Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rasalhauge Galaxy is pretty straightforward.

OK CGL, I accept your challenge!

The only thing I'm not sure of is the Wheeled APC, because it could also be a Striker that's missing its missile turret. I thought the Warrior might be a Donar for a bit until I noticed the goofy pusher tail fan. Definitely a Warrior.

New Ostsol is looking good, and the Hermes II is a surprise. The Goliath needing a flight base makes me giggle. And the Cicada is instantly recognizable because it looks like it forgot to bring any guns.

That's no Venom, it's an Ostscout.

Edit: Fuckin' lol at the Goliath getting a flightstand before the Warrior.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Comstar posted:

The Riflemen IIC is wearing a hat.

For some reason I think more mech's should be wearing them too.

Lol it you’re not painting your rifleman iic as wearing a sombrero or straw hat.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rasalhauge Galaxy is pretty straightforward.

OK CGL, I accept your challenge!

The only thing I'm not sure of is the Wheeled APC, because it could also be a Striker that's missing its missile turret. I thought the Warrior might be a Donar for a bit until I noticed the goofy pusher tail fan. Definitely a Warrior.

New Ostsol is looking good, and the Hermes II is a surprise. The Goliath needing a flight base makes me giggle. And the Cicada is instantly recognizable because it looks like it forgot to bring any guns.

The Skulker has already appeared in a Rec Guide so that's my guess for your Wheeled APC.

The Rec Guide Cicada is also a nasty customer. I'll be using it a lot.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished my Alpha Galaxy Ghost Bears.

These look excellent and huge props for painting not only all those tiny white dots but also the tiny black dots underneath them!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I cheated.

Because I hate painting white anywhere except as a reflection accent for cockpit glass, those white dots are actually a 50/50 mix of Reaper Pure White and Reaper Blue Flame. So they're actually very light blue dots. :D

The dark gray also has a tiny amount of blue mixed in too, to help everything mesh.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 3, 2023

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

BattleMaster posted:

"we were super successful and made all this money!"

"pay your contractors"

"no"

Not to excuse what happened back then, but the failure of payments and accompanying financial shadiness happened back in 2010; contractors have been getting paid just fine for a very long time at this point.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah I only started buying poo poo from them when my freelancer friend said that they were now square with him.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

raverrn posted:

That's no Venom, it's an Ostscout.

You're right, it is! I saw "sleek and Spider sized" and forgot the Venom has big fuckoff heat radiators.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Could that Cataphract variant be a Caesar? Or is that the joke I'm missing?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

Could that Cataphract variant be a Caesar? Or is that the joke I'm missing?

That's the joke, yeah. I was genuinely thrown by the antenna for a few seconds since that's a new feature.

They actually succeeded in making the Caesar look like it's derived from the Cataphract so at a glance if you don't notice the rounded armor or the Gauss Rifle in the right torso or the lack of the Cataphract's signature front armor shelf or the presence of the right hand no Cataphract has ever had or that the legs and feet are ever so slightly different...

What should I paint next? I'm kinda spoiled for choice and excited for all of them. The choice paralysis is real. My choices are:
- Marik Militia
- Sea Foxes
- Wolf in Exile Forgot they're not based yet, so they're out.
- Whatever the gently caress I'm going to do for the Nova Cats (probably a mix of White + Gray, Xi provisional bullshit, and "appropriate" camo with some purple highlights to remind House Marik whose side they're on...)
- Martian Camo Company
- Desert Camo Company

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 4, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Caesar-Cataphract connection was always really weird to me, because the FC was also building its own Cataphract at the time. I would have had the FC just build the Caesar and the CC the Cataphract instead of the FC building both and the CC building its own CTF variant.

PoptartsNinja posted:

What should I paint next? I'm kinda spoiled for choice and excited for all of them. The choice paralysis is real. My choices are:
- Marik Militia
- Sea Foxes
- Wolf in Exile Forgot they're not based yet, so they're out.
- Whatever the gently caress I'm going to do for the Nova Cats (probably a mix of White + Gray, Xi provisional bullshit, and "appropriate" camo with some purple highlights to remind House Marik whose side they're on...)
- Martian Camo Company
- Desert Camo Company

Go Marik Militia, they re-founded the brigade in Empire Alone.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

The Caesar-Cataphract connection was always really weird to me, because the FC was also building its own Cataphract at the time. I would have had the FC just build the Caesar and the CC the Cataphract instead of the FC building both and the CC building its own CTF variant.

