Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PBCrunch posted:

I've also heard you can break tire beads by jacking a car up, removing a wheel, positioning the loose tire and wheel beneath the brake rotor, and lowering the jack until the rotor and the weight of the car pushes the tire off the bead.

Like this.

You can do a lot of stuff; doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vidya dun work.
Just me?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It was working yesterday but I guess it's gotten taken down or something.

It was a guy making sick rims out of steelies by cutting out the center and welding in five chunks of square tube.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

It was working yesterday but I guess it's gotten taken down or something.

It was a guy making sick rims out of steelies by cutting out the center and welding in five chunks of square tube.

Ah, pretty sure I've seen that before.
Definitely been done by Garage54, but they usually do that stuff in response to the internet doing it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

PBCrunch posted:

I've also heard you can break tire beads by jacking a car up, removing a wheel, positioning the loose tire and wheel beneath the brake rotor, and lowering the jack until the rotor and the weight of the car pushes the tire off the bead.

Like this.

Oh yea I tried that first but it was a lawn mower and not heavy enough. Even lifting the front of my tractor off the ground with the bucket was a no-go. The day was high 90s and wicked humidity so I wasn't thinking clearly or with much patience either. It ended up working out great after my usual shop recommended a tire place I wasn't familiar with. They ended up not only doing all 4 tires in like 2 hours but then charged me nothing. They guy wouldn't even take the 20 I had in my pocket. Next time I go there I'm bringing coffee and donuts.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
This is part mechanical failure and part electronic failure but I have a ‘17 Focus and I’m getting ready to leave on a road trip in the morning to I threw my GoPro in my car and went to get gas station to fill up. Well on my way there the power steering shits itself so I pull into an autozone and pop the hood. I can’t find the power steering reservoir anywhere but I notice the brake fluid reservoir is low so I buy some fluid and top it up then start googling wtf is going on. Turns out I have an electric power steering rack and the GoPro I have plugged into my car’s usb port to charge it is communicating to my car and erroring out the power steering. It’s 100% repeatable too, plug it in and 2 minutes later I lose all power steering.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
what did you think the "s" in "usb" stood for?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My focus was my first and last Ford product

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

My only thought is that I'm pretty sure that port I plugged the gopro into also how you hook up to the CANBUS via computer/USB stick for updates and so the gopro thought it was talking to a PC and wigged the ECU the gently caress out.

tater_salad posted:

My focus was my first and last Ford product

I've had it for 2 years now and have put 40k on it. i've had the entire long block swapped out for burning a quart of oil every 200 miles and the transmission swapped out because it would buck like a motherfucker on the 1-2 shift, both under warranty thank god

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 1, 2023

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I drive a Transit for work and plug a GoPro in to charge all the time. It's never caused the power steering to fail.

It failed all on it's own lol.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

weg posted:

I drive a Transit for work and plug a GoPro in to charge all the time. It's never caused the power steering to fail.

If it wasn't totally repeatable I wouldn't have loving believed it either.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
When mine went out I never got an explanation from management other than "computer bad". At least I don't have to worry about dealing with it.

Other than that the Transit has been a pretty good and reliable vehicle.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

I ended up driving around for like 2 hours after figuring it out and it never came back, but I'm also going on a 800 mile road trip starting tomorrow and now I'm concerned it's done damage to the PS system and I'm gonna be in the snow somewhere and it shits itself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

weg posted:

To be fair, the Transit I drove for my last job failed on its own quite well.

As did every replacement. I wanted to refuse to believe Ford was building such lovely vehicles, but once I started picking up BRAND NEW (only driven to get a wrap) Transits and getting them with multiple warning lights with <300 miles..

When they work, they work well. They break a lot though.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I recently got a new Transit after putting 100k on my previous one. The new one was delivered with a dent in the roof, water in the one of the tail lights, a gouge in the bumper where someone clearly hit something, a dead battery, a broken window switch and rear doors that don't close fully without slamming them. Probably a Friday afternoon build.

