Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If anyone is still struggling with the Mistlands, I suggest turning off the music and maybe even putting on some headphones. Everything makes a ton of noise so you will always know when to be careful even if you can't see anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

why

i spent so much time building a nice little house for you fuckers

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

why

i spent so much time building a nice little house for you fuckers

There aren't even corners in that house and they managed to cluster in one. Lol.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

joepinetree posted:

A metal from 2 biomes ago, not used much anymore, so we don't have a lot laying around.

Keeping biomes relevant imho is a Good Thing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Hasselblad posted:

Keeping biomes relevant imho is a Good Thing.

I think even the devs might be moving away from this outdated mindset, considering Mistlands has farmable iron and copper, and since fuslings start roaming every biome once you kill Yagluth, black metal stops being an issue as well. The only metals you still need to visit previous biomes for are silver and tin.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish goblins at least once in a while dropped iron.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Anyway, I hope there is a Hearth & Home v2.0 soon that focuses on base building more. Specifically, I think there should be some gameplay benefits to building with more advanced materials like darkwood and black marble, and upgrading your roof from thatch to tile and so on.

Comfort is a super useful mechanic, so maybe they can expand it whereby being in a base built out of stronger materials gives "enhanced comfort" with better bonuses or something.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Apparently at least some of my recent aggravation is due to, purely by chance, never having cut down a beech or oak tree.

The funny thing is I’m actually a hobbyist woodworker IRL and should’ve expected them to produce a different quality of wood.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

rjmccall posted:

Apparently at least some of my recent aggravation is due to, purely by chance, never having cut down a beech or oak tree.

The funny thing is I’m actually a hobbyist woodworker IRL and should’ve expected them to produce a different quality of wood.

Classic case of "oh, they DID go that far..."

Y'all might already know this, but another example of that is if a deer is down wind of you, they'll sense you way before you reach them.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 3, 2023

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Corpse runs are some of the best parts of the game, and the worst. I wouldn't blame anyone for going into dev mode and turning on flight and godmode for a few minutes if you traversed an ocean on a raft to get your corpse and then died again

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite story of attempting to avoid a corpse run is my ship got destroyed once in the middle of the ocean by a seadragon that I also killed at the same time, so I was sure I was going to lose everything and then noticed that your stamina didn't drain if you weren't moving. so I logged out, jumped on a different character, sailed a boat out, switched back, sailed it a bit, switched back, swam to it, sailed it a bit etc. until I could swim to shore lol

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I like how when I've clearly bitten off more than I can chew, gotten overwhelmed by a mob, poison, etc and I'm gonna die. Like when it's just a matter of time, my brain says, OK, in the next 3 seconds where can I run to make corpse retrial easier.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Glass of Milk posted:

Corpse runs are some of the best parts of the game, and the worst. I wouldn't blame anyone for going into dev mode and turning on flight and godmode for a few minutes if you traversed an ocean on a raft to get your corpse and then died again

Same. Those tools are a great way for people to selectively skip a scenario that isn't fun for them. On the flip side I would rather the devs not tweak the gameplay too much to make it less challenging. The Mistlands were way more dangerous prior to the last patch. Now I can comfortably solo there without any sense of peril. With a friend or 2 it's even easier.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

drewhead posted:

I like how when I've clearly bitten off more than I can chew, gotten overwhelmed by a mob, poison, etc and I'm gonna die. Like when it's just a matter of time, my brain says, OK, in the next 3 seconds where can I run to make corpse retrial easier.

Some of my favorite moments in the game are when things have clearly gone pear-shaped, but I barely get out of the situation alive. Popping a health mead and stamina mead at the same time, and then booking rear end, has been the difference between life and death more times than I can count.

In most games, I tend to hoard consumables, but Valheim hits that sweet spot of them being easy enough to acquire while simultaneously making the difficulty spiky enough to warrant using them semi-regularly.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"I'm just gonna take a little peek in this second Mistlands area that I found, I don't have a portal but it's okay, I'll be careful!"

Ah, the hubris of man.

Also, I am never going to mod corpse runs out of this game. (I am typing this while sailing on yet another corpse run.)

In other news:

I was trying to figure out a trick to kill Serpents in a way that lets me grab the scales and trophy without the whole song and dance of harpooning them to shore. So I figured, let's try this:

1. Shoot serpent to near death
2. Let it come up to chomp the boat
3. Jump overboard with the arbalest loaded, shoot the serpent to death mid-air
4. Land in the loot pile just before it sinks

I was getting parts 1-3 done easily, but couldn't quite nail the timing or the aim of my jump for part 4. But then on one attempt, I actually fumbled part 3, somehow whiffing the shot and landing on top of the serpent. This is when I discovered something cool: The collision model of a serpent's head is actually even enough to stand on.

