Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Skip was inserting himself into the subject and saying something to provoke a response while also giving himself plausible deniability that he wasn't actually being callous. It wasn't poorly worded, he didn't fail to read the room, he did exactly what he set out to do and got exactly what he wanted: taking something and making it about Skip Bayless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

MJeff posted:

Skip was inserting himself into the subject and saying something to provoke a response while also giving himself plausible deniability that he wasn't actually being callous. It wasn't poorly worded, he didn't fail to read the room, he did exactly what he set out to do and got exactly what he wanted: taking something and making it about Skip Bayless.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Q_res posted:

Yeah the little tagged on bit about that huge paragraph not really mattering felt like weasel language.

Huge paragraph is a stretch. He says the NFL must be considering cancelling, wonders how they can do that given the complications, then says it ultimately doesn’t matter. It was posted when nobody knew what was going to happen, whether the game was going to be restarted, and plenty of people were wondering the same thing including some on the thread here. Would the NFL actually dare to postpone or cancel the game?

Skip is a troll but he’s never struck me as particularly bloodthirsty.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Well.

gently caress.

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/ByKimberleyA/status/1610366717867458560

Docjowles posted:

Yeah and it's money at a scale that, if invested in something safe, is basically self sustaining. Fundraising becomes a non issue unless he wants to get a lot more ambitious. Hell he could put it in a lovely online bank account and it would throw off almost $200k per year in interest at current rates which is orders of magnitude beyond what he'd been doing.

Yep, like, if nothing else, once he wakes up he'll have the resources to do at least far more lavish toy drives all across Pittsburgh's less wealthy neighborhoods, and probably in Buffalo and Cincinnati's, too, and probably some back-to-school supply stuff, too. The question is how much more he'll be able to do, and what form that's going to take, be it deeper community programs or outreach to try and address the issues that led to him living the childhood he did and McKees Rocks, and neighborhoods like it, being the way they are in the 21st century.

We'll just have to see what he wants to do once he recovers.

Since he will recover. He will.

(also lol gofundme is having trouble staying up under the sheer crush of people coming on to donate)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Wrong thread

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Do we have any more reliable information about how long it took the CPR administration to regain a pulse?

I wasn't watching live, how fast did the CPR actually begin?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SpaceDrake posted:

(also lol gofundme is having trouble staying up under the sheer crush of people coming on to donate)
Refreshing it to see the donation number march ever upward is what is getting me through the day.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Refreshing it to see the donation number march ever upward is what is getting me through the day.

:same:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

mdemone posted:

Do we have any more reliable information about how long it took the CPR administration to regain a pulse?

I wasn't watching live, how fast did the CPR actually begin?

1. no
2. the broadcast didn't show it. There was a video I posted earlier after the ambulance drove onto the field (About 3-4 minutes after he collapsed) that showed players being unable to watch the scene and turning away. It looks like you can see hands going up and down, so CPR was happening at that point for sure and it was specualted that the thing that caused players to turn away was watching the AED device being used.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mdemone posted:

nine minutes

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I read a report somewhere that he was being bagged well before the ambulance showed up so it wasn't just like trainers standing around looking at him. Feel its safe to assume that CPR started within a minute or so after he collapsed, or as soon as a medical person got onto the field and saw what was happening

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Training staff got there within a minute of him collapsing, It's just a question of how quickly they figured out what they needed to do.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Aw gently caress

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Training staff got there within a minute of him collapsing, It's just a question of how quickly they figured out what they needed to do.

I hope, and assume, the first thing they do is check for response and on not getting any check for pulse.. then immediately begin CPR. I'm not sure if you cut the pads or whatever which might take longer (do the pads cover the sternum enough to interfere ith cpr? But like, realistically, he probably got CPR as fast as humanely possible considering the amount of trained medical professionals on the sidelines. We just don't know for sure -- and nor do the broadcasters or journalists. A couple of them at the game said the view was always obscured by players and they couldnt' see.

Ugh so this did get confirmed. nine minutes.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Was that due to the CPR or the AED?

