Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Also keep in mind that some of the collections are actually more expensive than just straight up buying the precursor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Mr. Neutron posted:

Also keep in mind that some of the collections are actually more expensive than just straight up buying the precursor.

For all of the gen 1 legendaries, you are better off buying the precursor if gold is your main concern. For gen 3 it is much cheaper to craft.

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/legendaries has the comparisons.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So, I lost a gift of exploration. I had it on an alt that I deleted. When I contacted customer support, they asked for proof which I don't exactly have any of. But that's not the reason for this post. The reason is to complain about way too many hearts in the classic maps. I'm working through Snowden Drifts right now and I've just completed 4 hearts that are nearly identical: kill icebrood or wolves. They're all right next to waypoints and all within walking distance of eachother. We handwave this stuff away as being designed pre-mounts, but the devs clearly knew nobody was walking from one heart to another, or else why would the zone have 19 waypoints? Anyways I'm gonna pace my world completion because this is so mind numbing. I figure 1-2 zones a day and I'll be done in around 2 weeks. What do you think is the worst culprit of this? Whats the worst classic zone map?

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 2, 2023

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Worst hearts are the ones where you DONT kill stuff and have to do something else.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Also, the lack of mounts is also why there are so many waaypoints?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Meskhenet posted:

Worst hearts are the ones where you DONT kill stuff and have to do something else.

In fact there should usually be some events happening near those hearts spawning a bunch of stuff to kill iirc?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Core map hearts are terrible and I wouldn't hate to see them cut or removed. To balance this, Gifts of Exploration will again require WvW map completion :getin:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What? No, they're great! They're pretty mindless, but that's what I like about them. I used to do a lot of them just to chill out.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The Wintersday earmuffs skin is available for only 25 gems right now if you want a deal on some holiday fashion!

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

whydirt posted:

The Wintersday earmuffs skin is available for only 25 gems right now if you want a deal on some holiday fashion!

less than 10 gold if you convert it!

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

AmbientParadox posted:

So, I lost a gift of exploration. I had it on an alt that I deleted. When I contacted customer support, they asked for proof which I don't exactly have any of. But that's not the reason for this post. The reason is to complain about way too many hearts in the classic maps. I'm working through Snowden Drifts right now and I've just completed 4 hearts that are nearly identical: kill icebrood or wolves. They're all right next to waypoints and all within walking distance of eachother. We handwave this stuff away as being designed pre-mounts, but the devs clearly knew nobody was walking from one heart to another, or else why would the zone have 19 waypoints? Anyways I'm gonna pace my world completion because this is so mind numbing. I figure 1-2 zones a day and I'll be done in around 2 weeks. What do you think is the worst culprit of this? Whats the worst classic zone map?

To 100%? Lornar's pass

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
It will never happen because I'm sure it'd be a ton of work, but I'd love to see the jade lantern system backported to core Tyria.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I've been playing this for a few months now, and man I'm so conflicted about some of the design choices. On the whole I love it, it's super fun to explore, the classes all seem fun to play, environment design is often fantastic.

But it just feels as though they have all these big ideas for encounters and story beats, which the game engine is simply not robust enough to handle. I often feel like I cannot parse what's going on in an encounter because there's just too many things happening, and the feedback isn't there. On a number of occasions I've just died for no apparent reason. Everything can feel so messy!

The big boss fight at the end of... I think Path of Fire? was almost comical in how many visual effects were going off. It also went on way too long, which is the case for a lot of the story missions. And some of the achievements seem like fun little alternate ways to play, but most of them are either stupidly difficult, or extremely buggy to the point I've just started ignoring them.

I don't mean to be too negative, as like I said I love the game generally! It just feels like it could be so much better with some restraint, and just a bit more clarity and feedback with combat especially.

I also kinda love the achievement system, although again it feels very weirdly implemented. For me it acts more like a quest log, with lots of interesting little treasure hunts and reasons to revisit stuff and dig a little deeper into the game. But the menu for browsing achievements is very difficult to use, with cool stuff just buried away in nested menus. Overhauling this into more of a quest log type interface I feel would massively improve things, although I understand this would be a huge amount of work considering how complex and layered the achievement system is.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

HampHamp posted:

I also kinda love the achievement system, although again it feels very weirdly implemented. For me it acts more like a quest log, with lots of interesting little treasure hunts and reasons to revisit stuff and dig a little deeper into the game. But the menu for browsing achievements is very difficult to use, with cool stuff just buried away in nested menus. Overhauling this into more of a quest log type interface I feel would massively improve things, although I understand this would be a huge amount of work considering how complex and layered the achievement system is.

I've always felt that they could use another sub-category layer for some of the achievement categories. There's like 48 achievement groups under the Story Journal category, it would feel a lot better if they could be sub-categorized into expansion/living story release groups.

There's also some inconsistency that's just kind of odd. There's an achievement group for Legendary Backpacks, but only the PvE one is there. The PvP backpack collection is under Competitive, and the WvW one doesn't use achievements at all.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

They really need clear, customisable colour coding for enemy attacks. By now half of them are indistinguishable from some of the newer allied AoE effects.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Most of what drives me up a wall now is the basic stuff everyone probably learned over the last decade. Like videos show a million circles on the ground, but I don't make circles. Should I be making circles? Does mech not have circles, and does that make it bad? Videos say boons are good, which seems obvious, but I don't generate alacrity/quickness so I should switch to something that does? Can mechs heal reasonably well or do I need to roll a separate class for a defensive support? If everyone is supposed to stand in the pretty circles why am I ranged? Where do I go to find out what to do for gold, and are those places even available without a given LW unlocked?

A lot of these will be answered with "maybe play the game for more than three days, dumbass" and that's fair enough. It just seems like I should be doing strikes or some other group activity instead of meandering through the PoF story because it at least has a marker to follow.

HampHamp posted:

I don't mean to be too negative, as like I said I love the game generally! It just feels like it could be so much better with some restraint, and just a bit more clarity and feedback with combat especially.

In specific regards to the combat side of things, I watched a youtube video by some guy who I assume streams nothing but GW2 and he had rendered players (and effects, I think?) turned way down because otherwise it'd be impossible to see anything. I'm definitely doing that, especially if it tones down my robot's enormous green shield. I did my first HP train yesterday with everything on max and my poor 3080 was begging for the release of death. Just following endless nameplates at 15 fps and praying I didn't fall off a cliff I couldn't see.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mailer posted:

maybe play the game for more than three days, dumbass"

It's absolutely this. Just chill and learn about the game. You don't need even a remotely optimal build, just durdle around and explore. Going and playing Path of Fire content after only three days, before you've even found a build you feel comfortable with is nuts, let alone thinking about strike missions.

Just do some Central Tyria hearts, dude!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’ve been playing GW2 off and on since a year after launch and I’m only just now starting to feel good at the game.

I agree that there’s often too much visual clutter in combat. Anet has done some iteration on it, but it could use some more work at some point.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mailer posted:

mech

"maybe play the game for more than three days, dumbass"

mech is the noob class fwiw, let the damage-dealing stuff do itself while you figure out how the rest of the game works

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

HampHamp posted:

I've been playing this for a few months now, and man I'm so conflicted about some of the design choices. On the whole I love it, it's super fun to explore, the classes all seem fun to play, environment design is often fantastic.

But it just feels as though they have all these big ideas for encounters and story beats, which the game engine is simply not robust enough to handle. I often feel like I cannot parse what's going on in an encounter because there's just too many things happening, and the feedback isn't there. On a number of occasions I've just died for no apparent reason. Everything can feel so messy!

The big boss fight at the end of... I think Path of Fire? was almost comical in how many visual effects were going off. It also went on way too long, which is the case for a lot of the story missions. And some of the achievements seem like fun little alternate ways to play, but most of them are either stupidly difficult, or extremely buggy to the point I've just started ignoring them.

If you aren't already doing so and this streamer works for you, MightyTeapot has recently been doing a series called "Zero to Hero", where he takes a fresh account and character and covers all aspects of the game. How to unlock stuff without spending RL money, how to get into certain types of content, how to gear a character, how to customize a build towards your playstyle and the type of content you want to play, what are some profitable activities etc. There is no hardmode (group) content included, so it's very achieveable stuff. I am now at around 1.000 hours played, most of it in the last 9 months, and I still learn at least one new thing in every video of the series.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb0ISfn3umyNH8aoH7pv48VJiOlUH-0dk

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mailer posted:

Most of what drives me up a wall now is the basic stuff everyone probably learned over the last decade. Like videos show a million circles on the ground, but I don't make circles. Should I be making circles? Does mech not have circles, and does that make it bad? Videos say boons are good, which seems obvious, but I don't generate alacrity/quickness so I should switch to something that does? Can mechs heal reasonably well or do I need to roll a separate class for a defensive support? If everyone is supposed to stand in the pretty circles why am I ranged? Where do I go to find out what to do for gold, and are those places even available without a given LW unlocked?

