going to be mostly content updates. There are some quests in the game but mostly they're secondary to gearing up. So if you like the gameplay cycle for its own sake then you'll like it.

It's basically the best case for Early Access: a fun and polished gameplay loop that just needs more content bolted on, but it's content that is only really relevant after playing for a dozen hours or so.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Good but unfinished. There's some minor bugs but the faction system isn't in yet which hampers some of the overall progression. But in terms of the kill-loot-escape gameplay it's great how it is now and past this its going to be mostly content updates. There are some quests in the game but mostly they're secondary to gearing up. So if you like the gameplay cycle for its own sake then you'll like it.

It's basically the best case for Early Access: a fun and polished gameplay loop that just needs more content bolted on, but it's content that is only really relevant after playing for a dozen hours or so.

To add to this, there's also some balance stuff like quest payouts being wildly mediocre unless it's a crafting skill book or finally you get deep enough into a questline that suddenly you get a good piece of armor. There's also no real hard end point yet with anything to really dump your resources on overcoming.

Once you get your base modules set up as well a large chunk of rare loot becomes pretty pointless, with the hump to get those bits being kinda too large initially IMO unless you know about Mr. Junk. There's also no real reason to use a chunk of the gun types like shotguns but maybe my opinion will change as I try them out more.

You will absolutely get 20-30 hours out of the game rn and I look forward to whatever is coming to flesh the game out.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
For what it’s worth, the game plays well on the Deck; but holy crow is it way harder to play it as a twin-thumbstick shooter than as a M+KB. That plus the janky control interface makes playing ZS on deck very frustrating.

It took 5 runs for me to survive one on Deck. I survived my first 5 on PC.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Stranded Deep popped up on PC Gamepass today, is this worth checking out if I can drag a friend into it with me?
I would say not at all. Even after years of development it feels completely empty and barebones, and the actual gameplay is both bizarre and unenjoyable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

To add to this, there's also some balance stuff like quest payouts being wildly mediocre unless it's a crafting skill book or finally you get deep enough into a questline that suddenly you get a good piece of armor. There's also no real hard end point yet with anything to really dump your resources on overcoming.

Once you get your base modules set up as well a large chunk of rare loot becomes pretty pointless, with the hump to get those bits being kinda too large initially IMO unless you know about Mr. Junk. There's also no real reason to use a chunk of the gun types like shotguns but maybe my opinion will change as I try them out more.

You will absolutely get 20-30 hours out of the game rn and I look forward to whatever is coming to flesh the game out.

Yeah, I'd say right now it's a 20 hour game. There is no real endpoint as noted above so you just kind of do things til you peter out and the quests are awful. Some are fine for story and progression into new areas but a lot of them are "collect 20 forks for 50 bullets, okay now collect sixteen DVD players for a medkit, okay now pick up that trash and put it in the garbage can and I'll give you the Unobtanium God Armor of Urick". You have to do dumbass quests to get to good ones so you end up having to scavenge the same useless trash over and over. It's not *difficult* but I've definitely groaned when I got a new quests that told me to salvage items that I just sold off because the quest involving them was over.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vib Rib posted:

I would say not at all. Even after years of development it feels completely empty and barebones, and the actual gameplay is both bizarre and unenjoyable.

Oh well, thanks for the info!

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

twistedmentat posted:

Regarding the sprains, while I agree they often feel very silly (oh no, I sprained my ankle for the tenth time because I decided to walk up a small mound of snow!) it is also important to know that your chance of getting sprains gets way worse the more weight you carry. If you've been up around your weight limit, you might be getting a much higher number of them.

I also found that sprains rapidly became not a big deal anyhow, at least most of the time. I always had more painkillers and bandages available then I could possibly use, so fixing sprains was basically just a negligible time commitment.