Thus, I found myself riding a serpent around. And then I found out that yes, if I then kill the serpent from under me, I do in fact get the scales and trophy before they sink.

gently caress your harpoons, call me the serpent rider! :black101:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Nordick posted:

"I'm just gonna take a little peek in this second Mistlands area that I found, I don't have a portal but it's okay, I'll be careful!"

Ah, the hubris of man.

Also, I am never going to mod corpse runs out of this game. (I am typing this while sailing on yet another corpse run.)

Is your map generation a bunch of small islands? How'd you manage to get that? I think that'd be interacting to play on rather than what I normally get.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Spudd posted:

Is your map generation a bunch of small islands? How'd you manage to get that? I think that'd be interacting to play on rather than what I normally get.

It's kinda archipelago-y yeah, a bunch of bigger landmasses interspersed by smaller islands in between. If you wanna take a closer look, the seed is "Revachol".

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Nordick posted:

It's kinda archipelago-y yeah, a bunch of bigger landmasses interspersed by smaller islands in between. If you wanna take a closer look, the seed is "Revachol".

Cheers dude! Speaking of is there a website or a wiki that has other interesting seed generations on them?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Geez, I would’ve killed for that Elder placement.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Spudd posted:

Cheers dude! Speaking of is there a website or a wiki that has other interesting seed generations on them?

There's a subreddit just for that. Most of the seeds on there tend to be ones with bosses all concentrated close to spawn, but there's more if you dig around. For example, my personal favorite, CdjvRssbHZ.

If you want to 'try before you buy', you can use the Valheim World Generator to see a full map of the seed, but obviously doing so is going to spoil you on exploration, so YMMV. Also fair warning, it's a very CPU intensive tool, even when not actively generating a map.

E: Also, the Nexus has a bunch of pre-generated worlds from a bunch of different fictional worlds built using a mod called Better Continents, but I think most/all of them were made before Mistlands, so I have no idea how useful any of them are

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 4, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Btw, seeds might get outdated after updates, bosses and many other structures might spawn in different locations, even terrain and biome distribution were changed to some extent after Mistlands update.
So if you find some older seed posted and you like it based on boss placement or something else, it's good idea to check how much it changed since then on that world map generator website.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Does anybody else have horrible server performance thanks to Mistlands? I *just* had a dedicated server (my old gaming PC) running pre-Mistlands Vaheim in November with 6-7 people and it was fine the entire time. Fire it back up after a completely clean reinstall for Mistlands and people have desyncs and stuttering even at 3-5 clients. Running a decently light collection of mods (Death Tweaks / Epic Loot / V+ / Creature and Loot Control) and there's minimal terrain manipulation. Today I went in and did the rate limit hack and performance got a little better, but still worse compared to last month. We aren't even in Mistlands yet.

It's absolutely not a hardware or network issue either. I've got a decently beastly gaming PC (for last gen) running it with zero other things in the background and a gigabit fiber line.

Yes, I've been running in to this as well with our dedicated server running zero mods. Did the same rate limit hack and it still gets dicey when we all get together for boss fights. Glad to know it's not just my setup.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 4, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Can one of you guys link the rate limit hack you're referring to? There seems to be a number of ways to do it, but at least one is a couple years old so I'm wondering which one is up to date.

Thanks in advance.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One thing I quietly love about the mountains is that while it takes awhile to break into them (especially if you get unlucky with wolf trophy spawns) is that you don't really need to build a base there and once you got a few required silver items, you don't need to come back for extended periods of time. That, and your total silver load isn't that high.

You need maybe 75 silver if you go for Fenris armor instead of wolf armor, and that is maybe 2 or 3 round trips carrying the silver ore. I found it a lot easier to build a base near the foot of the mountains and run up/back out whenever I got full, or repurpose an old swamp or black forest base if it is close enough.

20 for draugr fang, 30 for frostner, 12 for a new shield and the wolf fang spear and you're basically set. Oddities here and there for things like the chopping block and yeah, you're done. And once you get a more durable way to resist frost it's easy enough to pop back in for some extra silver if your base needs it.

The biggest hassle is getting the 3 dragon eggs up to Moder, depending on where her spawn is.

Finding cultist caves is a pain sometimes though.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My experience with ice caves so far is that the cultist trophy is far too rare (one of us may have one, but I doubt it) on top of fur not being placed nearly enough. And this is being said where we have multiple absurdly generous mountain biomes, the likes of which I never would have dreamed of happening back in 2021 spring.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Cultists not respawning makes it theoretically possible you just don't get to make a Fenris set too. They should at least show up at night with the Fenrings.

Unlikely, but possible.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 5, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I swear the game makes a conscious effort to punish me when I don't carry portal supplies in my back pocket.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Look at the thing I built

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Can one of you guys link the rate limit hack you're referring to? There seems to be a number of ways to do it, but at least one is a couple years old so I'm wondering which one is up to date.

