Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Legion 5 Pro will hang pre-Lenovo logo during bios boot if my Swiftpoint Z mouse is plugged in. It will then immediately continue if I unplug that mouse. I've tried various connectiions, usb C hub, usb A hub, direct A port, but they all show the same symptoms. An old Logitech has no such problem.

The Z works fine if plugged in at any point after the logo shows.

Anyone else seen this or similar? Google doesn't show anything, but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone's seen a similar problem.

The Z is a favorite so I'd rather not give it up if I can help it. It also advertises itself as a Joystick/Throttle controller, which is probably what's confusing the Lenovo initialization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't know anything about that mouse, but I've heard of Razor mice keeping computers from booting. Just a hunch, but is there some sort of "USB-Boot" option in the bios you can disable? Or see if there's a boot order and make sure USB device isn't listed ahead of the main drive.

I'm really just spitballing here.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That's a good idea, will try it out since I left USB boot enabled for later Linux co-install.

I've tried a bunch of other stuff to no avail: disabling the joystick in the mouse's firmware, disabling fast boot. No dice.

If I enter the bios without the mouse and then plugin the mouse, the machine will stop responding to any inputs until that mouse is disconnected: keyboards, trackpad, anything. Everything will work again as soon as I disconnect the mouse. Weird antipathy!

E: Didn't work, but that was some nice lateral thinking!

I think I'm going to resign myself to unplugging the mouse every time I boot it. Using an external hub will protect the laptop from the constant plugging in and out.

Like this mouse too much to switch back to others. It's just the most comfortable for my hands, even ignoring the programmability and extra buttons.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 31, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Been going back and forth on whether to upgrade the 16GB RAM in this to 32GB and if so, when? On one hand 16GB should be just fine by itself, but on the other this is a well specced out machine and should last a good long while so going to 32GB eventually makes sense.

All the articles I could find predict DDR5 surpluses that will drop prices by mid-23 so I think I'm going to wait until 32GB drops to around $100. Or maybe just not bother at all since current consoles should determine game memory limits for a long while yet.

This G.Skill kit was pretty tempting though for the CL34 timing when everything else seems to be CL40. I know DDR5 isn't very sensitive to initial latency, unlike DDR4, but still that's already a nice price.

The Legions can take 64GB at the least, possibly more once larger kits become available.

It seems Lenovo use at least 3 different network cards with their various Legions. The Slim 7 had the Realtek chip that people complain about and which doesn't have a mainline kernel Linux driver. This 5 Pro came with the AMD/Mediatek RZ616 that seems not to have many informed complaints - there are some for a different chip that confuses folks - and it has mainline Linux kernel support. It's worked just fine for me so far - Steam downloads were hitting 75MB/s (600Mbps) over Wifi 6 with no interruptions or drops. The card supports Wifi 6E and BT 5.3.

I'm not going to replace mine with the Intel AX210NWG that's known to be another good option. The AX210s run around $22 right now on Amazon, in case anyone wants to replace theirs.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Did some testing with the iGPU in the Legion 5 Pro with Pathfinder Kingmaker as that's that game I'm playing.

The easiest way to force using only the iGPU is to go into the Device Manager (Windows key + X, then M) and disable the discrete GPU there.

On paper, the 680M in the 6800H is roughly 2x as fast as the Deck's GPU (12 cores @ 2200 MHz vs 8 @ 1600 MHz). That roughly lined up with the frames I was seeing when I dropped the resolution to be the same as the Deck's.

Kingmaker's a pretty light game. But it was using just over 50W running on the iGPU with the dGPU disabled, whereas I was seeing 9-11W on the Deck. Chrome with half a dozen lightweight tabs, performance monitor and Vantage were the only other windowed programs running so most of that was game CPU/iGPU cost. Even with the beefy 80Wh battery, that's an hour and a half. I turned the game's settings down to what I'd use on the Deck and didn't see much of a difference. Wonder if running under Proton with Linux would show more savings in power. It's not clear just how much power is being used by all the other stuff running on the laptop.

This was mostly for curiosity, I plan to play with the dGPU all the time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

v1ld posted:

Did some testing with the iGPU in the Legion 5 Pro with Pathfinder Kingmaker as that's that game I'm playing.

The easiest way to force using only the iGPU is to go into the Device Manager (Windows key + X, then M) and disable the discrete GPU there.

