Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/D_Wrestlingifs/status/1609030404421345280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Is there a cliffs notes guide to which joshi promotions have heat with each other and why? I also notice that very few people here watch Stardom despite it being (I think) the biggest women's wrestling company in the world. Is that because Stardom did something to fall out of favour with people in the past or just a preference thing?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

At least for me the biggest thing is the lack of live shows, I can readily admit the in ring quality is higher than TJPW but I still much prefer to livepost. Also it being it's own separate streaming service. At least of the joshi I watch a lot of the only one worse for value is SEAdLINNNG, Sendai have all their stuff for free on Youtube and I was already paying for Wrestle Universe long before I started watching TJPW.

I'll at least watch the top few matches of Queendom tonight, the last thing on my backlog is the October 19th ZERO1 show unless I really feel the need to go looking for the December 4th 666 show

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

That makes sense. Stardom is owned by the same company that owns New Japan right? Have they ever tried putting both companies under one streaming service?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Crapple! posted:

Is there a cliffs notes guide to which joshi promotions have heat with each other and why? I also notice that very few people here watch Stardom despite it being (I think) the biggest women's wrestling company in the world. Is that because Stardom did something to fall out of favour with people in the past or just a preference thing?

To add to SG Bamboo there's also a long history of goons backing the underdog and TJPW is an underdog promotion made up of underdogs. Edit: Stardom had a bit of a rep before the Bushiroad purchase of playing up the sex appeal of its wrestlers (which to be fair DDT and TJPW both flirted with gravure wrestlers as well). Edit Edit: I'm downplaying it, if I recall correctly the specific complaints were bikini/provocative photobooks of underage wrestlers.

Crapple! posted:

That makes sense. Stardom is owned by the same company that owns New Japan right? Have they ever tried putting both companies under one streaming service?

Different tv stations film and own the footage. It can never happen.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 31, 2022

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm fairly sure that the Stardom TV is all owned by Bushiroad or Samurai - it uses a combination of Samurai TV cameras and Stardom World footage and they own the latter and I assume that Samurai wouldn't care about the former considering that NJPW and Stardom both have relationships with Samurai. I think its a combination of Stardom doing the PPV thing heavily; them being able to get two subs from people (and the work on transferring everything over) and neither side really being that invested in it is the barrier. As a Stardom fan going to NJPW World would be a massive drop in video quality (its not even HD) so I'd rather they didn't do that.

I also don't know if calling TJPW an underdog promotion is overly fair considering that they are owned by a company that's bigger than Bushiroad. Ice Ribbon is probably the real underdog company at the moment having lost basically all their big names in the last few years and having to rebuild from scratch without that corporate backing.

Crapple! posted:

It's hard to really identify where heat is "we hate each other" or where it's a "we have business disagreements and understand that if we need to make money we can work together". Stardom and Ice Ribbon had a lot of issues in the past (revolving around Ice Ribbon's 10th Anniversary where it was meant to be Best Friends vs Thunder Rock but Stardom were trying to mess around with finishes that they'd agreed and they couldn't work it out and they brought Emi back instead; then the Giulia stuff burned whatever was left it seems) so that feels highly unlikely; Stardom and TJPW are just the closest competition to each other and the latter is very isolationist so generally stays away from interpromotional stuff anyway - Rossy and Takagi are pals I think; DDT worked with Stardom early in its history (there's an early Saki Akai-Yoshiko match in Stardom) and Yuna Manase shows up every so often in Stardom so its not really a Bushiroad vs Cyberfight thing. I think the Stardom/AWG thing ended badly but that might have been Stardom and Anou not liking each other and everything has changed in AWG since then that's probably irrelevant. The Ice Ribbon/Gatoh Move thing seems to more be them having business disagreements historically and understanding that money could be made with irregular appearances but not with regular crossover especially if people think they hate each other. Rossy and Aja Kong also had issues revolving around ARSION where they sued each other; so I don't think they're working with each other any time soon.