Edit: Put a quote in, plus wanted to clarify that I can't access the linked article. :(

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Although I did see a pretty similar length of time for a successful CPR once, patient awake and alert within the hour. I swear it had to be ten minutes without a pulse although I wasn't checking my watch

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Re-read the athletic's story on it has some more timeline details.

https://theathletic.com/4053472/2023/01/03/bills-bengals-damar-hamlin/

quote:

"As Hamlin collapsed at 8:55 p.m. ET, the response on the field was immediate and hurried. Bills medical personnel rushed onto the field, stabilizing his head and neck. Doctors instantly called for a stretcher from the Bengals’ sideline and rushed it onto the field"

[...]

"The medical staff unscrewed Hamlin’s facemask, quickly gave him oxygen from a portable tank and appeared to administer CPR for about eight minutes.

[...]

Hamlin was lifted off the ground in a stretcher after being worked on for 15 minutes, leaving the field at approximately 9:10 p.m. ET.

[...]
The Bills walked back in near silence, the idling ambulance within their eyesight. The ambulance waited nearly 15 minutes while Paycor Stadium security attempted to locate Hamlin’s loved ones in attendance.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Been a few pages now, so linking again: https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive
Almost at $4.7m now. Hoping that there will be a bunch of people learning about this after getting home from work this evening that push it over $5m.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

why would the ambulance wait?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
You want to stabilize to certain extent before shoving someone in a car and swerving down roads.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

They were probably intobating?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The ambulance was waiting for his mom.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Huge paragraph is a stretch. He says the NFL must be considering cancelling, wonders how they can do that given the complications, then says it ultimately doesn’t matter.

So then why post it since it doesn't matter?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It was posted when nobody knew what was going to happen, whether the game was going to be restarted, and plenty of people were wondering the same thing including some on the thread here. Would the NFL actually dare to postpone or cancel the game?

And most decent people at that time were in universal agreement that none of that poo poo mattered at that moment and was, for all intents and purposes, irrelevant.

At the time that it happened, being in this thread and the GDT thread, NO one was openly opining about the game, when it would be played, how it would be played, except for that it didn't matter.

Except for Skip, who immediately wondered these things, and just had to give the first take.

It was heartless, poorly worded, and reflective of his overall callousness and beady-eyed rear end in a top hat approach to most things and he rightfully got called out for it. It has nothing to do with comprehension and everything to do with just being a decent human.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TheKevman posted:

Except for Skip, who immediately wondered these things, and just had to give the first take.

Live by the hot take, die by the hot take

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
He was likely intubated on the field. Securing airway is the first thing you do after you start CPR and bagging.

The ambulance was likely sitting there because he was either presumed dying/dead and they were trying to do CPR away from the public, or he got ROSC and they thought he was stable enough to wait a couple minutes for family. I assume the latter is what happened but I'm not sure since in most cases you would still haul rear end to a hospital and tell the mom to catch a cab or something. But I don't want to speculate too much.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, it's been made fairly explicit elsewhere that they were waiting for Damar's mom to reach the ambulance so she could ride along.

That would either be done if he was guaranteed to die very soon, or if it looked like he was fairly stable already.

Given that he's still alive, that's a fairly good sign.

Anyway, the real question is "how long did it take to make sure enough oxygen was reaching his brain". Everything else is secondary. And it sounds like oxygen circulation happened within a minute, even if his cardiovascular activity was mostly externally-induced for a while.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TheKevman posted:

So then why post it since it doesn't matter?

And most decent people at that time were in universal agreement that none of that poo poo mattered at that moment and was, for all intents and purposes, irrelevant.

At the time that it happened, being in this thread and the GDT thread, NO one was openly opining about the game, when it would be played, how it would be played, except for that it didn't matter.

He posted it because it’s what he does. He talks and posts about sports stuff for a living. It was a big sports thing that was happening and he posted about it. It wasn’t a good tweet but it seems like it was just a guy with sports commentator brain grappling with a moment that he’s not really equipped to handle well. I don’t think he was saying they needed to finish the game which is how a lot of people seemed to read it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

adaz posted:

From the new york times story where they asked cardiologists about his injury. Basically echoes what fiz, etc have been saying around here about what happened and his chances. They all thought other types of cardiac arrest were unlikely based on his age, fitness condition, and the fact the NFL extensively tests players routinely.

