Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gambrinus posted:

I've never watched a YouTube short in my life, but I keep getting recommended one about a pretty blonde lass that plays for West Ham (can't remember her name). I have no interest in West Ham and aren't signed into YouTube on the TV so no idea where they get that from.

Perhaps it's a popular video so as you're not logged in it's just giving you that.

Guavanaut posted:

I get big divorced dads vibes, like men who are less about some wannabe Chad saying "you got to get swole and cocky and buy these supplements to get pussy" and more a pretty lady reassuring them "college educated women end 300% of relationships because feminism teaches them to hate the family", but I can see crossover with the more 'intellectual' incel and, far worse, with young men who have been told to listen to women when it comes to dating advice but don't yet have a working terrible advice filter (although it's probably a bit boring for them).

That makes sense hoovering up those MRAs and the MGTOW people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
YouTube's algo has always been weird I think. I stick to hobby stuff mainly and it's fine but the other day accidentally watched a sky news clip about the racist palace person and then the algo decides that it should recommend me a load of GBNews videos featuring Farage from Innsmouth.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I will never watch a YouTube short. I have that poo poo blocked.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I don't want to click that video but I would like to know why he thinks he's grounding his bed.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

keep punching joe posted:

I will never watch a YouTube short. I have that poo poo blocked.

My friend, this Chrome extension converts them all to regular videos.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I was scathing of everyone in my 'anonymous' corporate survey bollocks, then I quit.

I remember when the brass found out about tracing email addresses and the MS accounts of people via MS Forms, then suddenly we have all these "tell us what you really think" surveys made in MS Forms come out. Corporate culture can lick my balls.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
When i saw YouTube shorts come up on my screen I thought "OK ill give this a go, see what they got" and clicked the first one. It was a 20 second clip of a boat slowly going under a bridge without incident

It remains, to this day, the only short I've watched

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

I don't want to click that video but I would like to know why he thinks he's grounding his bed.

There is a whole bunch of weird ideas floating around about electricity, if I had to pick one I would guess it is the "I need to be grounded at all times or the electrical buildup will make me ill, our ancestors walked everywhere barefoot and this is why ancient people were so healthy, but I don't want to sleep on the ground so I am going to plug myself into the wall to fix it"

Generally though you can find just about any belief about electricity and how it will harm you in mysterious ways, and also possibly how it is good and if you ionize your drinking water just right it will make you live forever.

The general theme though is post-hoc justifications for why modernity bad and why we must return to monke except none of them are actual coherent critiques of reality and instead it's just the illuminati trying to keep you docile by stopping you rubbing your feet on nature.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I watched the video and he doesn't explain... maybe he thinks he'll be struck by lightning in his sleep? Also he isn't grounding his bed, he's decided to put a strip of conductive material underneath himself in bed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The youtube shorts UI sucks and there's no reason for it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Its not even the video format and the likes etc in the video that I don't like. Its just the garbage content.
I go to youtube to watch long format stuff. I have no interest in watching 10 seconds clips on it but with a lot of things google these days, you can't turn it off.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can still walk around barefoot outside if you like. When I lived in the Arctic I knew a guy who did it even in the winter sometimes, you'd run into him in town and he'd stand there for a chat with his bare feet in the snow. Still had all his toes somehow.

e: he carried a pair of slippers to wear indoors, he wasn't an animal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's an extremely important reason: tiktok is eating youtube's lunch and by jove they will be ready the moment the US bans tiktok for national security* reasons.

* China man bad

** but also the app is apparently a data harvesting nightmare so this but unironically

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I watched the video and he doesn't explain... maybe he thinks he'll be struck by lightning in his sleep? Also he isn't grounding his bed, he's decided to put a strip of conductive material underneath himself in bed.

Yes that is why I am going with the "I need to be personally, literally, grounded as much as possible" explanation.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I remember this dilemma last time I was in a Proper Job. We had this wretched 'engagement' survey to complete every few months and they always said you should answer with regard to your direct line management but many of us felt that this would give a misleading impression to the inhabitants of The Tower of Power. There didn't seem to be any way of indicating that while we may have been totally happy with your own line manager, we were enormously dissatisfied with the ToP bods.

Exactly the same here, so I assume it's intentional and only serves to keep middle management in the crab bucket

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Yes that is why I am going with the "I need to be personally, literally, grounded as much as possible" explanation.

they told me to ground my axioms so I made sure I me atoms was grounded

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Dabir posted:

The youtube shorts UI sucks and there's no reason for it

I think it keeps people on the doom scrolling. If you ever want to stop a YouTube shorts binge, just scroll up a few videos. Immediately kills the flow. Something like seeking controls would result in similar desynchronization, I think.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I loving hate how they remove the volume control on desktop. WHY?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

There's an extremely important reason: tiktok is eating youtube's lunch and by jove they will be ready the moment the US bans tiktok for national security* reasons.

* China man bad

** but also the app is apparently a data harvesting nightmare so this but unironically

Tiktok did a 4gb update last night on a friend's phone without asking, in the background, while they were out of the house and WiFi range. Now they need to spend an extra £20 this month on data.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That sucks but it's also user error for not disabling app updates while on mobile data.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

That makes sense hoovering up those MRAs and the MGTOW people.
Just watched one this morning because I hate my free time apparently, and she literally says "feminism is designed to keep women scared to benefit capital, while men are forced to work in drudgery."

Like miss (ms? probably not) you just named the problem there and it's not feminism. It's the other ism.

Scaredism :allears:

Reveilled posted:

YouTube believes I am deeply interested in shorts about chess, science, comedy skits based on language
This sounds a lot more like what I'd actually like to watch.

OwlFancier posted:

and this is why ancient people were so healthy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ua-WVg1SsA

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Tiktok did a 4gb update last night on a friend's phone without asking, in the background, while they were out of the house and WiFi range. Now they need to spend an extra £20 this month on data.

How tf does tiktok need four loving gigs?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I watch lots of YouTube shorts of animals being dumbasses. The keen editing is a boon

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

It doesn’t, the whole app is under 400mb

It’ll take up a ton of local storage as you watch videos since it caches them but it would be insane for it to decide to download 4gb of random videos in the background all by itself

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Not TikTok but Wechat has been extremely hilarious in storing multiple gigabytes of encrypted data out of maybe 100KB worth of text chats I did on it.

I haven't used it for a while since I know better now.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

No idea, but the app itself says it used 4 gigs of data in under 12 hours which I didn't even think was possible, but here we are.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Videos are big. Spend a few hours idly scrolling it and not on wifi and you’ll burn through 4gb in 4-5 hours easily.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

domhal posted:

One curious case of YouTuber madness is Wranglerstar, who used to post interesting but possibly anachronistic US Forestry Service tool maintenance shorts but has recently descended into or revealed an astonishing level of sovcit/prepper madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJWvd_JWevE

Oh i remember watching him years ago. :)

He's lost the bloody plot, i pity his family tbh they were nice.

I stopped once he started doing bible readings... i assume they will end up in the same quanon mess in time. :ughh:

edit: spelling

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 3, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

That sucks but it's also user error for not disabling app updates while on mobile data.

Also you should be able to set a mobile data cap so that if it does happen it'll cut off before bankrupting you.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

History Comes Inside! posted:

Videos are big. Spend a few hours idly scrolling it and not on wifi and you’ll burn through 4gb in 4-5 hours easily.

My wife's infinite scrolling of annoying Instagram videos exceeds the loving Netflix traffic on our connection. It's ridiculous.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

When I'm suggesting what data allowances people should look for on their mobiles or tablets etc, I reckon on 1GB per hour if they plan on watching videos - whether youtubes or streaming episodes of Law & Order, Midsomer Murders or zoom calls. Whatsapp, Facetime, Messenger are more like about 300MB per hour so say 1GB per 3 hours.
Video gobbles up data at an amazing rate.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

It was a background data download, they hadn't even used tiktok for more than like 20 minutes that day iirc

Microplastics posted:

Also you should be able to set a mobile data cap so that if it does happen it'll cut off before bankrupting you.

that's been done now as well as deleting tiktok out of spite. Lesson learned, but those things should really be on by default imo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

My wife's infinite scrolling of annoying Instagram videos exceeds the loving Netflix traffic on our connection. It's ridiculous.
My wife had a phase of watching TikTok for literally hours at a time, just one garish and shouty video after another. I spend way too long on SA, but this was another level, algorhythmically-determined shite being firehosed at her. Thankfully she's deleted it now, but since everyone and their dog are adding TikTok clones to their apps, this especially godawful and manipulative way of consuming media (and having ads pushed at you) seems to be here to stay.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This is basically the only website I visit now.

This and The National for my daily download of #TeamNicola nonsense.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I'm suggesting what data allowances people should look for on their mobiles or tablets etc, I reckon on 1GB per hour if they plan on watching videos - whether youtubes or streaming episodes of Law & Order, Midsomer Murders or zoom calls. Whatsapp, Facetime, Messenger are more like about 300MB per hour so say 1GB per 3 hours.
Video gobbles up data at an amazing rate.

I managed to burn through 2GB of data on a 1 hour meeting because they used some stupid not-Zoom app and I forgot to turn on my wifi.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

This sounds a lot more like what I'd actually like to watch.

I can tell you it thinks I like chess because I watch videos by Gothamchess and chess simp, and the shorts it serves me on science are from Action Lab, NileRed, SciShow and Hank Green.

Don’t know who the language skit guy is but it’s mostly about the differences between French and english.

So if you want to influence YouTube in that direction, try subscriptions in that direction. In my experience though the best way to train YouTube’s algorithm on you is to internalise its metric. It doesn’t care if you like or hate the content it shows you, it cares whether you keep watching. So you can train the algorithm by responding to videos you don’t like by closing YouTube and going to do something else for a while. Even clicking off the video and watching something else can be interpreted as positive for your overall watch time. There’s options to say not to recommend a channel any more, but I’m personally suspicious that YouTube’s black box could actually interpret that as “engagement” and try showing you similar content from other creators in an effort to get you to stay on the platform longer telling it to stop showing you those videos. The absolute strongest signal you can send the algorithm negatively is just to stop watching YouTube in response to a video.

Conversely, if it recommends you an actual good video from a creator you’ve never heard of, subscribing, commenting, or watching more of that person’s videos right away (especially if that’s YouTube’s next recommendation) tells YouTube that was a correct guess.

There’s a weirdly distopian element to this all that I have to calculatively manipulate a computer’s opinion of me is in order to improve the quality of my entertainment, but I’d say it has broadly worked—I think I could count on one hand the number of times in the last five years YouTube has tried recommending me an alt-right influencer—it knows.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’ve deleted my tik tok now but all i had were footie videos and chinese people making traditional clay teapots by hand

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

It doesn’t, the whole app is under 400mb

It’ll take up a ton of local storage as you watch videos since it caches them but it would be insane for it to decide to download 4gb of random videos in the background all by itself

Apparently the android version is only 90mb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

I've realised that because I can read a lot faster than anyone can talk, if I want information I generally go to text-based sites. So most of my online time is spent in places like SA, Wikipedia, Digg, Slashdot...

Which I guess is why my wife gets annoyed that I don't watch the videos she sends me links to, when I'd rather just have a transcript I can read in two minutes instead of watching in ten.