Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Anno posted:

I’ve been out of the fantasy novel game since book two of the Stormlight Archive (so….2014?) but want to get back in. Sanderson stuff aside, any suggestions on books that have come out since then? Especially if they’re of the “epic fantasy” series sort.

The Mage Errant series is fun. The basic premise is "outcast kid goes to mage school and discover awesome magical powers and also the power of friendship," but it's well executed and it goes interesting places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Anno posted:

I’ve been out of the fantasy novel game since book two of the Stormlight Archive (so….2014?) but want to get back in. Sanderson stuff aside, any suggestions on books that have come out since then? Especially if they’re of the “epic fantasy” series sort.

Graydon Saunder's Commonweal books are very popular here.

There's a thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Anno posted:

Most of the fantasy action is urban fantasy these days -- Rivers of London, etc. Dresden Files were king poo poo of that mountain for a while but have tapered off in quality lately.

The two best recent fantasy novels I know of are Between Two Fires and Library at Mount Char but they're both one offs.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ll take a look at all those. Thanks folks!

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

OneMoreTime posted:

Hey everyone!

My girlfriend has really gotten into cozy murder mysteries, specifically a lot of Agatha Christie and the like and I wanted to get her something similar this Christmas that we could both read through. Basically, the type of murder mystery that isn't too grisly and noir but still rather suspenseful. Doesn't necessarily have to be a one-off either, a series recommendation would also be nice. Much appreciated in advance!

That's my mom's favorite genre, and she loves Sue Grafton.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm looking for a "warts and all" biography of the Beatles. The more comprehensive the better, interested in the whole history from the Quarrymen to present day. Particularly interested in topics of drug use and romanctic involvements, both positive and negative. Not too interested in biographies that ignore those aspects, gloss over them, or only talk about the good.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Heran Bago posted:

I'm looking for a "warts and all" biography of the Beatles. The more comprehensive the better, interested in the whole history from the Quarrymen to present day. Particularly interested in topics of drug use and romanctic involvements, both positive and negative. Not too interested in biographies that ignore those aspects, gloss over them, or only talk about the good.

The answer should be All These Years by Mark Lewisohn, but there is currently only one volume, taking us to the end of 1962 (in 1700 pages). Still, Lewisohn is by far the most comprehensive Beatles-writer alive, and maybe the next volume will be out by the time you're ready for it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bandiet posted:

The answer should be All These Years by Mark Lewisohn, but there is currently only one volume, taking us to the end of 1962 (in 1700 pages). Still, Lewisohn is by far the most comprehensive Beatles-writer alive, and maybe the next volume will be out by the time you're ready for it.

This sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thank you.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

OneMoreTime posted:

Hey everyone!

My girlfriend has really gotten into cozy murder mysteries, specifically a lot of Agatha Christie and the like and I wanted to get her something similar this Christmas that we could both read through. Basically, the type of murder mystery that isn't too grisly and noir but still rather suspenseful. Doesn't necessarily have to be a one-off either, a series recommendation would also be nice. Much appreciated in advance!

Not always murder mysteries but I bet she'd like Robert Harris. Idk about his newer stuff but everything he wrote before 2010 is good.

e: also John Grisham. Neither are as "good" as Agatha Christie but they're suspenseful page turners.

E2: was bugging me for days. P D James is good

distortion park fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 7, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

I have a sort of odd request: please recommend to me your favorite books under 300 pages.

There have been some great answers already - I'd add A Wizard of Earthsea (and the rest of the series individually)

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What are some good prison books in non-totalitarian societies?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FPyat posted:

Woman On the Edge of Time sounds like it fits to me

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

FPyat posted:

I'm not sure if you think 1960s Nigeria qualifies at totalitarian, but Wole Soyinka's The Man Died is a very good prison memoir.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FPyat posted:

In non-totalitarian societies, you can read any book in prison.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hello friends does anyone have a reccomendation for a nonfiction about egyptian mummies? or even mummies around the world too but im particularly interested in egyptian ones

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wink wink

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thread, I want zombie survival novels. Zombie books. Books about zombies.

What I've read/heard of:

- World War Z (fascinating, fun, deeply flawed)
- Lilith Saintcrow's Roadtrip Z (platonic ideal imho)
- Mira Grant's zombie novels
- Girl with all the gifts
- White Trash Zombie series by Rowland
- Zone One

Specifically I'm in the mood for generic "zombies are breaking out / have broken out, and now we must survive!", hopefully with a theme of humans teaming up. I'm down with series, kindle unlimited, anything, as long as it's cool zombies. (I'm also down for less generic stuff, but not as much?)

I'm also listening to Zombies, Run! on my iphone as a fitness app, and I adore zombie games ala Project Zomboid, State of Decay 2, Days Gone, and so on.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StrixNebulosa posted:

You might or might not appreciate Ex-Heroes, which is basically "what if zombies but also superheroes"?

https://www.amazon.com/Ex-Heroes-Novel-Peter-Clines-ebook/dp/B00AKJFEOS/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The horror book thread has several good ones in the OP

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

FPyat posted:

I have no idea if this is what you're going for, as they're all non-fiction, but I 'enjoyed' all of the following:

- Live from Death Row by Mumia Abu-Jamal (been in prison for 40 years, a good chunk of that on death row, Black Panther activist)
- Are prisons obsolete? by Angela Davis (think this speaks for itself?)
- Bang up and Smash by Anonymous (sort of a survival guide for women's prisons in the UK, but worth reading even if you're not a) a woman b) in the UK or c) likely to go to prison)

On a different note, I'm looking for some of those fun, reference-style hardback books about unexplained mysteries (UFOs, Mary Celeste, crytpids etc.) for children-ish. For my son, who loves books like this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59709608-monsters?ref=nav_sb_ss_1_34 because they are engaging and informative and about folklore and weirdness.
The kind that might talk about the same stuff as an episode of Lore but a bit more accessible for children without being too dumbed down.
Any suggestions?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

crazyvanman posted:

I have no idea if this is what you're going for, as they're all non-fiction, but I 'enjoyed' all of the following:

- Live from Death Row by Mumia Abu-Jamal (been in prison for 40 years, a good chunk of that on death row, Black Panther activist)
- Are prisons obsolete? by Angela Davis (think this speaks for itself?)
- Bang up and Smash by Anonymous (sort of a survival guide for women's prisons in the UK, but worth reading even if you're not a) a woman b) in the UK or c) likely to go to prison)

On a different note, I'm looking for some of those fun, reference-style hardback books about unexplained mysteries (UFOs, Mary Celeste, crytpids etc.) for children-ish. For my son, who loves books like this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59709608-monsters?ref=nav_sb_ss_1_34 because they are engaging and informative and about folklore and weirdness.
The kind that might talk about the same stuff as an episode of Lore but a bit more accessible for children without being too dumbed down.
Any suggestions?

"After Man" by Dougal Dixon, of course. My son was utterly obsessed with it for a number of years, I had to read the whole thing aloud at least three times.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

yaffle posted:

"After Man" by Dougal Dixon, of course. My son was utterly obsessed with it for a number of years, I had to read the whole thing aloud at least three times.

This looks great! Thank you. I've seen an early 2000s National Geographic (I think?) mini-series on this, but hadn't heard of this book. It's on the list, cheers.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I want a philosophical Western that also has some violence.

I read Blood Meridian and All The Pretty Horses, so no more Cormac but something similar would be great, or like Deadwood

Feel free to mock me but give me a good recommendation too, I know nothing about westerns

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

escape artist posted:

I read Blood Meridian and All The Pretty Horses, so no more Cormac but something similar would be great, or like Deadwood

Feel free to mock me but give me a good recommendation too, I know nothing about westerns

Brimstone, The Propisition (maybe)

edit: oops i thought this was the movie reccomendation thread sorry. Theres some movies for ya if youre into that vibe tho

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

escape artist posted:

Try Warlock by Oakley Hall. It helped inspire Deadwood.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Have you tried the Lord Peter Wimsey or Campion books?

We did Strong Poison a while back as BotM and it'd be a good one for a couple read.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983771

Hey, just wanted to thank both you and Rand Brittain for the book recs. I ended up getting a couple of my girlfriend and her mom (Strong Poison and Crocodile in the Sandbank) and they both loved them, with both books being finished within days!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Glad to hear they were a success!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Another Book Bran success!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

escape artist posted:

I still like Lonesome Dove a whole lot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have been swapping between Sci Fi and fantasy series for the past few months burning through books and I've hit a little bit of a wall after I worked through much of my kindle reccs.