Thanks in advance.

This is the up to date one:

https://jamesachambers.com/revisiting-fixing-valheim-lag-modifying-send-receive-limits/

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

One thing I quietly love about the mountains is that while it takes awhile to break into them (especially if you get unlucky with wolf trophy spawns) is that you don't really need to build a base there and once you got a few required silver items, you don't need to come back for extended periods of time. That, and your total silver load isn't that high.

You need maybe 75 silver if you go for Fenris armor instead of wolf armor, and that is maybe 2 or 3 round trips carrying the silver ore. I found it a lot easier to build a base near the foot of the mountains and run up/back out whenever I got full, or repurpose an old swamp or black forest base if it is close enough.

20 for draugr fang, 30 for frostner, 12 for a new shield and the wolf fang spear and you're basically set. Oddities here and there for things like the chopping block and yeah, you're done. And once you get a more durable way to resist frost it's easy enough to pop back in for some extra silver if your base needs it.

The biggest hassle is getting the 3 dragon eggs up to Moder, depending on where her spawn is.

Finding cultist caves is a pain sometimes though.

IMO if you're primarily mobility/ranged focused, it's better to just skip the wolf cape entirely. A fully upgraded wolf cape costs 16 silver, 30 wolf pelts, and 1 wolf trophy, compared to the lox cape costing 18 lox pelts and a grand total of 2 silver. Now you'd have to farm lox instead of wolves, but it's doable with a little preparation, especially if you've got fully upgraded Fenris set and Draugr Fang already.

Reik posted:

Look at the thing I built

You built a pretty thing. Any way I could get a few closer shots/multiple angles of that roof? Not that I plan to steal it, but I plan to steal it

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 5, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only really necessary item that needs silver is frostner.

Fenris armor is mandatory but that's its own pita.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
brb, updating my priors about the endgame to include the mass production of carrots

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No kidding, if I could have one system fleshed out it would be cooking

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

IMO if you're primarily mobility/ranged focused, it's better to just skip the wolf cape entirely. A fully upgraded wolf cape costs 16 silver, 30 wolf pelts, and 1 wolf trophy, compared to the lox cape costing 18 lox pelts and a grand total of 2 silver. Now you'd have to farm lox instead of wolves, but it's doable with a little preparation, especially if you've got fully upgraded Fenris set and Draugr Fang already.

You built a pretty thing. Any way I could get a few closer shots/multiple angles of that roof? Not that I plan to steal it, but I plan to steal it

Yeah but 3 extra armor certainly isn't worth upgrading the cape for, so you're still looking at 4 silver for it. Which is a lot easier to get than a fully upgraded fenris set, jesus. I've found enough hair for one piece of it at base and I'm at well over 100 silver from that one mountain.

Also the wolf cape looks way better than the lox cape.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Also the wolf cape looks way better than the lox cape.

Hard disagree.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

No kidding, if I could have one system fleshed out it would be cooking

Fish wraps are great, but give me more of a reason to fish. The fish and bread aren't worth the hassle.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

Sure thing, I can take some more pictures when I get home. If you were looking for stuff to steal though I'd recommend this channel, they make some incredible looking stuff and were the inspiration behind the design.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwuyE6U-jMh2HHUNU_kEaiWakRkxy1d8i

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Wanted to host a Valheim server somewhere.
Anything special to look out for among hosting providers, anything in regards to mod support and managing it?

Edit: Found this earlier post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958782&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post512663252

imHitchens fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 5, 2023

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I think the game should give you practical reasons for building bases in different biomes. It would be cool, for example, if the bonuses you get from comfort increased as you built additional bases. A meadows base could provide a basic bonus to stamina regen, then adding a black forest base could add health regen boost, and so on. That way you aren't just farming the bare minimum materials and defeating mobs and bosses to advance, but are encouraged to actually conquerthe biome by building a permanent presence there.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Slow News Day posted:

I think the game should give you practical reasons for building bases in different biomes. It would be cool, for example, if the bonuses you get from comfort increased as you built additional bases. A meadows base could provide a basic bonus to stamina regen, then adding a black forest base could add health regen boost, and so on. That way you aren't just farming the bare minimum materials and defeating mobs and bosses to advance, but are encouraged to actually conquerthe biome by building a permanent presence there.

They kind of do this in the plains since it's the only place to grow flax and barley, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
They do this in general because the best way to do any non swamp biome (and arguably the swamp as well) is to make an outpost there and smelt and farm etc in situ rather than carting huge amounts of stuff around the map.

It would be... interesting but probably not good... if the various biome plants all required their biome or higher to survive the way that plains crops do, btu I'm nto sure I'd want to have to maintain a swamp or mountain farm...