In addition to being the cardiologist for the Patriots, Red Sox, and Bruins, Dr. Baggish (quoted in the piece) runs the cardiology clinic I go to (and treats a few of my family members) — they run a special program for professional and recreational athletes who run into unusual heart problems because of their physical fitness, e.g. myopathy among others. They diagnosed (and are now treating) a few things up with me that no other cardiologist had ever picked up on. They produce good research that might be interesting to people reading this thread who want to deal with their anxiety/feelings by nerding out about stuff.

https://www.massgeneral.org/heart-center/treatments-and-services/cardiovascular-performance-program

Petey fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 3, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

There isn’t an appreciable difference between ACLS in the hospital and in the field and the first 10min are the most critical. It’s hard to effectively resus someone in a moving vehicle and most large services have moved to working patients in place through and entire ACLS algorithm.

Post-ROSC is the most fragile time so we tend to hang pressors, anti-arrhythmics, sedate as needed for airway control and make sure we are maintaining pulses. If you lose them again in motion it’s harder to restart the resus without all the set pieces in place.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm a little surprised the NFL hasn't made a decision regarding the game already but I'm happy to hear Damlin's condition hasn't worsened over night, was thinking about it a lot getting into bed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Not that it matters but they hope the game is meaningless and just cancel it, ie KC wins and they are not playing for anything meaningful

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

MJeff posted:

he did exactly what he set out to do and got exactly what he wanted: taking something and making it about Skip Bayless.

and it's ok to call him a stinky fuckhole for the tweet, even if he did it on purpose

adaz posted:

I hope, and assume, the first thing they do is check for response and on not getting any check for pulse.. then immediately begin CPR. I'm not sure if you cut the pads or whatever which might take longer (do the pads cover the sternum enough to interfere ith cpr?

they can, but on a safety they're super unlikely to prevent full sternum access (since DBs and WRs all wear smaller/lighter pads for speed and agility) in the unlikely event they couldn't pop it open immediately

mdemone posted:

Although I did see a pretty similar length of time for a successful CPR once, patient awake and alert within the hour. I swear it had to be ten minutes without a pulse although I wasn't checking my watch

I listen to a podcast where the host (former D1 athlete who coincidentally was invited to Bills camp after graduation) went into cardiac arrest and his untrained wife did cpr for 20 minutes until paramedics could arrive and he made a full recovery

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

The three dudes in my fantasy league who actually won money decided to donate their winnings to his toy drive. Glad to have friends like these.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
the GoFundMe is almost to 5 mil, and people are dropping cash in large numbers!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tom Brady donated 10k

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tom Brady donated 10k

drat, after FTX that's probably half his net worth.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they might have done CPR for longer than necessary bc they couldn't find a pulse, not that there wasn't one. A weak thready pulse can be tough to detect by feel alone

that's the optimistic take. 8 minutes of CPR isn't "stick a fork in him" by any means but that's longer than you'd hope to see.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

they might have done CPR for longer than necessary bc they couldn't find a pulse, not that there wasn't one. A weak thready pulse can be tough to detect by feel alone

that's the optimistic take. 8 minutes of CPR isn't "stick a fork in him" by any means but that's longer than you'd hope to see.

Yeah. This case I saw had about 3-4 EMTs and RNs trying to find a pulse and could only get a thready one after ten minutes of CPR. But that's multiple highly-trained people trying to find a pulse at any spot they can.

It was also on a beach, so, not ideal conditions for finding a pulse even if the patient is alive and standing up.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

Chasing M's Foundation is indeed the name of it, and Damar founded it, but it wasn't even remotely this potential scale up to now. In previous years, he'd barely been pulling in enough donations to not just have to fund the toy drive himself. That's what Lifespan is getting at - a $4.4m+ foundation is going to really need some legal help for oversight and whatnot and to make sure it gets structured properly.

On that note, lol my god they just keep featuring it on ESPN and whatnot, and as a result get more and more eyeballs on it. It's just a sniff under $4.4 million right now and it doesn't look like it's gonna slow down a jot after that mark. Going beyond 5 million is a real possibility here.

Please, god, let him wake up to that. :unsmith:

One of my friends was hurt in the Boston Marathon bombing and was able to use the leftover money to create her own small foundation that gives money out to people to this day. And that was with 10s of thousands left over.

My point is yah, money of this amount is huge and can do a lot of good if managed right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
With the gofundme approaching $5m, I got curious and looked, it's more than the entire 4 year, $3.6m contract he currently has