Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
What I find incredibly stupid about this is what does the HFC actually want that isn't mainstream Republicanism at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mooseontheloose posted:

What I find incredibly stupid about this is what does the HFC actually want that isn't mainstream Republicanism at this point?

They want no deals with Democrats, they want to use the debt limit as a cudgel to kill entitlements, no earmarks, no aid to Ukraine, stuff like that

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kevin promised MTG would get a committee seat and now her own caucus is screwing it up for her lmao
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1610298988523311106
A MTG-Boebert feud neutralizes some of the power they have so I hope it continues

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

They want no deals with Democrats, they want to use the debt limit as a cudgel to kill entitlements, no earmarks, no aid to Ukraine, stuff like that

McCarthy is already doing that though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's hilarious how much bickering there is over which identical bootlicker gets this job that nobody even seems to want. It's like fighting to the death over which brand of styrofoam cup to stock in the break room.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

He won't on the debt limit because that'll probably be a discharge petition, and he probably wouldn't change the rules on that

He'd be ok with Ukraine aid I think too

They also want a balanced budget amendment and a national ban on abortions which would kill Rs in moderate districts

Oh term limits too! Even though that's wildly unconstitutional as a bill

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mooseontheloose posted:

The main thing is lowering the threshold for removal of House leadership so that the most batshit individual members of the party can hold every single decision over McCarthy's head as a threat, effectively giving them complete power over the smallest details.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610312140912566273 https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610312444806836225

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah the main thing is they want the ability to call wildly unpopular votes to get other members on the record. All the things that the slightly more sane Republicans would never allow to come to vote no matter how much they say they want it to happen. They are true believers, unless he gives in to literally every demand they have and never goes against them then he's a traitor to the cause. I think McCarthy will still get in most likely, but there's a lot of unpredictability here.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So this poo poo is definitely going to be gridlocked for a while right? with the number of no's that we're seeing now I don't see how they're ever going to get this thing across the line and it seems like everyone is just digging in.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

cr0y posted:

So this poo poo is definitely going to be gridlocked for a while right? with the number of no's that we're seeing now I don't see how they're ever going to get this thing across the line and it seems like everyone is just digging in.

I wouldn't say definitely. First ballot yes, second ballot we're gonna have to see what happens. However, I highly, highly doubt that anyone who votes no on Kevin first round switches

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The last Congress has been declared sine die and the next Congress won't be sworn in until this afternoon.

America has no legislative branch for the next 15 minutes or so. Anarchy reigns.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is it wrong to enjoy this? They're all so stupid and angry and rudderless.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it wrong to enjoy this? They're all so stupid and angry and rudderless.

I fear what the eventual outcome could be but the process of watching the sausage gets made is fascinating.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Jake Sherman is saying it's not clear McCarthy can win on subsequent ballots either

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1610313757984522241?cxt=HHwWgoC8mZj1_dgsAAAA

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The last Congress has been declared sine die and the next Congress won't be sworn in until this afternoon.

America has no legislative branch for the next 15 minutes or so. Anarchy reigns.

So are we Purging, or...?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Judgy Fucker posted:

I fear what the eventual outcome could be but the process of watching the sausage gets made is fascinating.

as a great philosopher once said, I feel terrible for America but this is great content

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Already started.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Purging begins at home

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

My money is on two votes for McCarthy, a vote for Scalise, Upton, and maybe a few other candidates, and then finally a successful vote for McCarthy.

Every faction has veto power, once everyone shows that they're willing use it, it becomes clear that everyone should compromise to move forward.

But that would require basic political competency, so maybe not!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

In theory I agree with you, but I don't see the HFC compromising for McCarthy. Another person sure, like Scalise. But this is about taking down McCarthy singularly and I don't see how they rail against him and then all of a sudden decide "ok we'll back you now"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It doesn't seem like McCarthy's people are all that sold on him, so yeah if the HFC actually holds it's hard to see how McCarthy doesn't get swapped for some compromise candidate. HFC gets their win and everyone else gets to move on.

