Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tom Smykowski posted:

It's impossible to describe that feeling when it's 4am and you've been up for two hours with a kid who's wide awake.

Hell. You're in hell.

The good news is that you'll be so sleep deprived you'll forget the bad stuff eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Wife, getting on the couch to read a book to my daughter: “Move over, I’m going to sit there.”

Almost 4 year old: “Noooo, you’ll break the couch!”

Just wow.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

harperdc posted:

Ms 9 Months is hitting some kind of serious sleep regression.

Usual bedtime pattern is put her down about 8-8:30 pm, but the last couple weeks she’s been waking up in the middle of the night somewhere from 2-3 am. The routine has been to get a bottle and then use the carrier until she no longer pops out of sleep once she’s in the crib, but as this takes on average an hour, yours truly is getting some atrocious sleep.

Oh, and did I mention it’s always me taking care of this nighttime fun? Thanks dear.

Searching for “9-month sleep regression” shows a series of contradictory suggestions, and looking at things like sleep training techniques are harder to pull off because we are not in some enormous American house (what’s a nursery? :v: ).

It’s almost 4 am my time and I’ve been up since 2:30. Send help.

It might seem counterintuitive but have you tried putting her down earlier? I remember around that age chatting with a coworker who had a baby at the same time as me, and she had the same problem until she started putting hers down at like 6:30. We had more of an issue with multiple wakeups rather than staying up for a while each time, but moving from an 8pm bedtime to 7pm has mostly worked. As long as she's not sick. Or teething. Or the moon is in the wrong phase.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Emily Spinach posted:

It might seem counterintuitive but have you tried putting her down earlier?

There’s been a couple times when she’s crashed around 7 pm in the last 4-6 weeks and pops up at 3 am for a feeding. We’ve tried to counter that by topping up with a bottle (5 pm food feeding / bath / 7-8 pm bottle before bed) the last couple days.

quote:

As long as she's not sick. Or teething. Or the moon is in the wrong phase.

Guess what I noticed popping through the other day :shepface:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

harperdc posted:

Ms 9 Months is hitting some kind of serious sleep regression.

Usual bedtime pattern is put her down about 8-8:30 pm, but the last couple weeks she’s been waking up in the middle of the night somewhere from 2-3 am. The routine has been to get a bottle and then use the carrier until she no longer pops out of sleep once she’s in the crib, but as this takes on average an hour, yours truly is getting some atrocious sleep.

Oh, and did I mention it’s always me taking care of this nighttime fun? Thanks dear.

Searching for “9-month sleep regression” shows a series of contradictory suggestions, and looking at things like sleep training techniques are harder to pull off because we are not in some enormous American house (what’s a nursery? :v: ).

It’s almost 4 am my time and I’ve been up since 2:30. Send help.

My 16 month old seems to hit a sleep regression every other month, though it seems to be precipitated by illness or travel or teeth or something.

The thing that has helped us the most was sleep training. Two nights of pure hell but now when we lay our kid down she can usually stay asleep and soothe herself back to sleep if she does wake in the middle of the night.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

harperdc posted:

There’s been a couple times when she’s crashed around 7 pm in the last 4-6 weeks and pops up at 3 am for a feeding. We’ve tried to counter that by topping up with a bottle (5 pm food feeding / bath / 7-8 pm bottle before bed) the last couple days.

Guess what I noticed popping through the other day :shepface:

Yer almost there! After the 9mo sleep regression is where ours went to sleep consistently through the night.

Absolutely dose that kid for teething discomfort, it does wonders to help them sleep through it.

Edit: I’d also agree with the earlier bedtime thing. We tried 8pm but switched to 7pm. Our baby has a precision 1 hour sleep cycle and at first they would usually wake up at 8pm ready to go, but learned fairly quick to just put her head back down and doze off. Sleep begets more sleep as our pediatrician told us.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 3, 2023

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
3.5 year old, in a very serious tone, as I’m tucking her in for bed:
“Mama, I have something I need to tell you.”
Me, thinking something bad is upsetting her, “Ok sweetie, you can tell me anything.”
She heaves a heavy sigh, “I love unicorns.”

