Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Chamale posted:

Hamlin had covid six weeks ago, and covid raises the risk of cardiac events for a year. So that could have been a factor, although I don't think it can be determined with an individual case.

Hopefully the prompt medical care saved his life. I've been through cardiac arrest after a sports injury, went on a ventilator, and made a full recovery.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Incredible stuff from the mods, who are responding to this situation 420% worse than the loving NFL lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Looks like the Chasing M's GFMe just updated to respond to the donation surge:

Hamlin's GoFundMe page for his toy drive posted:

**UPDATE: This fundraiser was initially established to support a toy drive for Damar’s community, sponsored by the Chasing M’s Foundation.

However, it has received renewed support in light of Damar’s current battle and we can’t thank all of you enough. Your generosity and compassion mean the world to us.

If you would like to show your support and contribute to Damar’s community initiatives and his current fight, this is the place to do so. This is the only current fund that is being used by the Hamlin Family.

Again, thank you for your thoughts, prayers and generous support during this time.

Damar created The Chasing M’s Foundation to use as a vehicle to bring lasting impact to his community. The foundation supports toy drives, back-to-school drives, kids camps, and more. UPDATE**

Link to the update and drive.

No word yet on how the man himself is doing, though. :smith:

Also yeah, hilarious typo aside, I hope Tee Higgins is doing okay, considering. There's a bit of tweeting out there etc. that seems to reflect him being rattled by it all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It appears by all rights that procedures were followed to a T. I think the phone tag between league officials after the players left the field could have taken less than an hour, but based upon what I saw last night, what the announcers said, and my review of the procedure manual this morning they did everything correctly.

I said in the other thread that I believe that the idea of calling the game a draw is not possible. It can only be canceled or postponed and finished. It doesn't meet the requirements for termination or forfeiture. Of those two options, I think the game is canceled. This is akin to a no-contest in combat sports. The game did not occur. No stats count. Win/loss record will determine divisions and playoff seeding in the AFC.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1610316830073126915?s=46&t=kWnQzMbkQIgEEMGUVwe2tA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Incredible stuff from the mods, who are responding to this situation 420% worse than the loving NFL lmao

nobody cares about covid doomer poo poo dork

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
FWIW, the Times says this about the five minute thing:

quote:

[the N.F.L.’s executive vice president for football operations Troy] Vincent said he and other league officials spoke with Shawn Smith, the head referee at the game who in turn spoke to both head coaches about giving the players as much time as they needed.

There was no discussion of resuming play, he said, which contradicted comments by Joe Buck, ESPN’s play-by-play broadcaster, on the air. Buck said just before players returned to the locker rooms that they were told they would have about five minutes to get ready to resume play. “That’s the word we get from the league and the word we get from down on the field, but nobody’s moving,” Buck said.

“It wasn’t about proceeding with the game,” Vincent told reporters on a conference call early Tuesday. “The competitive aspect never crossed my mind, never crossed our minds.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/02/sports/football/damar-hamlin-bills-hit.html

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

indigi posted:

Good thing he didn’t post any!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

indigi posted:

steady now this is no place for the NFL concussion protocol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ty-is-fighting/

A family spokesperson says he's "fighting" as of about 40 minutes ago, so we at least know he's still alive.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the times is a PR rag, much as I hate Joe Buck I'll take his word on it

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ty-is-fighting/

A family spokesperson says he's "fighting" as of about 40 minutes ago, so we at least know he's still alive.

We're at the stage where, while 'no news is good news' isn't strictly true, not hearing conclusively bad news is good, right?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
who gives a poo poo if they said five minutes or not initially, they made the right decision

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This loving sucks.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

who gives a poo poo if they said five minutes or not initially

the referees

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

indigi posted:

the times is a PR rag, much as I hate Joe Buck I'll take his word on it

I believe that Joe Buck repeated what was being told to him in his earpiece, and I also believe that this information he was given was possibly inaccurate, and most of all I believe that there is no actual 5 minute warmup controversy and both head coaches and the players would all tell you the same thing, that they were all treated respectfully on the field and were not being actually ordered to go out there and start playing again at any time. Because if they were, we'd actually have heard about it by now.