Only McCarthy really seems dead set on McCarthy being speaker.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fighting Trousers posted:

I prefer to binge, honestly

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

TGLT posted:

It doesn't seem like McCarthy's people are all that sold on him, so yeah if the HFC actually holds it's hard to see how McCarthy doesn't get swapped for some compromise candidate. HFC gets their win and everyone else gets to move on.

MTG will still be mad that she didn't get her sweet deal with McCarthy

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

The Bristol scale might describe it as sausage-like, yes.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I haven't been following this sort of thing for awhile but, since McCarthy himself is saying there's up to twenty against him when before there were five right after he gave a big speech, doesn't that just suggest he turned a couple of the dissidents and is just driving up hype so that he can turn around and say his "historic" speech won the day?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Cheryl Johnson is in charge while the children sort it out btw
https://twitter.com/Lawrence/status/1610319409142431745

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Youth Decay posted:

MTG will still be mad that she didn't get her sweet deal with McCarthy

If nothing is going to be fixed and everything is going to be worse anyway, I can at least extract a vague sense of enjoyment in watching her become frustrated that a different part of the monster she is both part of and helped create is attacking her as well. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chance the Dems vote McCarthy as a comedy option?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Every time I see "HFC" I think "High Fructose Cornsyrup"...only the syrup is probably more healthy.

Kevin's in trouble, at least initially. :munch:

Young Freud posted:

Nearly zero, unless Kev decides to shore up his position in the short term by giving dems concessions. That would poison him long term though, so it's highly unlikely.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Young Freud posted:

The Dems have all been instructed to vote for anyone BUT McCarthy on the first ballot IIRC

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Jake Sherman is saying it's not clear McCarthy can win on subsequent ballots either

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1610313757984522241?cxt=HHwWgoC8mZj1_dgsAAAA

That scene from Home Alone where they realize they left Kevin behind, only instead of panicking, everybody starts partying.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Nearly zero, unless Kev decides to shore up his position in the short term by giving dems concessions. That would poison him long term though, so it's highly unlikely.

Also the Dems in the house don't trust a god drat word the Republicans are saying.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
House currently voting to establish a quorum right now, in about 10-15 minutes they're going to start voting for Speaker, you can watch on C-Span here

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Piell posted:

House currently voting to establish a quorum right now, in about 10-15 minutes they're going to start voting for Speaker, you can watch on C-Span here

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1610316616679530497?s=46&t=bpJZs4Qwnq9KH9zQmuznBA Ted Lieu has the right idea

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

He listened!

Discendo Vox posted:

Dems should bring popcorn onto the floor and pass it around before voting starts.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Hearty lol at whoever that guy was in a suit and tie with bubblegum.

e: oh jesus, there's another one. Except, I know Ronnie Jackson is actually a congressperson. If he also blows bubbles I'm going to lose it.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 3, 2023

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Dems have already said they're going to all vote Jeffries as a bloc and frankly, never interrupt your enemy when they're infighting is a good strategy here

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

The committee in charge of administrative matters sent a letter last week outlining the practical implications and pitfalls of a drawn-out speaker’s fight. Without an approved House Rules package, the memo outlined that committees won’t be able to pay staff.

The same memo, which was first reported by Politico and obtained by CNN, also warned that student loan payments for committee staff wouldn’t be disbursed if a rules package isn’t adopted by mid-January.

It’s just one of the many ways a battle over the next speaker could paralyze the House and the Republican majority from operating efficiently in their opening days with some of the harshest penalties falling on rank-and-file staffers.

Youth Decay posted:

Cheryl Johnson is in charge while the children sort it out btw
https://twitter.com/Lawrence/status/1610319409142431745

:thunk:

Is this like, actual Speaker Of The House By Default or is it some sort of facsimile with reduced power

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

ElegantFugue posted:

:thunk:

Is this like, actual Speaker Of The House By Default or is it some sort of facsimile with reduced power

Someone has to hold the box to put the votes for Speaker in. No other business can happen.