There are some other rumours you hear (Rossy might owe GAMI money being the funniest random one) and there's almost certainly stuff below the surface but I think those are the main things. These things can always change as well: people assumed Nanae wouldn't ever go back to Stardom and now she's there pretty regularly and is tag champion: we aren't privy to every story.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

fez_machine posted:

Edit Edit: I'm downplaying it, if I recall correctly the specific complaints were bikini/provocative photobooks of underage wrestlers.

well that's pretty fuckin disappointing to hear.

IceAgeComing posted:

then the Giulia stuff burned whatever was left it seems) so that feels highly unlikely;

I vaguely remember hearing about this once. I'm guessing Ice Ribbon had big plans for her too before she went to Stardom? Was it a contract tampering issue?

IceAgeComing posted:

Stardom and TJPW are just the closest competition to each other and the latter is very isolationist so generally stays away from interpromotional stuff anyway

I'm guessing this is mostly other Japanese promotions? I don't follow the show, but they seem to use overseas wrestlers a decent amount

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Crapple! posted:

I vaguely remember hearing about this once. I'm guessing Ice Ribbon had big plans for her too before she went to Stardom? Was it a contract tampering issue?

I don't know about contract tampering, but Giulia was considered the future of Ice Ribbon. She left for STARDOM without telling anyone on the IR roster (allegedly). IIRC, there was insinuation that Giulia's IR contract hadn't ended yet when she made her surprise appearance at a STARDOM show, but no legal action was ever taken. This was right around the same time that BushiRoad bought STARDOM, and Kidani publically chastised Rossy on Twitter over the way he brought Giulia in, calling it Showa era tactics (Showa was mid 20th century up through the 80s, and the Reiwa era had begun a few months before Giulia came to STARDOM when Japan got a new emperor).

There are still hard feelings. Yappy mentioned on Twitter that fans shouldn't ask Tequila Saya about Burning RAW, her tag team with Giulia, because it's a bad memory for her.

It has been the basis of Giulia and Suzu Suzuki's feud in STARDOM (they were close in IR), and when IR veteran Maya Yukihi showed up for the Triangle Derby press conference, Giulia called her out.

Power Windows fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 1, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'd love to watch Stardom, but as mentioned it being it's own paid service separate from any other, and no live streaming that I'm aware of (so no livethread/simul-posting possible) means I just can't justify it.

Happily, TJPW is really, really, really loving good and comes as part of a package deal with DDT ....and I guess NOAH too.... :sigh:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Happily, TJPW is really, really, really loving good and comes as part of a package deal with DDT ....and I guess NOAH too.... :sigh:

Don't forget GanPro, they very rarely do live shows but when they do it's usaully a real good time.

Plus one offs from ZERO1 or Prominence, Wrestle Universe is just great

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Speaking of Ganpro when I said that TJPW was an underdog promotion, I mean it largely as an aesthetic rather than a commercial reality of ownership.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Power Windows posted:

There are still hard feelings. Yappy mentioned on Twitter that fans shouldn't ask Tequila Saya about Burning RAW, her tag team with Giulia, because it's a bad memory for her.

Yeah I won't claim to know the inner workings of what went down with Giulia specifically and between the promotions in general, but I do know it was a really sore spot with Saya, who felt obligated to delay her own retirement to help fill in holes Giulia left on their cards

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Doesn't TJPW have a bit more of a western following than STARDOM, mainly thanks to roster members appearing on AEW, and maybe in part because they have more English commentary shows (as well as no live shows on the STARDOM subscription network as already said)? Or is that total bullshit made up in my head?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

this kid is nuts posted:

Doesn't TJPW have a bit more of a western following than STARDOM, mainly thanks to roster members appearing on AEW, and maybe in part because they have more English commentary shows (as well as no live shows on the STARDOM subscription network as already said)? Or is that total bullshit made up in my head?

