Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Watch yourself, that's a legendary poet

Soon to be a legendary poet necromancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I have one of those guys too. I’m pretty sure he ate a guy but nobody saw him.

He likes to get as close as he can to my artifacts..

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
are old graphics tilesets compatible with the new steam release? should i just wait for brand new graphics releases?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

first of all, thats hilarious

second of all,

m8

what the gently caress is this

That's my Gorlak monster slayer resident. I didn't know they could be full, intelligent units until he showed up one day. I thought they were just friendly wild animals - I even had one chained up in my entry hallway in my old fort as a greeter...

Edit: here's his sheet

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

i miss dwarf therapist

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ChickenWing posted:

i miss dwarf therapist

I really, really, really don't.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i hope the codebase for this game isnt too broken to add search functions to every list. that and not have a "remove furniture" painter are the two big issues for me rn. might also be nice to not have to select material every single time you place an object.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I always struggle to find the right dwarves to train for military. Are people really going through their 10+ new immigrants each time and picking out the ones with armor/martial skills? Is there any potential downside to training 24/7 like dwarves not getting to socialize or something worse? I think the biggest military I've ever had was like 20 dwarves and I only had them training every other month like weekend warriors.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

My QoL request is the ability to save preset profiles of work orders/standing orders/squad equipment & schedules/etc and transfer them between saves. For how frequently you're expected to start new fortresses, I feel like the tedium of doing that could be alleviated somewhat. Or at the very least, create a task that's just "smelt all ore" so I don't have to make orders for all 16 different kinds or whatever

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

punishedkissinger posted:

i hope the codebase for this game isnt too broken to add search functions to every list. that and not have a "remove furniture" painter are the two big issues for me rn. might also be nice to not have to select material every single time you place an object.

You can already check the big box that says "use nearest material" when you place an object, but I would love if I could only select all my obsidian doors when building bedrooms.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

For the latter you can select "use closest" and just place object after object, if you don't care which one gets used.

edit: efb, there's also an "all" selector for constructions now that was just recently added and is helpful

poemdexter posted:

You can already check the big box that says "use nearest material" when you place an object, but I would love if I could only select all my obsidian doors when building bedrooms.

Best way to do that is probably to temporarily forbid all other doors from the stocks screen

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

but i DO care. i just want it to keep using dolomite :(

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

On the topic of Fashion Fortress, I'd also really like the ability to paint walls so I don't have to mine them out and replace them with constructed ones for consistency. Just let us use dye

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

my dad posted:

I really, really, really don't.

I miss it for being able to quickly see everyone's thoughts for sure. And kills, so I can identify vampires or whatever

I really miss my dfhack. My kingdom for fastdwarf

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

johnny park posted:

My QoL request is the ability to save preset profiles of work orders/standing orders/squad equipment & schedules/etc and transfer them between saves. For how frequently you're expected to start new fortresses, I feel like the tedium of doing that could be alleviated somewhat. Or at the very least, create a task that's just "smelt all ore" so I don't have to make orders for all 16 different kinds or whatever

Strong agree here, it is rather tedious to set up a bunch of squad profiles with nice armor setups and specific weapon types, etc, every fortress

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Comrade Koba posted:

No. It keeps showing up in random locations, not only near water. This has been going on for several years now.

I know I could pop into legends mode to check out who that particular dwarf was, but the last time I temporarily retired a fortress it wiped my entire list of 20+ conditional work orders.

Dwarves or creatures who get what's called a contaminate (blood, mud, water, other fluids) on them will periodically shed it onto a tile as they move around.

This can cause an issue when a forgotten beast has dangerous blood or other secretion and suddenly you have a hazmat situation going on where dwarves keep tracking blood around that causes hemorrhagic bleeding, necrosis, blisters etc etc.

Which is why soap and baths are somewhat important.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"smelt all ore" ain't happening due to the fact that you can smelt a lot of ore into multiple different alloys.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Appoda posted:

Are beak dogs useful for anything besides food/bones/leather? I suddenly have almost 20 of them. I thought dwarves could ride them but not seeing any of that in the wiki. Are mounts usable at all in fortress mode?

Mounts are not usable in fortress mode for the player. Only enemies can ride mounts.

Beak dogs are not RAW trainable but that's a super easy mod since it's just a single token that gets added to their entry.

They lay a decent amount of eggs and give a decent amount of butchery goods which are also worth twice baseline animal values. So you get meat, craft goods and eggs.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

my dad posted:

"smelt all ore" ain't happening due to the fact that you can smelt a lot of ore into multiple different alloys.