Stuff I've read and really enjoyed in the last year or so:
Malazan Series (re-read)
Red Rising series
Gideon the 9th (couldn't do the 2nd book and gave up)
Black Tongue Thief (enjoyed this more than anything in years)
Pretty much all of Christopher Buehlman's bibliography
Both series and what's out of the third by John Gwynne
The first two books of the Pariah/Matryr Series
Expanse series
Project Hail Mary
R Scott Bakker's books - some of these were a slog though

I also just recently tried to get into the Sun Eater series but found it pretty tedious after the first book and I'm cutting bait on it.

Also read the standard high points ASOIAF, Wheel of time, Dune etc.

I read for the escape mostly and I don't care if it's super high brow philosophical naval gazing or violent horror shlock as long as its entertaining.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What I've read/heard of:

- Zone One

Specifically I'm in the mood for generic "zombies are breaking out / have broken out, and now we must survive!", hopefully with a theme of humans teaming up. I'm down with series, kindle unlimited, anything, as long as it's cool zombies. (I'm also down for less generic stuff, but not as much?)

I'm also listening to Zombies, Run! on my iphone as a fitness app, and I adore zombie games ala Project Zomboid, State of Decay 2, Days Gone, and so on.

Have you checked out the rising books by Briane Keene? Has a little bit of a different take - Zombies including animal and insect zombies come about as a result of a collider experiment opening a portal to allow demons to possesses the bodies of the dead. So Zombies, but talking zombies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BlindSite posted:

I have been swapping between Sci Fi and fantasy series for the past few months burning through books and I've hit a little bit of a wall after I worked through much of my kindle reccs.

Malazan Series (re-read)
Red Rising series
Expanse series
Project Hail Mary

I also just recently tried to get into the Sun Eater series but found it pretty tedious after the first book and I'm cutting bait on it.

I read for the escape mostly and I don't care if it's super high brow philosophical naval gazing or violent horror shlock as long as its entertaining.

Gaunt's Ghosts sounds perfect for you. Sci-fi military series about a scout recon unit that keeps getting thrown into the toughest battles of a decades-long war against an army of extremely evil guys. A lot of stuff about the day to day annoyances of military life, but also stuff like they can't look too closely at the graffiti left behind by enemy forces because their symbols can literally hurt your soul.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Gaunt's Ghosts sounds perfect for you. Sci-fi military series about a scout recon unit that keeps getting thrown into the toughest battles of a decades-long war against an army of extremely evil guys. A lot of stuff about the day to day annoyances of military life, but also stuff like they can't look too closely at the graffiti left behind by enemy forces because their symbols can literally hurt your soul.

Sold!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BlindSite posted:

Malazan Series (re-read)
Red Rising series
Expanse series
Project Hail Mary

Have you checked out the rising books by Briane Keene? Has a little bit of a different take - Zombies including animal and insect zombies come about as a result of a collider experiment opening a portal to allow demons to possesses the bodies of the dead. So Zombies, but talking zombies.

Sounds like you read very similar things to me. Someone here recommended Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. It is loving fantastic and I recommend checking that out.

Thanks for the rec, gentle recommender

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looking for some gritty fantasy akin to Joe Abercrombie and Ed McDonald.

Anything similar out there?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

What I've read/heard of:

- Zone One

Try Keith Blackmore’s Mountain Man series.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

RCarr posted:

Looking for some gritty fantasy akin to Joe Abercrombie and Ed McDonald.

Anything similar out there?

Based on an earlier recommendation I'm almost done with Between Two Fires after looking for the same and it's been absolutely great. In fact, I came here to report that I'm loving the book and see what else folks might recommend.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Based on an earlier recommendation I'm almost done with Between Two Fires after looking for the same and it's been absolutely great. In fact, I came here to report that I'm loving the book and see what else folks might recommend.

Have you read North American Lake Monsters? I think I liked it for the same reason I liked Between Two Fires.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

tuyop posted:

Sounds like you read very similar things to me. Someone here recommended Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. It is loving fantastic and I recommend checking that out.

Thanks for the rec, gentle recommender

Added to the list. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know of any horror titles that take place on the ocean?