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Brave

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Two year old has molars coming in and or is sick. Two days of fevers and tantrums and Tylenol.

Currently up at 2:43AM watching Moana. He slept from 10-1. I haven’t gotten to sleep yet. Tomorrow is my first day back at work since before Christmas, it’s gonna suck.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
2.5 year old woke up at 1:30am and is wide awake talking about farm animals on repeat so

space uncle posted:

Tomorrow is my first day back at work since before Christmas, it’s gonna suck.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Tom Smykowski posted:

2.5 year old woke up at 1:30am and is wide awake talking about farm animals on repeat so

I think I’m just gonna take a sick day.

Kid fell asleep on a pillow on the tile floor at 3, then like a loving total idiot I picked him up and tried to put him in his crib. The second he detected downward motion into the crib he snapped from dead asleep to kicking and screaming to save his life.

Next time the kid is spending the whole night on the cold tile. Jesus gently caress.

Now the new strategy is that he uses my beer gut for a pillow on the couch. This obviously doesn’t really allow me to sleep.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Tom Smykowski posted:

I’m sorry for you but I’m glad (?) my kid (same age) isn’t the only one who pulls this act (in our case, it’s usually talking about Curious George)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m watching an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that is pretty clearly ripped off of Rocky Horror Picture Show and I don’t know how to feel about it.

It’s currently the kids’ favorite episode though so I’ll have plenty of opportunity to figure out where I stand.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It was great when it all began
I was a regular Mickey fan
But it was over when he had the plan
To start working on a Goofy man

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

They Might Be Giants did the theme for the Mikey Mouse Clubhouse!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BadSamaritan posted:

I’m watching an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that is pretty clearly ripped off of Rocky Horror Picture Show and I don’t know how to feel about it.

It’s currently the kids’ favorite episode though so I’ll have plenty of opportunity to figure out where I stand.

Is that the weird musical Halloween thing? My niece was watching it and I had the same exact thought haha

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

hallo spacedog posted:

Is that the weird musical Halloween thing? My niece was watching it and I had the same exact thought haha

yes that is the one

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

dismas posted:

I’m sorry for you but I’m glad (?) my kid (same age) isn’t the only one who pulls this act (in our case, it’s usually talking about Curious George)

Parental solidarity forged in the struggle of "just go the hell to sleep goddamn"

Edit: my kid is chipper and active this morning and has decided that it's a good time to jump off the couch. Sorry downstairs neighbors :tootzzz:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

dismas posted:

Same age and we sometimes get a few songs at 1:30AM before falls back asleep. Last night was Jingle Car, it is like Jingle Bells but you replace random words with "car".

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Is it bad that I did a fist pump in my car after I dropped the twins off for daycare this morning after their Christmas break?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My wife just took my 3yo to daycare, and I feel the same. Though, at the same time, I already miss her.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have spent all morning freaking out thinking someone hacked my poshmark account yesterday and made a purchase but then I realized…it was made at the time my 2 year old was playing with my phone (he likes looking at pictures of himself). I feel like a huge dumbass.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Never ever gonna let my son press buttons on this phone.

.... So what did the baby order?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Mind_Taker posted:

Is it bad that I did a fist pump in my car after I dropped the twins off for daycare this morning after their Christmas break?

Not at all

We have a snow day and I am so pissed.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

Never ever gonna let my son press buttons on this phone.

.... So what did the baby order?

He bought me a cute dice pouch. Could have been worse!!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, hard to be mad at a baby with good tastes. Perfect crime

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.

remigious posted:

He bought me a cute dice pouch. Could have been worse!!

My daughter bought me an Instapot once. I think she grabbed my phone just as I set it down. It got returned.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shifty Pony posted:

Same age and we sometimes get a few songs at 1:30AM before falls back asleep. Last night was Jingle Car, it is like Jingle Bells but you replace random words with "car".

