Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DynamicSloth posted:

Can't imagine if they vote again right away it would change the outcome (barring this all being some elaborately well coordinated kayfabe cunningly disguised as actual chaos), McCarthy would be gambling that he could at least improve his position on a revote, if he loses votes it would be catastrophic for his prospects.

But McCarthy says to vote again;
And McCarthy is a smart man.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The rebels have stated they have someone in mind for the second ballot, so I'd be interested in seeing who that is and if they'll either be nominated or just called out on the floor

Bringing in the guy whose name tells you exactly what he's about.

Dick Armey is back, bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The rebels have stated they have someone in mind for the second ballot, so I'd be interested in seeing who that is and if they'll either be nominated or just called out on the floor

I'm kinda shocked none of them voted for Trump

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My bad, at one point they flipped the names in their graphic that showed McCarthy at 212 and Jeffries at 203 then flipped it back (just scrolled back in the YouTube feed)

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm guessing that KMC is assuming that a lot of the protest votes weren't serious and they just wanted to get a gently caress Kevin vote on the record so they can go to their psychotic base in the worst suburbs you've heard of and say "Look I tried to stop him."

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah I'm still expecting him to be speaker, but in the most humiliating method possible, as is his brand.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Charliegrs posted:

So is KMac just going to try to win by attrition basically? Just keep redoing the votes until everyone gets so tired and just let's him win so they can go home?

That's the McCarthy team plan - just wear people out with votes

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

this is kind of a crazy moment for US politics nerds. (normal people who are not US politics nerds dont give a poo poo, and probably shouldn't give a poo poo) getting to a 2nd ballot in the house speaker vote is nuts.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Charliegrs posted:

So is KMac just going to try to win by attrition basically? Just keep redoing the votes until everyone gets so tired and just let's him win so they can go home?

theoretically if enough people get tired and leave, the threshold to win gets lower but i dont think democrats would want to interfere by leaving, both because this all makes the GOP look like idiots and because IIRC there's a loose agreement that the parties don't interfere with each other's speakers races

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone

Rigel posted:

this is kind of a crazy moment for US politics nerds. (normal people who are not US politics nerds dont give a poo poo, and probably shouldn't give a poo poo) getting to a 2nd ballot in the house speaker vote is nuts.

The inmates run the prison now, why expect better from them?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gym Jordan troll option: nominate himself and only get 1 vote

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

LionYeti posted:

I'm guessing that KMC is assuming that a lot of the protest votes weren't serious and they just wanted to get a gently caress Kevin vote on the record so they can go to their psychotic base in the worst suburbs you've heard of and say "Look I tried to stop him."

I think that's the case for probably 10-15 of the Republican defectors, it's just that McCarthy's chances of being Speaker hinge entirely on whether it's 10, or 15, with no wiggle room

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If Jefferies somehow wins, what could he actually do to drag it out? I know that the Republicans would immediately call for a vote of no confidence and call for a re-vote, but could he gently caress with that by putting it on the docket, riiiiiiiight after everything that is publicly popular but Republicans are against?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

He probably doesn't want to give people any time to start talking about serious alternatives to him. Biggs has no chance of getting a majority and he knows it. The big weakness in the Freedom Caucus plan is that they don't have a real competitor to McCarthy. They're hoping that the moderates will offer one up on their own if McCarthy is blocked long enough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Gym Jordan is making noise now.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

There's no such thing as a vote of no confidence in the US House. There's a motion to vacate the chair, but that's usually placed in the rules package. If no rules package has passed the rules committee and house, there's feasibly no way to remove a speaker once elected. It also makes it impossible to run the House but minor details.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Randalor posted:

If Jefferies somehow wins, what could he actually do to drag it out? I know that the Republicans would immediately call for a vote of no confidence and call for a re-vote, but could he gently caress with that by putting it on the docket, riiiiiiiight after everything that is publicly popular but Republicans are against?

no. a republican is going to be speaker

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Charliegrs posted:

Yes. If he had a clever and good plan to become the Speaker, he wouldn't be KMac.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Rigel posted:

Didn’t this happen all the time in the 1850s?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

burma shave

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

davecrazy posted:

Ah yes the 1850s. A time where American politics truly were at their most normal.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

davecrazy posted:

Yes, though that was largely the result of competing regional political machines fighting with eachother. Also, the 1850s weren't exactly the pinnacle of American political stability

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

davecrazy posted:

It happened 11 times in the 1800s, which considering there were 50 Speaker elections in that time period meant a roughly 22% chance of it at any given session.

So not all the time, but surprisingly frequent. Compare that with the 1900s where it happened...once.

Edit: oh, you meant that particular decade (missed the 5)...point still stands, though it was pretty frequent in that period, yeah.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Oh my God it's Jordan? That's the one the rebels chose?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

gently caress, I really thought he was going to nominate Trump.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

crazy is gonna crazy, lol

Put the screws to McCarthy, that bastard deserves the torture

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That has-been?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hell yeah, Matt "17 is too old for me, find a younger one" Gaetz is going full Chaos Mode and nominating Gym Jordan against Jordan's will.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
lmao mccarthy's loving done if the jim jordan camp are airing out dirty laundry like this

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1610355165634207747

I'm guessing Jim Jordan didn't try whipping very hard for McCarthy

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

he's the realistic far-right option. If the far right wont vote for the slimy snake, the moderates won't vote for a far-right crazyass either. Thats the calculation, anyway. Jordan still has to show initial loyalty until its clear McCarthy cant win, then he reluctantly accepts leadership. We'll see if it happens that way.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Overheard on a hot mic: "That was odd and existential"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Youth Decay posted:

MTG will still be mad that she didn't get her sweet deal with McCarthy

She failed to deliver, she's lucky they're letting her back on committees at all. This means AOC and the rest of the squad aren't going to get removed from their various committees either imo, whoever ends up as Speaker simply won't have the votes.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
There's no way Trump would want the job and no way for him to win it anyway since there are at least 10 votes to veto him in any scenario. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't gotten an orphan vote or two but suspect they just don't want to annoy him.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Aaaand another ballot down without a winner

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly if McCarthy had any sense he'd start whipping for Jeffries as a show of force. He's not gonna be the speaker anyways, him and his supporters need to do something or they'll just be swept aside.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
McCarthy loses round 2 to Jordan :haw:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

nine-gear crow posted:

Hell yeah, Matt "17 is too old for me, find a younger one" Gaetz is going full Chaos Mode and nominating Gym Jordan against Jordan's will.

It's not against Jordan's will, he's 100% doing "well shucks y'all, if you want me I will humbly accept" act about how the one who doesn't want power is the best one to have it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

We hit five already. Looks like we're going three ballots pals!

E: wow ticked up to 6 while I was typing!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Black Smoke! We still do not have a holy house pope

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

12 rounds of every no-McCarthy contingent nominating a different member every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TGLT posted:

Honestly if McCarthy had any sense he'd start whipping for Jeffries as a show of force. He's not gonna be the speaker anyways, him and his supporters need to do something or they'll just be swept aside.

there isn't another realistic candidate is the thing, and this would be incredibly stupid