Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
From the league's perspective one of the two wild-card teams winning would solve a lot of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not sure what rescheduling the game even accomplishes. You push back the playoff schedule by a week for a mostly pointless game

It isn't pointless in that it affects like 5 teams for seeding purposes

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
On top of it all I don’t know if the NFL wants to put the entire league on hold for one week and highlight one game that has to be made up/resumed because of a horrific injury. They try to downplay the violence of the game as it is.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

This is why nothing has been said yet. It's an incredibly complex problem that requires a ton of negotiation with many parties. The players may have their incomes affected seriously if they don't play the game. The rosters for Week 18 games may be different, exposing some teams who may have sat starters to more risk than they might have taken otherwise. Broadcasters and every team needs to all be consulted because they are almost certainly going to have to try to flex the Bills and Bengals Week 18 games to the latest time slots possible now. It's entirely possible the Bills may not be able to play Week 18 at all depending on how Hamlin's recovery goes.

It's a huge morass of poo poo without any good answers. There must be an army of lawyers trying to figure it all out right now. I don't envy anyone having to sort out the logistics of it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not sure what rescheduling the game even accomplishes. You push back the playoff schedule by a week for a mostly pointless game

A big primetime game with half the country watching ideally with Hamlin out there flipping the coin seems great to me, even if it just impacted seeding

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just remove the superbowl bye week and push it all back one week

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are we dead set against just flipping a loving coin?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

just award the super bowl to me, some dipshit in baltimore, and call it a season

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Just pick up where the game left off and play 5v5 until halftime, at which point Goodell says that he has seen enough and is willing to just call the game. Gentlemens' rule to not call any timeouts or challenge any plays. We can have this poo poo wrapped up in like 30 minutes tops.

Eifert Posting posted:

The only way the NFL allows this is if they can charge PPV for it on the NFL Network.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zurreco posted:

The only way the NFL allows this is if they can charge PPV for it on the NFL Network.

I'd.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Koirhor posted:

What about events already booked for the possible venues in the previously vacant week?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One of the very real concerns is that putting these two teams together with understandably unfocused athletes exponentially increases the chance of injuries.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

going to be some weird loving vibes if the bills and bengals end up facing again off in the playoffs

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Koirhor posted:

This is a poo poo ton of changes and disruption to resolve one game.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
i propose they do not replay the game, playing the playoffs based on win % as though it had been cancelled, but then the bills and bengals play during the bye before the superbowl, and if the outcome would've affected the seeding then they simply re-play the entire playoffs all over again.

i think sportsgenius86's idea is the best, in that it takes into account this particular situation of being a week out from the end of season into account and which teams exactly are affected. it sounds like the NFL rules or guidelines or whatever don't really provide for it as a possibility, which is too bad. as such, just cancel the game and move on.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
for starters, let's hope the Vikings won't be hosting the NFCCG if it gets pushed back: https://www.usbankstadium.com/events/detail/mpls-home-remodeling-show-2

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

i'm legitimately thinking we end up here

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Vando posted:

for starters, let's hope the Vikings won't be hosting the NFCCG if it gets pushed back: https://www.usbankstadium.com/events/detail/mpls-home-remodeling-show-2

Hmm. I’ve never been on the ground at The Bank. May have to wander over. Nothing else to do in January in Minnesota, anyway.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Josh Allen and Joe Burrow compete in a televised triathlon of bar games including darts foosball and pool to determine the outcome.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I work in politics and we flip coins all the time.

Down in Nevada if a presidential caucus precinct is tied they play loving High Card wins to appoint delegates.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Narcissus1916 posted:

Down in Nevada if a presidential caucus precinct is tied they play loving High Card wins to appoint delegates.

i went out to vegas in 2020 to help out with the caucuses and literally laughed out loud when the trainer mentioned this. perfect country, no notes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JPrime posted:

i went out to vegas in 2020 to help out with the caucuses and literally laughed out loud when the trainer mentioned this. perfect country, no notes.

There are stories from the Iowa caucus of people flipping coins and declaring the outcome without all parties even seeing the results.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah, but this is actually serious business.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

a neat cape posted:

So what are the options from a football perspective here? I know it's not important given the situation, but what else are we supposed to talk about?

1. Game is resumed at some point. Problem here is they've already ruled out resuming the game this week. So my guess here is that they play week 18 as normal, then debate resuming this game IF it has any seeding effects.