My daughter likes to sing a similar song, called "jingle egg". I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to extrapolate those lyrics from given context.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hello parenting thread, here is a problem in my house that i am not sure how to approach.

in 2021 (i almost said last year but it's 2023 now wowie) my wife lost a pregnancy about 13 weeks in. we don't know why for sure but suspect that it was due to her getting pretty sick, something she caught from our son that he got in daycare. needless to say this was a very traumatic and upsetting experience. when she got pregnant again last april, she was extremely nervous about losing the pregnancy, and her obgyn basically told her to take it easy for the duration of the pregnancy. as a result, she wouldn't pick up our son - he's heavy as hell! - and i had to do all of his diaper changes because he kicks. any time he got sick, she basically quarantined herself in our bedroom so as not to get infected. because she couldn't/wouldn't pick him up, i did all of his overnight wakeups. i did all of his bedtime ritual stuff (singing, reading, storytime). all bathtime. etc. basically all active parenting. i didn't and don't mind doing all of this, i love my son very much and i wanted my wife to have as easy a pregnancy as possible, but it has led to a rather unfortunate situation.

basically, my son is extremely attached to me now. he only seeks me out for comfort, and he will actively refuse attention/comfort from his mother. if he falls down and gets hurt, he runs right to me. if he wakes up in the middle of the night, he cries for me. if he gets upset at daycare, he cries for me. when he was sick during christmas, he only wanted to sit in my lap and would refuse to be held by either of his grandparents. all of that close interaction with a sick toddler led to me getting sick last week, and i couldn't even take a nap or a break from him (except during his naptime) because he would scream his head off if i wasn't close by and accessible.

what do i do here? from a practical standpoint i am still needing to do the bulk of the care for my son because my wife is taking care of a month old baby, but once things stabilize in a few months or so, how do we go about re-establishing some kind of better balance? i'm sure hearing "go away mommy" is hurtful to my wife, i'd like something of a break from having to do 100% of taking care of my son, and i'd also like to be able to actually take care of and bond with my daughter. sorry if any of this is unclear.

e: oh also i guess it would make a lot of sense to say how old my son is!!! he is two years and nine months old.

lobster shirt fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 3, 2023

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

lobster shirt posted:

only 1 parent matters

I am interested in takes on this as well. Our first child goes to mommy for everything, daddy (me) can't do pretty much anything for her. If my wife is away she is fine with me but if mommy is around only mommy will do. Normally I would say this is just a phase and she'll grow out of it, but baby #2 is coming this April and I am going to have to take lead on our first child. How have you all gotten your kid to let one parent do things with them when they have an obvious preference for the other parent?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My kid was extremely attached to me until about 28 months or so. We basically forced it to where my partner would do daycare dropoff/pickup without me and do fun activities like park and outside time without me as well. It helped quite a bit but you'll have to absorb the tantrums along the way unfortunately, I'm not sure there's any way to get around that. Although now she very specifically needs each parent to do certain things so uh I guess it's all down to temperament and nothing loving matters. Now if I go to pick up her from daycare it looks like I'm kidnapping her because she throws an absolute howler of a tantrum. But when she wakes up at night who does she call for? loving me, every single time.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

He can now open the gates.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
When you know the two year old was playing in the corner with crayons but you forgot that’s the corner with a heating duct. At least my wife can stop asking me if I’m sure that the air coming from the heater is hot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Muir posted:

When you know the two year old was playing in the corner with crayons but you forgot that’s the corner with a heating duct. At least my wife can stop asking me if I’m sure that the air coming from the heater is hot.

Oooh nooooooo

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the worst part will be when kiddo wants to color with green or blue and you don’t have them because they melted.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
1am… desperately googling Ferber method and sleep training.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shifty Pony posted:

He can now open the gates.

gotta go Marc maron on their rear end

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mind_Taker posted:

We kept our son home from daycare yesterday because our daughter's school wasn't open until Wednesday (today); wanted to give him one more day with his sister before she went back to horsehumper's house and the 50/50 schedule resumes next week. The reward for that was him waking us up at 4.30 this morning.

Once the kids are dropped off i'm coming home to take a loving nap before my first remote meeting of the day.

In short, no. You are not alone in feeling that way.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Got my toddler out of the car at daycare just now and she happily says "it's Friday!" And I'm like no, it's Wednesday. And she just starts bawling. I feel you, kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Koivunen posted:

1am… desperately googling Ferber method and sleep training.

This was me two nights ago, last night, and also right now :smithicide: