Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sailormoon posted:

Any recommended headphones to enjoy lossless music on my iPhone? I currently have a pair of AirPod Max but need to hear Phoebe Bridgers at the highest quality

Any good pair of wired headphones and the Apple Dongle. As a starter I'd say look at something like the Sennheiser 560S or Hifiman HE400se.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a headphones thread that can answer this! But yeah, whatever your preferred good headphones plus the Apple adapter is all you need unless you find the headphones underpowered, then get a USB headphone amp, I guess.

You're probably not going to notice much of a difference.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sailormoon posted:

Any recommended headphones to enjoy lossless music on my iPhone? I currently have a pair of AirPod Max but need to hear Phoebe Bridgers at the highest quality
A pair of Dan Clark Stealths powered by a Fiio Q7 should get you pretty good results for just under 5 grand.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Mr. Mercury posted:

I legit can't believe that the expert shared lexicon (ITU-R BS.2399-0) is something people put up with at all. It's such a perfect indicator something's bullshit in marketing or discussion

Wait, I googled this and found a pdf, not sure if the link will work or not:

https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/opb/rep/R-REP-BS.2399-2017-PDF-E.pdf

Is this a joke?? Seems like a joke, like the scientific paper describing the process of getting antihistamines from meth

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

njsykora posted:

Any good pair of wired headphones and the Apple Dongle. As a starter I'd say look at something like the Sennheiser 560S or Hifiman HE400se.

I have the 400SE’s and the Apple dongle is woefully underpowered for planar headphones.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

namlosh posted:

Wait, I googled this and found a pdf, not sure if the link will work or not:

https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/opb/rep/R-REP-BS.2399-2017-PDF-E.pdf

Is this a joke?? Seems like a joke, like the scientific paper describing the process of getting antihistamines from meth

it's where those seemingly inappropriate adjectives describing sound come from! In areas where there aren't good words to describe something (like in sensory subjects that describe an experience and not hard science) a consensus lexicon is sometimes established to moor conversations in something that could approach a shared understanding. But in audio, it's... rough.

though at this point most audiophiles are just fumbling for words that'd sound good in a wine review

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 3, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr. Mercury posted:

though at this point most audiophiles are just fumbling for words that'd sound good in a wine review
I have read the phrase "chocolatey blacks" in an audio equipment review.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I guess like, the only people that should be using this are product engineers and designers because the average jerk isn't gonna understand what these mean so maybe just don't

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kind of get what "soundstage" means

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like i assume it's referring to stuff like the process of finding the right place to listen to stereo speakers so your brain successfully puts the two channels together or whatever it is, it's still kind of a funny term

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
My understanding of soundstage is that it's basically the sense of the direction and distance of different instruments in a recording or a mix. Most relevant in a classical music or jazz setting, like being able to close your eyes and pick out where in the ensemble the cellos are, versus the flutes, and the horns, etc. Etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
arent some of the software-based 3D audio calibration things like on new bluetooth headphones really good at that

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

arent some of the software-based 3D audio calibration things like on new bluetooth headphones really good at that

many use ML to try to calculate how your ear shape will affect it and adjust accordingly, but it's still mainly just "not dogshit most of the time"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boss has these guitar amp headphones that simulate your speaker's location if that's something you'd want.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

qirex posted:

I have read the phrase "chocolatey blacks" in an audio equipment review.

Is that warmer than "inky blacks"?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spookygonk posted:

Is that warmer than "inky blacks"?

They taste better, certainly.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well my long journey has ended. IEMs do not sound better anymore, just different. In the end, I just make myself my own tuned stuff using a 14.8mm planar driver (out of the Letshuoer S12). I did buy a nice DAC and Amplifier and still have a few including a tube amp for different shades of tonality, but the hobby is loving insane with 2000-6000 dollar iems. Hyper consumerism is not something I feel good being part of, so I am going to stop making videos and reviews. Maybe an odd one here or there, but I can't be part of this poo poo anymore.

It's been fun though, very fun.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr. Mercury posted:

it's where those seemingly inappropriate adjectives describing sound come from! In areas where there aren't good words to describe something (like in sensory subjects that describe an experience and not hard science) a consensus lexicon is sometimes established to moor conversations in something that could approach a shared understanding. But in audio, it's... rough.

IMO the best way to discuss how gear sounds would be to use actual music as the reference points and correlate what you hear with the data. But this would require audiophiles to listen to something other than Jazz At The Pawnshop and Come Away With Me

redeyes posted:

Well my long journey has ended. IEMs do not sound better anymore, just different. In the end, I just make myself my own tuned stuff using a 14.8mm planar driver (out of the Letshuoer S12). I did buy a nice DAC and Amplifier and still have a few including a tube amp for different shades of tonality, but the hobby is loving insane with 2000-6000 dollar iems. Hyper consumerism is not something I feel good being part of, so I am going to stop making videos and reviews. Maybe an odd one here or there, but I can't be part of this poo poo anymore.

It's been fun though, very fun.

This feels like a Head-Fi phenomenon, because the only YTer I'm aware of that goes into the kilobuck FOTM IEMs is HBB

The new version of mid-fi hell is continuing to buy the under-$50 IEM FOTM and oops! you've spent as much money as a 7Hz Timeless, or a Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk without having anything as good as those IEMs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Godzilla07 posted:

The new version of mid-fi hell is continuing to buy the under-$50 IEM FOTM and oops! you've spent as much money as a 7Hz Timeless, or a Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk without having anything as good as those IEMs

It was a pin on Crinacle's discord for a long time about buying so many budget IEMs then realising you could've just saved and bought Dusk.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

I know I'm super late but he's been on about this theory for a while now. I think it's what happens when you lock yourself in a room for many years with only a computer and a high end stereo system and a high level understanding of math. It's a shame too, because his plugins for the most part are just as good as you'd get from some big name developer and they're a fraction of the cost.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

qirex posted:

They taste better, certainly.

Try some cuttlefish ink risotto maybe?:cthulhu:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The inverse of audiophile, pure user-centric design: https://www.musicradar.com/news/axxent-ms-100-cigarette-lighter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is from 2016 but I just found it today.

it's the world's tiniest magic acoustic rock, you put it on your cartridge, it's so cute :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Pretty sure I attended a demo for that rock.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how was the soundstage

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is from 2016 but I just found it today.

it's the world's tiniest magic acoustic rock, you put it on your cartridge, it's so cute :3:

https://www.dacapoaudio.com/4652-weights-for-technics-dj-headshell.html

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
also what the gently caress is that cartridge. it looks like a lovely hot rod paint job

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

strtj posted:

also what the gently caress is that cartridge. it looks like a lovely hot rod paint job

it's a Lyra cartridge which cost like $10,000

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think every cart past like the $1k point looks like rear end, even the wood Grado ones

e) ok exception, the DS Audio carts with the Cylon light look sick

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 17, 2023

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think every cart past like the $1k point looks like rear end, even the wood Grado ones

I never understood the wood phono cartridge thing. Wood resonates, so you're going to have weird peaks all over the place???

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I posted this in the stupid music poo poo thread. Consensus was that it is indeed stupid, but also any serious touring band should have one. For audiophile points, the cigarette lighter is apparently a pretty noisy piece of wiring, so it works as an inverse signal cleaner.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Are we making fun of this because dialling in the right tracking force for a cartridge is pretty important and this is cheap as hell.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how was the soundstage

Open and airy. Just like the presenter said it would be during the 5 minute spiel he delivered between playing the track without the rock and playing it with it.

It may not have been that exact rock, but it was the same general idea, and was the worst example of priming the audience’s response that I’ve ever experienced.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DoesNotCompute posted:

Are we making fun of this because dialling in the right tracking force for a cartridge is pretty important and this is cheap as hell.

I hope not, cuz those things are actively useful.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
I was trying to say that there's no need to pay mega $$$ for a tiny piece of metal to sit on your cartridge and soak up the vibrations or whatever, there are already pieces of metal to add to your cartridge that actually do useful things and are not absurdly priced.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

strtj posted:

I was trying to say that there's no need to pay mega $$$ for a tiny piece of metal to sit on your cartridge and soak up the vibrations or whatever, there are already pieces of metal to add to your cartridge that actually do useful things and are not absurdly priced.

Ah yeah, that's fair. The upside is you get a set of 2g and 4g calibrated weights with screw threads, so you don't have to worry about them tipping off your headshells when you're moving the tone arm around, but I get you now.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I hope not, cuz those things are actively useful.

It's hard sometimes in this thread.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

When I DJd, I always had a few coins and some blu tac/chewing gum for my 'Stanton' s little helpers '
1p 5p, and even a half pence piece. Lol I'm loving old as poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Many audiophile products are things that are useful, just overdesigned and overpriced. I bet a $300,000, 250 pound D'agostino monoblock actually sounds pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those hilariously expensive Boulder monoblocks probably do put out the claimed poo poo tons of power, it's just a shame they'll never be used at even 10% of their capabilities.