I think folks want to find something to be mad about and are grasping at straws, basically. Information passed through the TV production system to the announcers isn't always totally accurate. Nobody should be mad at Joe Buck or anyone else.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Finally watched the whole sequence and what a crazy thing. He clearly takes a shoulder to the chest, but I feel like I see that every quarter of every game. The refs actually deserve a bit of credit as when he goes down randomly, the ref tosses a quick glance at him and immediately starts frantically calling for medical staff. Probably saved 20-30 seconds of players poking at him confused before the staff decided they could enter the field.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

We all watched in surreal disbelief as a 100+ billion dollar institution suddenly came crashing to a standstill and the only thing left to fill the air was a dollar store Cicero named Schefter philosophizing on the nature of life and death itself. I think during those fluid and chaotic moments, everyone involved on that field in Cincinnati last night (refs included) did the best they could and nobody should feel shame or regret for their part in it

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here is the operations manual:
https://fliphtml5.com/uryp/sdbq

Here is the ref's authority during emergency:

Here is the section discussing the time allowed for warmups following suspension:

I'm basing my statements on what I saw on the broadcast last night, what was said on the broadcast last night, and what the standard policy book says people are supposed to do in those situations. Go to page A75 for the commissioner's stuff on cancellation, suspension, termination, etc.

This is speculation based on unconfirmed rumors and second-hand information, basically exactly what I was talking about. You have no idea what actually happened, you've just developed a theory based on what fits with the little information we have and are assuming it to be true. We don't even know if the information we have so far was even accurate, as typically all sorts of bad information comes out initially in a crisis situation. For example, currently it's being denied that what was recounted on the broadcast ever happened.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Vando posted:

We're at the stage where, while 'no news is good news' isn't strictly true, not hearing conclusively bad news is good, right?

Basically. He's intubated one way or another, so he's going to be unconscious. Conscious intubation is horrific to experience and they'll only bring him out of the medically-induced coma when they're absolutely certain he can breathe on his own without any assistance.

It's actually entirely possible he's fine-ish, considering, and he's closer to that hockey player who suffered similarly and survived. In that case, they have him under just to be certain right now.

If he was dead or brain-dead, they'd announce that, though in the latter case it may be a few days before they know for sure that he's effectively brain-dead and couldn't survive on his own. (This is what happened with my dad's heart attack a few years back.)

TLDR, it's reasonably good news. Even in the best case, they'll keep him under until he's no longer intubated.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I'm going to hell for laughing at your typo, but I agree with your overall sentiment.

You wrote "poo poo" instead of "shot"

Haha. I guess I swear enough that auto correct didn't pick it up...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

I believe that Joe Buck repeated what was being told to him in his earpiece, and I also believe that this information he was given was possibly inaccurate, and most of all I believe that there is no actual 5 minute warmup controversy and both head coaches and the players would all tell you the same thing, that they were all treated respectfully on the field and were not being actually ordered to go out there and start playing again at any time. Because if they were, we'd actually have heard about it by now.

I think folks want to find something to be mad about and are grasping at straws, basically. Information passed through the TV production system to the announcers isn't always totally accurate. Nobody should be mad at Joe Buck or anyone else.

If it's accurate that Joe Burrow was throwing passes on the sideline I doubt he was having a game of catch for fun at that point. So I believe the 5 minute thing was said at some point to someone.

Just then thankfully the coaches said what the hell are we doing here and got together and walked off the field.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That typo made me audibly lol and was exactly what I needed while following this awful story so thank you for that

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

pseudodragon posted:

Haha. I guess I swear enough that auto correct didn't pick it up...

I'm the same way, my dude. Ive made the same error in the past.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

sweet thursday posted:

We all watched in surreal disbelief as a 100+ billion dollar institution suddenly came crashing to a standstill and the only thing left to fill the air was a dollar store Cicero named Schefter philosophizing on the nature of life and death itself. I think during those fluid and chaotic moments, everyone involved on that field in Cincinnati last night (refs included) did the best they could and nobody should feel shame or regret for their part in it

What I'll remember is ABC just awkwardly looping the same commercials for nearly an hour (The Rookie/Feds crossover was shown at least 15 times) only to cut back to the commenters and analysts trying like hell to do something other than sit in silence and sob.

And that looked and felt terrible but like... what else are you going to do? There's no other game to cut to or anything else to discuss that wouldn't be in extremely poor taste.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

If it's accurate that Joe Burrow was throwing passes on the sideline I doubt he was having a game of catch for fun at that point. So I believe the 5 minute thing was said at some point to someone.

Just then thankfully the coaches said what the hell are we doing here and got together and walked off the field.

The players were obviously gearing up to play the game. There's no reason for either sideline to behave the way they did if they hadn't been told the game was going to resume.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah we don't really know if it was just game-of-telephone "normally we'd have a warm up period here, the ambulance just drove off so let's start warming up I guess" turning into "we were told we had 5 minutes" or if someone on the field or someone else actually invoked the usual rule. What I think we can conclude is that it's not really important or significant regardless, because none of the team staff, coaches, or players have come out today to say "we're angry about being told to play" and that would probably have happened by now. We don't need to get angry on the behalf of people who aren't angry.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Eifert Posting posted:

The players were obviously gearing up to play the game. There's no reason for either sideline to behave the way they did if they hadn't been told the game was going to resume.

Do the on field officials have the authority to call the game? If not, I don't know what else they were supposed to do.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Diggs was trying to hype guys back up to play it's not like the 5 minute thing wasn't said on the field as well. What hit me wrong was the exec last night saying he didn't know where that came from. Without tone of voice it came across like the NFL completely denying it even happened. It's possible he just misspoke but it didn't feel quite right with the leagues track record.

May have been refs just following the rule book as written because Hell they were likely in shock to.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah at some point they showed Joe throwing a ball but who knows if that was because he was told to warm up or if it was because he needed to do something to keep his mind off the person who almost just died.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Possibly, but also possibly not, there's a whole bunch of other possible explanations including what I think is the most likely one: uncertainty as to what was going to happen and what should be done in the meantime. Also some people just like to keep themselves busy when dealing with a crisis situation that they have no control over. For all we know Joe Burrow might have decided to keep his arm warm just because he had no idea what was going to happen and it was as good as a way as any to deal with the stress he was under at the moment.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Hell the players could have been warming up just so they had something to do instead of stand around in shock, there's no way to use it as 'proof' of any of this stuff

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
It makes perfect sense that people who have recently been traumatized resort to things that are familiar and comfortable to cope with their feelings. There's really no playbook on what to do in a situation like this. They probably just needed to do something. Anything.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

When this has happened in soccer the players are often seen passing the ball around until a decision is made either way. 1) they can't do anything to help and 2) until a decision is made they're still supposed to be ready to play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It makes perfect sense that people who have recently been traumatized resort to things that are familiar and comfortable to cope with their feelings. There's really no playbook on what to do in a situation like this. They probably just needed to do something. Anything.

Yeah. And I think regardless of what some ref did or didn't say, we can be forgiving and understanding of the difficulty of the situation and folks trying to figure out what to do next.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Yeah I mean the only real prism to look through actions by the league office is what maximizes revenue for the NFL with the least risk to the value of the brand. I would think there’s absolutely no way the league office is looking at that situation and telling people to continue the game given the potential long term harm to “the shield” from having to broadcast a player has died while the game he died in is still being played and broadcast.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Let the record show that the Bengals were kicking the poo poo out of the Bills before all this happened

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lifespan posted:

Finally watched the whole sequence and what a crazy thing. He clearly takes a shoulder to the chest, but I feel like I see that every quarter of every game. The refs actually deserve a bit of credit as when he goes down randomly, the ref tosses a quick glance at him and immediately starts frantically calling for medical staff. Probably saved 20-30 seconds of players poking at him confused before the staff decided they could enter the field.

There were also two players pointing at Hamlin immediately as he fell and waving to the sidelines. Good awareness

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Bengals, the new Cardiac Cats?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Vando posted:

Hell the players could have been warming up just so they had something to do instead of stand around in shock, there's no way to use it as 'proof' of any of this stuff

I can believe that this was the case. When poo poo like this you need to do something, anything to try to make things feel "normal." These guys live and breathe football so it makes total sense they would start doing football type things to try and pull themselves together until they knew what comes next.

I don't believe for a second that the coaches were ever going to let the players back on the field. This was just to distract them while they got the details sorted out.

Number19 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

That typo made me audibly lol and was exactly what I needed while following this awful story so thank you for that

Same. This is now my head canon (especially since the real story is terrible) and Lamar no longer has the funniest poop story in sports