I think the idea was they kept building the Cataphract in limited numbers because Capellan expats and areas like Tikonov and St. Ives were familiar and comfortable with it; but the racists in the Sarna March turned their noses up at it so they built a "new" 'Mech with 80% of the same components and a 'Made in the Federated Suns' logo.

Edit: I've got a pretty choice selection of 'Mechs for the Marik Militia, I think.

Although just for fun I did sneak both a Panther and a Wolverine into the Nova Cats, and the Sea Foxes have a King Crab (because they make them).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 4, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I have one lance each in my 2nd Donegal regiment that uses Drac, Marik and Liao gear because hey, why not. I needed an excuse to use the Juliano and Anzu.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I have decided (With my 4 y.o.'s express encouragement) to just keep painting all my Inner Sphere 'mechs Swordsworn colors, Prince's Men Regiment (2/3rds green 1/3rd blue on the arm and leg), and all my Clan mechs Spirit Cat colors.

Having the Swordsworn reconstituted in The Damocles Sanction helps that choice. Maybe one day I'll have enough doubles of minis to do some Republic Dawn Guard colors.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Spirit Cats

Its' this choice, do this.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was hemming and hawing about buying the old Mechs! box with the crappy old plastic mechs some months ago. Well, I did in fact buy it now. Saw someone selling the box for over 100€ on Ebay, then someone in Germany offering an unopened, shrink-wrapped copy for 60€ on Facebook. Turns out that difference in price was be enough for me to grab it. I could see the box becoming more expensive in the future.

Guess it’ll be good content for YouTube. There are plenty of photos of the mechs out there but I could do a proper compare and contrast with the current plastic mechs and talk about the importance of great miniature design.

Of course, I’ll eventually need to paint the old fuckers. Maybe I’ll have to make them a totally separate company instead of trying to mix them with the CGL plastics.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 4, 2023

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
My thoughts on The Damocles Sanction so far.

I am not done with the book yet, just finished the portion where the Federated Suns recaptures New Avalon. My take so far.

The Good:
~ Yay, finally a book not about the Clans in the IlClan Era.
~ This is a book that gets into Feudal Politiking in both the Feds Suns and Draconis Combine, and I really appreciate that. No one's a yes man here, Julian Davion has to worry about Erik getting too big of a head, Erik has legitimate grievances against Julian as First Prince. So many BattleTech books have just been "Characters say a lot of stuff so that we can get to the fighty stuff". Here, we actually have some decent (Not superb) characterization, internal motivations causing characters who aren't bad guys to butt heads and disagree. I think there could've been a little more set up in the beginning about what really motivates Julian and Erik (Or why they disagree on certain issues), but seeing them disagree on different issues and both have good points was refreshing.
~Yay, people are calling out a leader of a Great House for not getting married and making heirs! Catalyst is listening to us!
~ Combine Dynastic politics is cool too. I was really surprised by how quickly Toranaga is taken out in this book, yet being left out to dry by Coordinator Yori makes 100% sense from her POV, and Toranaga is smart enough to see it coming yet can't stop it. Bit of a tragedy there, even if Toranaga is a murdering monster.
~ The aerial battle during the orbital insertion for New Avalon was actually enjoyable and tense. Probably the best written aerial battle in the last few years, and lightyears ahead of the one in HOTW.

The Bad:
~ Lot of typos, needed another proofreading I think
~ The Battle of New Avalon is technically not the center focus of this book, the political fallout of the recapture is. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the reconquest honestly felt a little quick.
~ some strange lore choices on the part of the author, ones I think might be honestly mistaken. I was glad to see the Swordsworn still in existence, as they were one of my favorite Clix factions, but their status is kind of strange. How many regiments they are is never identified (I'm assuming they've been consolidated into one), and what their status in the AFFS is unclear. Are they Erik's personal guard? Are they under AFFS command? Doesn't seem to be clarified so far.
~I was hoping for some sort of positive understanding being reached between Erik and Julian at the end, but instead the two start as uneasy rivals and end as hated rivals. Oh well, at least Erik doesn't seem like he's planning a coup. He just wants to run the Draconis March right and hold Julian accountable.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Although just for fun I did sneak both a Panther and a Wolverine into the Nova Cats, and the Sea Foxes have a King Crab (because they make them).