2. Call the game a tie. I think this is least likely. The game wasn't tied and it was still the first quarter. A tie hands the 1 seed to the Chiefs and the AFCN to the Bengals.

3. One of the teams forfeit. I think this is more likely than a tie, but still unlikely. Self explanatory.

4. Cancel the game. Cincinnati and Buffalo have a 16 game season and we use winning percentage to calculate everything else.

Some people touched on this, but NFL rules do not allow for #2 to occur. #3 can occur, but only when a team has done something like cheating which isn't present here. Similarly, the commissioner can terminate the game with the final score being equal to whatever it was when play was suspended. That cannot happen here, either, by rule because the game was not reasonably decided at the time of suspension. It was still in the first quarter. One and four are the only options available, and four seems most likely.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Eifert Posting posted:

There are stories from the Iowa caucus of people flipping coins and declaring the outcome without all parties even seeing the results.

texas bringing back pistols at dawn to settle election run offs when

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kidcoelacanth posted:

going to be some weird loving vibes if the bills and bengals end up facing again off in the playoffs

honestly the vibes would probably be awesome, the two fanbases are already molded together due to Andy Dalton sending the Bills to the playoffs like five years ago by beating the Ravens and Bills Mafia giving a shitload to his charity in return. If Hamlin pulls through, a Bills/Bengals playoff game would be the biggest party in the country

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Zwabu posted:

Josh Allen and Joe Burrow compete in a televised triathlon of bar games including darts foosball and pool to determine the outcome.

Betting the mortgage on Allen.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

JPrime posted:

texas bringing back pistols at dawn to settle election run offs when

Pistols are out, but apparently in Texas unarmed duels are still A-OK as long as both parties consent :clint:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kidcoelacanth posted:

I was thinking the same thing but about resuming the game. Just seems like it would be a nightmare for both teams.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Pistols are out, but apparently in Texas unarmed duels are still A-OK as long as both parties consent :clint:

Is it too late to do Beto v Abbot?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I can't imagine they are going to make any sweeping change this week and likely will just call the game a tie. Note that even the games that "don't matter" actually have a big impact on draft position.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Lifespan posted:

I can't imagine they are going to make any sweeping change this week and likely will just call the game a tie. Note that even the games that "don't matter" actually have a big impact on draft position.

I think this one wouldn't, unless both teams lost in the same round of the playoffs.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Cancel all Week 18 games, nullify all Week 17 games and bring the season back to 16 games like it's supposed to be.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Tayter Swift posted:

Cancel all Week 18 games, nullify all Week 17 games and bring the season back to 16 games like it's supposed to be.

If you nullify week 17, then we're down to 15 games

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
We will combine the Bills and Bengals rosters for the playoffs. Burrow and Josh Allen will play rock-paper-scissors between each play to determine who takes the next snap.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't think there's any really spicy scenarios that is going to make the NFL feel like they need to reschedule the game. There's really only four teams (Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Bengals) who are really effected by the outcome of the game, and I don't see any scenario where all 4 teams really need the game to be played. If the Raiders, Patriots and Bengals all win this weekend that's the spiciest outcome I can find, as it would make the winner of the Bills-Bengals the number one seed. But the Chiefs don't want that game, and the Ravens won't care. The winner would get a bye week, but the loser's first round opponent would get a bye, and likely head to KC in the 2nd round. That seems like a lovely proposition.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

MJeff posted:

We will combine the Bills and Bengals rosters for the playoffs. Burrow and Josh Allen will play rock-paper-scissors between each play to determine who takes the next snap.

I think it would be even more fair if the Cinfalo/Buffinnati Bilgals are allowed to field 22 players against the opposing team's 11, but in exchange their score is halved at the end of the game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has anyone suggested just playing Madden to resolve the game? Let Madden simulate it like 1000 times or something stupid like that.

That's a joke, btw.

Seriously, though. This really highlights why the league needs to add another playoff team and just have every team get a bye. The current set up is incredibly dumb as it is and this gives them an excuse to do it. And it will make for a better product, too.

But OH NO!! a week without football. What will they do?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Koirhor posted:

Or they could just cancel one game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

Who do you take off the field for Stefan diggs?

I would argue no one.

Likewise the Bengals corners would probably get bored pretty quickly.