I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for getting fed up with some of the design though. Your complaint about the ability to pathfind in the game is a big one I have as well. "North" isn't consistent from map to map. The way the skybox was implemented, the direction you'd think would be north often is west or east, as shown by the location of sunrise and sunset. What's worse is that it changes with no pattern from zone to zone. I don't think the map designers ever considered making it consistent, so I'm guessing they just slap the skybox into place on a new zone and call it a day.

I've seen the community refer to the concept of "stick north" instead. When you drop a stick in the game, it always points exactly the same direction, regardless of where you happen to be facing. So, that direction can be used as a sort of ersatz north for navigation.

There's absolutely no shame in using spoiler maps for navigation if you're having problems. I've said it before, but for a game about wilderness survival in the north, the devs do not appear to think even semi-realistic navigation is important. Totally wasted opportunity to stealth teach a bunch of people how to correctly use a compass for cross country orienteering.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Is there a scope for the modern sniper rifle in ZS that I'm missing? Seems completely pointless compared to a tricked out MKM if it doesn't have a scope.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

Is there a scope for the modern sniper rifle in ZS that I'm missing? Seems completely pointless compared to a tricked out MKM if it doesn't have a scope.

There's the Lion scope (that I most often encounter mounted on p90s lol gotta love loadout rng) and at least one other high magnification scope that can mount on everything, yeah.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Card Survival added a dog

You can pet the dog

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Danaru posted:

Card Survival added a dog

You can pet the dog

Welp I thought I had finished off card survival but time to play again.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone point me in the right direction, in Green Hell please? I'm trying to get to Lambda but I haven't found the grappling hook. I have found:

-abandoned village with map. Done ayahusca trip
-Drug lab
-Dock
-Abandoned Jeep
-Cave where person was hiding from the drug lab
-Cave on other side of grappling hook point, just north of village.
-Wrecked plane cave
-Wrecked bridge
-some iron, but my base got wrecked when I was making iron stuff. The iron stuff doesn't even seem that good, my iron axe broke pretty fast and I made an iron blade too.
-a rusty iron axe at the dock

I've done one, the first, ayahusca trip (wiki spoilers I've seen seem to say there are multiple) and I didn't note the map locations revealed by the trip because I'm dumb. Googling it just gets full map spoilers I don't want to look for. I don't know where to go next and I've more or less gone around the entire border of the map. I'm missing some stuff in the middle I suppose. looks like there are more tribals to the north-middle of the map, I've come across a few of their populated villages there that I avoid.

edit: I watched a video of the first trip again, and the map is completely different to the in-game one so I'm even more lost now. I hoped it would give some kind of clue but it seems: no.

redreader fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 4, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I know a lot of people like the fact you lose nothing (except time and what you found in raid) from dying in Zero Sievert, but part of me kinda wishes it was more Tarkov-like in that you lose your entire kit. Of course, kit would have to be a LOT cheaper from the traders to compensate, but at least it would give scavenging weapons from the field more use. Cheaper to repair too.

I'm fine with it as is, but sometimes it just is kinda ehhh. I ended put the game down to simmer a bit once I realized "Ok, I've got a sweet tricked out M4 and AKM and I can make all the ammo I need for them by breaking down any decent quality ammo I can buy/salvage. I am set for life".

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Some configurable options for harder difficulty would be nice, yeah. Like losing weapons or certain gear on death.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The fact the better armors are far more fragile makes for an interesting balancing feature in ZS at least. You really need to bring along some armor repair stuff or you might as well be naked if you take enough hits. Different ammo types also cause different amounts of weapon durability damage but uh, you're never really gonna fire them enough for it to matter imo but it could be a way to balance guns.

Maybe anomalies do damage to guns too potentially, or the weather actually having an effect on them as well might be interesting. Or just more reasons to shoot more often, as is weapon repairs are pretty negligible.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I do like that it's all about trade offs. Barkeep does sell another class 4 armor in addition to the Sunrise suit, though it requires higher rep. It is less fragile and has better melee protection, but fares worse against radiation and anomalys.