Don't you do that with already-smelted bars and not ore?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

johnny park posted:

Don't you do that with already-smelted bars and not ore?

You can smelt copper + tin ores directly into bronze bars at least (I like to spend some embark points on copper + tin ores to have some bronze to start with). There may be some other examples, I believe you can also smelt electrum from ores of silver.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 3, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A hell of a lot more labor and fuel efficient, too, since alloying out of ores gets you 8 bars out of a single job and unit of fuel. Also lets you get a lot of billon out of ores like tetrahedrite which is an ore of both copper and silver, but can only be directly smelted into copper if you don't use it for an alloy, with silver normally being a low chance byproduct.

It's part of why bronze is generally the most cost-effective metal to bring ingredients for on embark.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 3, 2023

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

poemdexter posted:

I always struggle to find the right dwarves to train for military. Are people really going through their 10+ new immigrants each time and picking out the ones with armor/martial skills? Is there any potential downside to training 24/7 like dwarves not getting to socialize or something worse? I think the biggest military I've ever had was like 20 dwarves and I only had them training every other month like weekend warriors.

Generally I don't bother going that deep in, maybe if the same UI that showed me their skills also showed me if they liked martial training I would, but as is I just pick dwarves that have some skill in the weapon for their chosen uniform if available. If not, I pick random dwarves that don't have an assigned labor detail and without a labor I foresee utilizing in the future. So far I've been assigning custom labor details to skills where quality matters, and for everything else I just let everyone handle it, and there's always a ton of millers/threshers/milkers/gelders/fish dissectors around that can be drafted.

At first I set them all on constant training until they start to become elites. Then I switch to a staggered training schedule, but always wearing their uniform. For marksdwarves I do 10x orders of Train (minimum 1), and for everyone else I do 5x orders of Train (minimum 2). The idea is to encourage archery training and sparring in particular. I don't know if this is necessarily the best way to do it but it seems effective.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

poemdexter posted:

I've heard if you have them train 24/7 they won't replace broken clothing

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
For people using the labor tab judiciously, what are some of the important jobs where it makes sense to specify a subset of dwarves to doing it? I think the only ones I ever create are armorsmith and weaponsmith for obvious reasons.

Also, how does the encrusting/decorating work? Do they just pick up nearby items to decorate? Will they decorate the same item multiple times? Do I need to set a stockpile of items to decorate near the crafter/jeweler to ensure those get decorated first?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

For decorating, yeah I like to set up a separate jeweler's workshop and two stockpiles. The first stockpile takes undecorated furniture and cut gems from my primary stockpiles, and the workshop is set to only take items from the first stockpile and only move items to the second stockpile (for 'finished' furniture). I don't specify types of gem but I do specify types of furniture so they don't waste time decorating barrels and bags and stepladders. I usually limit it to statues/beds/cabinets/other stuff you can use to increase room value

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I build my military by adding Fish Dissectors, Gelders, Gem Setters and other lesser professions into their new career as Troop. I also include a necromancer for luck.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Gem setters are great tho

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

poemdexter posted:

For people using the labor tab judiciously, what are some of the important jobs where it makes sense to specify a subset of dwarves to doing it? I think the only ones I ever create are armorsmith and weaponsmith for obvious reasons.

I tend to set up specific work details for stone carving (not cutting, though if you don't want your entire fortress to start smoothing floors when you give the order you can do that), planting, cooking, engraving, carpentry, weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, glassmaking, clothesmaking (not weaving), doctoring labors that are not covered by "orderlies", and leatherworking (edit oh and gem cutters/setters). Others may be situational, like I wouldn't set up a dedicated bone carver or stonecrafter unless I got a very skilled one from a fey mood or migration, and metalcrafting/blacksmithing may get added if I'm getting a lot of lead or copper from smelting galena and tetrahedrite (which I mostly smelt for the silver for hammers/maces) and have a somewhat-skilled migrant up to the job. I typically also have dedicated brewers just because it's a job I have going almost all the time for the first few years of the fortress, but it's probably not necessary.

That may seem like a lot of labors but really it's not because DF has so many drat skills and labors. Most jobs still get done by "everybody".