I don't have numbers but certainly going by parts of Twitter & other social media that I follow Stardom seems a much bigger name.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Bushiroad and cyberfight promotions google trends

Japan
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=JP&q=%2Fm%2F02z3y1,%2Fm%2F054dw4,%2Fm%2F0n52f24,%2Fg%2F112ygdl96,%2Fm%2F0c_1d_

Worldwide (this is strongly influenced by Japanese results obviously)

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F02z3y1,%2Fm%2F054dw4,%2Fm%2F0n52f24,%2Fg%2F112ygdl96,%2Fm%2F0c_1d_

USA

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F02z3y1,%2Fm%2F054dw4,%2Fm%2F0n52f24,%2Fg%2F112ygdl96,%2Fm%2F0c_1d_

USA with njpw removed because it breaks the scale

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F054dw4,%2Fm%2F0n52f24,%2Fg%2F112ygdl96,%2Fm%2F0c_1d_

So the answer seems to me that stardom is bigger or at least by Google search. I'd be curious if i could do a worldwide search minus Japan though. The amount of noise in the US graph suggests to me puro in the west is largest njpw and the rest

I think exposure on aew TV is pretty overrated not gonna lie. I doubt ddt got much out of takeshita being on aew

Edit

Japan with njpw removed so its easier to see the smaller promotions

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=JP&q=%2Fm%2F054dw4,%2Fm%2F0n52f24,%2Fg%2F112ygdl96,%2Fm%2F0c_1d_

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 1, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

this kid is nuts posted:

TJPW having a greater following is almost completely localised to here (and maybe some obscure discords).

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 1, 2023

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
It's interesting, because I had gotten into TJPW independent of here (I think through watching some vids on Bilibili) and was surprised to find that it had a following on SA. I must have wrongly assumed its popularity here was more indicative of the wider western IWC

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
TJPW's best match list is out:
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1609537441748377606

Happy to see Miu in in the first place, I hope that will encourage them to push her further.
Also Arisu being already in the top 10 is neat!

Surprised to not see Yuka vs Billie Starkz.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Power Rankings from the poll:
https://twitter.com/ivan_rbd/status/1609568882972319744

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The numbers don't lie, and they spell L O V E for Miu Watanabe!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jimmy is the best follow

https://twitter.com/jimmygabagool/status/1609745665571323904

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao this rules

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1610290732862177280

also holy poo poo all 3 of these are going to bang

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

DJExile posted:

lmao this rules

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1610290732862177280

also holy poo poo all 3 of these are going to bang

Do we have any idea who's commentating?

Praying for Akki/Brookes but preparing for Mr. Arai and that guy who barely talks

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It's Drew Parker and Chrissy B.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Chris has said he's doing it but I thought Akki was still in America, so holding out for Drew or Haku but more likely Arai and Ciari

e: beaten like Moka Miyamoto

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
here is the tweet btw
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1601969339217113088

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Drew Parker keeps wondering when they're going to break out the lighttubes.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Y'know, I saw that beforehand and forgot that it was this show!

loving rules

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Hell yeah Max and Heidi 'bout to get strapped up

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1610578985859309569

That's a pretty wide spectrum of wrestlers.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Apparently Miyu Yamishita got hurt during her match with Yuka Sakazaki, had to withdraw from a post-match meet and greet thing.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Guess that would explain why the ending felt kind of out of nowhere, that sucks to hear

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Apparently Miyu Yamishita got hurt during her match with Yuka Sakazaki, had to withdraw from a post-match meet and greet thing.

I wonder what it could have possibly been....

https://twitter.com/D_Wrestlingifs/status/1610500178460524545

Oh.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Stall_19 posted:

I wonder what it could have possibly been....

https://twitter.com/D_Wrestlingifs/status/1610500178460524545

Oh.

That was the first spot in the match and they worked for about 14 minutes after that. So no, it wasn't that.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Pylons posted:

That was the first spot in the match and they worked for about 14 minutes after that. So no, it wasn't that.

I don't care if she finished the match, I see that and I'm taking her to the hospital to get checked out anyways.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Stall_19 posted:

I don't care if she finished the match, I see that and I'm taking her to the hospital to get checked out anyways.

She didn't "finish the match", she worked the entire match after that.

If I had to blame anything, I'd probably blame the shoot headbutt.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 4, 2023

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Same difference. The only responsible thing to do after someone hits their head that violently on the mat is take them to the hospital to get checked out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

:rolleyes:

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

There was a shoot headbutt? That's very un-tjpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the general public understanding of head injuries is incredible