A lot of these will be answered with "maybe play the game for more than three days, dumbass" and that's fair enough. It just seems like I should be doing strikes or some other group activity instead of meandering through the PoF story because it at least has a marker to follow.

In specific regards to the combat side of things, I watched a youtube video by some guy who I assume streams nothing but GW2 and he had rendered players (and effects, I think?) turned way down because otherwise it'd be impossible to see anything. I'm definitely doing that, especially if it tones down my robot's enormous green shield. I did my first HP train yesterday with everything on max and my poor 3080 was begging for the release of death. Just following endless nameplates at 15 fps and praying I didn't fall off a cliff I couldn't see.

If you have picked the build where your mech is giving buffs, it will make a think blue outline around where the buff is applied. (quickness is going to be F2, you can shift click to auto cast)

You dont need quickness or alac. they are nice to have. If you want to go support then use like a metabattle or snowcrows build (those are websites)

For gold, fractals are quick and steady. no lw needed
Teq is 1g no lw needed
dragonstorm is 2g not sure, dont think you need a lw
leyline is a coin and 50s no lw needed

If you want gold farm- you want either drizzlewood (need a group to do north and south) - you need IBS
or Silverwastes - you want to be on a RIBA map, as long as you are on a RIBA map you can do whatever you want. No LW needed?

There is also Dragonfall that will run fairly often LWS4 needed

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

Videos say boons are good, which seems obvious, but I don't generate alacrity/quickness so I should switch to something that does? Can mechs heal reasonably well or do I need to roll a separate class for a defensive support? If everyone is supposed to stand in the pretty circles why am I ranged?

In PvE, for everything but end-game group content, do whatever, who cares? Game is easy. For end-game group content (raids, strikes, T4 fractals), the ideal group will have (per 5-man subgroup):

1 quickness provider (100%+ uptime)
1 alacrity provider (100%+ uptime)
1 healer/support build

you'll also want some other buffs, like might, fury, etc, but these are generally common enough in specs that you don't need to build the group around them. Most commonly people will look for a HAM (heal alac mechanist) or HFB (heal firebrand) to fulfil the "hard" support role, as HAM provides alac and HFB provides quickness. This fills two of the above roles so you can grab a dps with the boon you lack, then grab some random dps for the other slots.

Playing as mech, you can HAM, which is a fairly complex hard support which can absolutely fill the healer role in the group via medkit and barrier generation. Here's a build:
https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/engineer/heal-alacrity-mechanist/

There are also a few dps builds, including an alacrity-providing dps build like this:
https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/engineer/power-alacrity-mechanist/
But note that mech dps has been repeatedly nerfed to the point where it's not actually very good damage and requires micromanagement of a pet with awful AI.

The range thing is a key aspect of PvE in this game. People stand together partly because of the above boons - they are extremely powerful, and many providers have a very short range on their application abilities. Also, there are aoe heals, and the downed mechanic strongly encourages stacking - much easier to revive someone at your feet than over the other side of the room. Range is still a very significant advantage when it comes to dps though, because there are very few encounters where you can just stand still and do your rotation at the enemy's feet.

Mailer posted:

Where do I go to find out what to do for gold, and are those places even available without a given LW unlocked?

There are many, many answers to this question. Generally though, do the content you enjoy, sell the things that drop, and money will come in. If you really want to optimise, jumping into an organised meta-train will be extremely hard to beat, though will generally have the expectation that you can access most of the maps in the game. You can check out this site to work out relative profit of various activities, accounting for current TP prices: https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/meta. Or you can fish I guess.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Mailer posted:

I'm gonna specifically answer this bit because it stuck out to me - why do you feel like you should be doing structured group content rather than open world stuff? Any answer is fine, to be clear, you're just pushing towards a fairly specific part of the endgame extremely fast.

I'm not directly gonna say "play for more than three days dumbass" because GW2 is definitely a game where the UI/UX stuff is bending severely under the weight of a decade of new features and content slapped on top so I won't blame anyone for being confused.