On paper, the 680M in the 6800H is roughly 2x as fast as the Deck's GPU (12 cores @ 2200 MHz vs 8 @ 1600 MHz). That roughly lined up with the frames I was seeing when I dropped the resolution to be the same as the Deck's.

Kingmaker's a pretty light game. But it was using just over 50W running on the iGPU with the dGPU disabled, whereas I was seeing 9-11W on the Deck. Chrome with half a dozen lightweight tabs, performance monitor and Vantage were the only other windowed programs running so most of that was game CPU/iGPU cost. Even with the beefy 80Wh battery, that's an hour and a half. I turned the game's settings down to what I'd use on the Deck and didn't see much of a difference. Wonder if running under Proton with Linux would show more savings in power. It's not clear just how much power is being used by all the other stuff running on the laptop.

This was mostly for curiosity, I plan to play with the dGPU all the time.

I'm not sure if there's a difference in the iGPU between the 6800H and 6800U, but you can check this video where the guy compares it to the Steam Deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0lTxeYLS8M

Other than not scaling down to lower power as well as the Deck APU, maybe check if there's also a frame limiter. Even on my Atom based Celeron I found that I could run Disco Elysium at 30fps at like 4W package power, otherwise it'll pull as much power as it can.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Have you had a chance to test out battery life yet? I'm waffling between the 5 pro and the 7 slim

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm using the limiter in the NVidia control panel right now, but didn't test with it enabled so it was running at 85fps which is much more than the 30Hz limit I had on the Deck - so yeah, good point.

Need to install Afterburner soon, undervolting should yield some benefits as well.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Have you had a chance to test out battery life yet? I'm waffling between the 5 pro and the 7 slim

Vantage shows the current and nominal battery capacity. For the Slim it showed current at 73Wh and the rated value is 71Wh. Came with a cycle count of 6. That was open box, so it was nice to see it still had higher capacity than rated.

The 5 Pro has a rated value of 80Wh, my unit has 85Wh capacity right now per Vantage. Cycle count of 1, as you'd expect for a new machine.

Vantage has a Conservation Mode battery setting where it limits charging to "75-80%" and disables Rapid Charging to keep battery temp low and increase longevity - I really like that they cover all bases here with the slower charging rate, not just a cap. I assume 75-80% means it won't charge up to 80% if it's already over 75%.

So, not much difference between the two in terms of battery capacity. Here's what I'm seeing as other differences:
- Biggest is the screen, by a considerable amount: The 2560x1600 screen on the 5 Pro can do 500 nits, whereas all the non-Pro models have 300 nits screens afaik. The 16:10 ratio is unique to the Pros too. The Slim 7 has a perfectly nice 16:9 1080p screen which will draw less battery too, of course.
- The other big difference is the GPU TGP. The 3060 in the open box Slim 7 was limited to 95W. The 3070Ti in the 5 Pro is limited to 150W. That's an actual measurable difference, though not quite linear.
- The Slim 7 is much lighter and the slim profile is definitely nicer if you're going to be very mobile with it.
- E: I don't know if the Slim 7 had a 3070 Ti variant, but if you're buying it for the long term, 4-5 years, the 3070 Ti has better staying power. It has 33% more of everything, other than power draw. Most importantly is probably it's 8GB VRAM instead of the 3060's 6GB. The ebay 5 Pro deal at the link I posted above is very good I think ($1400 for the pro with 3070 Ti, 16GB ram, 1 TB nvme).

I still have the open box 2021 Slim 7 (5800H, 3060, and I believe 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD), haven't returned it yet. It was a little over $800 after taxes, a bit more. Can ship it to you for cost if you're in the US - I'm in the South Eest. Bought the older, heavier adapter for it as the slim version it comes with was missing. BB may still be selling them open box, too.

E: This is 5 vs 5 Pro, but applies pretty well as a Slim 7 vs 5 Pro comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxGt_gZJybQ

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 31, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
50watts is a lot for a game like that. Your never going to get to steam deck neighborhood in power but a light game with a reasonable fps cap should be in the 15-20w range on the agpu.

Check your power settings, you might be fully pushing your CPU for no reason.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Struggling to navigate the various options from Lenovo. My X270 (which I posted about last month) has given up the ghost.

Primary purpose I need it for is work. I've had a look and the current model of the X series are all 13" display. Having been working on this X270 with its 12.3" for quite a few years now, I'd really like an upgrade to a significantly bigger screen size, as I do a lot of work with multiple docs open including presentations where I need to have multiple docs open to refer to them.

However I also do a bit of gaming and game modding (Blender, GIMP, oh and some video editing with Adobe Premier) whilst on-the-move. Nothing too strenuous, as the game I make stuff for is pretty old though we are remastering it (Neverwinter Nights, for those curious..) The X270's integrated Intel HD520 has actually done really well for what I needed. But it would nice to have something with a little more oomph.

The only other things I really need are:
1. great battery life (though obviously not expecting anything to give great battery while gaming); and
2. extremely solid build quality/toughness. The X270 survived a lot of mistreatment and I travel a lot for work and have to be running around all sorts of places carrying my laptop in one hand a bunch of files in the other so... build quality is important, lol.

At the moment I'm just a little overwhelmed by the options.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What's your budget and are you fixed on Lenovo? What about the thinkpad line? What's a bigger screen to you? 14? 15? 16+?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Budget: up to £1400 ish but any savings are good tbh
Bigger screen yep I think 14" or bigger would do?

Let me have a look at ThinkPads...

I'm not at all fixed on Lenovo. I'm guessing the common alternative is Asus??

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 3, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
14" is IMO a good compromise for reasonable portability but actually large enough to work on. I'd check out the X1 or the T14 or whatever the slightly fatter versions are called nowadays.

The rest of the X line seems to be pretty dead sadly, what's even the point of the X13 at 13.3" when the rest of the lineup is 14"?

Yeah the last gen or two have been 16:10 thankfully, it's incredible how much of a difference it makes
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 3, 2023

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hmm looks like some of the X1's might have a 16:10 display which would be pretty sweet..

edit: I have realised the main problem I'm experiencing in this process of choosing a new laptop is that Lenovo's website is a piece of poo poo. A hundred different laptop listings under each model category, with no real explanation of what they all are, and no indication of which particular option will allow you to access upgrades to things like GPU when you are finally able to get to the 'build your own pc' bit.

e2:
Comparing the T14 versus the X1 carbon gen 9's presents a difficult choice. The latter come with a ~£350 premium which I guess is for build quality. But it means your X1 carbon is £1400 base price. To add a touchscreen to that would be +£230 (touchscreens are pretty drat useful for doing presentations).

What you end up with is: gen 3 T14 at £1,145.70 (no touchscreen, AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 6650U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, integrated radeon graphics)
versus: gen 9 X1 carbon at £1,440.00 (no touchscreen, 11th gen Intel Core i5-1135G7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, integrated intel Iris Xe G7 96EUs graphics)

My only worry on the T14 however is battery life. Looking online people seem to report that it's pretty bad even with the full sized battery, like 4 - 6 hours of regular use. That would be painful.

e3: in case this info is helpful to anyone in future...

Battery life:
Having done more digging, it looks like posts about poor battery life on the T14 are mostly related either to the Intel model, or the small battery model, or to people using Linux having issues with power management in that OS. From what I can gleen I should be able to get a decent 8 hours of regular use out of the thing so long as brightness isn't at full and I'm sensible with balanced power saving mode etc.

Other significant factors I've come across:
- there is a 'slim' version of the T14 line, called T14s.
Actually the only size difference so far as I can tell, is in the taper of the thickness of the body of the T14s; the thickness seems to taper down from back to front of the body like in many modern laptops, whereas the T14 seems to have fairly consistent thickness. They seem to be the same size (including max thickness point) otherwise. There is around a 200 gram difference, which is somewhat significant in my view.
The other key difference (besides screen, which I discuss below) is battery size; the T14s has a larger battery, 57Wh vs. the T14's (max) 52Wh. I think that this would likely give a decent big of extra battery life, but see above about battery life of the T14 (AMD) generally.
Price-wise, the T14s is about £200 more than the T14 for similar spec. But see below re: having to upgrade the screen yourself potentially.

- screen is important. The T14 and T14s by default come with a 300 NITS screen with only 45% NTSC. I don't know a whole lot about this except that the colours are significantly below standard, from what I've read. In theory, both have an option to upgrade to a 400NITS 72% NTSC screen which is said to be a significant improvement, but in practice it seems Lenovo rarely has T14s's with 400NITS screen in stock. However you might be able to buy the screen separately and upgrade it yourself, if you so chose.. I have not found any word on whether the T14s has the standard Lenovo screen fitting that can easily be opened up and the screen swapped out. I also don't know how much a 400NITS 72% NTSC panel costs to buy.
It also seems that the 400NITS 72% NTSC screen is 'low power' and this may have some effect on battery life though I've no idea how much if any.

