Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

CNN just called the vote a "fecal festival" and I was like :hmmyes:

Debate & Discussion > USCE Winter 2023: A Fecal Festival!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If this goes on for a while (think weeks to months) it becomes possible that a group of “moderate” GOP break off and negotiate with the Democrats in exchange for getting a “moderate” GOP in the seat, with some concessions such as backing continuing budget resolutions and debt ceiling increases. There’d be no formal enforcement mechanism of course but this type of deal is dangerous for the GOP because it increases the likelihood of the breakaway group continuing to negotiate with the Democrats. A group of democrats did this in the NY state senate for a while and the Alaska state senate has a similar arrangement.

The issue is this group will torpedo their careers, because they'll be primaried. You only need a few but anyone willing already took their shot during the impeachment.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If this goes on for a while (think weeks to months) it becomes possible that a group of “moderate” GOP break off and negotiate with the Democrats in exchange for getting a “moderate” GOP in the seat, with some concessions such as backing continuing budget resolutions and debt ceiling increases. There’d be no formal enforcement mechanism of course but this type of deal is dangerous for the GOP because it increases the likelihood of the breakaway group continuing to negotiate with the Democrats. A group of democrats did this in the NY state senate for a while and the Alaska state senate has a similar arrangement.

Its gonna be weeks at minimum before anything like that becomes viable. So far, Republicans have only really pushed a single candidate (Jordan doesn't count, there isn't a whip operation for him) and there are dozens more people in leadership who will put their name in the ring to try to get over the line once Kevin gives up. Any republican who joins a coalition government with a minority Dem party will be eating a massive primary challenge in a few years

Also, we have atleast 1 more defection to Jordan this round

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 3, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Morrow posted:

The issue is this group will torpedo their careers, because they'll be primaried. You only need a few but anyone willing already took their shot during the impeachment.

A lot of these people are elected in vulnerable seats. I mean they could be primaried too but there's also the question of them losing their next election because of ads saying they voted Lauren Bobert to be in charge of the Q Committee or some poo poo

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Although it's fun to imagine, that option will absolutely not happen

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The nightmare scenario at this point is just a slow trickle of defections to Jim Jordan with each successive round of voting, right?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Morrow posted:

A few that were going to retire anyway and a few in vulnerable seats who look at McCain and Sinema and Manchin and go “me too!”

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Although it's fun to imagine, that option will absolutely not happen

As I said it’s not happening this week, but if this drags on for weeks / months then people will start wondering what could fix it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Glumslinger posted:

Its gonna be weeks at minimum before anything like that becomes viable. So far, Republicans have only really pushed a single candidate (Jordan doesn't count, there isn't a whip operation for him) and there are dozens more people in leadership who will put their name in the ring to try to get over the line. Any republican who joins a coalition government with a minority Dem party will be eating a massive primary challenge in a few years

Impeachment Republicans had a 20% survival rate, I'd expect similar for any attempted "problem solvers" that cross the aisle.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mmkay posted:

Non-us here, a few questions: why does the freedom caucus hate Mccarthy? What is the rules package that's also voted on? Is that separate from the leader vote, and if it is what would happen if that failed too?

Two reasons:

First, he started out his political career as a moderate Republican, and paved his path to power by building close ties to other established leadership figures like Bill Thomas and John Boehner. And the Freedom Caucus hated Boehner, so much that they thwarted McCarthy's 2015 bid for Speaker largely because he was Boehner's handpicked successor. By the mid-2010s, he'd noticed which way the winds were blowing and moved well to the right, but the Freedom Caucus don't think he's a diehard true believer who'll stick with them no matter what. He's so openly ambitious that he's not especially trustworthy, as the general perception in DC is that he'll do drat near anything for power. Now that Trump's looking shaky, the Freedom Caucus are extremely worried that McCarthy will betray them or thwart their most ridiculous plans.

Second, the Freedom Caucus want to assert their dominance by demonstrating that they're too important for the moderates to ignore. They'd likely be doing this to some extent no matter who the leading candidate was; the point is to show that despite being a small faction, they have the numbers and discipline to force major concessions from the rest of the party (especially with the GOP's extremely slim majority).

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dems still not budging
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1610393168033480704
meanwhile
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1610395873200033795

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Its gonna be weeks at minimum before anything like that becomes viable. So far, Republicans have only really pushed a single candidate (Jordan doesn't count, there isn't a whip operation for him) and there are dozens more people in leadership who will put their name in the ring to try to get over the line once Kevin gives up. Any republican who joins a coalition government with a minority Dem party will be eating a massive primary challenge in a few years

Unless this opposition is FAR more personal than I understand, I doubt there's anyone in R leadership who will get a better vote count than McCarthy.

