Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
there was also that bit when he was filming kon-ducki (timely reference to every kids favorite book) and the name on his directors chair kept changing and i remember losing my poo poo at "Plunky Dunk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

helsabot posted:

there was also that bit when he was filming kon-ducki (timely reference to every kids favorite book) and the name on his directors chair kept changing and i remember losing my poo poo at "Plunky Dunk"

the episode itself is great but the bit with hamton trying to read the "mango juice" line made it god tier. it's been years since i seen it but i cackled like an idiot every time i came across it

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I've been watching Disenchantment. It's really good! I think they do a great job with all of the characters and I love the performances. I adore Abbi Jacobson and John DiMaggio is of course a tour de force. I'm down for the Shrek style "What if medieval fantasy but modern" humour, but also they don't rely on it too heavily. I think it's really nice to look at, it uses a very muted colour palette but the backgrounds are so detailed it's a visual delight.

The stupid elf name jokes never fail to get a laugh out of me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Beartaco posted:

I've been watching Disenchantment. It's really good! I think they do a great job with all of the characters and I love the performances. I adore Abbi Jacobson and John DiMaggio is of course a tour de force. I'm down for the Shrek style "What if medieval fantasy but modern" humour, but also they don't rely on it too heavily. I think it's really nice to look at, it uses a very muted colour palette but the backgrounds are so detailed it's a visual delight.

The stupid elf name jokes never fail to get a laugh out of me.

Blink twice if you're being held hostage.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Plucky Duck was eye rollingly, offensively bad and unfunny.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Blink twice if you're being held hostage.

I'll blink as I please.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

eh i feel a good chunk of tiny toons holds up pretty well. moreso than animaniacs, imo

Tiny Toons comes off like “Poochie” 90’s stuff now. That said, the “How I Spent My Summer Vacation” VHS tape I had saw heavy rotation when I was a kid and I watch it every few years for the nostalgia. Plucky’s whole ordeal with Happyworldland and only getting to ride the monorail when he finally gets there is gold.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Big Beef City posted:

Plucky Duck was eye rollingly, offensively bad and unfunny.

Big Beef City goes down the hole

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Plucky’s whole ordeal with Happyworldland and only getting to ride the monorail when he finally gets there is gold.

I'm going to go on every ride till I puke twice

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

TBH, although it was my second favorite WB show, Animaniacs had some real stinker segments in it, too. The Hip Hippos? Boring as poo poo. Rita and Runt? A singing cat and Rain Man dog because…? Buttons and Mindy? Yawn.

Now Freakazoid, that was the best WB show, and it wasn’t because of the main character; it was Cosgrove. “Hey, cut it out!”

That show had a great universe of characters, like Candlejack who would show up whenever you wou

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
TIL Martin is a 36 year old undercover cop.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That was one of the few moments in that ep that got a chuckle out of me.
Watched the new Nelson-Moe episode and it just passed out of my brain immediately. Except Bart is good at hockey I guess?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought Disenchantment was much less than the sum of its parts. Had a great cast who had good performances, the animation was good, the premise is good. All that comes together to make .... eh.

Their determination to make it a serialized fantasy adventure instead of one-off fantasy trope comedy episodes hurt the show badly.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That was one of the few moments in that ep that got a chuckle out of me.
Watched the new Nelson-Moe episode and it just passed out of my brain immediately. Except Bart is good at hockey I guess?

I thought that episode was kinda not bad as far as newsimp goes. A single plot line, some amusing hockey jabs, and it seemed like the animation was more loose/old-fashioned.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Except Bart is good at hockey I guess?

To be fair, he was established as a star hockey player in Lisa On Ice, even if they haven't referenced it in like 25 years

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/1608672039308517378?s=20

This twitter man said the recent episodes are good?

I assume it is some kind of elaborate troll or possible dementia.

unless...

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bone emulator posted:

unless...

Guessing a mixture of trolling and some folk enjoying lights and sounds being made by their TVs.

Would be fun to tell current Simpsons writers they have to write a season but can’t reference Disco Stu, the Sea Captain, or Sideshow Mel, and watch them go into a panic.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bone emulator posted:

unless...

So, when was this guy in college?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So, when was this guy in college?

2012-2016.

(no. looks like probably mid 90s to early 00s?)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Tiny Toons comes off like “Poochie” 90’s stuff now. That said, the “How I Spent My Summer Vacation” VHS tape I had saw heavy rotation when I was a kid and I watch it every few years for the nostalgia. Plucky’s whole ordeal with Happyworldland and only getting to ride the monorail when he finally gets there is gold.

went back to watch some of it, and man, the first season is quite rough. but thankfully the show does get progressively better as time goes on

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked the Istanbul and Particle Man skits

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

You Are A Elf posted:

TBH, although it was my second favorite WB show, Animaniacs had some real stinker segments in it, too. The Hip Hippos? Boring as poo poo. Rita and Runt? A singing cat and Rain Man dog because…? Buttons and Mindy? Yawn.

For the why for Rita, it's because they had Bernadette Peters to do the voice for her. So having a Broadway singer, they made her sing knockoffs of musicals. I assume that's like 90% of the reason those segments existed.