- the AMD Ryzen's are apparently preferable in terms of power usage to the Intel Alder Lake CPUs but there are some performance trade-offs on single core tasks. This applies to the T14 (which has both variants). The Intel variant of the T14 seems to have significantly worse battery life. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T14-G3-review-Business-laptop-is-better-with-AMD-Ryzen-Pro.657465.0.html
Downsides include that the AMD variant board has no expansion RAM slot.

- the AMD Ryzen's integrated graphics chip (at least the 680M which is what comes with the higher power 6850U CPU model) seems to be significantly higher performing than the equivalent Intel integrated chip (Iris 96e), apparently to the tune of 30-40% FPS gains in real world tests

- I still hate Lenovo's website it should be burnt to the ground

- I'm going with the T14 given the significant price difference to the X1 carbon, which allows me to trick the T14 out with 400NITS screen and HD webcam at around 3/4ths of the cost of an equivalent X1 carbon.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 3, 2023

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sorry for the doublepost but just to note that Lenovo appears to be offering deals much better than are advertised on their website right now. If you're browsing you'll see a Chat prompt in the bottom-right of your browser, it is 100% worth talking to one of their reps to ask what deal they can offer you.

I just got a 20% discount on a T14 gen 3, when the highest discount shown on their site was 10%.

They will get you to make an account on their site and spec out your build, put it in you basket, then they will send you a quote.

Final spec I went for on the T14 gen 3:

Ryzen™ 7 PRO 6850U Processor (2.70 GHz up to 4.70 GHz)
16 GB LPDDR5-6400MHz (Soldered)
512 GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe TLC Opal
14" WUXGA (1920 x 1200), IPS, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 100%sRGB, 400 nits, 60Hz, Low Power
Graphic Card:Integrated Graphics (Radeon 680M)
FHD IR/RGB Hybrid Camera with Microphone
Fingerprint Reader
4 Cell Li-Polymer 52.5Wh battery

for £1,124.81

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You'll love it, I was going to direct you to look at the T14s.

The 680M isn't a gaming card, but it packs a good punch for an integrated GPU. Better than the HD520 by about 500%+.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I was going to go for the T14s but the better screen option (400 nites/72% NTSC or whatever) just wasn't there and there was a fair bit of price difference.

Honestly I've been amazed by what the HD 520 can do lol. Albeit I think the amount I have pushed it might well have contributed to this X270 becoming a bit fried (unstable).

Now the only question is how long Lenovo will take to ship. I hear it can take a while.

Thanks for the pointers, thread

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Oh I meant T14(plural), the whole line is pretty good. I doubt running the HD520 hard contributed to the instability, it's a low power part and shouldn't break down under use. Looks like you got the X270 about 5 years ago? I feel like if your not exactly babying a laptop and bringing it around that is a reasonable half-life even for higher quality models. I sorta assume 4 years for mine but I do not baby anything I own.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A whole slew of new gaming laptops announced at CES. Asus in particular has revamped several models. ROG Strix [Scar] coming with new 16 and 18(!) inch 16:10 displays. The Scar has an optional mini-LED display. 13th gen Intel and RTX 4000 series, as well as a few Zen 4 Ryzen 7000 series machines. New cooling setup with 3 fans in some systems to cool 175 watt 16GB RTX 4090. It looks like they've even added a camera which is only notable because the last few years of ROG Strix machines famously omitted the webcam, lol. The Zephyrus G14 is also getting an available mini-LED display as well as Zen 4 cpu's and up to an RTX 4090 as well which is probably going to be insane in terms of performance and price. Going to be an exciting (and expensive) year for gaming laptops.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 4, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just FYI in that T14 versus X1 carbon the point of the X1 is portability. It’s smaller in every dimension and weighs a bit less. You pay a premium for that footprint, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, lots of very performant but also likely very expensive laptops announced.

It will be interesting to see how they stack up. There's not much need to go beyond 1440p in a form factor like that and it seems like they are trying for crazy competitive gaming framerates. The RTX3070 in my G15 is already plenty to run most stuff in 1440p in high or above settings above 100fps. RTX4090 (even TDP constrained as laptops dictate) seems crazy overkill to me.

Overkill I would absolutely buy into mind you, but overkill nonetheless. I would honestly rather see them figure out a way to give 3060 levels of performance on battery with >3 hours of life.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The G14 was already good and gets better. Even Razer is adopting 16:10 finally.