Better than a Dodge ProMaster though haha.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Large Testicles posted:

I ended up driving around for like 2 hours after figuring it out and it never came back, but I'm also going on a 800 mile road trip starting tomorrow and now I'm concerned it's done damage to the PS system and I'm gonna be in the snow somewhere and it shits itself.
If it's a standard usb A connector, you can try some tape over the middle 2 data plugs on the cable.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd try a USB data blocker. It's just a little USB extender thing with the data wires removed so it only provides power. Keeps you from having to mess with taping over leads so you can still easily plug it into a computer or what not.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Factory USB ports on older cars usually only supply half and amp anyway - between off using the lighter socket.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

weg posted:

I recently got a new Transit after putting 100k on my previous one. The new one was delivered with a dent in the roof, water in the one of the tail lights, a gouge in the bumper where someone clearly hit something, a dead battery, a broken window switch and rear doors that don't close fully without slamming them. Probably a Friday afternoon build.

Better than a Dodge ProMaster though haha.
Let's just say there's good reasons the bezos boys got Rivian to build them a van.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

To be fair, the Transit I drove for my last job failed on its own quite well.

As did every replacement. I wanted to refuse to believe Ford was building such lovely vehicles, but once I started picking up BRAND NEW (only driven to get a wrap) Transits and getting them with multiple warning lights with <300 miles..

When they work, they work well. They break a lot though.

Ugh, I'm really torn between getting a Maverick or just saying gently caress it and going with the 100% safer bet and getting a Tacoma.

I really want the Maverick.... but Ford. Toyotas have never let me down and I'm afraid if I make the move to a Ford it will end in regret.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
In my BMW E91, there is a 10 amp fuse that controls two things:

1) The HVAC control panel
2) A light bulb at the bottom edge of the rear hatch, visible as the red spot next to the latch here :

What do you think happen when that light bulb socket on the hatch gets smacked every time the hatch is opened and closed, and builds up a nice layer of corrosion on the contacts after years of sitting next to a cold and wet gap on the car?

Exactly, your HVAC is dead, your windows are fogging up, and you have no idea why.

I went through 4-5 fuses and considered replacing my HVAC controls before it finally occured to me to replace the $12 socket module. Ever since that the HVAC panel has worked perfectly.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Day late update. The power steering completely ate poo poo about 3 hours into my trip when I stopped for gas. I didn’t have the GoPro plugged into the usb before that so idk if the problems were completely unrelated or if it caused actual damage but like i said before, it was totally repeatable.

Had to brute strength steer the car home, leave it there and rent a loving Versa for the trip because I had to bring my dog and the trip wasn’t for a vacation. I’ll deal with it later.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Large Testicles posted:

rent a loving Versa

So sorry for your lots

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

evobatman posted:

In my BMW E91, there is a 10 amp fuse that controls two things:

1) The HVAC control panel
2) A light bulb at the bottom edge of the rear hatch, visible as the red spot next to the latch here :

What do you think happen when that light bulb socket on the hatch gets smacked every time the hatch is opened and closed, and builds up a nice layer of corrosion on the contacts after years of sitting next to a cold and wet gap on the car?

Exactly, your HVAC is dead, your windows are fogging up, and you have no idea why.

I went through 4-5 fuses and considered replacing my HVAC controls before it finally occured to me to replace the $12 socket module. Ever since that the HVAC panel has worked perfectly.

Why wouldn't you put that light on, oh, I don't know, the dome light circuit?
Bizarre.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

Bizarre.

Because superior German engineering.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Bizarre.
Proper alerting and diagnostic system. You're more likely to notice the hatch light failure if the entire HVAC goes out too. In fact, every system on the car is fused on the HVAC line for this reason.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Reminds me of a Saab Whatever I worked on once a long time ago. Complaint was that the electrical systems were going haywire. Multiple systems doing weird things or just not working, especially any and all lighting circuits. After learnin' myself some Scandinavian Design, in the end it turned out that the owner had replaced one brake light bulb with an incorrect one that fit the socket and was visually identical (3057-3157 I think). That's it. Real "Just Rolled In" material.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Joe Mama posted:

Reminds me of a Saab Whatever I worked on once a long time ago. Complaint was that the electrical systems were going haywire. Multiple systems doing weird things or just not working, especially any and all lighting circuits. After learnin' myself some Scandinavian Design, in the end it turned out that the owner had replaced one brake light bulb with an incorrect one that fit the socket and was visually identical (3057-3157 I think). That's it. Real "Just Rolled In" material.