That's one of the reasons I love the ilClan era. You have pure IS 'Mechs, mixedtech machines, and Clan 'Mechs serving in pretty much every power by this point, so there's none of this 'I wanna run X faction but I wanna use Y design in it but I can't because Lore Reasons.'

Clans in the ilClan era are far less snobby about using 'inferior' Battlemechs, and they're more willing to sell designs to the IS (or at least Sea Fox is, and most Clans that deal with them don't particularly care if the designs they license out to the Merchant Clan wind up in the hands of IS powers)

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey just checking here in case anyone knows but has anyone ever used a marker erasable nylon mat with hexes already sized to be battletech miniature standard (I think 1.25 inches?).

And if so where did you get that mat? I've got 2 difference Chessex mats between that size (1 and 1.5 inches) and they don't do any size inbetween as far as I can tell. I'd like to have the exact grid size right because I plan to print out some 3d terrain but I'd like the mat to be a fallback so I can draw on it if I run out or want to represent something I haven't printed yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You may have better luck searing for 3cm hexes, BattleTech hexes are 3cm exactly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey just checking here in case anyone knows but has anyone ever used a marker erasable nylon mat with hexes already sized to be battletech miniature standard (I think 1.25 inches?).

And if so where did you get that mat? I've got 2 difference Chessex mats between that size (1 and 1.5 inches) and they don't do any size inbetween as far as I can tell. I'd like to have the exact grid size right because I plan to print out some 3d terrain but I'd like the mat to be a fallback so I can draw on it if I run out or want to represent something I haven't printed yet.

Tablewar makes mats with 1.25" hexes, but they're transparent and meant to go on top of another thing

https://tablewar.com/collections/geomats

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Speaking of mat talk, is there a good stateside shipping neoprene texture printed hex option? I'm starting to print out buildings and elevation hexes like a fancy Dan.

I've got like a million different themes for Legion so I'm set if I get into Alpha Strike.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Tablewar makes mats with 1.25" hexes, but they're transparent and meant to go on top of another thing

https://tablewar.com/collections/geomats

This is super cool but not quite what I'm looking for. Unless I could draw on this with dry erase marker and it not stain then maybe it could work.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

This is super cool but not quite what I'm looking for. Unless I could draw on this with dry erase marker and it not stain then maybe it could work.

They're made for wet erase markers but yeah that's basically what they're designed for

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So what’s wrong with the chessex 1.25” hex mats? I think I missed that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Speaking of maps, I was thinking about getting a sheet of plexiglass or something like that to flatten out these folded maps from the starter set. Is there maybe an easier or more elegant solution that's gone over my head?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Nahh, that’s the old war gaming way. I usually just get a poster frame from Michael’s or whatever cause it’s cheaper than buying plexi

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished up the Marik Militia, aside from topcoating and touching up the bases (and anything I spot in the photos that I can't see with the naked eye).

Heavy Battle Lance

Battle Lance

Raider Lance

Marik Militia Company

And all the 'Mechs with infantry on the bases

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Those look really nice. Man, I want to do some mechs in purple now.

When you wash your mechs, do you give them a coat all over, or just on details and lines?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They're made for wet erase markers but yeah that's basically what they're designed for

Ah nice, maybe this will work then

Dr. Lunchables posted:

So what’s wrong with the chessex 1.25” hex mats? I think I missed that.

Chessex doesn't seem to sell 1.25 inch hex mats, it's all 1 inch or 1.5 inches.

I've found something potentially on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1332120264/tan-hex-mat-for-hex-wargames-like. But I'm not sure if a pvc mat is dry-erasable like vinyl is.