That's a good start in differentiating and giving options, but it could certainly go farther. There are also the military armors, but I like being neutral to both sides.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

redreader posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction, in Green Hell please? I'm trying to get to Lambda but I haven't found the grappling hook.

The grappling hook is in a location at the end of the road the jeep fell off of, that isn't the drug lab end, following the dirt path that the road devolves into after the jeep. You have to go through a very small cave, and will need a specific item to access the location proper, but it should all be obvious once you get there. The path becomes really overgrown, and has a dead-end split so it makes sense that you'd miss it. Keep left.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 4, 2023

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks so much! I was just there, again. I didn't think to follow the path further but I did go in that direction anyway, I must have just walked past the cave or something.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The cave is right next to the animal trap (I forget what it's called, it's the lasso one) that's setup near there that you can learn, so if you find that your right ontop of it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lemony posted:

Regarding the sprains, while I agree they often feel very silly (oh no, I sprained my ankle for the tenth time because I decided to walk up a small mound of snow!) it is also important to know that your chance of getting sprains gets way worse the more weight you carry. If you've been up around your weight limit, you might be getting a much higher number of them.

I also found that sprains rapidly became not a big deal anyhow, at least most of the time. I always had more painkillers and bandages available then I could possibly use, so fixing sprains was basically just a negligible time commitment.

I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for getting fed up with some of the design though. Your complaint about the ability to pathfind in the game is a big one I have as well. "North" isn't consistent from map to map. The way the skybox was implemented, the direction you'd think would be north often is west or east, as shown by the location of sunrise and sunset. What's worse is that it changes with no pattern from zone to zone. I don't think the map designers ever considered making it consistent, so I'm guessing they just slap the skybox into place on a new zone and call it a day.

I've seen the community refer to the concept of "stick north" instead. When you drop a stick in the game, it always points exactly the same direction, regardless of where you happen to be facing. So, that direction can be used as a sort of ersatz north for navigation.

There's absolutely no shame in using spoiler maps for navigation if you're having problems. I've said it before, but for a game about wilderness survival in the north, the devs do not appear to think even semi-realistic navigation is important. Totally wasted opportunity to stealth teach a bunch of people how to correctly use a compass for cross country orienteering.

It was really dumb because i accidentally walked off a 1ft drop, and was forced to go down a really dumb way because of it, getting sprains the whole way down, using up all my bandages and painkillers.

And the navigation thing is really stupid when you get down to it. I entered mountain town through the swampy area by travelling north, as i could figure out which was north via using the railroad, but once i got into mountain town i kept going the same direction, and it was okay at first because i could stop every so often and mark the map and i know i was going in the right direction, and then it started to snow, so i couldn't do that anymore, but i kept going in the same direction but somehow ended up at hermits cabin which is in the western part of the map. What the hell? Anyways, decided to stay there overnight, but it kept snowing and i figured this was on the extreme west of the map, so if i headed towards that big island i should find the way out. When the snow stopped, i marked the map and i was in the completely opposite direction of where I thought I was going. Then I stepped in a depression and couldn't get out.

Restarted with sprains off and in Mountain Town. I want to do a tour of the Neebs Gaming Long Dark locations, where Neebs is in Mountain Town and Appsro is in Pleasant Vally. BTW if you haven't heard of this channel, its a bunch of guys from South Carolina who play survival games mostly as a group and they're dumb and angry and hilarious. They have a very long running Ark series, they just started Grounded which hurts me because they're missing so much obvious stuff but its fun to watch them learn things. Their 7 Days to Die is great, as they're using the Darkness Falls mod which looks like it really improves the game alot. They're also playing Green Hell and why i was interested in it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiufyZv8iRPTafTw0D4CvnQ

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Icarus update - refund!

I put in two hours and decided to refund. I do admit that two hours isn't enough to get into the meat of the game, since I didn't even do any of the off-world quest stuff. I don't really care about that though. It was the survival aspects which found lacking. The animal AI was disappointing, and the bland Unity assets certainly didn't help.