So the car called for non-haunted or what? :pwn:

vvv lmao :confuoot:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 4, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

So the car called for non-haunted or what? :pwn:

There are no non haunted euro electrical systems. I once had a VW Rabbit Pickup with the horn shorted through the gearstick.

https://youtu.be/-qJx8i6ULwk

The switch on the steering wheel did not then, nor has ever worked.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Because superior German engineering.

You know, I should have known that answer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Mama posted:

If you ever run into a Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Lincoln Town Car where every exterior light lights up with the brakes and turn signals (including headlights), someone has done exactly this with a brake light. Or managed to get the bulb in backwards (surprisingly easy).

How it manages to backfeed the headlights is beyond me, they're on a separate circuit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 4, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I'm still angry about the bulbs not having enough contacts (?) on a 2001 B Sprinter's rear light cluster.

Nothing to add, just needed to get out. It just broke confusingly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

shame on an IGA posted:

There are no non haunted euro electrical systems. I once had a VW Rabbit Pickup with the horn shorted through the gearstick.

Shorted to the steering column in mine... at 4:30 in the morning on the tail of the dragon driving to a clean up event with about 20 other cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Reminds me of the PO solution to a non working horn on a Protege I had years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdsBoHMlBok

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

I had a 1986 Audi 80CC where the ignition somehow shorted through the reverse switch. Backed into a parking spot, turned off the ignition and pulled the key out. Engine still ran. Put the car into neutral, and the engine stopped.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Large Testicles posted:

My only thought is that I'm pretty sure that port I plugged the gopro into also how you hook up to the CANBUS via computer/USB stick for updates and so the gopro thought it was talking to a PC and wigged the ECU the gently caress out.

The fact there's no airgap or validation and I assume Ford takes "Mass Storage Device" or whatever role a USB connected GoPro takes must trigger a firmware payload sequence and disables power steering of all things?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DJ Commie posted:

The fact there's no airgap or validation and I assume Ford takes "Mass Storage Device" or whatever role a USB connected GoPro takes must trigger a firmware payload sequence and disables power steering of all things?
Ford didn't have self-update capability in anything other than the infotainment system itself (Ford calls it APIM) at the time, and I'm pretty sure even to this day only the EVs can do much more. Either way a 2017 definitely doesn't have the ability to update more than Sync 3 from USB. Also GoPros don't appear as Mass Storage, they use that annoying MTP bullshit.

The APIM is the only device connected to all three of the car's CAN buses though so it's plausible that something is electrically wonking out the APIM in such a way that it interferes with HS-CAN communication. Seems like a stretch though.

Large Testicles, if you have a Windows laptop or Android phone you can use FORScan with a cheap cable or Bluetooth adapter to read module-specific trouble codes. PSCM is the power steering control module. Some quick googling indicates that some people have had similar behavior relating to issues with a big fat fuse up near the battery, so that might be worth looking in to. An electrical issue that's right on the limit of working right and just happens to be pushed over the edge by something the GoPro does could make sense.

https://www.focusst.org/threads/steering-assist-fault.167566/ seems to have some useful links and images.

I have a 2015 Fiesta upgraded to a 2016 APIM so electrically it's pretty similar, will try plugging my Hero4 in to my car and see what happens but I'm not expecting anything interesting.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can confirm at least on a Sync 3.6 in a Ford Transit, the USB port can only update the infotainment. And it was only one of the two ports that could do it - that one seemed to put out 1A (the other was strictly 500mA charge with no data)

The EPS on the 2021 Transits I used to drive for work would glitch out all the drat time, but it would only do it immediately after starting the engine (often it would be a half day thing, then it'd be fine after sitting for lunch). Didn't seem to matter if anything was plugged in or not. I did update the stereo on a couple, more because Android Auto would crash nonstop until then.

The CEL was essentially a power light on those vans though, I never bothered trying to pull codes even when they couldn't go over 2500 RPM with a flashing CEL. I took delivery of several with <300 miles and a CEL, tried to refuse because, well, obvious issues, Penske basically said "okay, it'll be at least 6 months until its replacement shows up" to my boss. Even on ones with obvious accident damage and doors that wouldn't even close properly. :argh:

don't ever do a commercial lease from penske unless you truly give zero fucks and like getting charged for missing stuff that the van was ordered without.. like a spare tire

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 4, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Head down rear end up that's the way 4l60 likes to NNNNNNN