I don’t think mini LED is enough to get me to upgrade from the 2022 G14. The screen already looks practically perfect to me with no real light bleed issues.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

l little more rtx 4000m news:

quote:

But the most concrete chart compared an unnamed Lovelace GPU to the RTX 3050 and RTX 3070, showing that the Lovelace GPU (almost certainly the RTX 4050) could perform at the same level as the RTX 3070 while consuming just 40 W instead of 120 W.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/nvidia-unveils-a-broad-range-of-efficient-new-laptop-gpus-from-rtx-4050-to-4090/

If that pans out it could be extremely nice. Reminds me of when Maxwell found its way into laptops and brought big performance/efficiency gains.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
How does this thread still have a haswell pun as a title? It’s going to be 10 years!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

*bangs desk* ten more years!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just change "doesn't have" to "has"

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

A whole slew of new gaming laptops announced at CES. Asus in particular has revamped several models. ROG Strix [Scar] coming with new 16 and 18(!) inch 16:10 displays. The Scar has an optional mini-LED display. 13th gen Intel and RTX 4000 series, as well as a few Zen 4 Ryzen 7000 series machines. New cooling setup with 3 fans in some systems to cool 175 watt 16GB RTX 4090. It looks like they've even added a camera which is only notable because the last few years of ROG Strix machines famously omitted the webcam, lol. The Zephyrus G14 is also getting an available mini-LED display as well as Zen 4 cpu's and up to an RTX 4090 as well which is probably going to be insane in terms of performance and price. Going to be an exciting (and expensive) year for gaming laptops.

Hopefully a less expensive year for 2nd-tier laptops, then.

Which, honestly, is a policy that has served me well. I bought a GT72 2QE 7 years ago for Black Friday and it is still my gaming workhorse.

I'd like to update it, though, especially when it comes to storage. The GT72, as a 17" laptop, fits in the 'blinged out Cathedral' category in both mass and stylings, but that's fine.

So where can I find something like that? Good, but not top-of-the-line, with >=1TB SSD and >=4TB HD?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That much storage is a tough request, it's not usually what people are looking for in a laptop. However, it is trivial to swap out or add storage. Finding 1 TB primary drive is M.2 form factor is easy, then you can add another M.2 or find something with a 2.5" drive to accommodate a 4TB drive, though I'd question whether that was really neccessary. Might be easier to have an external drive. Would be about as fast if it's media or whatever.

And honestly, if those newly release ASUS are 1st tier, an MSI GT is like 3rd tier. There will be lots of good stuff in the G15 Strix and ROG, or Lenovo Legion line that will cost far less than those 4090 carrying dual display guys.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, a usb hdd isn't going to be any slower than a sata one these days, so just get an external 4tb drive and call it a day imo.

but if you need an internal one there's plenty of laptops that ship with m.2 ssd and a 2.5" sata drive, that are both trivial to swap out, so get something with cheap options installed for those and then install your own for like $200 total. getting higher spec on a new laptop is almost always sold at ripoff prices when it's something you can easily swap out like storage/ram

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mental Hospitality posted:

This is interesting,

https://twitter.com/anandtech/status/1349446367878414336?s=20&t=oXz-Ilu4ebX6YAIbCjx4Bw

I'm kind of confused why they didn't just use a Thunderbolt interface, but it seems like a really cool concept. Does anyone know how the earlier models turned out? It does seem like it'd be a couple grand but what's also a little interesting is that it'll be available around February.

Is ASUS the only manufacture doing this?

Edit - Blah, this is the earlier RTX 3000 press release but they updated it for the RTX 4000 Mobile - ROG XG Mobile 2023

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 5, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is interesting,

https://twitter.com/anandtech/status/1349446367878414336?s=20&t=oXz-Ilu4ebX6YAIbCjx4Bw

I'm kind of confused why they didn't just use a Thunderbolt interface, but it seems like a really cool concept. Does anyone know how the earlier models turned out? It does seem like it'd be a couple grand but what's also a little interesting is that it'll be available around February.

Is ASUS the only manufacture doing this?

Edit - Blah, this is the earlier RTX 3000 press release but they updated it for the RTX 4000 Mobile - ROG XG Mobile 2023

Bandwidth. The connection uses a dedicated PCIe 3.0 x8 connection for graphics alone and then the USB-C port as part of the connection is used for the other IO. That gives it 64gbps of bandwidth for graphics rather than 40gps that Thunderbolt 4 would have. It can make a difference if you are using the internal screen of the device rather than outputting it from the external GPU. That also means you don't need to have network or other IO share in that bandwidth. The beauty is that you could still use an EGPU over thunderbolt 4 if you wanted to since it supports that as well.