I didn't see anything which hasn't been done better elsewhere. Conan Exiles, Ark, Rust, etc all do better base-building and survival. The only aspect which I found interesting is the storm mechanic and its effect on your shelter. It was pretty intense the first time that a rain storm blew by and I had to constantly repair my flimsy 2x2 stick shelter while the wind blew holes in the walls and the roof.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I just think it's very funny that Icarus was such a boring, bland piece of crap after they spent so much time and money hyping it up.
All that and it's just "okay now build your stick base that looks like every other stick base in every other survival game".

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

explosivo posted:

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed it. It definitely does not have any sort of long replayability or depth, but I got about 40hrs or so out of it. The gameplay is very repetitive though, especially grinding for resources.

If you like the general kind of survival scrounging for stuff plus crafting but in a really nice relaxing environment (aside from the sharks), then its pretty good.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:mad:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

It was really dumb because i accidentally walked off a 1ft drop, and was forced to go down a really dumb way because of it, getting sprains the whole way down, using up all my bandages and painkillers.

And the navigation thing is really stupid when you get down to it. I entered mountain town through the swampy area by travelling north, as i could figure out which was north via using the railroad, but once i got into mountain town i kept going the same direction, and it was okay at first because i could stop every so often and mark the map and i know i was going in the right direction, and then it started to snow, so i couldn't do that anymore, but i kept going in the same direction but somehow ended up at hermits cabin which is in the western part of the map. What the hell? Anyways, decided to stay there overnight, but it kept snowing and i figured this was on the extreme west of the map, so if i headed towards that big island i should find the way out. When the snow stopped, i marked the map and i was in the completely opposite direction of where I thought I was going. Then I stepped in a depression and couldn't get out.

Restarted with sprains off and in Mountain Town. I want to do a tour of the Neebs Gaming Long Dark locations, where Neebs is in Mountain Town and Appsro is in Pleasant Vally. BTW if you haven't heard of this channel, its a bunch of guys from South Carolina who play survival games mostly as a group and they're dumb and angry and hilarious. They have a very long running Ark series, they just started Grounded which hurts me because they're missing so much obvious stuff but its fun to watch them learn things. Their 7 Days to Die is great, as they're using the Darkness Falls mod which looks like it really improves the game alot. They're also playing Green Hell and why i was interested in it.

I cannot stress enough how loving stupid I find it that The Long Dark, a game about traversing a desolate and frozen wilderness, does not have a compass in it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lemony posted:

I cannot stress enough how loving stupid I find it that The Long Dark, a game about traversing a desolate and frozen wilderness, does not have a compass in it.

Don't you even care about the lore? Compasses are impossible due to the electromagnetic thing that is loving up the weather. The lore!!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah Neebs is a good time. The thumbnails for TLD are great because they just keep adding more wolves.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Don't you even care about the lore? Compasses are impossible due to the electromagnetic thing that is loving up the weather. The lore!!

Oh right, maybe that's why the sun rises and sets in different directions depending on which zone you happen to be in. Magnets.

In all seriousness, I don't feel it's unreasonable that they could decide the magic magnet problem doesn't impact compasses. I think it would be even cooler in fact, because you could have the compass go batshit crazy during aurora events. Even better, you could use it as a passive tool for showing an event is on its way in advance. Your compass starts acting odd during the day? Probably going to be an event that night.

Maybe that's just past of me also wishing that the game had pseudo accurate weather behavior, so you could do some basic weather prediction as part of the gameplay loop. It'd be nice to be able to make educated guesses as to if there's going to be a storm later or not. Of course, then I just get to thinking that all the electronic stuff not working really shouldn't prevent you from having access to poo poo like barometers and such...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Reinstalled vintage story after a long break, but I suspect I had more mods installed than prospectorinfo. Anyone got some cool rear end essentials they want to recommend?