EDIT: nevermind it looks like that listing is gone now :/. Man I don't know why this is so hard to find

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 6, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

When you wash your mechs, do you give them a coat all over, or just on details and lines?

It depends on the colors I'm using and whether I have a wash that compliments well or if a wash would destroy the paintjob. If the wash is complimentary I'll usually do an all-over.

Although I did jump the gun on pictures. I forgot I wanted to get my gloss coat on, then do a little weathering around the feet before I did my final matte coat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Almost done printing my map scale Leopard dropship (Nuseen/HBS/CGL type). One door failure to reprijnt. Really dumb question but I want to assemble it in demployment mode and can't find reference photos: the doors open up like a delorian, they're not ramps, right? That seems to be the way it wants to fit together but before I superglue thought I'd confirm.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Owlbear Camus posted:

Almost done printing my map scale Leopard dropship (Nuseen/HBS/CGL type). One door failure to reprijnt. Really dumb question but I want to assemble it in demployment mode and can't find reference photos: the doors open up like a delorian, they're not ramps, right? That seems to be the way it wants to fit together but before I superglue thought I'd confirm.

PGI could never figure out how Leopards actually deployed 'Mechs and just settled for spawning you in next to them at a height that would be pretty deadly to the actual Mechwarrior. It shouldn't matter too much unless you're printing at 1:285/6mm/'Mechscale. Unless you print a 1:1000 'Mech jumping out of it, as long as you think it looks cool you'll be right.

Mapscale leopards are fun to paint. I painted mine to look like flying garbage scows.

Edit: That reminds me, I really should finish painting my mapscale Titan.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 6, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mapscale leopards are fun to paint. I painted mine to look like flying garbage scows.

Love the re-entry burns around the leading edges; that's definitely an effect I'd already planned on for mine as well.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Tomorrow I have my first game of battletech lined up. My opponent has the beginner box, and I have the “A Game of Armored Combat” box. Will it be easy enough for me to “drop down” to their ruleset, or is it more complicated than that? Can we just use approximately close bv mechs and be close enough fairness wise?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Here’s some 1.25” hex PVC mats. https://steelwarriorstudios.com/collections/hextech-gaming-mats

You can use wet-erase markers on em.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bored Online posted:

Tomorrow I have my first game of battletech lined up. My opponent has the beginner box, and I have the “A Game of Armored Combat” box. Will it be easy enough for me to “drop down” to their ruleset, or is it more complicated than that? Can we just use approximately close bv mechs and be close enough fairness wise?

The beginner box is a greatly simplified game that gives huge advantages to certain machines that wouldn't be reflected by their battle value. They're probably not particularly comparable.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
While I'm waiting for the gloss coat on my Marik Militia to dry so I can do final weathering, I got a good start on my Spirit Nova Cats. They're not all using the Spirit Cats colors, but I think the overall effect I'm going for is still going to work in the end.

It's really hard to find good pictures of the Clix, but that's the pattern on one of the Spirit Cats Nova Cat minis.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve been at it a fair bit recently, a good balance between mechs, tanks, and missile boats.

Also magnetized the turrets on all the tanks, so they’re not sitting there awkwardly waiting to fall out. Bonus: they still traverse!

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Bored Online posted:

The Beginner Box is the same base ruleset as AGOAC, only with a bunch of elements stripped out (no heat, no criticals, no internal structure), so you should have no trouble following the Beginner rules.

As for balance, the rules changes make Battle Value have some notable gaps when using the Beginner rules (since BV was designed for the full version of the game). If you're really concerned about balance use the spreadsheet below, which has a set of point values built specifically for the Beginner Box writeups of any mech with record sheets released in that format.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25irj25i9qamq1v/Beginner%20Box%20Match%20Ratings.xlsx?dl=0

Xotl fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Xotl, I know your ability to influence the minis line is probably pretty limited; but if CGL ever gets worried the UrbanMech meme is wearing thin you could always recommend a box of Cats (Timberwolf D, Mad Cat Mk. II, Mad Cat Mk. III, Savage Wolf, and Alpha Wolf all in the same star box).

I'd buy an unhealthy number of those and I've already got eight Mad Cats. Maybe nine. I've lost count.