That said, its an extremely meander heavy game and you're definitely skipping over a lot so knowing a bit more about how you're approaching the game and what gameplay experiences you're after would help in pointing you towards things you've missed, both in terms of useful learning experiences and fun content you might have walked straight past.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

If you have picked the build where your mech is giving buffs, it will make a think blue outline around where the buff is applied. (quickness is going to be F2, you can shift click to auto cast)
Wait... what? :aaaaa:

quote:

For gold, fractals are quick and steady. no lw needed
Teq is 1g no lw needed
dragonstorm is 2g not sure, dont think you need a lw
leyline is a coin and 50s no lw needed

If you want gold farm- you want either drizzlewood (need a group to do north and south) - you need IBS
or Silverwastes - you want to be on a RIBA map, as long as you are on a RIBA map you can do whatever you want. No LW needed?

There is also Dragonfall that will run fairly often LWS4 needed

Thanks for that. I was more commenting on how dizzying it is (very much like Warframe) when you finish the first part of the game and suddenly everything unlocks and there's hundreds of directions to go, but this will be very good to know when I have time on weekend mornings that's more US-friendly.

where the red fern gropes posted:

mech is the noob class fwiw, let the damage-dealing stuff do itself while you figure out how the rest of the game works

There's two ways to take that. One is that it is very easy to play and good, so being the noob class just means you don't need to activate sub-second priorities on 20 keys with separate cooldowns while also moving and reacting or everyone dies like it's panda-era WoW... and this is a good thing because screw that. The other is that it's a training wheels class and not worth actually investing in it past the 80 boost I burned, in which case it would be good to know what the next thing to shoot for is. I was originally thinking Herald but that got shot down by Revenant not being available when I was still f2p.

There's also the third way to take it as some hipster class thing where X is really good so the real players play Y but that's gamers.txt and I hate it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
At the moment, I would say Mech is the best class in the game. Every mode (I don't WvW, so correct me if not true) is absolutely flooded by mechs because they trivialize so much of the content. Which, to be clear is a good thing in my opinion.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mailer posted:

There's two ways to take that. One is that it is very easy to play and good, so being the noob class just means you don't need to activate sub-second priorities on 20 keys with separate cooldowns while also moving and reacting or everyone dies like it's panda-era WoW... and this is a good thing because screw that. The other is that it's a training wheels class and not worth actually investing in it past the 80 boost I burned, in which case it would be good to know what the next thing to shoot for is. I was originally thinking Herald but that got shot down by Revenant not being available when I was still f2p.

There's also the third way to take it as some hipster class thing where X is really good so the real players play Y but that's gamers.txt and I hate it.

it's the first one

mech has been nerfed so you no longer run into groups where every dps player is a mechanist, but it can still comfortably perform in top-level content as well as blasting through any solo stuff the game throws at you

the build you want is full berserker gear with a rifle, traits are explosives 313 - firearms 332 - mechanist 331. utility skills are rectifier signet - throw mine - force signet - shift signet - whatever the elite signet is called.

also shift-right click all of your mech's skills so they autocast

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

HampHamp posted:

gw2 definitely could use an engine overhaul, a lot of its good aspects are in spite of real shaky foundations. probably way too late into its life cycle for this to happen rather than a sequel game

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Mechanist is pretty great. I play holo in open world, but have a heal/alac mechanist build/template for group content when I roll up and 4 randoms are failing to kill a champ/bounty. Toggle over to HAM and suddenly they're shocked at how good they are. HAM can also solo champs/bounties that don't have special gently caress you mechanics. It's slow going but once people see the event HP bar dropping they swarm like flies to poo poo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mailer posted:

Wait... what? :aaaaa:

Got patched in a couple months ago.

Same works for Ranger pets, thank Grenth.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm loving this game but I cannot keep a main for the life of me. Everything is neat and I can't decide on a major. Necro, Mech, and Warrior have all been amazing. It is a good time logging in and doing hearts but I'm hoping I don't burn out from being unable to decide on someone to stick with.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

You don’t have to have a main. I rotate between six different characters for WvW, story quests, and general open world stuff because I get bored if I use the same build for everything.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

You don’t have to have a main. I rotate between six different characters for WvW, story quests, and general open world stuff because I get bored if I use the same build for everything.

