Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

acidx posted:

drat, after FTX that's probably half his net worth.

Awesome post/avatar combo with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

BlindSite posted:

I'm a little surprised the NFL hasn't made a decision regarding the game already but I'm happy to hear Damlin's condition hasn't worsened over night, was thinking about it a lot getting into bed.

Do we know for a fact it hasn't worsened? Is there a statement?

I hope you're right, but we don't know for sure.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

There wasn't any specific statement by anyone in regard to his condition since the one that was put out saying he had cardiac arrest and had regained a heartbeat on the field.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
All we know for certain is critical condition in the ICU after cardiac arrest.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Ches Neckbeard posted:

All we know for certain is critical condition in the ICU after cardiac arrest.

And 5 million extra reasons for him to smile after he recovers.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Why does it feel so weird to be so affected by this? Like, I’ve seen people get hurt before, even pretty badly, but this is really sticking in my mind and I can’t get it out.

His team and his family are suffering so much more, I feel like such an rear end for feeling like I have any reason to be fixated on this.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Sorry if this has been posted

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/1610373306783502336

Pretty much what everyone suspects, the league really wanted to play the game, the players/coaches refused.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Techno Remix posted:

Why does it feel so weird to be so affected by this? Like, I’ve seen people get hurt before, even pretty badly, but this is really sticking in my mind and I can’t get it out.

His team and his family are suffering so much more, I feel like such an rear end for feeling like I have any reason to be fixated on this.
Its human nature. I played EVE: Online with Chargers fan VileRat. I only interacted with him via the internet but got to know him a bit. When he died in Benghazi I was devastated and it still hurts even all these years later. I'll never meeting Damar Hamlin in person but I was witness to what happened to him and all I can think about is how he needs to be fine after this so he can put all these GoFundMe funds to good use.

syzpid posted:

Pretty much what everyone suspects, the league really wanted to play the game, the players/coaches refused.
I really dont want to see this rehashed for another 3 pages again but just because he was told to warm up does not mean the NFL phoned in and said "THE GAME MUST GO ON". People have posted what is written in the rules about what to do after a major injury and the refs initially followed those rules. Thankfully people were better than that and the players left the field instead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 4, 2023

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.
I just checked the GFM, and not only is it over $5M, but someone (Jason Hanold) donated $20,000. I don't follow football nearly enough to know if that's another player, coach, whatever - but I am just floored by it and how much the community has donated in general.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Dion Dawkins will be interviewed on CNN in a couple of minutes. Maybe we'll learn something new.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Techno Remix posted:

Nobody went into last night emotionally prepared for someone on that field to drop of cardiac arrest. Maybe the medics thought someone in the stands might with large suburb worth of people all in one place. Yeah we've seen brutal injuries watching this or if someone watches combat sports but even those full on maybe dead at the center of a stadium is a shock. It's a shock to see other people who are prepared to break bones and get head injuries on that field completely break down. We're so used to the reassurance of a thumbs up or they're stable in the hospital and awake taking some comfort in whatever injury we've seen but that didn't happen. The script we're used to completely broke.

It's normal to be concerned for another person to begin with let alone one we see personally drop like that. It's completely normal to be affected like this when you see someone just drop.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Techno Remix posted:

The trauma of watching a man drop right in front of our eyes and then the sheer emotional pain watching his teammates is pretty rough man. Also, he seemed to have been a remarkable young man who was well loved and respected all around so it's just a incredible tragedy.

Also like, this wasnt your typical broken bone as Chaz said. nor even the horrific neck injuries this was someone fighting for their life on the field for 10+ minutes with some of the best trained professionals in the world helping him... while being a stellar athlete in peak physical shape. like its tough.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Techno Remix posted:

I think in general we've become numb to most injuries, unfortunately, up to and including broken necks. I had to walk away from football for a while after I saw Jahvid Best in college suffer a nasty concussion and his body locked up in a super unnatural position. It made me want to vomit.

I think that collectively, we watch and know it's a dangerous sport replete with vicious injuries, but we never seriously consider death to be a possibiity- we know it is, and I think we've all worried at some point that we may watch the game where it happens (because we all know it will, at some point) but the realization last night that that very well could have been it shakes you to your core and, at least in my case, makes me think about taking a break again because the benefits (for me) of watching don't outweigh how I felt and what I saw last night, regardless of how rare.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Techno Remix posted:

I’m in the same boat, I think sometimes these just hit you even if you aren’t affected “directly.” For me and my immediate family, we’re such hopeless Bills fans that this game was already crazy high emotion/anticipation so then seeing this, and the team that we have pinned so much excitement and joy on both have this horrible tragedy strike and then have to see their reactions live… It was something else. Hero worship is dumb but we still do it, and suddenly when you realize that your “heroes” are just kids that are thrust into a situation confronting their own and their friend’s and teammate’s mortality suddenly and publicly, man, gently caress. It hurts.

Sure it’s not like, your family, and it’s not a large scale thing like the tragedies of a war, but so much of the circumstances around this type of thing are like perfectly crafted to short circuit your emotions and make you feel deeply invested. I mean that’s why we like sports as fans, right? Plus I think the helplessness of the whole thing stands out to me. I’d like to be able to say, “this is tragic, but they can change the pads.” Or “This is tragic, but they can screen for some condition prior to players going on field.” If this turns out to be the electrical cycle impact thing, it sure seems like we just hit the world’s worst lottery and there’s not a lot you can do if contact sports exist. I gave to the charity and weirdly, I didn’t see it as like a “I’m doing a kind gesture” or anything as much as a “I literally need to do something, and this is all I can think to do” as a personal coping mechanism.

It’s a weird situation, I didn’t expect to feel the way I do but I think you’re in the same boat and it’s okay.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Techno Remix posted:

Maybe because it seemed like something so innocuous. It seemed routine, and he's a young, physically fit athlete.

People getting hurt in bad accidents makes sense to our brains. But something like this makes no sense. A young, healthy man shouldn't go into cardiac arrest doing something he's done 1000 times before. If it happened to him it could happen to me.

At least that's where I'm at. I didn't and still don't care about NASCAR, but the seemingly minor looking crash that killed Dale Earnhardt affected me in a way similar to this.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

atomicdream posted:

I just checked the GFM, and not only is it over $5M, but someone (Jason Hanold) donated $20,000. I don't follow football nearly enough to know if that's another player, coach, whatever - but I am just floored by it and how much the community has donated in general.

This guy has been the #1 donor since last night. I just assume it's fake, but a quick search it looks legit: "CEO - Hanold Associates | National Football Foundation & College Football Hall Of Fame - Board of Trustees"

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Techno Remix posted:

For me, at least, the kind of...boring nature of the hit did something to me. I watched the first replay before realizing the terrible nature of the injury and casually mentioned to my partner that dude got his bell rung real good...and drat they Bills are going down left and right out there (they'd lost another player 2 plays before, IIRC). Of course, one replay later, the medical personnel running in from the sideline and then the extended break(s) meant something far worse. I felt dumb as gently caress for shrugging it off...but hell, we've seen these kinds of hits our whole lives and at a certain extent I think you have to be kind of numb to the violence in order to accept what you are watching every weekend. Anyways, neither of us could sleep for poo poo and it's still front and center in my head this afternoon. Hope this kid makes it through.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Also, we all like Football. Like, really really really like football. The fact that a football player can die from a normal football hit is mega disturbing and most of us have never had to confront that reality before.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

Also, we all like Football. Like, really really really like football. The fact that a football player can die from a normal football hit is mega disturbing and most of us have never had to confront that reality before.

Exactly this.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Looks like they updated the GFM owner from "Damar Hamlin" to "Damar Hamlin and Damar's Team" so hopefully that means GFM are helping them navigate the charitable explosion.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

syzpid posted:

Hamlin had multiple former acquaintances and teammates on the Bengals. The Bengals long snapper was a teammate and Tyler Boyd, probably one of the primary leaders on the roster, has known Hamlin for like a decade.

NFL teams are incestuous, They all come from the same 20 or 30 colleges.

The league would do well to remember that.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

So many professionals and he still barely survived. I don't remember who said it but that .4% survival rates for outside hospital cardiac arrests makes a bit more sense. If they had all this and one of the most fit athletes in the world... man.

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/1610386080439615490

Eifert Posting posted:

Hamlin had multiple former acquaintances and teammates on the Bengals. The Bengals long snapper was a teammate and Tyler Boyd, probably one of the primary leaders on the roster, has known Hamlin for like a decade.

NFL teams are incestuous, They all come from the same 20 or 30 colleges.

The league would do well to remember that.

Yeah, speaking of the bengals long snapper...

"Bengals long snapper Cal Adomitis, who played with Damar Hamlin at Central Catholic and Pitt, said that when Cincinnati was updated on Hamlin's status, quarterback Joe Burrow was the first one to speak up and ask if the team could visit the Bills locker room to express their support/concern."

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/4JoshReed/status/1610422377652838401

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/ColeyHarvey/status/1610424632485773312

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Uhhh that doesn’t sound great. Once is bad enough…

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, I'll defer to the medical goons, but that's not terribly promising.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do we know who this guy is? I'm getting strong "my uncle works for Nintendo" vibes but I'm also out of it and live under a rock.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do we know who this guy is? I'm getting strong "my uncle works for Nintendo" vibes but I'm also out of it and live under a rock.

Josh Reed is a Buffalo reporter, yeah.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/MattParrino/status/1610428929013055489

E: already posted. Different reporter.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

syzpid posted:

Good, they should utilize their labor power more often.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This all sounds similar to what I went through, so I really hope Hamlin makes it. I went into cardiac arrest in front of paramedics, I had to be resuscitated twice, I was on a ventilator, and I had lung damage. The doctors told me that the odds for a young person surviving a cardiac arrest are much better than average. In my case it was caused by a pulmonary embolism from an injury in beer league softball, and I went back to playing the next year. I don't know if he'll be able to play football again, but he'll have one hell of a charitable foundation to help run.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fsif posted:

Josh Reed is a Buffalo reporter, yeah.
Oh ok cool, thank you for confirming.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The B men.

Bengals

Bills

Brothers in arms.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Feel weird taking the word of unverified uncle. At least the bigger reporters could confirm the guy claiming to be his manager is.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/1610250418633969664
Just unfair that this guy got dealt this hand.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The amount of help he needs breathing going down seems very good.

Obviously the most important thing is that he lives and has quality of life, but if he has lung damage, I hope that's not it for his athletic career.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I was super concerned that he had already passed and they were keeping him functionally alive until his family could fly in. Also to buffer the time of death a few days after the incident so they could say he passed in the hospital days later, and not on the field in front of millions

Thankfully the 50% oxygen statement would suggest he’s making a recovery. Hopefully he wakes up soon and there is no permanent damage

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Medical goons.. Does 50% oxygen imply trying to ramp down a ventilator, or is it just weening off of pure O2? Like it sounds good, but does it mean he's actually starting to breathe on his own?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I don't know who can answer this (if anyone can) but in cases like this you have the patient intubated after cardiac arrest and on oxygen what do you monitor before bringing them back into consciousness? I assume part of it is you just give time for the body to heal so you leave them sedated awhile just for that. I'm guessing you then monitor like o2 saturation, pulse rate etc but what is the general procedure if anyone knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
What about a cardiac arrest would damage your lungs? And can that tell us anything about brain damage?