My personal take is that the HFC has learned the obstructionism lesson too well, and now the manticores have come home to roost. I don't know if they ever break, or if the last 15 or so years have taught them that total obstinacy is always rewarded. Time will tell, but I don't see a different leadership person or a political concession altering the HFC vote.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How is McCarthy looking at this point anyways? Is he getting more and more depressed, or more pissed?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Randalor posted:

How is McCarthy looking at this point anyways? Is he getting more and more depressed, or more pissed?

flop sweat

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Randalor posted:

He looked absolutely obliterated when he lost the FIRST vote like 5 hours ago :newlol:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Who switched their vote? I was in a meeting that took way longer than it should have

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Who switched their vote? I was in a meeting that took way longer than it should have

This guy

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wouldn't Dems plus FC easily have the majority to adjourn? Is there any reason for the Democrats to not support a motion to adjourn?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Byron Donalds (R-Fla), saying that he doesn't think McCarthy has the votes

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

He looked absolutely obliterated when he lost the FIRST vote like 5 hours ago :newlol:

Oh, I know he was devastated after the first vote, but if he was looking more angry, maybe we could have gotten a good fistfight or explosive outburst out of him. Flop sweat... I dunno, maybe we can hope for a heart attack from the stress?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Byron Donalds (R-Fla), saying that he doesn't think McCarthy has the votes

Thanks!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sorry if this has been answered (I didn't see it in the last couple pages at least) but there is no way we end up with a Democratic speaker, right? I'm guessing there's no rule that says "after 5 rounds the highest number of votes wins", so it would actually take 6 Rs crossing the aisle and voting for Jeffries? And that's basically impossible?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Sorry if this has been answered (I didn't see it in the last couple pages at least) but there is no way we end up with a Democratic speaker, right? I'm guessing there's no rule that says "after 5 rounds the highest number of votes wins", so it would actually take 6 Rs crossing the aisle and voting for Jeffries? And that's basically impossible?

zero chance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Phenotype posted:

there is slightly less than no chance this happens and even if it did it would be stupid because Jeffries does not command a majority of the house

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Phenotype posted:

Only if the extremely funny and unlikely scenario that a bunch of Republicans just decide to leave rather than have to stay and keep voting forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phenotype posted:

Right. There is no way it would ever happen, and if it did happen it could be immediately reversed when the GOP settles their differences a few minutes later

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kevin McCarthy running an exhaust deck with vote after vote

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Phenotype posted:

It would take 6 Rs who've discovered late in life they want to join the party of Joe Biden, these rebels will be welcomed back with open arms at the next GOP fundraiser but there's no walking back a vote for the Democrats.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Wouldn't Dems plus FC easily have the majority to adjourn? Is there any reason for the Democrats to not support a motion to adjourn?

Why interrupt your opponent in the middle of making a mistake? Moving the conflict off the floor and into back rooms only helps Republicans right now. It's not like adjourning stops the clock, so to speak.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Centurium posted:

Why interrupt your opponent in the middle of making a mistake? Moving the conflict off the floor and into back rooms only helps Republicans right now. It's not like adjourning stops the clock, so to speak.

Oh I think an adjournment at this point would be seen as a(nother) massive defeat for McCarthy, Democrats could probably vote for that.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Phenotype posted:

Nope, the only real “win” here for the Democrats is to get the GOP members all pissed at each other and *maybe* get someone who’s from the GOP but more moderate than the current options across the line with Democratic votes.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/RepDonaldsPress/status/1610394080118247429

Ha, ha YES!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Do they have the votes to adjourn lol

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

cr0y posted:

No the US collapses here as an entity as this vote gets stuck for eternity, unable to win, unable to die.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

cr0y posted:

212 Dems plus 6 Rs could do it if they wanted to

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cr0y posted:

that would be down to what the democrats want to do, McCarthy's party isn't going to adjourn because their entire strategy is to try to force him through on the basis that there isn't another viable candidate

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jaxyon posted:

Jim's too big an rear end in a top hat to get enough votes.

Scalise is the choice for "if you criticize him you're denigrating a brave assassination victim who took a bullet for the cause" aesthetics

He needs to taint up if he wants it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

America really loves voting for this shitshow of a political party and MAGA is just kind of okay with it's sheer level of dysfunction I guess. I wonder if they actually do eventually split off like the whole New Blue Party and PPC from the Conservative Party of Canada.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This has got to be a blow to K-Mac's ego and confidence. You hate to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
today has bascially been

including the part the gif loops over and over