Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Yeah I can see why Nassim is making GBS threads on Lex Fridman here. Despite the type of guests he gets to interview, his questions are always absurdly surface level and seems to unironically believe you can solve all problems in the world with rational discussion.

While its good someone wants to read more, blasting through these in a week with his mentality is going to mean he's not going to gain much from the experience and likely going to misinterpret a good chunk of them (because he's shown to be unable to read things like subtext and deception).

PITY BONER posted:

I don't know too much about Fridman other than he tends to play the role of "friendly, polite "simple" guy that specifically platforms nazis and rightwing lunatics, with a few pop-science and pop-culture people here and there, but

He is basically Joe Rogan if Joe Rogan wanted to be seen as an enlightened centralist in academia.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

toiletbrush posted:

for some reason it really bothers me that he's chosen to list Camus and Dostoevsky just by their second names

Don't look at who he's said is the author of Player of Games.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

im skeptical that hea gonna read the Brothers Karamazov over seven days.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

January 8th: "Okay guys I've gotten to the bit where he's found Emmanuel Goldstein's book, excited to see what's revealed."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did i miss it or is there a grand total of one lady author on that entire list and it’s mary shelley

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Did i miss it or is there a grand total of one lady author on that entire list and it’s mary shelley

I think you mean Mrs. Percy Bysshe Shelley - as she was credited as in one of the earlier Frankenstein movies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

rotinaj posted:

The only other woman to write a book in history was that Twilight woman and you will not convince him otherwise.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

punishedkissinger posted:

he can squeeze in some extra reqding after he finishes the little prince

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

jordie

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

https://i.imgur.com/JzYgsaJ.mp4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

He brushes him off like a child.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know who any of these people are, but A+ for him verbally batting away Jorp like the fly he is.

Edit: my one desire to be famous whatsoever is for the opportunity to publicly tell Jorp to gently caress off and have followers see it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 3, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There are criticisms you can level against Taleb but he's an actual public intellectual and it's funny watching him just dismiss Peterson like that.

rotinaj posted:

Nah you're right. Whole lot of dead white guys on there.

The individual books are fine (except for Sapiens) but the list as a whole is a really biased selection and also kinda basic.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are criticisms you can level against Taleb but he's an actual public intellectual and it's funny watching him just dismiss Peterson like that.

Nah you're right. Whole lot of dead white guys on there.

The individual books are fine (except for Sapiens) but the list as a whole is a really biased selection and also kinda basic.

Most of it is middle class suburban American lit classes from like 7th grade through sophomore year, with a couple exceptions that are in the "right wing people grossly misinterpreted this" area.
I'm a little surprised Starship Troopers isn't on there.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

Lol.

That lol aside, I really liked all the Culture books, but that had to be the worst.

"It's about playing a game like chess/warhammer.

No, no, it's not boring, It's set in some space castle."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i always get the player of games confused with walking on glass as one of its storylines is people playing games in a space castle.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Latest episode of Behind the Bastards is Robert and Cody talking some more about episode of Jordan Peterson's show.

Halfway through and it's refreshing to hear them rip on him again.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1610279168088104960

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Player of Games from what I understand seems like a borderline satire of stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh! where you got an entire culture where everything seems to be settled via children's card games or whatever and thus a dedicated enough turbonerd can conquer it, so the post-scarcity space empire run by benevolent superintelligent AIs just sends the biggest nerd they happen to have sitting around.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

needs the hamster dance song playing in the background with that tie

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lol

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1610307938438053888

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Player of Games from what I understand seems like a borderline satire of stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh! where you got an entire culture where everything seems to be settled via children's card games or whatever and thus a dedicated enough turbonerd can conquer it, so the post-scarcity space empire run by benevolent superintelligent AIs just sends the biggest nerd they happen to have sitting around.

Well yes, but it's also taking the piss out of "meritocracies" by showing how rigged the supposedly fair system is at all stages without actually breaking any rules.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Holy poo poo, can he actually lose his title for being such a dickhead?
:magical: dare I hope?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

just try to imagine being so terrible at posting that your peers get together to formally insist that you take lessons in Posting Less Shittily

Obviously that's a difficult thing for most of us here to visualize, but Doc Lobster just keeps on educating us all

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm familiar with online communities forcing the issue on some garbage person but I never seen this treatment from an academic institution for anything less than an actual crime.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

By popular demand posted:

I'm familiar with online communities forcing the issue on some garbage person but I never seen this treatment from an academic institution for anything less than an actual crime.

Crimes against postmanity.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

The little teachers mag that goes out here has a section about everyone who was naughty, but not technically doing a crime, and how they were disciplined. It's fun reading, the teachers all get a kick out of it.

Also includes the ones who actually did a crime and were not just being basic level lovely stupid. How hard is it to not touch the children? That's like teacher 101.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I didn't think I'd see a suit sadder than the suit Kevin Sorbo wore to CPAC that had all of his tweets on the lining, but there it is.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

"We find you guilty of tormenting rats with sticks and having a hosed-up dick and broadcasting those facts incessantly on twitter. Plus the transphobia, but that was obvious."
edit: no wonder he's so depressed recently: https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1610134920437063680?s=20

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Drakyn posted:

"We find you guilty of tormenting rats with sticks and having a hosed-up dick and broadcasting those facts incessantly on twitter. Plus the transphobia, but that was obvious."

Uhhhhhh what?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just playing the odds, I think.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

You haven't paid attention to the lore, the truth is out there.
https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1596340830570049536?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Deki posted:

Well yes, but it's also taking the piss out of "meritocracies" by showing how rigged the supposedly fair system is at all stages without actually breaking any rules.

Well of course. Problem is you point at real-world examples and a lot of the people who laugh at that just don't see it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Drakyn posted:

You haven't paid attention to the lore, the truth is out there.
https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1596340830570049536?s=20

Thank you for this.

Given that the grandma's pubes thing is something he ACTUALLY said, I can now never tell if a Jorp 'fact' is real or part of the extremely entertaining tall Bart narrative.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

I rather liked that culture novel, it introduced me to the idea of meta gaming.

after the holidays I spoke with an old highschool friend who I guess had a rough time with family this year.

I basically teased him with some alt right talking points, and he went "dude have you been listening to jordan peterson?" which is the first time years I ve had the man name mentioned IRL.

I reminded him my office is a mess but I do wash my penis.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Birds of a feather are flocking together

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1610657946006085634?s=20&t=MSKLQJLPW68mkocCstNObQ

Why am i not surprised this scumfuck likes jorp

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I've started thinking of Jordan Peterson as a dorkier Dennis Reynolds and it makes everything he does funnier.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ups_rail posted:

I rather liked that culture novel, it introduced me to the idea of meta gaming.

after the holidays I spoke with an old highschool friend who I guess had a rough time with family this year.

I basically teased him with some alt right talking points, and he went "dude have you been listening to jordan peterson?" which is the first time years I ve had the man name mentioned IRL.

I reminded him my office is a mess but I do wash my penis.

Interesting

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1610307938438053888?s=20

Painful to read this guy's pretentious prattle, he's not even good at sounding smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pontificating rear end posted:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1610307938438053888?s=20

Painful to read this guy's pretentious prattle, he's not even good at sounding smart.

He’s a dumb persons idea of sounding smart.