Also someone mentioned the Plucky Duck show earlier, I am pretty sure that was indeed a full spinoff, not just a few episodes.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

HJE-Cobra posted:

Also someone mentioned the Plucky Duck show earlier, I am pretty sure that was indeed a full spinoff, not just a few episodes.

There was a 13 episode run of The Plucky Duck Show, but apart from the first episode it was just made up of shorts pulled from various Tiny Toons episodes, and that first episode ended up in the TT rotation later.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Freakazoid > Animaniacs, deal with it nerds

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The whole variety show formula is tricky to pull off at the best of times. A lot of the time you just end up with a lot of one-note characters built around about the same joke.

There's also a ton of 'spinoff babies' things back in the 90s, which I suppose nowadays is everything getting a 'chibi' little lower-budget cartoon spinoff.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like how you only remember the good SNL sketches. 80% of them were dire

(and even the good ones, more often than not "the one joke" just happened to hit right)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Freakazoid > Animaniacs, deal with it nerds

this is the correct answer

to be more precise:

freakazoid > pinky and the brain >= tiny toons > animaniacs

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I remember liking Taz Mania as a kid. It probably wouldn’t hold up now, but neither does Tiny Toons.

Same, and I thought both of their theme songs were catchy as hell.

Speaking of catchy theme songs in cartoons that I liked but currently remember none of because I was single-digit-aged when they went off, Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. BEETLEJUUUUICE! :stare:

The Moon Monster posted:

Same, but that was probably just because I inherently liked every cartoon when I was 6.

This guy gets it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I find any of those shows impossible to watch for the most part. The orchestra based sound effects make me depressed for some reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also funny that there's several sets of expanded Itchy and Scratchy casts mentioned across the show, both the original ones from the black and white era and some from a forgotten short-lived spinoff that come up in the Itchy and Scratchyland episode. It's the kinda thing every drat show seems to do every now and again, with no memory of the past. Though nowadays it's more the style to bring back the weird and obscure elements of a franchise with a retool that makes them actually work, or at least as fun jokes for a series that's clearly doing its own thing. The DuckTales reboot comes to mind.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I find any of those shows impossible to watch for the most part. The orchestra based sound effects make me depressed for some reason.

they don't make me depressed but i do find them really loving annoying

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Data Graham posted:

It's like how you only remember the good SNL sketches. 80% of them were dire

(and even the good ones, more often than not "the one joke" just happened to hit right)
Yeah now that I concentrate hard I remember a lot of watching SNL as a kid was me just being like "oh. Well. They tried with that one." with most of the skits. It helps that it's easy to laugh when you're young and Phil Hartman does just about anything.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah now that I concentrate hard I remember a lot of watching SNL as a kid was me just being like "oh. Well. They tried with that one." with most of the skits. It helps that it's easy to laugh when you're young and Phil Hartman does just about anything.

I definitely liked it when I was little in the 90s but looking up a sketch I remember fondly often results in learning Mike Myers had been doing yellowface in the scene.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Mr Interweb posted:

they don't make me depressed but i do find them really loving annoying

You people have no magic in your hearts.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Sourdough Sam posted:

You people have no magic in your hearts.

Me, having the time of my life narrowly avoiding various anvils, saws, and suspiciously rubbery planks of wood:

https://youtu.be/qaC0vNLdLvY

Those posters, nodding thoughtfully while a bunch of characters with Rick and Morty asterisk pupils and Big Mouth gaping maws talk about the importance of talk therapy to overcome generational trauma:

https://youtu.be/nj6YamxIv4o

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
If I see a cartoon character sneaking around, carefully taking each step, I wanna hear some motherfucking cello strings getting plucked.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
did you guys just not grow up watching Looney Tunes or what

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sourdough Sam posted:

If I see a cartoon character sneaking around, carefully taking each step, I wanna hear some motherfucking cello strings getting plucked.

I am carefully looking around a corner; the violin proves it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Empty Sandwich posted:

did you guys just not grow up watching Looney Tunes or what

I grew up watching mostly Nicktoons -- Rugrats, Ah Real Monsters, and Ren & Stimpy are the ones I remember most clearly/fondly.

When I got older, I got obsessed with Thundercats (I named my first cat Panthro, may he rest in peace), Voltron, and Scooby Doo Where Are You on Cartoon Network. (edit: and Cartoon Planet)

So yeah, I guess I somehow managed to avoid Looney Tunes entirely, assuming we're not counting the spinoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

I grew up watching mostly Nicktoons -- Rugrats, Ah Real Monsters, and Ren & Stimpy are the ones I remember most clearly/fondly.

When I got older, I got obsessed with Thundercats (I named my first cat Panthro, may he rest in peace), Voltron, and Scooby Doo Where Are You on Cartoon Network. (edit: and Cartoon Planet)

So yeah, I guess I somehow managed to avoid Looney Tunes entirely, assuming we're not counting the spinoffs.

Looney Tunes seems to have a sorta cap around the 80's, when it got replaced with the Disney Afternoon and Fox Kids. If you had a local UHF channel with a park ranger or a clown that was pared with a puppet, you saw so many Looney Tunes during the mornings/afternoons. I even remember blocks of Looney Tunes on Saturday mornings (where they edited out the violence, much to my dad's chagrin)

I guess sometime around 1991, they figured out those time slots could be filled with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and James Bond Jr.