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 3, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Azhais posted:

Gem setters are great tho
You know what’s even better? Killing. Armok wants blood on the floor, not gems on the door.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I set up forges and assign them to a weapon/armor smith and make the work orders local to those forges

Same with my furniture making carpenters/stone cutters

Miners get to be engravers and vice versa

Cooks are dedicated because that's all I export

Planters and gatherers are dedicated

Everything else just sort of happens

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I've liked the trick from earlier in the thread where cleaning is made into its own job detail. Not so much for any specialization, but for easily turning off the cleaning labor. Combined with standing orders it lets me keep the paths to the caverns open for trapping and such, since dwarves won't wander off.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Nessus posted:

You know what’s even better? Killing. Armok wants blood on the floor, not gems on the door.

Why choose? Put gems on your axes so you can look good while you kill good

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Ok, I solved my problem with the food. I cracked open the caverns without knowing what they were and a ton of monsters came out and killed everybody.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Dwarves or creatures who get what's called a contaminate (blood, mud, water, other fluids) on them will periodically shed it onto a tile as they move around.

This can cause an issue when a forgotten beast has dangerous blood or other secretion and suddenly you have a hazmat situation going on where dwarves keep tracking blood around that causes hemorrhagic bleeding, necrosis, blisters etc etc.

Which is why soap and baths are somewhat important.

I have fully functional bath facilities and my dwarves have no problem washing blood and other stuff from themselves.

It’s just this one dwarfs blood that keeps showing up, year after year. I might pop into Legends anyway just to see what’s up.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
I have the same problem with hungry head blood from the first year of my fort. I haven't had one since then but 3 years later I'm still seeing pools of its blood everywhere

I think cleaning blood drips a pool of it on the ground that's never itself cleaned? at least that's what I assumed

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I posted a few weeks ago about "DoomQuake" a fort on the edge of a haunted wasteland, constantly harassed by zombie carp. Fort is now at 200 dorfs and just got made a Duchy, steel and food production is incredibly strong, though I cant seem to get people to wear clothes that I make for them.. As for the undead.. Well so I had founded the fort with the mind that it would be a bulwark against the undead, I had a Necromancer mayor but still. To show the world I meant buisness I sent out 2 squads of hardened fighters (some incredibly tough ex-miners in the mix too) to raid a tower right at the heart of my civ's territory. Well I guess I should have paid a bit more attention to what they brought back and now half of my fort are purple.

A whole fort of dwarf necromancers, all trained in the dark arts thanks to a tome in my library, "First The Secret, Then the World!" a not very well written manual on necromancy. This has caused surprisingly few problems, but I decided this would alter the tone of my fort a bit. Now I launch regular raids on all neighbouring sites, I'm at war with the dwarves and elves, I've taken over a few goblin settlements, we've yet to take any artifacts but I have space for them set up to display in my feasting hall.

Eventually a much bigger goblin force showed up to besiege the fort, but I had 4 squads sitting in the corner they usually spawn from. It was, like all the other sieges before, a massacre. But something was different this time. Squads are drafted from new migrants and sent to train constantly. None of them had had the chance to peer into the secrets of life and death because they were sparring 24/7. Until I gave them all a holiday to go de-stress, and a good few of them decided to curl up with a good book..
Now I've had some of my haulers raise up some bodyparts while cleaning up a siege before, but it wasn't too much of a mess, usually a miner would walk by and demolish an animated head or arm and walk off, but this time someone raised each successive kill in the siege as friendly stalkers and somehow that buried my FPS. It was running at 9 fps for several minutes trying to sort this all out and I eventually had to have a squad put them down.

Things have been getting weirder and weirder lately. Atm there's a named undead ogre walking around one of my caverns. He got the name because he killed everything in them including a forgotten beast, who is now zombified (partially?). All behind a wall thankfully but I will have to deal with them all eventually.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Koba posted:

I have fully functional bath facilities and my dwarves have no problem washing blood and other stuff from themselves.

It’s just this one dwarfs blood that keeps showing up, year after year. I might pop into Legends anyway just to see what’s up.

Save to an alternate timeline, look at that timeline in legends.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

For some reason when a caged creature gets dumped into lava, the game records their cause of death as "Bled to death", but it does blame the dwarf that dumped them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

tak posted:

I have the same problem with hungry head blood from the first year of my fort. I haven't had one since then but 3 years later I'm still seeing pools of its blood everywhere

I think cleaning blood drips a pool of it on the ground that's never itself cleaned? at least that's what I assumed

Cleaning blood or stuff off you makes a pool which us then completely cleaned up with the clean task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alright, so I opened up legends mode and the dwarf who's been bleeding all over my fortress straight up doesn't exist. :iiam: