Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

Re cars and national parks: I camp at the designated camp grounds around rainier a few times a year most years and the absolute worst poo poo in the world is being all snuggled in your tent and listening to nature / woods/ birds /water flowing and then just a whole loving group of motorcyles will come rippin through at like 1am. Happens every single loving time. I even once tried camping at a dead end near sol duc falls on the olympic peninsula and even then it happened and I was like what the gently caress are you people doing cutting through here at this time of night? what is wrong with you? Why do you hate peoples ears?

I should just do more BLM land / dispersed camping but my husband is a bit of a wuss about camping and wants to have facilities available so I compromise :\

Bikers are huge pieces of poo poo because they're riding half cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You know the old leftist saying: lortene ind i hundene, hundene ind i bilerne, bilerne ud af byen!
Shits into the dogs, dogs into the cars, cars out of the city

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Greg12 posted:

post yr route

ch #1

That was the initial plan, we made some adjustments along the way since we hadn't booked anything in advance:
(caught a few trains, where we didn't feel the road would be safe or we wanted to stay somewhere longer than we'd planned and then catch up)

We tried to stick to Eurovelo routes for convenience, as well as Swiss ones. (can't remember their exact name rn) The main idea was to see the lakes and a bit of the alps.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Re cars and national parks: I camp at the designated camp grounds around rainier a few times a year most years and the absolute worst poo poo in the world is being all snuggled in your tent and listening to nature / woods/ birds /water flowing and then just a whole loving group of motorcyles will come rippin through at like 1am. Happens every single loving time. I even once tried camping at a dead end near sol duc falls on the olympic peninsula and even then it happened and I was like what the gently caress are you people doing cutting through here at this time of night? what is wrong with you? Why do you hate peoples ears?

I should just do more BLM land / dispersed camping but my husband is a bit of a wuss about camping and wants to have facilities available so I compromise :\

Last time I camped in a state park I had the same experience except it was Jeeps decked out in giant confederate flags. They were in the spot next to mine. They must have entered and exited the campground half a dozen times that night. It was raining but they still had a big fire because they were basically burning a pool of lighter fluid.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Last time I camped in a state park I had the same experience except it was Jeeps decked out in giant confederate flags. They were in the spot next to mine. They must have entered and exited the campground half a dozen times that night. It was raining but they still had a big fire because they were basically burning a pool of lighter fluid.

That's so wild to me. Once I get to my camping spot I aint touchin my car until im leaving generally. The whole point is to just gently caress off from ~~ all that poo poo that reminds me of work ~~

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

silicone thrills posted:

sorry nothing we can do, loud pipes save lives

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

That's so wild to me. Once I get to my camping spot I aint touchin my car until im leaving generally. The whole point is to just gently caress off from ~~ all that poo poo that reminds me of work ~~

People approach the outdoors with this maximalist attitude that I will never understand, eg. blasting music non-stop, running a generator to power all their poo poo, chopping down trees, etc. One time in TN I set up next to a bluegrass band though, and that was really cool.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

e.pilot posted:

sorry nothing we can do, loud pipes save lives

In that you can run away if you hear a loud engine? I guess?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1609992471874007040

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

the video is striking. future generations will look upon stuff like this in horror lol. THIS is what we spent the incredible bounty of fossil fuel energy on. incredible really

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Smythe posted:

future generations will look upon stuff like this in horror lol.

incredibly optimistic post

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Smythe posted:

the video is striking. future generations will look upon stuff like this in horror lol. THIS is what we spent the incredible bounty of fossil fuel energy on. incredible really

not only is it monstrously expensive, occupies horrendous amounts of space and generates ghastly pollution, it's not even good for anyone using it!!!

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

incredibly optimistic post

future generations will be filled with the same type of morons that are in the replies posting about musk's tunnels for idiots being a traffic solution

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Have we tried digging a tunnel below this highway to let cars pass through it ? Didn't think so.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when I was a kid I dreamed of double, triple deckering the roads out of plexiglass to reduce traffic and look cool. then again I was also eight years old

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mortons stork posted:

not only is it monstrously expensive, occupies horrendous amounts of space and generates ghastly pollution, it's not even good for anyone using it!!!

crazy stuff

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/CMNelsonPhoto/status/1609928004993441794?s=20&t=ZVhn5Izyu713XglW8mvecQ

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
guy in Ferrari sees some bikes, gets furious and destroys own car

https://twitter.com/BornAKang/status/1610166800091648001

mystes
May 31, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

guy in Ferrari sees some bikes, gets furious and destroys own car

https://twitter.com/BornAKang/status/1610166800091648001
I don't even understand what's going on in this video? Like he floored the accelerator pedal and then just randomly lost traction?

I guess having never tried to drive like a complete idiot I just don't understand the physics involved?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Might have deliberately turned off traction control for reasons i guess.

Or just floored it in a bad spot and continued making mistakes on top

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

mystes posted:

I don't even understand what's going on in this video? Like he floored the accelerator pedal and then just randomly lost traction?

I guess having never tried to drive like a complete idiot I just don't understand the physics involved?

he tried to swerve at the bike to scare them and lost control, check the wheel jerk right before everything goes so very, very right.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

mystes posted:

I don't even understand what's going on in this video?

guy in a Ferrari saw some bikes, got furious and destroyed own car

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Polo-Rican posted:

guy in a Ferrari saw some bikes, got furious and destroyed own car

that’s right

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Too bad the video ends before you see the bikers turn around and piss on the idiot and his ex car probably help him and call an ambulance

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Greg12 posted:

dogs receive more training than humans and become better drivers than humans

This video is so stupid but I can't stop laughing at the 'g-funk west coast whistle' synth soundtrack.

silicone thrills posted:

Re cars and national parks: ... a whole loving group of motorcyles...

This post feels like bait designed in a lab specifically for me. Nah, not really, I mean it is fun to rip around country roads on a sportbike (ah it's just a big fuckin' bicycle, bud) but at night is crazy and I definitely agree it should be illegal around provincial parks and nature preserves.

mystes posted:

Yeah, people underestimate the power of cars like that all the time; even a small steering adjustment while you're really flooring it can break traction and if you already don't know not to do that, you're not going to figure out how to correct it without crashing.

People say Ferrari has this exclusive customer vetting process and that you basically can't just buy a Ferrari without visiting the factory and becoming a brand ambassador and all this other crazy poo poo but I dunno. There are an awful lot of videos on the internet of people at the wheel of one who seem to have zero understanding of or respect for the car.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHkpgSkxG5A&t=205s

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I thought that "influencer buys sports car and destroys it instantly" was a whole genre of videos.

The guy definitely tried to play chicken with the cyclists, except he's an idiot that doesn't know how his own car works.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Our friends the bollards have a new partner: the bus ditch. Basically you need to be bus width or two wheels to pass. It went up shortly before Christmas and has claimed 20 cars already.

Article in Danish, heavy pro car perspective: https://www.tv2nord.dk/aalborg/henriettes-bil-blev-totalskadet-i-bussluse-det-er-helt-ude-af-proportioner

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

wait, what, our world has finite resources?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oops, the pine tree has been cut down for being an insurance liability

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

Our friends the bollards have a new partner: the bus ditch. Basically you need to be bus width or two wheels to pass. It went up shortly before Christmas and has claimed 20 cars already.

Article in Danish, heavy pro car perspective: https://www.tv2nord.dk/aalborg/henriettes-bil-blev-totalskadet-i-bussluse-det-er-helt-ude-af-proportioner

:sickos:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

BonHair posted:

That's pretty cool. It's the evolution of sump breakers, a bump in the road that's high enough for a bus to clear but will destroy the oil pan on most cars. I'm guessing sump breakers don't work too well in the age of lifted trucks and SUVs, but this bus ditch should work well.

edit: Someone in those apartments needs to stick a camera out their window and start a Youtube channel.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 17:09 on Jan 4, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lets kill this guy

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
(Strapped to a chair a clockwork orange style)

I love sitting in traffic, I love it so much!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

That's pretty cool. It's the evolution of sump breakers, a bump in the road that's high enough for a bus to clear but will destroy the oil pan on most cars. I'm guessing sump breakers don't work too well in the age of lifted trucks and SUVs, but this bus ditch should work well.

edit: Someone in those apartments needs to stick a camera out their window and start a Youtube channel.

Wouldn't the trucks and SUVs be able to clear the bus pit anyway?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BonHair posted:

:sickos:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

His Purple Majesty posted:

(Strapped to a chair a clockwork orange style)

I love sitting in traffic, I love it so much!

Have literally met people who say poo poo like "I love my commute because its my ~ me ~ time" and im like bruh I sit on a bus and I can read, listen to music, play my nintendo switch, text chat with my friends on the phone..." and theyll look like ?????? because they just apparently thought you couldnt do anything on a bus or train???

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

Have literally met people who say poo poo like "I love my commute because its my ~ me ~ time" and im like bruh I sit on a bus and I can read, listen to music, play my nintendo switch, text chat with my friends on the phone..." and theyll look like ?????? because they just apparently thought you couldnt do anything on a bus or train???

excuse me but there are poors on the busses and if you look down at your phone for a second one of them will rob you blind so they can get their next fix!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
some of my most prolific times as a reader have been when my bus/tram commute was roughly equivalent to going by car not to mention not having to pay parking etc, so i could just wait for the bus to take me home and read in the meantime. also inordinately less stressful
just burning through literature, cause it kinda forced me to just dedicate my attention to the thing. much harder to do that in other moments for some reason