Asus has been doing a good job at sticking with this interface for several generations. I have last year's Z13 Flow with an internal 3050ti. While I don't have the external GPU, I have to say a 40 series version of it intrigues me.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 5, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Truga posted:

yeah, a usb hdd isn't going to be any slower than a sata one these days, so just get an external 4tb drive and call it a day imo.

but if you need an internal one there's plenty of laptops that ship with m.2 ssd and a 2.5" sata drive, that are both trivial to swap out, so get something with cheap options installed for those and then install your own for like $200 total. getting higher spec on a new laptop is almost always sold at ripoff prices when it's something you can easily swap out like storage/ram

Yes, but I noticed in the 2022 line there's not as much. 2021 had the Legion 5 that met that, though they removed the 2.5". Course a 2021 Legion is probably a great deal if you can find one.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Would this thread be the right place to post a "There's a problem with the underside of my laptop casing, any dos/don'ts for DIY repair?" sort of question?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kalensc posted:

Would this thread be the right place to post a "There's a problem with the underside of my laptop casing, any dos/don'ts for DIY repair?" sort of question?

:justpost:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kalensc posted:

Sure.

I mean on this dying forum you can get suggestions for best mustard/deli meat combos in this thread but yeah, this is probably where you'll have a strong hit rate for repair questions.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm shopping for a new laptop for my partner as hers is finally biting the dust after about 6 good years of hard use. She doesn't need something super powerful, she mostly needs it for Adobe Suite stuff, and maybe a couple more demanding games, like Phasmophobia and Satisfactory (the latter is probably killing her current laptop, lol). It doesn't need to be super portable as it'll mostly stay at home, but I know she doesn't really want a huge laptop either. Her current laptop is probably 14 or 15" and she probably wants something around the same size.

I have a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro and I love it but it might be overkill for what she needs. I was going to stick to Lenovo/ASUS/MSI since that's what I've had in recent years and I haven't really had any issues with any of them, but I'm open to suggestions. She said she didn't really have a budget in mind but I suspect she is hoping it'll be under $1000, but a little more wouldn't break the bank.

What's good these days? It looks like the regular Legion 5s are going for under $1000, should we just grab one of those?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lockback posted:

Sure.

I mean on this dying forum you can get suggestions for best mustard/deli meat combos in this thread but yeah, this is probably where you'll have a strong hit rate for repair questions.

Inglehoffer's stone ground mustard and a good oven roasted turkey is all you need, imo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm shopping for a new laptop for my partner as hers is finally biting the dust after about 6 good years of hard use. She doesn't need something super powerful, she mostly needs it for Adobe Suite stuff, and maybe a couple more demanding games, like Phasmophobia and Satisfactory (the latter is probably killing her current laptop, lol). It doesn't need to be super portable as it'll mostly stay at home, but I know she doesn't really want a huge laptop either. Her current laptop is probably 14 or 15" and she probably wants something around the same size.

I have a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro and I love it but it might be overkill for what she needs. I was going to stick to Lenovo/ASUS/MSI since that's what I've had in recent years and I haven't really had any issues with any of them, but I'm open to suggestions. She said she didn't really have a budget in mind but I suspect she is hoping it'll be under $1000, but a little more wouldn't break the bank.

What's good these days? It looks like the regular Legion 5s are going for under $1000, should we just grab one of those?

Yeah, you probably want at least a 2060/3050ti but I'd try to get a 3060 if you can. Legion 5 for under $1000 is the best bet, MSI is good for the money but it's not as good of build quality as a Legion would be.

The G14 would also be good if she wants something a little smaller and more portable. It's what I use personally and I absolutely love it. It's $1,100 at best buy right now which is a decent price. They might dip back down to $1000 or even $900 but at the time of year we're at now that is very dependent on stock as the new stuff will be coming out soon (and probably none of it will be worth the money until the summer).
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...white/6494633.p

MockingQuantum posted:

Inglehoffer's stone ground mustard and a good oven roasted turkey is all you need, imo

Honey Mustard and a smoked sliced chicken is nice if you want something a little sweeter. Or a good Dijon with pastrami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo what are they smoking at Lenovo

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/lenovos-yoga-book-9i-is-an-unprecedented-laptop-for-people-who-hate-foldables/