Yeah, this. I have one of every class geared for the specs I like in the various content types. I’ve been trying to constrain myself to medium armor classes as I’m working on my legendary armor set (2/6 so far!). So many things are account-wide it made alt-hopping not a bad thing. Except when trying to remember who’s holding something you’re looking for that you were too lazy to bank.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Gaukler posted:

Yeah, this. I have one of every class geared for the specs I like in the various content types. I’ve been trying to constrain myself to medium armor classes as I’m working on my legendary armor set (2/6 so far!). So many things are account-wide it made alt-hopping not a bad thing. Except when trying to remember who’s holding something you’re looking for that you were too lazy to bank.

That's where the https://gw2efficiency.com/ search comes in handy.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
For raids, it's good if one can fulfill several roles or at least have one power and one condition damage build. Several classes don't have good options for both, so a second character is required. And it's also good to have a fallback class/spec in case ANet messes up your favorite one in a balance patch and takes a few weeks or years to repair the damage.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm loving this game but I cannot keep a main for the life of me. Everything is neat and I can't decide on a major. Necro, Mech, and Warrior have all been amazing. It is a good time logging in and doing hearts but I'm hoping I don't burn out from being unable to decide on someone to stick with.

If you're enjoying Necro, try Harbinger. It gets rid of your bonus shroud life pool in exchange for a lot of damage, and permanent quickness/fury/25 stacks of might.

Plus you get a cool green pistol for unlocking the class.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

it can still comfortably perform in top-level content as well as blasting through any solo stuff the game throws at you

Yay I failed over to the good thing!

I don't ever see myself as the guy with all the legendaries because A) no raiding due to timeslot and B) I left my tryhard endgame raider status in TBC-era WoW, so I'm happy just completing things and playing lots of classes/roles and stopping at pink gear. Once I have a handle on all of the mechanics I'll probably roll a second character for a more dedicated support using whatever is the FotM at the time.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mailer posted:

Yay I failed over to the good thing!

I don't ever see myself as the guy with all the legendaries because A) no raiding due to timeslot and B) I left my tryhard endgame raider status in TBC-era WoW, so I'm happy just completing things and playing lots of classes/roles and stopping at pink gear. Once I have a handle on all of the mechanics I'll probably roll a second character for a more dedicated support using whatever is the FotM at the time.

Unless you particularly want the armor skins or ring visual effects from raiding, you can get legendary gear other ways. Armor can be had from doing a lot of WvW or sPvP, and the ring from WvW isn't unique, so you can make it twice.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Two things that I feel need to be emphasized:

1. It does not matter how good your class is.
  2. It does not matter how good your class is. Seriously! Really really really! Apart from a tiny minority of game content, you do not need an optimal class or even build to enjoy yourself.

In addition, respeccing is free. And you're probably going to end up with one of every class eventually anyway, there isn't really "maining" a class in this game, people chop and change all the time.

The only investment, I guess, is buying whatever exotic gear off the TP and time investment in unlocking the hero points. Well, okay, and paying for character slots when you run out.

Most people are going to pick equipment, skills and specialisations focused on either power/precision/ferocity, for direct damage, or condition damage and duration for poison/burning/torment/etc, but even then there's wiggle room depending on how glass-cannony you feel comfortable playing.

Although, if you don't enjoy coming up with your own builds (and lots of people don't) then maybe take a look at https://metabattle.com/wiki/Open_World to get some ideas. Again, you do not need to copy them exactly to be able to have fun playing this game, nor do you have to pick the very best, highest DPS class (unless that's your jam, I guess). GW2 isn't that kind of game for the overwhelming majority of it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Two things that I feel need to be emphasized:

1. It does not matter how good your class is.
  2. It does not matter how good your class is. Seriously! Really really really! Apart from a tiny minority of game content, you do not need an optimal class or even build to enjoy yourself.

The caveat to this (at least in my case) is I want to be useful to any given group. I'm never going to beat the playing-for-a-decade guy on whatever meters but if I can do a reasonable amount of damage, or keep alacrity up, or heal, or tank (are there tanks in fractals?) sufficiently then I'm happy. Ditto for soloing all the content that is viable solo. I care what I'm playing because I don't want to screw up the game for other people, but I don't care what they're playing because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

Also I'll happily pick any class/spec/whatever that lets me hit fewer buttons because I still have PTSD from raid tanking in WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I find i copy the metabattle ones for a while.

then change what i change to make it easier for me. They are a good start.

And dont worry about top end runes, you can use the poormans ones just as well